Mrs. Kim

The Governess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER ONE

Mrs. Kim

 

 

It proved to be quite difficult for Joohyun not to fall asleep during the long car ride to Seoul.  Her chauffeur kept to himself the whole time, so there was no noise save the car engine and the sweet hum of the classical violin music playing from the stereo.  It was quiet and warm.  On several occasions, Joohyun felt so comfortable that it impossible not to shut her eyes just for a few seconds.

            It was late in the afternoon when they reached the city; the sun shone brightly from between clusters of large white clouds.  Joohyun felt more alert now.  She sat up in her seat, looking out the window at the capital city that now surrounded her.

            She had only ever been to a big city once in her life--many years ago, before her parents had divorced, eight year-old Joohyun had accompanied her father on a brief trip to Busan.

            City life confounded her.  She never understood how people could live that way, amongst so much noise.  Even if they were a more sociable type of person, that much turbulence and distraction could now be healthy for anyone.

            Still, it was also fascinating.

            But the chauffeur kept driving, through downtown and beyond, until the buildings became shorter and shorter and more and more spread out.

            Finally, amidst the outskirts of the city, the vehicle rolled to a stop.  Joohyun felt her heart freeze in her chest momentarily.  Leaning over to see out the opposite window, she peered at the grand mansion before her with its three stories and column-lined entryway.  It was all white and grey marble and had a fountain in the middle of the circular driveway and hanging from the ceiling of the covered portico was what looked like some sort of outdoor chandelier.  The front door was French-style and painted a brilliantly contrasting shade of red.

            Behind her, the chauffeur opened the door of the car and moved aside to allow Joohyun to exit.

            “Welcome, Ms. Bae,” he said, afterwards, “to the fine estate of Mr. Kim Jun-hyeong.”

            “Thank you.”  she answered, a bit bemused.  The chauffeur just smiled, used to such a reaction from visitors, and led his ward to the front door. 

            The sound of her new heels clicking against the stone pavement of the portico was a satisfying sound, and somehow filled Joohyun with an odd sense of confidence and security.  She straightened her back and patted her hair into place as her driver unlocked the door and the two went in.

            “I’ll take your things if you wish.” he said after he shut and locked the door behind them.  Noticing Joohyun’s slightly confused expression, however, he added, “I will put them in your quarters, easily accessible to you later.  Not to worry.” Joohyun proceeded to hand her coat, bag, and umbrella to him, albeit a bit reluctantly.

            “My name is Kwangchul, by the way, Ms. Bae.  I am the family’s steward.  Do let me know if you should ever require my assistance at any time during your stay.”

            My stay?  My quarters?  “T-thank you.”  said Joohyun quickly, with a low bow.  But I haven’t even been hired yet?  Kwangchul bowed back before holding out his arm.

            “Mrs. Kim is waiting for you in the dining room.”  he said.  “I will see you at dinner, Ms. Bae.”  And with that, he disappeared into a room to the right of the foyer.

            Joohyun went into the dining room as indicated, feeling oddly out of sorts without her cell phone, which she realized she had left in the bag that had just gone with Kwangchul.

            The dining room was brightly lit and featured matching mahogany table and chairs; a chandelier even bigger and grander than the one of the porch outside; a fireplace with an obscure abstract painting hanging above it; and an incredibly elegant and sophisticated woman seated at the head of the table, pouring over a small pile of papers.

            Just as Joohyun was about to announce her entrance, the woman looked up, and immediately her features lit up.  She appeared to be somewhere in her forties, and Joohyun found her to be the most pleasant-looking woman whom she had probably ever seen in her life.

            “Ms. Bae,” said the woman, standing to take Joohyun’s hand as the two exchanged greetings. “I’m so very pleased that you were able to make it today.  Oh, you have no idea how relieved I am to have found you.”  She paused, looking back the papers that were spread

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter