v | magenta zinnias

BOUQUETS

June 20th, 2020

 

To Seungwan, the two years spent with the passionate owner of a flower shop felt like a prolonged dream. She kept expecting herself to wake up one day without Joohyun by her side, but she never had to check for them. Since moving in together into a pastel, floral apartment owned by the elder of the two, Seungwan had learned three things.

 

The first was that Joohyun was a heavy sleeper. She didn’t like to wake up and when she did she practically had to drag herself to the coffee-maker and whine when the water wasn’t filled enough. Seungwan picked up on that, by refilling it the night before so she didn’t have to deal with a devil in the morning.

 

The second was that Joohyun had a sense of quiet leadership to her. Seungwan could distinctly remember a night when she came home after picking up textbooks for the next semester of med. school. There Joohyun had sat with a notebook sketching out little drawings of flowers and their meanings, colorations. The passion and care that they put into their work was beautiful.

 

Seungwan had gently kissed the mole on top her head and had received a dolphin-squeal and a backhanded slap. (She decided not to bother hr working). Though she still visited the shop. She would wander in to see her quietly talking to her employees, pointing out certain flowers. When they dispersed she would keep watching, and afterhours would go back and rearrange things done incorrectly.

 

The third was that Joohyun was possesive. Standing together in line for coffee, Joohyun’s hand would usually find its way from her lower back to her rearend in a matter of seconds. In Seungwan’s peripheral vision she would usually see her lover glaring at people trying to ogle at her girlfriend (though Seungwan thought it was probably Joohyun instead).

 

Joohyun had taken them out on a stroll through a quiet meadow, with wildflowers that bloomed passively. Swaying in a breeze that whistled to a uncomposed tune. Joohyun brought them to a little bench, a white one with the wood chipping off in some places. An old house behind it. Seungwan knew they had walked for a while but she didn’t think it was nearly this far. She could barely see the busstop they had came from.

 

Her girlfriend tugged her onto the bench, and they mused quietly for a bit. Then Joohyun stood up and reached underneath the bench.

 

And she got on a single knee. Holding flowers that ombre from green in the centre to a beautiful magenta in a smooth transition. The other hand held out a ring, that had a little silver rose in the middle, and a beautiful diamond arising out of the centre. Joohyun cleared .

 

“Seungwan… I- These are zinnias. They mean lasting affection, and I know that’s what I have for you. Love that will last an eternity. So I want to ask. Would you be my wife?” Joohyun asked, her doe eyes reflecting the sunset.

 

Seungwan responded with a sobbed out yes, tackling her fiance to the ground, and they laid there messily kissing in an embrace. Surrounded by the flowers that would tell their love story as they bloomed around them.