iii | red tulips

BOUQUETS

May 24th, 2018

 

5:02 PM

Irene: What’s your address?

 

Upon receiving this message Wendy double--no--triple-checked her phone to see if this was correct. The living goddess of flowers (and maybe peace if you knew her name meaning) asking her? Wendy hesitantly typed in her address and room number.

 

Wendy wondered what prompted this, she had simply sent a picture of her jonquils. They were flourishing, their petals stretched out to the sun greedily and had brightened in color from when she first got them. Irene seemed proud of her from the messages that came back from the images, that had heart emojis and exclamation points at the end of each praise. Such praise made her smile, but she still contemplated the meaning of the flowers she had found. If there was one thing she knew it was that Irene doesn’t do anything without meaning.

 

She gently ran her finger along the flawless white petal of the jonquil, the smooth surface brought her face to a smile. This flower meant the world to her, she wouldn’t let it die. A quiet whistle of melody through the house, alerting her a visitor drew her away from the flower.

 

Wendy opened it and saw Irene’s wide, bunny-like eyes staring at her. Nervous, an expression Irene barely wore was there proudly. Only there before it was replaced by slanted smile, and an outstretched hands bearing tulips. Tulips that were scarlet, well-nurtured with two sitting in the pot. The leaves that sprung from the base of the flower seemed to touch the other’s, as if they were holding hands.

 

Irene rushedly spoke. “I’m sorry this was sudden, but… Did you see what the jonquils mean?”

 

Wendy blinked a few times before replying, “Yeah. I looked them up because you really like the meanings of flowers, and, yeah.” She mumbled poking her too fingers together, stepping to the side to allow the other entrance into her little apartment.

 

Irene observed for a moment, setting the flowers next to the jonquils on the countertop. Her eyes didn’t leave the flowers when she spoke next. “These flowers mean… well… declaration of love.” Wendy went rigid.

 

The older walked up to her and grabbed her hand, both of them clammy. “That’s why I’m saying… I really like you and I’d like to keep seeing you as… More than a friend.”

 

“Really?”

 

Irene’s eyes flashed up nervously. “I’m sorry if it isn’t requited.” Wendy didn’t let her finish by leaning up to kiss her lips, they were soft and supple. Yet she could feel the smile beneath Irene’s lips as the two fell into a quiet kiss.