The Human on Swaenia

For The Universe

The frigid temperature on Swaenia chills Kyungsoo to his core, his wings are uncomfortably cramped in his large parka. “How much longer?” He asks Junmyeon, a pilot in the Ivory army and the Head Chief of Swaenia. 

 

“The town is coming in close, we’re meeting him on the outskirts of my settlement” The pilot says as he briskly walks, his fur cloak billowing behind him. 

 

“My wings are killing me” Kyungsoo sighs, adjusting the flashlight in his hands, it was about midday but on a planet with limited sunlight in the year, it was pitch black around them. The snow crunching under their boots is smooth, untouched. 

 

“Only a bit longer, General Kyungsoo” Admiral Yifan pats him on the shoulder, in normal circumstances Kyungsoo would have to refer to Yifan as ‘My Prince’, but even monarchs know war is no place for titles, especially when undercover. 

 

Beside Kyungsoo, the head weapons analysts walks with ease in the snow, his thick coat concealing nearly half of his face. “How you doing Minseok?” Kyungsoo huffs, remembering the fragility of Minseok’s species. 

 

“I inserted a few electric heaters in my coat. As of right now I am okay.” He replies, not sparing a glance in Kyungsoo’s direction, Minseok’s white pupil and black sclera focused on the steady stream of white light coming from his flashlight “You should change your batteries soon, your light is turning yellow.” 

 

“There’s no need” Junmyeon almost shouts in excitement “The village is right beyond this hill.” 

 

In the heavy darkness the group of four can catch the distant gleam of lights easily. “Hot drinks on me” Yifan chuckles as they stumble over the hill, revealing a small, but impressive village built out of frosted clay bricks. In the center of town there’s a pub, buzzing with life. Outside there’s only two vehicles, one an old sled, the other an obnoxious orange hovercraft. 

 

Before they step inside Junmyeon slips a thick beanie over his head, covering the moon tattoo upon his forehead, the marker that indicates his status. The inside of the pub is warm, filled with Swaenia people. “Whatever Swaenian you know is useless, these people speak in dialect, so don’t bother” Junmyeon says as he looks around the room, in the corner there’s a lone patron sipping from a mug and writing in a book. From this distance he looks no different from everyone else in the bar, but his blue cap lets the four men know he’s the man they’re looking for. 

 

Casually, Junmyeon shouts an order to the bartender as they go to join the mysterious person in the corner. Kyungsoo warily watches the large dog like creatures running around. “What are those?” He asks Minseok

 

“Limu. They’re a common companion amongst Swaenians, excellent for hunting and protection.” Minseok replies, instantly. As expected from a so called genius amongst his peers, but most beings from Ucrion tend to outsmart those around them, as they come from an intellect based society, unlike Postea which thrives on economic social status. 

 

When they sit down the stranger doesn’t look up for a moment, finishing up whatever he was doing in his notebook “Took you guys long enough, I had enough time to eat up about six bowls of that funky rabbit soup.” He groans as he looks up, revealing a set of gleaming brown eyes, eyes which are nonexistent on this planet. 

 

“Sorry, our hovercraft broke down a few miles ago. We’ve been on foot for a while now” Yifan says as he takes out his own notebook and pen “But I’m glad to see you’ve made it all the way out here, Baekhyun.” 

 

“Yeah, well the Milky Way isn’t exactly down the block.” He sighs, leaning back “Now I only vaguely know about what exactly my role is in this mission but let me get a few things straightened out.” 

 

“What the hell is the meat inside this soup?” He asks, looking at Junmyeon, whose affectionally patting one of the large furry creatures under the table, the creatures three eyes look up at Junmyeon hopefully.  

 

“The meat in the stew comes from Kezos. You know they’re like rabbits from your world, except larger. With wings.” 

 

“It really is rabbit soup?” Baekhyun’s eyes widen “I just ate a poor little bunny” he throws his head back “I can imagine it’s cute little eyes looking up at me” 

 

“Oh no, Kezo don’t have eyes” Junmyeon smiles as he pulls a chunk of meat from Baekhyuns bowl and tosses it to the Limu under the table. 

 

“Don’t feed it, the others will come” Kyungsoo groans

 

“They’ll come regardless of meat, they sense Junmyeon” Minseok states matter of factly as the bartender from earlier approaches them and places a mug in front of everybody, along with a basket of steaming bread. “The Chief has a spiritual energy that evokes submission into them” he finishes as he takes a sip of the drink. 

 

Junmyeon doesn’t say a word, just nodding as he takes piece of bread and begins eating with earnest. 

 

“Alright” Baekhyun claps his hands “Now, I know you need me to lead you warheads into earth and help you navigate to find plans for a new weapon. That’s all I know, but I need to know what you have in mind” he says, directing most of his attention towards Yifan.

 

The Prince clears his throat “Well we’re not entirely sure. We know that there was a weapon with immense power that was created long ago, on Earth. We believe it’s the weapon we need to end this war.” 

 

Baekhyun mulls this over, scribbling into his notebook in messy handwriting “Are you talking about the weapon that virtually destroyed my planet and killed millions?” He asks. They way he says ‘my planet’ throws Kyungsoo off a bit, Earth was made inhabitable nearly seven thousand years ago, Baekhyun was born on another planet in the solar system, yet all humans Kyungsoo had ever met regarded earth as their birthplace. It baffled him. 

 

“Well.. Yes” Yifan replies

 

“That information is very classified. The people of the Milky Way don’t want just anyone knowing how their planet was ruined.”

 

“We know, we don’t exactly wish to-“ 

 

“Information like that is gonna cost the Ivory Federation some serious units.” He smirks sinisterly “The power to destroy planets is an expensive one to acquire” 

 

Yifan sighs “Kyungsoo transfer six thousand celestial coins into Baekhyun’s account” 

 

Kyungsoo does as told without question, after the transaction Baekhyun’s Nova Cell chimes. 

 

“From what I know, the weapon you’re talking about is an advanced form of the atomic bomb. It was first introduced in 1945 in the Second World War.” Baekhyun says, a new vigor in his speech after the impromptu paycheck “However The bombs dropped in the 2500’s where much more advanced. The information on them is kept away on the original Mars colony it’d be impossible to get.” 

 

Yifan sighs “Well what information is there on the original atomic bomb?” 

 

“Hold on, princess” Baekhyun holds up his hand “There is information about the advanced bomb on Earth. It’d be in what was North America.” He smiles “And for a few more coins I’ll take the four of you right to the original facility.”