Two Worlds

For The Universe

“The Great War. Can anyone tell me what they know about it?” Two different school teachers ask two different classes on two different planets. 

 

One planet is an ocean covered mass with islands made of asteroids scattered along the surface. The teacher and the pupils alike have vibrant blue eyes, like the fluorescent sea crashing against the beach outside the window. They’re all perfectly tanned with towering heights, gills on the sides of their necks. This is the planet Uaphea. 

 

The other planet, a baron desert with brick red sand is home to enormous cities that sit millions of miles away from each other, the people have eyes like the sand and thin insect like wings sprouting from their backs, varying in colors and size. This is the planet Postea. 

 

In the sea covered planet a boy with brown hair, bleached yellow from the sun, raises his hand, 

 

“Yes, Jongin?” 

 

The boy sits a bit straighter, tapping his webbed feet against the floor “Well the Great War began when the king of Postea refused to have open trade with us and had our chief assassinated.” 

 

“Very good.” 

 

On the other planet a boy with thin, clear wings that flutter nervously, raises his own hand. 

 

“Kyungsoo?” The teacher nods

 

He clears his throat “The Great War began after the barbarians on Uaphea launched an invasion on our planet, in the process having their chief killed. They lost the battle, having to retreat which is when King Wu declared war on them.”  

 

“And how did so many other planets become involved?” The teacher raises an eyebrow

 

“Uh well our allies, like Swaenia and Ucrion rushed to our aid, their own allies joined on our side to form the Ivory Federation” he looks down at his notes, flipping a few pages before finishing his answer “And Uaphea’s allies rallied to help and to gain more colonial rule, Osnazuno and Flore being the most prominent members of their alliance. Other planets soon joined their side to form the Central Union.” 

 

“Excellent job Kyungsoo” 

 

The War has been raging fifty years before these children where born, it continues as they become adults, adults who take place in their militaries, fighting for a cause long forgotten.