When I Got to Know You

Twelve Months, You’re Beautiful

I throttled through the crowd, opening the doors to the company building, the thought of me genuinely hanging out with Mr. Parks brought a small smile to my face. But, that doesn't mean anything, we're still strangers to each other and always will be.

 

Work wasn't any less depressing than my life. The overload of paperwork, nagging consumers, and ungrateful boss, it was all just so overwhelming. Sometimes I wondered why I hadn't dropped down and died yet, what was constantly pushing me to keep living if life was just so damn depressing? It didn't hold any less of a margin to the fact that I rarely left anywhere, or had friends to go out with. At this point I was practically living like a moving corpse.

 

I sighed carrying a stack of papers to my small cubical, only consisting of a desktop, a few pens and pencils, calculator, and a notepad for math. Sales wasn't exactly the funniest job in the world. I slammed the pile of papers down, taking my seat in the cubical. 

 

Well, actually...I did have a single acquaintance, he's much, much, much younger than me, but somehow found me amusing to follow, but I rarely responded to his antics.

 

I have no idea who it is though? Since he only texts me through our company messaging app. And his antics are no short of annoying. Now that I come to think about it, I hadn't really engaged in a lot of activity, I've sheltered myself in a way where I only go out with I crave something or need food, which meant grocery shopping, and of course to come to work so I could pay the bills. 

 

I took a big huff, picking out a file from the pile. Tonight...would for the first time in a long while, be me engaging with another person in a not so brief way. And of course it just had to be Mr. Park. Though, I've thought about thousands of times before, but I wonder why I'm not as sociable as I seem? It's as if an invisible barrier keeps me locked from being around other people, but it's all just me. I shook my head, I had work to do, going into deep thought wouldn't help me complete the task any sooner. 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

"How about this one?"

 

"No."

 

"This one?"

 

Jinyoung shook his head with a straight face.

 

"This!?"

 

He sighed as he massaged his temple. "Do I really have nothing to wear?" Jackson jumped up with his jaw down to the floor from the amount of clothes that literally fell from his closet like a waterfall making a flood on his bedroom floor. 

 

"You really didn't just say that right Parkgae, my ears were just clogged with FABRIC FROM YOUR HIGH CLASS CLOTHING!!! Right?" Jinyoung didn't bat an eye as he stared at his mirror, his reflection showing a sad gleam. 

 

"I just want to look really nice for him...is that really a lot to ask for?" Jackson sighed folding his arms. "You're making me curious about this childhood friend. Everything about your past is so mysterious sometimes I even wondered if you exist." A smirk grew on the other's lips.

 

"He said something like too, I tend to keep things to myself and it makes people feel cheated, like the never knew me at all, but he was the only one I could find myself opening up to." Jackson nodded, biting his lip, wanting to genuinely help is friend. 

 

"What's your friend's favorite color, or has he ever told you what you look best in?" Jinyoung's eye brow twitched, "What's with that all of a sudden?"

 

"I mean you said he doesn't remember you right? So maybe giving him some subtle hints could help with his memory, so color!?" The raven-hair laid chuckled at his blonde friend's kindness. 

 

"If I could remember correctly, he said I always look good in blue." Jackson grabbed the pieces off the floor that he could find, "Okay then a blue suite and we'll pair it with a black button-down, and a lime green tie!" Jinyoung held a disgusted look paired with a trying-hard-not-to-disagree smile. "Sure. Whatever you say Jackson, we'll go with that."

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

I had finished work just around six o'clock, I walked home, taking the train at the usual spots. The anxiety was starting to settled in, knowing that Mr. Park was going to come get me in a little short of two hours. A man like him shouldn't be around a man like me. He was gorgeous and by the way he dresses he had to be hella rich. I opened the door to my apartment, sighing at the dusty place. 

 

I couldn't even afford socks without holes. I walked to my room, staring at the abomination I called my closet. I opened the rusty doors. "Let's see what I got in this thing." 

 

He said this was an anniversary, so I shouldn't dress too casual. I decided to keep my dark slacks on and just randomly picked out a bright pink button-down. It looked new, like I never wore, and honestly, I don't even know where this came from. I don't remember in recent years ever buying a nice pink shirt like this, the fabric seemed a little out of my pay grade, but I said whatever. 

 

It was just about 7:45, I closed the door to my closet, spritzing some cologne on and grabbing my wallet. 

 

I decided to just wait outside of my home, I didn't know when he was coming, 8:00 is the ideal hour to always be late no matter who says it, my eyes had lifted up to the night sky, and the color breeze felt good against my skin. It's been a long while since I felt this peaceful, like the world wasn't drowning me. 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Jinyoung ended up coming a half an hour late, he cursed himself for letting Jackson help him out. He ended up wearing a blue sweater with black slacks and a white collared shirt underneath. He pulled up to Mark's apartment complex, noticing he was already outside. He was slightly embarrassed to have him wait but it couldn't be helped. 

 

He stopped at the sudden sight of him, he looked absolutely stunning for no apparent reason, his eyes just hovering over the other's slim frame, his eyes were closed as if he were sleeping, and Jinyoung was quite reluctant to disturb him. 

 

He pulled down his window, getting an even better view of him. Was it coincidence that he wore pink, a color Jinyoung would always teasingly say looked best on Mark when they were younger. He bit his lip, "Mark." The other opened his eyes instantly. 

 

"You're here?"

 

"I am." He chuckled. 

 

"Am I allowed to get in?" Jinyoung watched the other point to the car door, and he only nodded in response. 

 

When he got in, Jinyoung noticed immediately that the shirt he was wearing was a gift he brought him years ago, when his body wasn't fully grownup yet to even fit it properly. 

 

"Whatcha staring at me for?" He was brought out of his thoughts, his smile growing small as he began to drive, "I—it's nothing, just thought you looked beautiful."

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

We'd finally made it to the bar, and I was in all honesty, ready to get this little "date" over with, but the moment I stepped I was ing glad I dressed semi-nicely, the bar looked like something straight out of a movie and only elitist were allowed into.

 

I didn't want to even ask how much this guy's net worth was, he's probably a billionaire compared to my broke . Actually I got curious when he literally had a whole entire floor brought out, and I seriously never knew bars had floors. 

 

And this wasn't just any floor, it was the top floor. I could see my house from the windowpane. I was anxious that we were alone, but come on man! This view is totally worth one night of dealing with Mr. Park, and because I offered the idea to the table I should at least keep my end of the bargain right? Right. 

 

"Do you want anything specific?" He cooed from the private bar area. 

 

I didn't care to turn back his way. "This is to celebrate your anniversary for that friend of yours, so I'll drink whatever you drink." 

 

"Oh really." I could hear his disappointment in his voice, and somehow I sighed. "Wine. Red wine." 

 

He snorted, and I looked back all too quickly, "What's funny? You asked for my selection didn't you." He shook his head with a smile as he handed me my wine. "I just didn't think wine would be the first thing you order at a bar."

 

I sipped the alcoholic beverage, panning my gaze back to the glass window. The drink tasted rich, like it was laced with exotic grapes. Being use to cheap two dollar liquor was nothing compared to the wine I drunk here. 

 

We were silent for awhile. "I guess this anniversary must be pretty special to come to a place like this?" Jinyoung sat down in a nearby stole, placing his glass gently on the grant countertop. "Yeah. It's pretty special." His smile had that saddening taint to it, as if remembering was painful about. 

 

I focused my direction on the alcohol, spinning my finger around the glass's opening. "Do you want to talk about it?" I didn't care to look up, because in a normal situation I wouldn't even bother to ask, but maybe today he deserved my sympathy. I also didn't want to see his reaction, he probably doesn't want a stranger to know his business anyway.

 

"I do...actually. If you cared to listen." My finger stopped swirling around the cup as I looked at him. He seemed genuinely willing, if I was going to lend my ear with the same level of generosity. I nodded.

 

He fiddled with his fingers his lips curving up to speak. I waited for him.

 

"There was someone really dear to me, probably the most important thing to me, we grew up together and knew everything about one another. I don't know when it began, but I started to grow feelings for this particular pain, something I couldn't shake. So in high school, after a long time of figuring out what this feeling was, I knew it was love. When I wanted to confess to that friend, his family was moving. So, we made a promise that we tell everything we've been hiding from each other the moment he returned from his trip, we'd talk about over chocolate and mints...but, this friend never came back. He never came back. I waited for two years, and there was no words from him, until my mother came back with a terrible phone call, there was a crash those two years ago, apparent my friend's family didn't survive, but my friend...he did. When I was able to make to the hospital he lived in for this two years riddled in a coma, he wasn't there. So for five years I stayed in America trying to find my friend, but he was nowhere to be found...so I decided to give up my pursuit and return home, but..."

 

I sat there as I listened to his story, and I genuinely felt sorry for him, the amount of pain he probably went through without knowing whether his friend was okay.

 

"But?" He didn't say much more after that. 

 

"Well, today was the day we made that promise all those years ago..." I stared at him, his demeanor all sad and depressing again. 

 

"Well, what would you say if you did find him and he remembered?" It was a surprising question for Jinyoung something he didn't think I would ask or something he was hesitant to answer. I looked towards him, my chin on the palm of my hand. 

 

He just chuckled, "I'd tell him he's beautiful, and I never stopped loving him no matter how much my heart ached." He said that with the biggest smile he could mustered. 

 

And somehow I giggled, feeling that nagging thump in my heart again. This had nothing to do with me and yet, I somehow felt a little jealous that it wasn't me he was talking about. I checked my watch, using it as an excuse. "I should probably get back now." 

 

Jinyoung stood up, "I'll drive you home." 

 

I shook my head, "I can take the bus home, you driving me hear was enough compensation for being your companion for one night." 

 

Jinyoung was genuinely displeased in seeing me go home alone, but he didn't insist on the drive either, he just walked with me down the steps. "Well, can you at least call me when you get home safely."

 

I scoffed, "I don't have your number nor do I want—" Jinyoung handed me his phone number, actually forcing me to take it. "Call me immediately, and I'm serious about that."

 

I was, in all honesty scared of him, I simply smiled an awkward smile and nodded. He walked me down to the bar door. I hadn't noticed that all that was left in the bar was staff and each and everyone one of them would bow when he passed them. He had to be one of the most elite of the elites. He opened the door for me, and I turned around to face him.

 

"So, I guess that's it right?" 

 

"Nope."

 

"Whatcha mean?"

 

"You're going to date me one of these days." I shook my head chuckling, not this crap again. I walked away. 

 

"Mark!" I didn't care to turn around.

 

"I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO MARRY YOU SOMEDAY!"

 

My eyes literally popped out of my sockets. I spun around dizzy from the slap of words, "You aren't serious are you?"

 

He grinned. 

 

"You're too beautiful to be lied to." He snickered as he closed the door of the bar, my heart was pounding harder than it ever had before. 

 

Now I not only have a stalker, but he's legitimately trying to make me his bride. I knew I shouldn't have ever helped him, I should have cursed him out like I always do, ! Why, didn't I just not engaged in him at all!?

 

Jinyoung smirked as one of his personal men followed him from behind. "Make sure he get's home safely." 

 

"Yes sir!"

 

He stood before the window that he stared out of, feeling against the rail that he touched, "I wish you could remember Mark...if only you knew that everything I said was about you...now that I found you I just don't want to let you go. No matter how bruised my heart is, I'll be here for you for a long time, no matter how long it takes, I'll wait for you."

 

The clock chimed as it struck twelve.