As Before

Twelve Months, You’re Beautiful

Of course I was late! It was normal, my dreams would knock me out into a deep slumber, one that would only allow me to wake up when I was just on the verge of remembering something important.

 

I waited behind the yellow line, waiting for the train to make its way towards the station. It was here that begun it all, but...it was much more familiar now that I looked at it. I met Mr. Park at this very spot, and at the time it was nothing more than a spot I stood on everyday to get to work. But, now, like a bug crawling in my brain, it feels as if this spot, this station, and this train are very important. And somehow, with that thought alone, summoned the man I dreaded to see every now and then. 

 

Just as I got off of the train to the station that was right under my building, Jinyoung was standing right there. He had a...sad look, if that’s the right word to use for it. His features seemed more sorrowful. It wasn’t my intention to care, but for a guy that’s been all smiley and stalking me for the past year look so down, was just plain awkward, but even more saddening. 

 

I walked up to him, my briefcase swinging in front of my legs. “Mr. Park?” I rarely ever called out to him, it was always him pursuing me, but I guess in some instances we have to believe in the notion for first time for everything. He held a sad smile. “Hey.” I titled my head, not liking the response. Normally on my late days to work I’d be ready to buzz him off and spout some rude words, but I think today I can manage to be later than usual. 

 

We ended up walking, well me walking first and Jinyoung following closely behind. He was surprised when I past my job and ran up beside me. “Mark, your job is that way.” He pointed with an adorably confused look. It was unnerving that he knew where I worked, but at the same time I didn’t feel wrong, it was kinda nice to have someone wait for you when you needed them. I smiled, “I know.” It surprised Jinyoung. He just chuckled, sliding his hands into his jacket pockets looking down at the pavement. 

 

It was comfortable in the silence we shared. We stopped next to an old chocolate shop, one where the hanging sign was rusting with its hinges all busted. Yet, the savory flavor of hand made chocolate was always the same, no matter how old the shop got. Jinyoung held a gaze, one that seemed to allude him to the remnants of the past. 

 

I sat down on a bench one that sat right across from the shop. Jinyoung followed shortly after, his hands still tightly tucked away in his jacket pockets. 

 

“Why’d you bring me here?”

“You seemed down.” I kept my replies short and brief, I was waiting for him to speak up, I mean I don’t really care that much about what’s bugging him, but...it’s just weird to see someone whose always jolly, not so jolly anymore.

 

He chuckled again, the crinkles in the corner of his eyes forming. I didn’t think that would brighten his mood, but it did and I couldn’t help but smile a toothy grin. His eyes brighten with an awe, “Woah, you laughed, d-did you just laugh with me!?” I quickly stopped turning away with an embarrassing blush. “I-I certainly did not!” 

 

He bit his lip with a smirk forming, our childish behavior calming the atmosphere that was once gloomy and awkward, though Mr. Park finally decided to speak about what was bothering him. 

 

“Today’s an anniversary...” I looked to him, “An anniversary? Is it with a fiancé?” He shook his head sighing, “An important person...someone I knew long ago, something happened to them and...they had all but forgotten our promise. So, every now and then, on this day, I don’t smile very much.” I nodded. I had no idea that something like this was looming over his shoulder. He was my stalker for sure, and this wasn’t me calling a truce because I most definitely will not play into any of his games, but I don’t like seeing people down. Especially when they have such a pretty smile. 

 

“Say.” I got up, grabbing my briefcase from the ground. “Why don’t we grab a drink later today. As a way of remembering your anniversary with that someone even if they don’t remember...I mean only if you want too.” Jinyoung perked up, he stared at me, his eyes hovering over my face. I could feel my heart thump ever so slightly. “Yes. Yes, I’d love to...” He said it with no hesitation, I quickly walked away, my heart was flipping in my chest and I didn’t like the feeling at all. 

 

“I’ll pick you up at eight!” He yelled from afar, and I turned back for only a brief second before I ran back to my job in a rush. Maybe it was just me, but those eyes seemed so familiar. 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Jinyoung opened the door to his fifty million dollar home, his old time buddy Jackson sitting in his desk like a champ. 

 

“Jackson, could you please get your nasty feet off of my desk, I just had that cleaned.” Jackson laughed as he slammed his iPhone down, “So, the Park Jinyoung finally decided to come back home after his five year journey around the world to find his beloved childhood sweet heart after a tragic accident in a plane crash.” The brunette friend flooded his arms. 

 

Jinyoung pushed the man out of his way as he sat down at his desk. “Well, you could at least tell me if you found! I had to run this whole damn company while you were gone, not the mention the fact that your father is a complete pain in the and don’t even get me started on—!”

 

“If I promote you to my secretary and give you a pay raise will you shut up already?” Jackson’s eyes glowed as he sat down with his lips glued, they both smiled and laughed at each other. 

 

“But seriously Parkgae, did you find him?” He nodded in response. “Thirteen months, six hours, eighteen minutes, and fifty-three seconds ago.” He stared at the old photograph of him in high school, his arms wrapped around a small fragile boy with geeky glasses and khakis. A faint smile appearing. “Today’s our anniversary you know...he still doesn’t remember me, no matter how many times I ask him to date me, or how many times I follow him, he just doesn’t remember me at all...” Jackson held a tissue to his eye, “God this heartbreaking!” Jinyoung threw a teacup at him. 

 

“But seriously Jacks...today he noticed my sadness, the same way he did when were children. He’d act all cool in trying to make me feel better that I’ll just end up smiling a goofy smile. He hasn’t change, that beautiful kind heart that I fell in love with years ago is still there, alive and well.” Jinyoung stared out the window, sighing, “He even asked to go out for drinks...and he doesn’t even know that I’m celebrating the fact that I finally found him...the beautiful and soft soul he is. An angel...” 

 

Jackson could tell that Jinyoung wanted to cry, this was more tragic then any love story could get. Knowing that the one you love may never remember you again, will never be able to remember those memories that were formed as an inseparable bonds, it’s as if Jinyoung’s counting the time towards the day he can no longer wait for Mark, and that his heart will give out from trying to love someone who could possibly never love him back. 

 

The plane crash that took his beloved memory away...and the family he grew so attached too...was to much for the heart to bare and the mind to comprehend. And it all happened in a span of twelve months.