Crescendo of Feelings

Beauty Behind the Specs
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: For the record, I changed my username from "summerskai" to "wooperskai". That's all I want to say for now, so please enjoy the update~

 

 

The girls that harassed Mina were indefinitely suspended from the studio. Momo made sure they were punished for their actions.

 

Mina made sure the issue didn't reach her parents, especially her father because she predicted he'd use the situation as another reason Mina should leave the studio so she could have complete focus on her studies. She didn't want to be forced to leave JYP Dance Studios before graduating since she was going to dance with Momo for the showcase. The news of their team-up spread like wildfire that it became a hot topic at the studio. The not-so-subtle whispers Mina would hear whenever she in the building was a slight nuisance, but she was used to people talking about her. Many perceived her as the graceful yet stuck up ballerina with a cold exterior, and for the sake of protecting herself, she morphed her disposition to their assumptions of her. Only Jongin and a few others in her class knew that was far from the truth. At the very least, the incident with Momo's fans was resolved quietly and smoothly, and Mina hoped no other complications would arise.

 

Because of her participation in the showcase, Mina would only able to attend her ballet classes on Sundays while Saturdays would be reserved for Momo. Her ballet instructor was saddened by the news but she understood the showcase was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Mina.

 

Mina met Momo in one of the practice rooms by the ballroom dancing classes in hopes of avoiding attention from other students from their respective dance genres. Neither wanted to be disturbed while they thought about what they should do for the showcase nor did they want people peeking into their practice. It was lucky there were so many practice rooms in the building that it made it easier for them to hide. Mina removed her jacket, left in a simple tee and track pants, she began her usual set of stretches while Momo walked over to the room's stereo to set up the audio and plugged her phone into its auxiliary cord. Although she was doing her best to keep herself focused, Mina's eyes kept wandering over to Momo, specifically to Momo's exposed midriff. She had noticed the other girl had a great liking for tops that showed off her toned abs, whether it was intentional for that very purpose or because Momo genuinely wore them for comfort, Mina couldn't say and she was far too embarrassed to ask.

 

Come on, Myoui Mina. Focus. Focus! You're being ridiculous.

 

“You ready to get started?” Momo called.

 

Mina blinked several times to snap herself out of her inner thoughts then gave Momo a nod, standing up and walking over. "I am. What are we working on first?"

 

"Since you've only done ballet, I'm guessing you've never choreographed anything in your life, right?" Mina nodded again and tilted her head to one side, wondering where the line of questioning was going. Momo continued. "Alright. I'll take the lead in creating the choreography once we pick a song, and then, you can pitch in any ideas."

 

"I have no objections," Mina said.

 

"Great. But first, I need to get an idea of your style of dancing and how quickly you can adapt. Can you do some freestyle ballet for me?"

 

"E-Eh?" Mina was caught off-guard. She wasn't expecting such a request, and a sudden wave of nervousness crashed inside the pit of her stomach. "Freestyle ballet?"

 

"Yeah," Momo beamed. "I'm going to play a well-known piece, specifically Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker Suite, and I want you to dance however you'd like."

 

"Can't I follow the choreography from The Nutcracker?"

 

"That defeats the purpose of the exercise. Now, are you ready?"

 

Mina was far from ready and her heart was beating at an alarming rate but it was too late for protest once the familiar orchestrated piece began to play in the room. Momo began the song where the strings started the rhythm of the waltz that was soon followed by the french horns regally entering into the piece. Unsure of what to do, Mina began to move but she unintentionally started to dance to the actual choreography from the ballet production that she clumsily changed from one position to another and leapt and hopped off-tempo. She tried to freestyle but the feeling of being unprepared for the exercise and with Momo watching her intently and closely while wearing a neutral expression made it difficult. All those factors combined was making Mina both nervous and frustrated with herself for not being able to show Momo her true potential as a ballerina. If her peers and instructors could see her now, Mina was certain they would laugh or be disappointed in her. Possibly both.

 

Three minutes into the song, Mina stopped and stood where she was, face flushed with embarrassment and frustration. Momo paused the song and walked over to Mina. "Why did you stop?"

 

"I can't do it," Mina answered dejectedly. "I don't know how to improvise on the spot, Momo-kun."

 

"Of course you can!" Momo insisted and gave Mina an encouraged pat on the shoulder. "I think you were overthinking it. It's really not as hard as you think it is."

 

Mina wasn't so sure about that and continued to stare down at her feet despondently. "Easy for you to say."

 

"No, it's true! Have you ever listened to a song that instantly made you move? Like the rhythm seeped into your muscle and bones and you began to move on your own? To me, that's how you start to freestyle. The music guides you and you interpret the song with your body. So as cliché as it sounds, don't think. Feel."

 

Mina nodded as she drank in Momo's explanation, finding sense in it. All her life she was strictly taught grace and precision had to be integrated into her movement that it was very difficult for her to allow herself to free herself from those restrictions that were rigorously hammered into her form. But she wasn't in ballet class right now. She was alone in a practice room with Momo where those rules don't apply.

 

"I think I understand better now," Mina mused quietly, then looked up and gave Momo an affectionate smile. "Thank you. I'd like to try again if that's okay."

 

Momo grinned broadly and gave her a thumbs up. "More thank okay." Momo shuffled back to the stereo and rewound the song. "From the top, Mina-chan!"

 

The song started off just like before. Mina took a slow, deep breath. Her feet began to move automatically but unlike before, Mina focused on the music. The "1-2-3" rhythm familiar to waltzes acting as a guide on how she should move. She swayed along to the sound of the french horns with her hips and arms, tiptoeing across the floor. Her pace picked up once the clarinet and the flute answered each other in a series of sixteenth notes that lead into a crescendo that burst into an orchestra of strings that played her favorite part of the piece that everyone knew. Mina smiled as she spun in place on her toes then glided across the floor with arms outstretched, tucked in when she twirled. She positioned herself for an échappé then lifted each knee to a down beat, leading to an stretched out, perpendicular left lift. The more she allowed the music to guide her, the more fun Mina was having. She wasn't self-conscious or concerned about impressing Momo; she was happily content to be moving with the music.

 

At the end of the movement, Mina turned to Momo and confidently struck a pose while on pointed toes and arms in the fifth position, a smile radiating on her face amidst the sweat and heavy breathing. Momo cheered and clapped energetically, mimicking Mina's gummy grin with her own toothy grin. "That was beautif

Please log in to read the full chapter