Who is Hirai Momo?

Beauty Behind the Specs
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was ironic that less than 24 hours ago Mina hoped that fate would intervene so she would stop crossing paths with Momo so frequently outside of homeroom but after yesterday, the vice-president had to stop herself from glancing at the new student every chance she could. In class, Momo sat a couple rows behind her to her left and would sometimes pretend to knock off a mechanical pencil or eraser just to shift in her seat to see what Momo was doing, even if it was only for a split second, before picking up whatever she dropped and facing forward. It was a silly habit she had to eventually stop when her neighboring classmates at how often she had begun dropping her belongings from her desk saying that she was getting to Sana's level of clumsiness and that was something Mina never wanted to reach.

On the topic of clumsiness, Mina noticed that Momo was clumsy herself (or maybe she was paying too much attention to Momo than she'd like to admit). The spectacled girl would often trip over her shoelaces because she failed to notice they were untied. There were times, three to be exact, that Mina watched Momo's face collide with the classroom door when she came in late with each time Mina had to stifle and hold back her laughter. Momo would forget to zip up her backpack which caused the her notebooks and textbooks to fall out. Momo refused to wait to open her canned soda when the machine dispensed the drink and was violently sprayed with carbonated liquid. Momo had accidently spilled water on her homework seconds before handing it in (it was a wonder Sunye sunsaengnim even accepted the drenched piece of paper that was somehow still legible). Sometimes, Momo would trip over nothing and fall onto her knees in the hallway.

It was almost ridiculous to witness these acts of clumsiness and slight stupidity, it almost made Mina worry about the poor girl. Jihyo shared her sentiments but Sana was having a kick out of it, probably delighted that there was someone as clumsy as her, perhaps even more clumsy than Sana by that point. 

"Should you really be laughing, Sana? You're the president and have an image to uphold," Jihyo chided, pointing out Sana's behavior.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I can't help it. I know I shouldn't be laughing but how can you not smile at least? She has this sort of charm whenever she's clumsy, it's almost endearing. I should thank her for making my days a bit brighter," Sana casually commented with a laugh.

Mina silently agreed with her friend.

The following afternoon once the students were dismissed for the day, Mina was putting away her things in her locker and out of the corner of her eye, she could see Momo's familiar bobbed haircut and saw she was walking and chatting with Nayeon and Dahyun (she had recently accepted that it was going to be impossible to avoid Momo). Although she was facing the inside of her locker, the spectacled trio were close enough for Mina to eavesdrop on.

"Honestly, Momo. This is the third time this week that you've misplaced your glasses." Mina heard Nayeon sigh exasperately. "You're lucky you have me and Dahyun to come to your rescue."

"If it wasn't for me guiding you till we found them, I'm sure you would have walked into open lockers and doors all day," Dahyun laughed and playfully poked at Momo's upper arm.

"Believe me when I say I'm eternally grateful for you two. I'm aware that I'm a danger to myself." Momo joined in on the laughter and placed her arms around Dahyun and Nayeon while wearing a big grin. "Without my glasses, I'm blind as a bat."

Mina's ears perked at Momo's last words just as the three of them walked away, closing her locker and observing Momo a moment longer. Blind? Mina knew those glasses were fake and were all for show so why would Momo lie about her vision? She assumed Momo's eyesight was good enough for her to see in class since she was seated towards the back. either that or Momo secretly wore contacts behind the fake specs. The more Mina dwelled on the question, it started to occur to her that maybe Momo's lack of finesse was all an act, that she also wasn't as clumsy as she was letting everyone else believe. If that was the case, Momo was quite the actress and was deceiving everyone, Mina included if she never noticed the detail about Momo's glasses. She wondered what could be Momo's motive for her to hide her true self like this.

Suddenly, Momo became an enigma, a mystery, in Mina's eyes and she not help but be even more curious and intrigued by Hirai Momo.

 

 

"Hey, Mina. Do you mind doing me a favor and dropping this form off at Sohee sunsaengnim's office?" Sana approached her with hands pressed together and a head bow. "The video game club has enough members and signatures to start up the club and they simply need her approval. I'd do it myself but I have a meeting to go to and I can't miss it."

Mina took the form and glanced over it b

Please log in to read the full chapter