Everything

The angel with no wings

“For the devil’s sake, she’s an angel!” The girl hissed, her forked tongue slipping out of before she swallowed them in again. She was red from the alcohol and she was a little tipsy but it doesn’t stop her from speaking her mind.

The dark-haired girl groaned and slammed her head onto the table, her horns just inches away from hitting the table along with her forehead. That would’ve been painful. “I know.” She sounded exasperated and almost desperate in a manner.

Her long black dress hit the ground and her headdress shone brightly with every hit of light. She was glowing but clearly uncomfortable with the heels as she had taken them off and strewn them on the ground beside her seat. The gorgon was in full glory. The snakes on the tips of her hair were up and slithering about, swaying from left to right and staring at others with their beady eyes. They weren’t really interested in the master’s conversation with the devil. She had on a long black robe with gold tassel wrapped around her waist. The v-neck of the robe extended down pretty low and she was the embodiment of y. Black-green scales covered parts of her legs as well as arms.

“Plus unnie, she’s a woman.” The gorgon added more salt to the wound as if the first comment she made wasn’t vexing enough. The devil just groaned in response.

Byul Yi didn’t wanted this to happen, at least not like this. She didn’t even knew she was going to grow fond of the angel. Now she’s just yearning and anticipating to see the face of the angel even if she wishes against it. She didn’t understand what this feeling was. She just simply wanted to see her again. She sighed.

Just then a voice called out to her from behind.

“Unnie!”

Byul Yi whipped her head in the direction of the familiar voice almost immediately to be welcomed by the sight of her two younger sisters. Both of them had similar-looking horns and headdress as Byul Yi just that the gems were different. One had a yellow gem and the other a pink gem.

“Seulgi! YooA! What brings both of you here?” Byul Yi stood up while the two girls walked towards her with a smile. They were half-siblings but they were closest among the children the king has. It wasn’t rare for the king to have many wives and many children. Not every child of his were named after his surname which created a variation of surnames in the midst of his children.

Kang Seulgi, the girl with the yellow gem was the fourth princess, the one after Byul Yi. She had jet black hair and cute baby bangs. She was a pretty individual with snow white skin and sharp eyes. Her eyes were the same as Byul Yi-pitch black with bright red irises. They were just the eyes of the devil. A black velvet asymmetrical dress clung onto her body and a black fur coat was slug over her shoulders. She was decorated in gold jewellery which contrasted against the black and her yellow gem shone brightly on every piece of jewellery she had on.

YooA, the other with the baby pink gem was the sixth princess, one of the youngest of them all. Her face was small and her features resembled one of a doll. Her straight black hair cascaded beautifully down her small back and rested just above her waist. She was a different type of beauty from the other two, one almost too innocent and unfitted for the world she was born in. A beautiful black gown wrapped around her small body. The sleeves hung around her shoulders and the gown hit the ground ever so slightly, giving her an illusion of a longer body. The baby pink fitted her so perfectly as it shone against the harsh lighting and pitch darkness.

“Father wanted us to give you this!” YooA dished out a file and handed it over to Byul Yi, smiling sweetly at her beloved sister. If they weren’t sisters, YooA wouldn’t have minded dating Byul Yi but that thought was immediately cancelled out the moment Byul Yi flipped open the file.

Inside contained the information of several princes from all around the Underworld. The second prince of the North, fourth prince of the West and even her own half-brother, the second prince. The three princesses stared wide-eyed at the document that was supposed to be given to Byul Yi. It was her dad’s way of telling her to get married.

“Even MinHyuk-oppa?!” HyeJin peeked over Byul Yi’s shoulder to witness all the commotion. A look of disgust took over her face the moment the document was flipped to the page on the second prince, Byul Yi’s half-brother. “You two even look alike, it’s creepy.”

Byul Yi gave her knowing glance with a slight tinge of disgust before flipping to the next page.

“Ah Jiyong-oppa!” YooA squealed at the sight of the familiar man. Kwon Jiyong was YooA’s eyecandy from the West kingdom. He was however, a man Byul Yi detest due to his unkind and proud character towards his people. The same hatred was shared with Seulgi as both of the older princesses exchanged disgusted looks with the youngest. The disapproval was mutual.

“There really isn’t any good ones in there.” Seulgi casually commented as Byul Yi tidied up the documents and encased them back in the file. Then it hit her. “Ah, except Jin-oppa since both of you are good friends.”

Byul Yi stared hard at Seulgi for a second or two before sighing. She was right afterall. If she had to marry one of the men in the document, she would’ve went with Jin since they were friends. “Can you return this to Father and tell him that I am not going to date nor marry anyone soon.”

YooA took the file from the girl’s hand and nodded before the girl took off without any further notice, leaving the three behind her.

First the angel and now an arranged marriage. Her life sure is sailing smoothly.

-

“Daddy, what did you call me for?” The young angel stumbled into the throne room and stood before her father yet again. A familiar face stood beside her father with a wide smile, his eyes crinkling up as the ends of his lips curved up.

“Eric was looking for you, Yong Sun.” He extended his hand out to bring the man to attention as if Yong Sun wasn’t already looking at him. The man walked towards Yong Sun with a bright smile and wide arms, and he soon enveloped Yong Sun in a crushing hug.

“It’s been long, Yong Sun.”

Yong Sun blinked twice with wide eyes and she pushed the man away from her, detaching him from her body. She gave a weak smile as compared to the man’s beaming one. “H-Hello Eric-oppa.”

Eric Nam was her arranged fiancé who came to like her more than she thought he would. The feeling was however not reciprocated the same manner but that was something nobody needed to know. It was an arranged marriage for a reason and even if she didn’t like him the way he liked her, she still has to marry the man.

To be the prestigious fiancé of Yong Sun, Eric was the fourth prince of the Northern Kingdom, the fourth son of the God of water. He was quite a popular topic around Heaven, being one of the most successful prince. He was said to be the successor to his father. People were jealous of Yong Sun for Eric was charming, handsome and powerful. Everybody wanted to be Yong Sun except for Yong Sun herself.

“How have you been?” They walked down the hallway of the palace. It was uncomfortably quiet for Yong Sun. Eric’s loud and enthusiastic voice echoed down the hallway, his eyes filled with love as he continues to stare at the angel as they walked.

“Oh it has been great.” She laughed awkwardly. She really hate meaningless small talks like this, especially with someone she has 0 interest about. It was mean of her to think like this but she really wanted Eric to stop talking altogether and leave her alone even though she knew that that was the last time Eric would do.

Eric continued to converse with Yong Sun who was obviously uninterested but the mad love he has for her was blinding him to notice that. She was tired mentally and physically and the last time she wanted to do was to bond with a man she is engaged to only for the royal blood running in his veins.

She impatiently checked her watch and thank the Heavens for her time to escape had arrived.

“Sorry Eric-oppa, I have to go now. I’m running late for my job. See you.” She bid him goodbye and hastily kissed his cheek (as an obligatory greeting because they are engaged). That was also the first and last time she smiled at him that day. At least the kiss kept him happy and on his toes.

-

The sky grew dark and the human traffic was slowly coming to an end, leaving only empty streets and strong wind. The night was always oddly peaceful yet unsettling.

“Today’s the last day huh…” Byul Yi said softly, almost like a reminder to herself. Yong Sun looked up from her document with a mildly sad expression. It was a pity that today was the last day of working together. She would’ve loved to see the devil’s beautiful face again. She could admire her for eternity even.

“Well, we can always meet for coffee or something?” Her eyes were hopefully and they were so bright as if actual stars were trapped in them. Byul Yi looked over and smiled solemnly. The angel was so new to this that she didn’t knew that devils and angels being together even as friends was a taboo subject. It would be difficult with the eyes on everybody on you, watching your every move especially since they were both princesses.

“We could.” Her voice was almost sad. It came out half-hearted and that made Yong Sun raised her brows questioningly. Byul Yi averted her gaze and avoided looking at the angel’s curious eyes. It was almost contagious even.

“What do you me-.”

“It’s time to work.” Byul Yi cut her off abruptly. It came as a surprise to the angel who never got such a treatment from anybody ever. Byul Yi however remained emotionless and did not show a single sign of apology. The black wings flapped in the cold night air and she launched forward, passing through the walls. She swung a metal chain in her hands and quickly apprehended the dead man’s soul the moment it came out of him. The man was now dead and chains were wrapped around his soul. Byul Yi strode out of the building, bypassing the walls and holding the man in the chains wrapped around her arms. Yong Sun watched in awe and admiration. Byul Yi was exceptionally cool and it made the angel’s heart fluttered for a moment.

“Shall we go?” The devil snapped Yong Sun out of her trance. She blinked and looked away, shy from being exposed for staring at the devil and quietly nodded. Byul Yi thought nothing much of it. She couldn’t really think of anything anyways. Their relationship was forbidden.

They took off quietly, making a beeline for Hell through the portal Byul Yi opened. It was time to wrap this up.

-

“We’re finally done!” the angel stretched her arms out in the air and twisted her body a little. They had been sitting for hours, reporting the man’s biography for trial. It would’ve ended earlier if the man hadn’t tried to retaliate and lie about his sins.

Byul Yi smiled at the girl’s celebratory mood. She was used to this routine unlike the angel, it didn’t really affect her. It’s not like time was important to immortal beings such as they themselves.

“What are you smiling about?” Yong Sun hopped two steps forward and turned her back to face the devil while continuing to walk backwards, a cute smile on her face as she inquired. Byul Yi looked at her and just shrugged, the grin still plastered on her face. Yong Sun pouted again, just like how she always does when Byul Yi doesn’t answer her questions. It was a trick only she could do.

“Smiling because I’m walking beside a pretty girl.” Byul Yi’s grin got wider and her eyes reflecting a playful glint. She always enjoyed talking like this and teasing the angel. She loved the reactions she could get from her which was not something she could normally get out of people in Hell.

Yong Sun’s face turned tomato red in a split second. She playfully hit the devil on her shoulder but the smile still on her face. “Stop being so greasy! It’s weird!” She always claim things to be weird it didn’t even bothered Byul Yi anymore.

“What’s weird about the truth?” Byul Yi grinned like an old man and winked. She was fully enjoying this.

Laughter soon echoed through the once empty hallway. It was weird for hell to be so happily noisy. All of a sudden it seems so much more bearable and enjoyable in Hell. Or at least that was what Byul Yi thought.

That happiness was however short-lived when they reached the main entrance. It was finally time for the angel to return to her home, to heaven. Byul Yi didn’t know why but she had to fight the urge to hold back the angel, to make the angel prolong her stay. She really didn’t want the angel to go.

Yong Sun too, felt a tug in her heart. She really didn’t want to leave here. It wasn’t like she grew fond of Hell. She grew fond of the precious devil she met 3 days ago. Her heart grew blue.

“Hey-.” They both said at the same time. The awkward silence took over for a minute or two before the two burst out into giggles. The devil gestured for the angel to go first.

“I was just thinking if you have a mobile phone.”

She thought she heard wrongly but the angel’s voice was as clear as water. “Oh yeah, I do.”

Yong Sun extended her hand out, much like how she extended her hand when they first met. Byul Yi just looked at her questioningly.

“Idiot, give me your phone.” She laughed at how puzzled and lost the devil looked. Byul Yi turned red from embarrassment but passed the laughing girl her phone nonetheless. She didn’t even know why her guard was down to the point where she could give the angel her phone so nonchalantly. It just felt right.

Yong Sun tapped away at the screen before her own mobile phone rang. She ended the call and passed the devil’s phone back with a cute grin. Her smile was so precious it was almost illegal.

“Now I have your number!”

Then Byul Yi realised. She could no longer escape from the clutches of the angel. It was not that she disliked it but the unsettling feeling in her heart just wouldn’t disappear. She felt happy but at the same time not. It was conflicting and she hated it but she smiled at the pure being nonetheless. At least it meant that this was not going to be their last time seeing each other. Byul Yi was contented at the mere thought of that, nothing else really mattered anymore.

The angel soon bode her farewells and left for heaven, leaving the devil waving aimlessly at the sky. Friendships and relationships between angels and devils were rare and it was a stigma but why should they separate due to a mere taboo. It might be worth a try to go against the stigma. Just once in Byul Yi’s life, she wanted to go against the odds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fina-fking-ly im back and this wasn't even what I worked on recently fml I was so busy with school and work that I was so glad I wrote beforehand hahahahah this is one long chapter but idk where to stop so let's just live it as that

hope I can update soon because me being a pile of is not going to help me with anything.