Sweets

Anthology of Pining

Sana gets sick often. If she isn't yet sick, then an illness is slowly invading her body. She didn't ever contract anything deadly, per se, just your everyday cold, cough, fever and the likes. Her immune system just can't keep up with her.

She'ss a regular now, at her local pharmacy and family doctor. She's basically a staple to them that they even offer her a discount for her visits and purchases - not that any other customer and patient knew.

Sana is always sick but she never lets that bring her down.

“Lemme guess,” Dahyun closes her eyes, her fingers pinching at her nose, striking a mocking pose of deep thought. “Today, you have fruit salad, an all vege sandwich, and some gross green juice.”

Playing along, Sana claps in amazement whilst everyone else threw out their best ooos and ahhs. Her lunch always consisted of everything Dahyun listed. High in vitamins and good fats, her parents try their best to keep her healthy.

“Thank you, thank you,” Dahyun bows at her audience.

The sun is warm on her skin, like a cozy blanket wrapping around her. She uses Jeongyeon’s lap as a pillow, soaking in as much vitamin D as she can before lunch is over. She loves this, meeting up with everyone at their designated tree. It is as if she's having a picnic with her friends, everyday.

“So,” a finger prods at her forehead. “I heard your favourite person comes back today.”

Sana only smiles, because everyone already knew her answer to that statement.

After school, a ten minute bike ride away, it's a routine. Her local pharmacy and family doctor were separated but also joined. Two buildings merged as one is her third home - first was her actual home, second the designated tree. The receptionist, Ms. Nam, has even created a ‘parking spot’ for her, little sign and all with her name on it. She finds it adorable. Ms. Nam’s children are off at college, so she basically adopted Sana as her daughter.

The middle aged lady always slips in some sweets for her at the register. Sometimes, she even gives her loose cough drops, saves her from buying a packet. Today, she only winks at Sana, sliding her paper bag full of refilled vitamin bottles.

“Well well, robbing us dry of pills again today, Ms. Minatozaki?”

Ms. Nam smiles like a happy mother at how wide Sana smiles, eyes gleaming at the voice behind her. She pulls a face and gives Sana quick nods, gearing her up for the little altercation. Like a mother prepping her child up for some sort of sport's match. Sana nods back before dropping her smile, replacing it with a nonchalant one.

“You'll be a drought once I'm done with you.”

She holds the taller woman’s eye contact, restraining the smile that's fighting to be released at seeing the woman in front of her. Seeing her after her long absence has her all jittery, but Sana is nothing if not competitive, so she clenches her fists, doing anything not to let her feelings show. She's not going to lose, not this time.

It was neither her nor the woman in pink scrubs who broke the silence, it was Ms. Nam’s muffled giggle. And that's all it took. Sana could never hold back her laughter, the littlest thing could set her off. Ms. Nam’s laugh that consists of high pitched exhales and snorts on the inhale was more than enough for her to erupt.

The woman in pink could only smile, a short chuckle leaving her lips as she watches Sana bend over, no sign of containing her laughter.

“It’s good to have you back, Nurse Hirai.”

“Please, call me Momo, Ms. Nam.”

Sana is still wiping her tears when the rhythmic beeping of the nurse’s pager goes off. She stares, in admiration, as Momo quickly grabs at the device strapped to the band of her pants.

“I gotta go,” she gives a nod to Ms. Nam and a wink to Sana.

Sana watches as she scurries off into the clinic side of the building. She's about to leave when the woman pivots on the spot. A colourful bottle is flung her way and Sana barely grabs onto it for dear life.

“Stop seducing Ms. Nam for sweets. Those are for kids, should suit your sweet tooth well.” She’s given a cheeky smile before the woman disappears.

The bottle was indeed for kids, aged 8-12. Vitamin gummies.

Sana leaves the building with a spring in her step and a tug in her chest. Indeed, her favourite person was back, and she couldn't have been any happier.