CHAPTER 3

LEGACY OF LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

⚜⚜⚜

Yixing stopped eating as he heard his phone vibrated, indicating there’s a message coming in. He unlocked his phone. Tao eyebrow’s raised as confusion written all over Yixing’s face.

‘Hyung… where are you now? Free to meet me? Got something to talk.’ -Soo

‘I’m having dinner with Tao at restaurant near my house. You wanna join us?’ – Yixing

Yixing replied, expecting Kyungsoo to accept his invitation.

‘Sure! I'll come there in 30 minutes. Share the restaurant’s location. Make sure both of you wait for me. Don’t finish the food so fast.’ –Kyungsoo.

Yixing noted the urgency of Kyungsoo’s reply. He didn’t know what was keeping that guy very hasty.

‘We’re eating slowly now Kyungsoo. No worries. Ha-ha.’ – Yixing

He was clueless why Kyungsoo was rushing to see him tonight and very impatient to wait for the next day. For what Yixing remember, both of them are on duty tomorrow in the same shift.

Maybe he got urgent thing to discuss...

“What’s wrong Hyung? You’ve been staring at the screen for God knows how long. You got on call tonight from the hospital? If yes… just go. Your patient is more important than our dinner anyway.” Tao gave his permission. He knew about his friend's career so well. The life of a person is much more important over their trivial matters. No matter what he did at that time, Yixing has to left for duty and be fast to treat the patient. That’s the sacrifice of a doctor.

“Nope. It’s not from hospital. It’s from Kyungsoo. He wants to come here.” Yixing’s words killed Tao’s curiosity.

“Owh. I’m surprised! Two doctors having a dinner with me! Why so sudden? I thought he’s on duty.” Tao chopped into his steak and took a large mouthful of meat. His eyebrows rose even further. The wine marinade chef had used on the steak was magnificent.

Damn the steak is nice!

“His shift finished an hour ago. Maybe he’s lonely. That’s why he wanna come here.” Yixing gave his guessing.

“Be realistic hyung! Kyungsoo hyung will never feel lonely. He doesn’t care about that at all. He can even survive in deserted place alone.” Tao laughed.

“Hey, he’s our friend plus your hyung. It's not nice for you to say that, ya know." Then Yixing paused. But, honestly… yeah… it’s true. Kyungsoo personality is like that. He likes to be alone. So, LONELY word will never exist in his dictionary.” Yixing agreed. For him, Kyungsoo is unique. Although he may looks blur at times, but he is very smart. Looks can be deceiving. He looks clueless, but he can analyse things wisely. He looks ignorant, but he care about people around him the most. Maybe not so obvious, but he is. That’s why he suit to be a doctor.

Even so, Tao was still highly suspicious as to why Kyungsoo wanted to have a dinner with them. “So, there’s nothing you hide from us? I won’t let it pass, hyung.”

“There’s nothing to hide, Tao-ah. Definitely not a big deal. Don’t let your steak gets cold.” Yixing smiled faintly as Tao sank down on his chair. “It’s fabulous.”

“Yeah. This is very great, hyung!” Tao sighed and took another mouthful, finishing his steak with a large bite.

“Guys…! Are you talking bad about me? The vibe is so strong here.” Kyungsoo greeted them from Tao’s back.

Tao almost chocked on his food hearing the voice. Kyungsoo came to his side, hurrying back with a glass of water. Tao grabbed it immediately and swallowed down the big lump of food that had been half way down his throat. His eyes were watering. He glanced at Kyungsoo menacingly.

“The , hyung! Why you come out of nowhere? Do you always did this to your patient? The heart attack’s case must be risen every day because of you.” Tao rubbed his chest with his right hand. His breath also getting hard. Yixing laughed. He knew as he already saw Kyungsoo walking towards their place. He just don’t want to tell Tao. Indeed his prank turned out very successful.

“Hey, don’t blame me. Out of place, why you guys choose this place to sit? It’s too far at the back. Luckily I walked down till here and saw you guys were having fun eating and perhaps, said some bad things about me.” Kyungsoo’s eyes become big. It’s like hitting bull’s eyes, Tao gasped, unable to utter a single rebuke.

“You think too much Kyungsoo. Come, have a seat and order you food.” Yixing invited him with smile, while Kyungsoo sit next to Tao.

“Excuse me guys. I need to go to the restroom first. Will be back soon.” Tao interrupted, trying to sound calm, but with a clear tinge of urgency. Without waiting for reply, he stood up and went to the washroom at the back of the restaurant. He really need to settle his business first, not like he’s avoiding Kyungsoo or find an excuse to run away.

Kyungsoo wriggled his eyebrows at Yixing over Tao’s behaviour. Knowing this was only the right time to ask, Yixing pressed on.

“So, what you want to ask me?” Yixing noted the way Kyungsoo turned fidgety and appeared unsettled.

“It’s about Kim Tia. Who is she, hyung? Why she looks so terrible? I'm wondering are you the caused of her misery or is this about someone else?”

“Woah, wait! One by one Kyungsoo. How you know about her?” Yixing was taken back but try to conceal his shock.

“She in came to the hospital in wet clothes. I don’t know why she wanted to be in the heavy rain this morning just to come to see you. Did she call you before to confirm your shift?”

“Nope. How can she call me, Kyungsoo? She doesn’t have my number. Hospital procedure, remember? Okay, we will discuss about it later but I can't promise you today. I don’t want to discuss patient's matter in front of Tao. He will feel uncomfortable.”

Kyungsoo frowned, not expecting to hear that at all. He couldn’t wait for any more days to hear the details about Tia’s conditions. “Okay. You’re right. Tell me in detail. Everything!” he warned. Yixing puts his hand up surrendering. He know he can never ran away from answering Kyungsoo's questions anyway.

"Yes Kyungsoo. I promise. Now order your food. Tao will be suspicious with us if he see you didn't order anything yet."

---------

Upon reaching home, Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief, finally his tiring day is over. However, his tiredness began to pile up only when his back reached his bed. The exhaustion was taking over him and he didn’t have energy to change his clothes, let alone taking a shower. Kyungsoo closed his eyes for a moment. His mind still came back to his conversations with Yixing last dinner and he began to feel light headed.

In his difficulty, Kyungsoo rolled over to reach for his phone that was lying carelessly on his pillow next to him. Dialling Yixing’s number immediately. The tone went for a while before he heard Yixing’s faint “Hello.” On the line.

“Hyung...”

Recognizing the voice, Yixing said, “Nae Kyungsoo-ah.” Wanting to sound as energize as he could but not pulling it off.

Briefly, his eyes drifted over the clock on the wall. Its 10 minutes passed midnight. Yixing had just done his job for the day and he think it was the right moment to talk about the matter. Kyungsoo took his breath and braced himself to hear the entire story. The curiosity was killing him softly inside.

“I’m sorry for calling such late at night… But hyung, can we talk now?”

Yixing went silent. Kyungsoo bit his lips and waited, until Yixing speak again.

“Okay.” Sighed a defeated Yixing. “Remember last week I told you to meet one of my patient but you can’t because apparently you need to head back home first since your parents visiting you that day?”

Kyungsoo frowned and kept on thinking. It happened during last week, if he hadn’t forgotten. Yixing asked for his help when he was rushing to go home and Yixing was just as desperate for help but he rejected the older as politely as he can.

“Yes…You asked me to look after that girl…..” Then, it clicks him.

Yixing butts in, “It’s her, Kyungsoo. Kim Tia. Her friend brought her to the hospital after she found her unconscious in the house. I treated her. She looked too weak to even try and open her eyes. The most surprising part was, her hands got many scratch like someone used the knife to make the lines. Other than that, her vital signs was stable. So, I got curious what happened to her actually? But her friend, Kim Taeyeon, seemed has no answer or pretend to not know the answer.”

“Hurm…, maybe she has an emotional distraction or been abused by someone?” Kyungsoo said instantly, afraid as Yixing that her illness taking a bad turn. At the first sight, the sickness appeared transparent on her face and Kyungsoo took notice how fragile that little body was. Her arms were as thin as her wrists. If Yixing hadn’t said anything about her age, Kyungsoo would have thought Tia is much younger than her age.

“I also concluded like that. I tried to make her say something after she's awake the next day but I failed. She repeated many times that she’s fine till one day her friend brought her again to our hospital. Well, her health doesn’t improve, still as weak, but she was awake unlike the first time we met.”

“Huh? Repeatedly? She really likes repeating her words isn’t she? She called out your name for so many times!” Kyungsoo sneered at Yixing’s reply.

There’s so much distressed in Yixing’s voice. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to feel the outrage within, threatening to explode. He hated the fact that no matter how many people taken pity on her, she was given so many chances to survive but it doesn’t look like she took care of herself and just let her sickness taken over.

“Hurm…, I can see that. It’s one of her habit I guess. Ha-ha. Owh, ya… during the second time she warded, I saw by myself she tried to scratch her hands. Luckily, my instinct said to check on her condition late at night. She was surprised when I caught her.”

Yixing’s direct answer turned Kyungsoo into mad fury.

“Wow! Why did she hurt herself till that extend? Hyung, I think she have this sick mental illness. Don’t you think so? I cannot help you in this case. I suggest you to hand this case to Psychiatrist or Psychologist department.” Kyungsoo grimaced for an instant and shook his head. He did not mean to take his ire out on the girl. He was not responsible for the words in the mouth. It came out of shocked because it sounds to him that Tia was unwilling to help herself.

Yixing replied almost hastily, “She is not crazy, Kyungsoo. She’s normal like us and she doesn't need to meet Psychologist because she, herself is a counsellor. She also own a good reputation in her carrier. She works at ‘The Counselling Place’ in town. You know about that place, right?”

“Of course. It’s a famous place for that service.….” Kyung paused. Resting his head on the headstand with a hand rubbing on his face, it was shocking news and he was having hard time to absorb all the newfound information about the girl he just thought crazy. “Guess it’s true, hyung. Crazy person which has a good life and carrier exist in our world. Public cannot recognise them because they’re living normally, like us.”

“Yup, it's true. I searched for her record everywhere but I find nothing. No hospital has confirm she’s under list and I’m confident she is not insane. Most of this information came from her, Kyungsoo. She shared with me about her life. The reason I want you to meet her, is because you and her are same aged. Perhaps, both of you can be a good friend. I want you to break her wall. I also don’t know why I’m thinking like this. But, trust me, I really think that you’re the only doctor that can heal her."

What? Be-befriended her?

The silence ensued longer than it was supposedly should has. The request was too sudden and it was unsettling. Kyungsoo didn't know how much this will affect him and he didn't know how much power he had to heal her and Yixing probably read what's in his mind.

"Don’t worry Kyungsoo. I’m not forcing you. You have the right to decline my offer.” Yixing said, his tone is dead serious now.

Kyungsoo lowered his voice and shifted his feet nervously, “She wanted to see you this morning because she has something to share?”

“I guess yes. When she’s well, she likes to talk. Not that talkative but enough said that she just want to share her stories. You have to be patience when you’re listening to her because she will say it one by one. It’s kinda slow... We can’t cut her words because she will automatically shut and never talk to you till she’s ready again to tell you." Yixing warned.

Kyungsoo sighed and shook his head as he didn’t know if he's capable enough to approach Tia. He barely spoke to strangers before unless when he was working. Kyungsoo figures it may takes some time for them to get closer and it was starting to give him headache. Then he heard ruffled sound in the background and there was a voice calling out for Yixing. Kyungsoo straightened up immediately, can’t wait to end the call as he think he had enough for today.

“Ahh… Kyungsoo-ah. It’s getting late now. I need to head home.”

“Alright, hyung.” Kyungsoo said following sickening laugh, “Regarding this matter, I will think first and update you my confirmation later.”

“Sure. No problem Kyungsoo. Good night.” Yixing rushed his goodbye and ended the call.

“Good night, hyung.” Kyungsoo mumbled in the dead line and his head fell back to the pillow. He could feel his heart jerking painfully beneath his ribs as he replayed his conversation with Tia in his mind.

How could Yixing have implied that I can take over the job?

Now that he realized it was way more complicated than what he saw, his curiosity finally became the burden and Kyungsoo definitely didn’t like where these leads him to.

 

 

“Can I have Caramel TomNccino and Honey Butter Bread?” Chanyeol grinned towards the cashier, tapping his fingers lightly on the table when it was finally his turn to order.

“Sure, sir. Don’t want to add anything?” The boy offered with a polite smile.

“Nope, enough only that.” Replied Chanyeol while gave out some cash after he saw the price appeared on the screen.

“Thank you. This is your balance and buzzer. Do come to the ‘pick up counter’ after it buzzed.” The boy bowed lightly.

The words left his mind like a wind. It was so repetitive in Chanyeol’s opinion and he felt like he didn’t have obligations to hear it. “Nae…Nae. Thanks.” Chanyeol lazily took the buzzer and turned back to find any empty seat for him to settle down.

Aish! I wonder why the staff keeps on repeating the things. I’m a regular customer here, not a foreigner. Of course I know when and where to collect my order after the buzzer buzzed. It’s a typical Korean style by the way. 

Chanyeol was busy cursing that same barista that he bumped onto someone without his knowing.

”Ouch!” He heard a pain voice and a head hit his chest. Chanyeol blinked in confusion as he was pushed backwards several steps from the impact. His hand automatically rubbed his chest and when he looked up, his eyes drifted on a girl, around his age was doing the same motion.  She was seen moving backward a bit while rubbing her forehead in agony.

Okay, is it my fault?

Chanyeol said hastily, “I’m sorry miss…”

“No. No. No. it’s me. I just walked from my seat and turned to my left. I didn’t notice you’re walking on this line.” The girl quickly interrupt.

He pondered where he had seen that familiar face before and it clicked in his mind of what had happened to Minseok outside his café a week ago.

It’s her.

“It’s my fault too. I'm was focusing at the other side to find a seat. The café is so pack, a bit difficult for me to find one.” He smiled sheepishly. That sudden feeling of embarrassment left her baffled.

“Owh, you can sit with me. There are another two empty chairs at my table.” Invited the girl since she sit there alone.

“I….” He felt the vibration in his hand. Chanyeol took a peek at the counter and in the distance, he saw the barista waving at his direction. “Yes. Sure! But let me take my meal first.” The girl nodded and smiled. Seeing her actions, he felt as if he was in the cloud nine. It was their first encounter but it left him with such a good impression on her. 

Today my luck is shining brightly. I clearly remember her face. Did heaven answer my call? I’m not gonna lose this chance.

Chanyeol picked up his meal tray at the counter and carried it towards the girl’s place in instance. He sat without hesitation and started to enjoy his food. Ironically, the girl was so engrossed with her phone and had not realise that Chanyeol already claimed his seat.

“Do you want some? It’s delicious.” Chanyeol offered his bread, hoping that the girl won’t reject his advances. However, the girl just gave him a glare.

“It’s okay. I had that one too before.” She politely rejected him.

Chanyeol exclaimed, “Really?  Whoa…We have similar taste! Hurm, this is such a beautiful coincidence. Is it a sign for us to be….” his words got cut off mid-sentence. 

“Eh? Isn’t everybody just love honey butter bread? I won’t call this coincidence. I heard this is the most recommended dish that you must try in Tom N Toms Coffee. So no wonder people are craving for it and same goes with me. It’s their main attraction anyway; the most voted one by the loyal customer.” Replied the girl with confident as she wanted to stop Chanyeol for being so dreamy.

“Yes…, you’re right.” Shy smile crept on his lips.

“By the way, I’m Chanyeol.” His right hand moved forward, wanting to shake hand with the other side as a proper introduction. The girls blinked her eyes in one…two…three.  Obviously at loss. Finally she returned his handshake.

“Hi Chanyeol-shi.” An awkward voice tone can be heard. Clearly, the girl was uncomfortable. She quickly pulled out her hand from his grip. Chanyeol baffled. She switched her attention to her drink.  

Why is she being like this?

“Your name…?” Chanyeol asked, smiling as sweetly as he could, masking his true feelings of slob. It took him for a while to grab her attention back and it’s killing him. Although she didn’t mean it directly but if Chanyeol can count, he never felt this much of humiliation in his life. People will usually greet you back and tell their name as you did before. The manner that everyone should know, but this girl…

She shook my hand… means she’s willing to introduce herself or she really thinks that her name is a nation’s secret or something? Oh god! You shouldn’t be too friendly Chanyeol!

“My name um…um...name is….” Her phone rang loudly and Chanyeol’s hand can felt the table shook lightly caused by the loud vibration of her phone.

“Pardon me a second.”  The girl punched the answer button and walked away, finding some privacy for her conversation with the caller. Chanyeol’s eyes followed the girl’s back as she went out from the café. He lost in his train of thought for a moment.

It’s a good thing I’m alone here. No Baekhyun, no Jongdae even no Sehun! If they know that I was rejected by some random girl…they will tease me endlessly. It’s your mistake Chanyeol! Why are you so interested to know that girl? She just a girl that Minseok hyung bumped into yesterday.

Chanyeol rubbed his face many times, hoping that it would make himself awake. Suddenly he lost his appetite. The smell of delicious food didn’t seem so tempting anymore. The girl failed to appreciate his company. He only knew that his sense of pride made the time seem tickling so slow and his soul ached.

 Moment later, she came in looking unsettled. “Hem….Chanyeol-shi, sorry again. I have to go now.”

His eyes widen in surprised, he almost spit out his drink. Chanyeol looked at her, who was avoiding his gaze. “Wha-“

“Bye!” The girl said self-consciously, packing her thing and rushing out of the door before Chanyeol could say another word.

 

Wow! Now, I’m really a loner!!! Damn! Thanks to that anonymous girl!!!

A voice shouted in his mind. Chanyeol tried to calm himself. He took a sip of his drink, leaning forward in his seat while shook his head in annoyance. She had left. Left him without an explanation. He felt like he had been used. Now, he was not necessarily expecting more- but nor was he clear there would be no more lingering feelings.

this, Park Chanyeol! You can find better girl!

 

Leaning against his chair looking distinctly bored, he reached for his phone and started scrolling through his messages to ease down his disturbing thought. Suddenly he heard someone said. “Chanyeol-shi….. Sorry. I felt guilty. I’m Ara. Ok. Bye!”

His head snapped up in utter alarm, “Huh?” That girl came back, informed her name to him and disappeared again. It happened just in a blink of eyes.  

“Wait a minute!” Chanyeol stood up immediately, trying to run after her. His eyes searching wildly outside but he lost her in a mess of crowds. His mind racing. “That damn girl sure ran fast! Where did she go?”

I better call Minseok hyung and tell him bout this!

He sighed in frustration and got a phone in his hand to make a call. “Hyung! Are you busy? I’ve something to tell about. I really don’t know how the hell this happening and I don’t have any idea that I met with her-” He said rapidly. He was having hard time to stop but then he was distracted by Minseok laugh.

“God…you sound rough. Dude, are you okay?” Said Minseok.

“Fine.” Chanyeol coughed, gasping for air.

“Not so busy right now. So, what’s up?”

 “I met with the girl!”

“Who? Which girl?” Minseok asked, definitely sound confused.

“The one you bumped into yesterday! I met her and she told me her name. Her name is Ara, hyung.”

“Huh? Ara?”

“Yes!” Chanyeol cursed aloud, almost got frustrated by the lack of reaction on the other line. “I really can’t believe it hyung! I got her name!”

There is a pause on the other line before Minseok asked, “So…did you get her number?” that got him thinking what he had done all this time when she was there? Chanyeol bit his lip. That was one hell of a question.

“Not…yet…”

Minseok snorted, “Then…, there is not a great achievement Yeol. By the way, why you’re so interested with that girl? She was so arrogant last time. I knew it was partly my mistake, but I didn't expect her drastic reaction.”

“I don’t know hyung… I just met her here in Tom N Toms Coffee. She’s different from the last time I saw her. She’s nice even a bit strict and unfriendly.”

 “You are in that coffee shop???” Chanyeol grimaced as he heard Minseok screamed, “Hey, you should support my business not my rival!!!”

“Ha-ha hyung. Sorry. Your café is far away from my office.” An awkward laugh left his mouth and then there was dead silence. Chanyeol couldn’t tell if the boy was offended with his jokes and so he goes on.  “Eyy, come on, hyung. This café is not your rival. Your café is so high up there. It’s the best among the best! A premium coffee shop.”

“Shut it. You won’t get free shot even if you keep on going like this…” Minseok said in a funny voice.  

 “If I bring her to your café, maybe I’ll get something….”

“So there’s gonna be next time?” Chanyeol frowned. Outside the café he lingered, watching people going in and out of the door. He hoped to be left this time as well. His original purpose of enjoying his day off faded next to his growing affection for Ara and he needed to get back on track. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter