CHAPTER 2

LEGACY OF LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚜⚜⚜

Love itself is calm, Turbulance arrive from individual

“Beep…beep…beep…” The loud sound from his phone awakened Kyungsoo, distracted his deep slumber. He almost gasped realizing the mess it caused. Empty bottles spattered everywhere on the floor. Kyungsoo wobbles, struggles to find his phone since he couldn’t pin point where his phone was located. He checked under the tables and between spaces of the cushion seat. Stepping carefully so that he didn’t trip over Sehun, who found asleep on the cold floor. Kyungsoo heard his phone rang for umpteenth times.

“… … !” He rushed to follow the sound again and before it’s ended, Kyungsoo spotted his phone lying beside the desk lamp. Then, it stops ringing. His alarm chimes right after.

03.02.2018

2nd late night shift – 3 a.m

Kyungsoo then hurried away before bidding goodbyes.

 

Doctors and nurses begin to file in as 10 AM come around. They all lived on the same side of the creek inside the hospital. In fact, Kyungsoo was the only few staff that had to cross the bridge to return home. He got a hot meal at the commissary this morning and found refuge in a staff room that was built especially for any staff member that worked late.

As his late night shift ended, Kyungsoo burst through out the doors, cursing about the storm that continued for the whole night till morning. He was in deep thought when he passed by the sound of people bickering at the front counter.

Kyungsoo turned his head to hear what was happening. There were some conversation involved and then there was one sharp voice clearly ordered the nurse to make another emergency call. Looking to see the source of the voice, he sensed the presence of a girl.

At this distance, Kyungsoo studied the girl. Her hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail and her clothes were flirty wet probably due to the standing in the rain for too long. Another strand of hair covering her eyes to some extend but she didn’t bother to brush it aside.

His brows wriggled, she looked as if she hadn’t slept for a week.

 “Can’t you reach him again? Please. I need to see him. This is urgent.”

Then he saw the nurse shook her head, the girl looked rather confused, Kyungsoo’s face puzzled at the exchange. The situation demanded instant action on the part of the girl who did not acknowledge Yixing’s absence, while he hardly knows who she is. Kyungsoo stared helplessly about her. She was perplexed.  

“She has been alerted and she will be here soon.”

Her face promptly scrunched to a frown, “She? My doctor is Mr Zhang Yixing.”

Nurse Sunye quickly interrupted, “I’m sorry Ms Tia… He’s not on duty now. I’m afraid you can’t meet him today.”

“I need to see Doctor Yixing.” She pleaded. Kyungsoo saw a glimpse of disgust was thrown towards her. The nurses began to whisper amongst themselves about her misfortune.

“I’m so sorry miss. There’s nothing much I can do. You can come another day. Thank you.”

Taking a breath, she stepped back and closed her eyes. Looks like she prayed, hoping Yixing would appear in front of her in second. Obviously, it feels as her world will collapse. Her lips quivered as she mouthing a silent cry of Yixing’s name. It was suffocating to be in the room full with judging stares, so Tia turned to make her exit, coming face to face with Kyungsoo.

Her face paled as she noticed Kyungsoo was staring down at her, as he’s waiting for her to speak. But she didn’t.

“You look troubled. How can I help you, Miss?” Kyungsoo asked softly. Tia only gave him a silent nod before uttering the name like a mantra, “Yi…xing… Yi-Yixing. Yixing.”

“Currently, Doctor Yixing would not be present. He’s off duty. Or I can call Doctor Seohyun to assist you? She’s very good, very capable. You’ll love her.”

“Yixing… Yixing.” Kyungsoo let out a pitiful sigh. The girl was visibly not listening to him, continuously calling out for Yixing’s name.

“I suggest you go home first, change your clothes and take some long rest or something. And then come back again later so you won’t be wasting time sitting here like a mad lady, waiting for Doctor Yixing.”

“Yi..xing..” Tia almost got teary when she was asked to leave again.

“Hey… hey… calm down girl!” Kyungsoo grabbed both her arms to keep her still and looked deep into Tia’s eyes, his words broke in exasperations, “Hear me out this once time, okay! I will inform Doctor Yixing about your whereabouts and ask him to call you as soon as he’s back. Promise. Now, don’t feel bothered. Just go home first.”

Fortunately for him, the girl finally has the gut to leave. 

Poor girl. She seemed to be in a lot of trouble.

Kyungsoo’s eyes instinctively followed her as she move past and ran out of the door.

It was her pace that initially distinguished her from those when she navigate around. The pace seemed almost she’s at lost and he wondered how long she would keep it up in her confused state till eventually recover again.

 

Coffee and Love taste best when its hot

 “How was it?”

 “I still feel a bit dizzy. I don’t even think I can walk straight. How am I supposed to go working in this condition? It feels like I’m gonna collapse anytime soon. My job is on the line right now. I’m screwed.”

Chanyeol shook his head slowly and winced from the hangover headache. Fear danced in his eyes. He swiped his hand over his face several times again, as if he could make this all just a nightmare. He put his palms on either side of his head and squeezed. “Oh God. What did I do?” He croaked.

Chanyeol didn’t get drunk very often, but when he did, he didn’t try to hide it like Minseok usually did. He stopped pinching his head and just stared at Minseok now, not sure what to expect from his friend. Would he be mad after all what happened last night? Minseok make a face like he was ready to swallow him alive.

“Haven’t I warned you yesterday to stop drinking?” Minseok hissed in annoyance, crossing his arm and turned away from him. Chanyeol shook his head disagreed.

“I didn’t drink myself into oblivion. I definitely know my limit.”

“Little bastard, you just won’t listen to me.” He shot him a demanding look, as if he wasn’t going to drop the topic anytime soon. While Chanyeol’s ears started ringing because of the sudden outburst.

“I’m certainly not in the mood to hear you cussing me out, hyung.” Chanyeol growled in protest.

Minseok sighed in defeat and went behind the counter to make Chanyeol a cup of coffee.         

“You know, I’m not a fan of alcohol and so do Jongin. Last night he only ordered juices. I guess we have something in common. Even if Jongin hates coffee, he will choose latté over vodka anytime. Unlike you.”

As Minseok said the words, the scent of coffee permeated Chanyeol’s hangover and made his mouth water, which was a welcome relief from the dryness.                                                                           

“You’re already half-fifty and a damn good barista. You sure know how to tackle coffee not vodka.”

Minseok scoffed. “Just yesterday we were celebrating Sehun’s 26th birthday and if I’m not mistaken, you’re two years older than him. May I remind you that you’re now part of this half-fifty club too? So, I think we can safely retire that old joke now.”

Chanyeol couldn’t help but to laugh at the comment drew from him, even if he wanted to die from embarrassment of getting to be called old folks among the members.

Minseok held up a cup to him, “Since I don’t know how you like it, I took a chance with more cream less sugar. Want some?”

Desperately. “Yes, please. Thanks, hyung.”

Chanyeol took another sip of his coffee while observing some workers who was scurrying from the opposite road to the subway station, each holding an umbrella in hand. It was a bad morning in Seoul. The street crew were out in force, clearing the main streets and salting everywhere.

 “Damn rain! If it’s not stopping soon, I need to use subway.” Chanyeol murmured.

Minseok was finishing his cleaning of the café, satisfied with all equipment ready and tables cleaned, he exhaled huge amount of relief as he looked at his watch. It was nine in the morning. “I guess I had better get started,” Minseok said. He slipped on his black apron, adjusted his white shirt and fixed his hair for the last time. He took a final look around the café, wondering if he missed out anything in the process.

Chanyeol’s eyeing Minseok piled the rubbish at one end and shuffle out of the door to throw it into the nearest dustbin.

Minseok was about to return back inside when him and another girl bumped into each other. The girl eyes wide in disbelieve as she slipped and dropped her book bag. The impact caused her notebook sheets of paper with notes on them scattered on the floor.

He gasped and went rigid as he saw the bag fall helplessly on the wet ground. Being the gentleman, Minseok help her to pick up the papers.

“I’m so sorry for bumping into you. I can be so clumsy sometimes.”  Minseok said apologetically. 

Ara collects her papers in dismay. This would be the first time her paper flies all over the place and nearly drop in the poodles of water nearby. As she picked up the last piece, she saw some black ink ched the nice colourful surface, gave out the illusion of black dirt. Ara cursed inwardly. It gives her the idea of ripping the guy’s apart, right here, right now. In compensation for her losses as the paper caused her so much of a hard work plus days of sleepless night.

“Ughh… Such a bad luck,” Ara cursed, almost irritably. She couldn’t help herself from getting mad and replied him in such rudeness. “Never mind, maybe next time you should be more careful and look where you were going.”

“Yeah, it’s my fault. I’m sorry again.”

They both stood up from bending after he helped her getting all the stuff up off the ground. They stared at each other for two seconds, and then Minseok introduced himself.

“My name is Kim Minseok. Er… I’m actually the owner of this café.”

Ara stared just where Minseok pointed, to the counter of his urban café. She had vaguely noticed a rather suspicious looking guy standing just near the door. Once in a while, he seems to be glanced outside until their eyes met. The guy immediately looked away and pretending to play with his phone.

“Mmmm… okay.”

“You see…  I was contemplating if you want to have a drink? I want to redeem myself. Let me treat you with some of our best espresso.”

Ara’s face darkened at the interruption and suddenly didn’t seem want to get into any further conversation, so making her goodbyes. “I don’t really have time for that. I’m already late for work.”

“But-” Ara cut him short. Minseok knew he had ed up. “Later, maybe…..”

“If you insist...” Minseok bowed politely, not saying anything, caught up perhaps in the coldness of her tone.

Ara walked down the station without bidding goodbye, while Minseok was still gazing at her. He was silently hoping he wouldn’t ruin the girl’s entire day. He had caused enough of a trouble. “Bye!”  He waved his hand enthusiastically and yelled in front of that many people, “Have a nice day!”

For a moment he sighed and went inside with heavy heart.

“ing hell…!” Minseok came back dusting his wet hair.

On Impulse Chanyeol ran to his side, grinning like an idiot. “Oh, it looks like someone was falling in love...”

Minseok whispered out, rubbing his forehead that was creased with worries, “Oh lord, don’t start...”

“A guy meeting a pretty girl in the rain and then, falling in love. Mmmm…. that was cliché.” Chanyeol put his fingers under his chin and stared at the ceiling as he searched his mind for bits of gory history. “I know you are trying to push her buttons.”

“Meaning what?” Minseok fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter