Chapter 2

Matching Error

The blazing heat outside makes Jaemin regret that he joined his friend for their trip to the shop owned by Chenle’s mom. But he need to, as his friends still don’t have any idea that maybe he won’t register for the Matching Banquet.

They just got off the train, staying in a shaded bench outside the terminal. The heat feels like burning their skin, their clothes are now having some wet marks due to their sweats, starting to get irritated to the hot temperature, breathing thick air that just make everything much worst.

“I have enough. I will now request and send a message to the food sorters if they can allow me to have some cold sweet drinks now.” Chenle said in a desperate manner, rummaged his bag to get his tablet, opening the portal and directly sending a request to the Food Department.

“I think we all need to send a request now, or we all going to end up fainting while on our way to the shop.” Mark said, instructing both Jaemin and Jeno to do the same thing, hoping that they are not the only citizen that struggling in the extreme heat now and pleading the Food Department to let them have drink cold drinks.

They patiently hoping, waiting for a good response from the department, or they will need to satisfy their thirst by drinking cold water (that they also need to declare in the portal as every food and liquid intakes need to be stated).

After waiting for around five minutes, their portals all started to blink and ring, an approved request was sent, together with some reminders of what do’s and don’ts they need to remember upon ordering their drinks, and a note that their meals later will be adjusted after taking too much sweets than the daily recommended.

They looked for a shop that sells cold drinks, tap their scancards to enter, ordered their desired drinks, surrendered their portals to the server who encoded and declared to the Food Department what are the drinks that they ordered, and Chenle pay for it; they that it was his idea in the first place, so he better treat them all. As rule, they need to finish their drinks in the shop, as it is a violation to eat or drink on the street.

 

 

It is quarter to five noon, fifteen minutes before the closing time, the four boys finally reached the formal wear shop. Upon tapping there scancards, the store employee approached them quickly, saying a welcoming greeting while flashing his dimples and bright smile. The employee noticed Chenle right away, bow to him, and lead them to the lounge of the store, as if his waiting for them whole day.

“You’re the only one left here?” Chenle asked the employee, moving his head, searching for the other workers.

“Other staffs are already at the employee’s room, preparing to leave, I already instructed them that they should off as they usually do, and let me assist you. I don’t want them to have some violation for not reaching their homes on time before dinner or as stated on their daily to-do’s.” The employee with the name tag “Jaehyun” answered.

“How about you? Aren’t you going to have a violation too for staying here beyond the closing time?” Mark asked, feeling a little bit guilty that they reached the shop too late.

“No, everything’s okay for me. Well, it is hard to explain but trust me, I am not restricted like you when it comes on meal time.” Jaehyun answered them while scratching his nape, showing that he’s uncomfortable for the sudden shift of attention that he gained.

Since all of them already stated last night in their portals and personal schedule that they will visit the clothing shop, their “curfew” for meal time was pushed for an hour, letting them to not have any violation even though they are not yet in their houses at exactly six pm; the time set by the Council for a family dinner time.

“We need to hurry then!” Jaehyun said, clapping his hands to get the boys attention, “May I have your tablets? I need to check your personal information so I will know what are the formal outfits I must suggest for you.”

 

 

 

Mark reached his home on time as he stated on his portal, his food for dinner was also delivered at the same time. He ate it as fast as he can, burning his mouth a little as the food was delivered piping hot unlike how lukewarm dinner food was. He’s in such a hurry manner, promised Jeno that he will meet him in half an hour. After Mark changed his clothes and checked if his portal and scancard was in his bag, he talked to his parents that he will leave for a while and meet Jeno.

It is allowed to go somewhere beyond the time of six or seven, but in condition that they must already finished their meal and be at home before ten which is the curfew and time to sleep. Sleeping past ten pm means a violation will be encoded to their portal.

The roads are empty together with the dark night sky, giving a sad tone for the town. The light poles are the only thing that gives warm and light in the cold streets, making Mark feel safer as he walks alone. As he past outside the train station, he witnessed how the dull train tracks in the daylight turns into a beautiful path, glowing. The train rushes past him, carrying people who was permitted to come home late, past the regulated time. He’s now two streets away from the park across the game center, the place where Jeno was waiting for him.

“Hey!” Mark shouted as he runs toward Jeno.

As Jeno saw him, taking out a folder from his bag, and placing his bag on the bench after. “I think you forgot about this.” Jeno extent his arm, flashing his eye smile while giving paper to Mark, “It is the form for the Matching Banquet confirmation.”

“I need to fill up a form? I thought I just need to register it in my portal?” Mark asked, startled, eyes expanding. He remembered that he encoded as a task for day last night that he must register for the Banquet.

“Yeah? I registered last night, and a notice popped up saying that I need to fill up something to complete my registration. I got those forms from the department, together with Jaemin.”

“Jaemin also registered? Oh, I am the only one left here then.” Mark used a teasing toned voice, raising his hands, showing an over-reacted expression to Jeno.

“No? Jaemin got the form, not for him but for you. I asked him why, but he just shrugged.” A pinch of worry and curiosity are can be found in Jeno’s voice, trying to explain things to the older. Mark’s eyebrow rose a notch, he wants to ask something, a question why would Jaemin acted like that; but he decided against it, thinking that maybe Jeno does not any answer for it, too.

“I told you, he is being indecisive for this.” Mark said instead, wanting to raise his voice. He can’t and don’t want to show to Jeno that he’s fussing about Jaemin too much, so he just used a ‘I-told-you’ tone.

“Maybe he’s still analyzing everything, Mark,” Jeno spoke in a panic tainted voice, in contrast that he said it to calm the older, “or maybe he’s nervous for the Banquet that’s why he is having some doubt for it.”

Mark just shrugged as a response. He doesn’t want to cause any commotion or misunderstanding; he just wants to know what does Jaemin’s plan, concern for him, and he promise to respect it no matter what. It is just that he hopes that the younger knows the consequences of not attending the Matching Banquet.

The sound of cascading water from the fountain consumes their awkward atmosphere. No one dares to speak a word or spill some thoughts about their friend’s situation. They both know that at some point, they are crossing their lines, gasping issues in their hands which in the first place was not for them. Being a friend to Jaemin is enough to give them a right to care for him, but not to the extent of invalidating his decisions.

“I think we should go home now.” Jeno speak as he picks up his bag. It is safe to end the conversation that way, rather than letting the older think and assess the whole Jaemin’s situation.  

“Yeah. I think so, too. Be safe.” Mark responded in a dull voice. Feeling guilty for opening up the issue and doubts about his friend, again. Mark make he’s way to his house, thinking about how he can make Jaemin admit something, or maybe just talk to him about his thoughts for the Banquet. He can’t stop, admits that maybe he already stepped over his line as friend, convincing himself that he is just concern.

 

 

 

It was early morning, Jaemin makes sure that no one, from Jeno, Mark, and Chenle, will know that he’s going to the shop before he goes to their school. He needs to inform the shop assistant that he won’t attend the Banquet, cancelled his order for the suit, and keep it a secret to his friends. He’s nervous, to the point that he almost left his scancard in his room, and hesitating at the same time, knowing that the employee might not cooperate with him. He planned everything he will do last night, from the time he need to ride the train, to what exact words he will say, and things to do incase the stranger will judge him and spill his request to Chenle.

He tapped his scancard and opened the glass door of the shop. The shop’s ambiance is much better than last night; he loves how elegant and neat everything, from the display outfits to lounge to the fitting rooms. He looked for the shop employee that assist them yesterday, but he failed to do so. An unknown face greeted him, asking if he can do anything to help.

“How can I help you, sir?” the employee asked him, giving him a warm smile.

“I am looking for someone. I t-think his name is Jae..hyun? something like that.” Jaemin stuttered, speaking in his soft voice, ashamed that he is unsure for the name of the person he is looking for as he barely looked in the name tag of the employee last night.

The employee recognized the name, nodded, instructed Jaemin that he should wait in the lounge area.

As soon as Jaehyun met and greeted him, Jaemin breathe heavily before he utters a word, explained immediately that he will going to cancel the formal outfits that he ordered last night, making sure he can convince the guy in front of him without giving away too much details. He also mentioned that he can’t accept it, even though it is for free as a gift coming from Chenle’s mom.

Jaehyun listened to Jaemin, calmly, trying to keep his poker face as much as possible, listing down all his question for the younger.

“If you don’t mind, may I know why you don’t want to attend the Banquet? I will keep it as a secret don’t worry.” Jaehyun decided to ask this question first. He does have a long list of questions to ask, something to satisfy his curiosity, trying to understand the boy’s point-of-view. He hopes that he delivered his words in a way that the younger can trace some concern coming from him.

Jaemin’s body language revealed that he’s ashamed to confess, hesitating if he should trust the stranger in front of him, avoiding any eye contact from the guy who’s trying to dig deeper that what Jaemin’s prepared to show.

“Do you… know all the consequence if you won’t attend the Matching Banquet?” Jaehyun speaks after a while, he noticed that Jaemin doesn’t have any intention to answer his first question. He’s testing, trying if he can make the younger spill some words he wants to hear; words to confirm some of his suspicions.

“A little bit,” Jaemin mumble, paying he’s full attention now to the older, starting to understand what does Jaehyun really wants to say, “No one can answer my questions, or even to share the aftermath of rejecting the Matching System.” Jaemin explained, stressing his point that he is willing to risk it, taking all the chances he can as long as he can escape the Matching System.

Jaehyun wants to speak, give an advice, or share something; but he knows that it is neither the proper time nor place to talk about it. The shop is starting to get costumers, other employees are getting busier, and he knows Jaemin needs to leave now or he will be late for his classes.

“I do. I will answer it, everything, but not now. Schedule it tomorrow, right after your class.” Jaehyun whispered to Jaemin, hoping that no one heard it, keeping the secrecy between the two of them.

Jaemin gasped, somewhat taken aback from the response he received. His heart beats in irregular manner; he starting to feel the tension, seriousness of the case he tried to taste. He left the shop feeling confused and lost, kind of regretting his decision that he gave away his self to someone, but also hoping that the stranger he just met last night can really give him the answers he wants to hear. He’s willing to trust Jaehyun, as he see him as the only string he can hold on to finally decide for his future.

 

 

 

Mark’s schedule for the day is jam-packed. He’s the ‘student monitor of the day’ for one of his class, which means he needs to stay an hour after class in the faculty to help. He can’t make time to speak to Jaemin, as the boy was late in their class, and didn’t join them in their lunch break. There are only three days left before the Banquet; Jaemin neither have submitted the confirmation form nor even share his sentiments to his friends.

The notice for the claiming of their suits are already sent to them. It is available to claim starting tomorrow afternoon. The idea of Jaemin’s still not cancelling his order is the only thing that can make Mark still; maybe his friend is undecided now, and they should give him some space.

There is nothing much assigned activity for Mark as a student monitor like he was expected, other than he needs to sort some data. He can’t believe that his proctor said that he was assigned to sort the students’ data, unlike how other student monitors are asked to compile papers or check the class outputs. They lead him towards a glass room; the front side of it is a transparent glass, where he can overlook the other offices, but the other sides of the room are just reflective mirror,  in which Mark doubt that one of it must be a one-way mirror, suspecting that maybe there is someone observing him, watching every movement he will do. He never heard about this before from other students, neither about a student monitor sorting students data nor about a glass room where a lot of datapod can be found.

So, the faculty officer pointed out the table in which he will do the sorting. Only a datapod was on it, where all the data of different classes was kept. He read that the names of students are redacted, hidden in set of numbers, trying to preserve the confidentiality. Mark job is only to sort the student, put the most compatible rating for them based on the criteria, categorize them based on their standing, as he makes sure that he won’t done any mistakes. The amount of number flashing in his screen is too overwhelming, together with the idea that he is not just sorting for the sake of class activity, but the status and standing of every student in his pool of data are at risk. Mark can’t believe that his proctor let him sort real-life data, as if his shoulders are now carrying too much responsibilities.

Mark can’t control himself but to feel proud that he finished the sorting fast and clean, as the datapod didn’t produce any sound or alarm to indicate that he did some mistake. He’s panting, gasping every air he can breathe, as he pressed the button to submit all of his sorted data, silently hoping that he did everything right.

“Mr. Lee, you’re proving yourself here. It is really true that you’re one of the fastest sorter in your batch.” His professor said after he returned to the faculty office to send a notice that he was already done with the activity. Mark just smile as a response; his not good at taking compliments and doesn’t like to look so boastful. He excuses himself, asking if he can now leave as he was already done with his assigned activity. They let him, even gave him some additional status points as the professor and faculty officer look so contented and satisfied for his output.

It’s not even an hour of sorting but Mark feels like he’s so tired, as if he works for much longer period of time. Maybe he focused too much, tensed, pressured, and can’t even remember how he managed to walk from his school to the train station; that’s how tired he is as if the whole activity took his every strip of his strength as a toll from his body. He’s now sitting on the train, tasting a faint of nervous in his mouth, he’s been scared for doing that sorting of some students, what more if he reached the age of twenty and already received his assigned real-life work; just thinking about it makes Mark shiver.

 


 

I know, I failed you all again. /hides/ I just feels like it is a great way to end the chapter two in that way. Again, it is just a short update, such a slow phasing story dkfhsdkfhlsdj.

I promised to write about the Banquet for the chapter two, but I didn't. I can't. I feel like I need to explain something first before the Matching system happen. I (also) don't think I can include it on the chapter three. /I hate myself/ I'm stuck on writing the introduction part, which makes me frustrated, I still haven't introduced the other characters /breathe heavily/ I hate myself again.

Anw, have you watched the Black on Black MV?? Are you still breathing?? I'm still looking for my soul and sanity btw, incase you saw it please tell me;  I think I tossed it away while screaming my lungs out for NCT.

Stream the MV, okay? 

 

-Hana