Coffee and Heartbeats

Coffee and Heartbeats

The smell of coffee is her favourite which is the reason that she's a barista.

There's two sound she can hear in the whole universe the most clear, coffee boiling and hearts thumping. The second one was the one she hates the most.

Coffee boiling always have the same rhythm, speed and noise level, but for the hearts thumping, everyone's are different.

Some of them were slow and soft, some of them were fast and loud. Byulyi hated her ability to hear those. She felt peaceful with the bubbles boiling, but not with hearts thumping.

She could recognised who walked in the cafe with her ability, but nonetheless she tried her best to ignore them. No one would wants a freak who could hear people's heart, that's what she thinks.

Till a girl with blonde hair walked in, her ears picked up that girl's heartbeat in a second and all she did was to concentrate on that. It was new, that it calmed her.

Normally she would had been annoyed by then, frustrated with all the heartbeats she had been hearing, but this time it was different. She doesn't know why but it made her calm, just like her other ability to hear the water boiling.

It was a music to her ears, from the heartbeats she could predict that the girl was slightly nervous, but it wasn't thumping that fast.

"Maybe some coffee could calm your nerves." She seized her chance to take her order, while she looks at her with wide eyes. "How did you know?"

Byulyi wasn't sure if she was to tell the truth anyone would believe her, "Well, I can read minds well" her famous smirk forms on her face while she ordered a latte for her, her specialty, "A latte on me."

The blonde didn't have anytime to react, not that she hated latte, but she doesn't know why the girl is doing this.

Byulyi gave her the receipt and she was forced to leave, a queue formed behind her.

Taking a seat, her eyes were focusing on the barista, her skilled hands making the latte and her smile while doing it, 'it's cute.'

Soon the barista herself came to serve her her latte, each step she took more and more people turned their heads to have a look of her.

Byulyi knows that she's quite handsome and pretty, and she doesn't deny that.

It wasn't the first time she walked out to serve, but the only rare moment she willingly went out. The number of hearts thumping were always overwhelming for her, but now she only could hear the one heart that's thumping faster than just now.

"A specially crafted latte just for you" Byulyi doesn't forgets to show her greasy smile, while she placed the coffee on the table with a napkin.

"I... thank you, By...Byulyi-ssi" she glance over to her name tag, still doesn't know how to accept her kindness.

"You're welcome! Good luck for whatever you've later on!"

She left her speechless, while she looked at her cup of coffee with a squirtle face drawn on it, chuckling while she took a sip, her heartbeats instantly slowed down finding calmness within the coffee. She doesn't miss the message on the napkin under the cup, "I hope you won't find me a creep, but your heartbeats really calm me down. - Hope to see you again, beauty"

On the other hand Byulyi could hear from there the girl's heartbeats had slowed down and found calmness in the cafe.

Gone, the sound of her heart thumping faded off slowly as disappointment could be seen on her face,

"Hey, Byul someone left a note for you," instantly her face lit up, hundred percent sure who left her that.

"I'm really grateful for you coffee, next time it's my treat :) - my name is Yongsun, not beauty hehe ^^"

Folding the piece of napkin neatly as she place it into her pockets, hands back to work making coffee,

'Maybe being to hear people's heartbeats wasn't such a bad thing after all.'