Chapter Two

I Hate You, I Love You
Please log in to read the full chapter

            “Rise and shine!” Sohee chimed from above me making me groan.

            I rolled over and pulled the covers over my head. “Five more minutes,” I grunted and squeezed my eyes tighter to block any chance of light reaching them. Mornings were not my thing and everyone in the dorm knew it.

            “Minyoungie,” she laughed and tugged at my blanket. “It’s almost time to leave. Jiwoo-ssi said we have to get there early since we’re filming our dance practice!”

            I groaned once more as Sohee pulled the blankets away from me. I rolled over to face her before opening my eyes and blinking slowly. Sohee had her hair pulled up in a messy, yet stylish bun and had light make-up applied to her face. She usually wasn’t the one to wear make-up unless our stylists put it on her. I sighed heavily before setting up and scratched at my head. “Are we wearing anything particular?

            “Jiwoo-ssi told us it doesn’t matter what top we wear, but she prefers us to wear black joggers for our pants.” I nodded and kicked myself out of bed. Sohee made her way over to the door to finish getting ready, but turned before shuffling out. “Yoonjo said whenever you’re done getting dressed she’ll do your hair. She’s working on Minji’s right now.”

            “Okay, thank you Sohee,” I added with a small smile as she left.

            I quickly bent down and started rummaging through the stack of pants I had in the corner by my bed. Since our dorm wasn’t very big we didn’t have proper closets. The one room with a walk-in closet was the maknae line’s room. I didn’t mind not having a closet though, because I typically just left my clothes in piles anyways. Yoonjo had her clothes neatly put away in an organizer under her bed, but mine was just in piles surrounding my bed. I grabbed the first pair of black joggers I saw and slipped them on. I grabbed the first shirt on the pile I saw which happened to be a nice yellow color with words written in English on it. Reading English was one of the hardest things for me, but I owned a lot of clothes that had English phrases on them. Before slipping my shirt on, I quickly put deodorant and body spray on.

            I left the room, shutting the door behind me before finding my way to the bathroom. The worst part of living with six other girls was only having one bathroom. I understood we had to make sacrifices since we were a rookie group, but the one bathroom part was hard. I knocked on the door to check if anyone was in there. No response. I pushed open the door before stepping inside to take care of the rest of my routine.

            “I’m ready to do your hair when you’re done Minyoung,” Yoonjo hollered from down the hallway.

            “I’ll be out in a second,” I said applying a second coat of mascara to my lashes. I smiled and myself cheerfully in the mirror before making my way to the living area. All the girls looked adorable with their hair all done. Yoonjo always did our hair whenever we were at the dorm because the rest of us were incapable of making cute hairdos. I sat on the floor in front of her and smiled at Minji who was finishing up her makeup. Yoonjo brushed my hair up tightly and put it in a high ponytail. The high ponytail has been my signature hairstyle since my trainee days. All Jinxies could recognize me in any performance or video just purely by my high ponytail. If it didn't feel like my brain was being ripped out then it wasn't right enough!

            “Y'all are too cute for me to handle,” Sohee squealed twirling the drawstrings of her joggers around her fingers. She was always hyping us up and complementing us on days on end. Sohee was the girl I was closest with in the group despite knowing her for the shortest time. We just clicked so well from the minute we started talking, er well, I started talking to her. She was very quiet and preferred avoiding social interaction. However, I talked to everyone and tried to get to know everyone.

            In training I made sure everyone knew who I was and I knew who they were. I had this strong urge inside of me that I needed everyone to like me. It was a quality I wish I didn’t have, because I thought of myself as a very likeable person. I cared too much about other people and not enough about myself. I wanted everyone to feel welcome to come to me with their problems so I could help them and comfort them in their time of need. Though when it came to my own feelings, I was heartless and cold. That’s why it was such a big deal for me to give a reaction over Kyung. Park Kyung is the only person who could make me blush just by the mention of his name. Just the thought of him was making me blush and I hurriedly covered my face with my hands.

            “Minyoung,” Minji started giggling as she said my name. “Are you blushing?”

            “She’s probably thinking of Kyung,” Hae giggled from my left.

            I tucked my chin to my chest and tried to hide my face as much as I could.

            “Unnie,” Hyunjoo voice echoed against the wall, aegyo dripping her voice. My heart fluttered because everyone knew how much I love aegyo. I squealed into my hand quietly before peering up at her. She giggled and batted her eyelashes at me. “Unnie, it’s okay to have a crush on Kyung. Minyoungie and Kyungie!”

            My face heated up and I swore it had turned completely red. “Guys,” I whined.

            I heard Yoonjo chuckling from behind me and I huffed out air. “As much as I enjoy Minyoung being teased… our driver is here.”

            “Only one today?” Sohee asked glancing up at her with wide eyes. I looked back at her with a raised eyebrow. Sejin PD told us we would be getting two vans from now on so we didn’t have to cram in with all of us since we were starting to make more money.

            Yoonjo’s face got pale and her eyes found their way to mine. “Jiwoo-ssi told me that we were back to one van for a while… They had to let go one of our drivers.” I could feel everyone tense up at the thought of it being Sungmin-ssi. He was our favorite driver and has been with us since the beginning. “Don’t worry… Sungmin-ssi is here to stay.” I sighed in relief and the tension in the room fell.

            “Come on,” I said after a moment of silence had passed. I heaved myself off the ground and smiled at my girls. “We’ve got a day ahead of us.” Everyone nodded and followed Yoonjo out the door. I sighed and tidied up the blanket on the back of the couch before turning the lights off. I locked the door behind me before jogging to the elevator, which Eunbin was holding open for me. I thanked her as I stepped over the threshold.

            Quiet chitter chatter happened between the maknae line on the ride down. I couldn’t make out what they were saying but between those three I knew they were up to no good. I eyed them down as we made our way through the lobby. We each gave the doorman a small smile and bow as he opened the door for us.

            Sungmin-ssi was standing outside a white van wearing a dark suit and red tie which made him appear very handsome. He didn’t usually look this formal, so I wondered what he was up to today but it would be rude to ask. He greeted us with a bow which we returned in unison. The maknae line and I crammed into the back of the van which resulted in Hae sitting on the floor. Usually the youngest would sit in the back and the luxury of being older got you the front. However being the shortest in the group and using one van or seven members meant I had to be in the back as well. Being short was like a double-edged sword; people thought you were small and adorable, but you had to sit in the back of the van since your legs were short.

            Eunbin and Hyunjoo sat in the middle seats while Yoonjo sat shotgun. She was lucky being the oldest one in this situation. I didn’t mind being cramped in the back, but it made me uneasy to know Hae was back on the ground which wasn’t the safest. One reason I was so excited about being able to have two vans was that it’s safer so no one had to sit on the floor.

            “Are you excited about filming today?” Eunbin questioned turning my way.

            I smiled and shrugged. “I feel confident in this dance to be honest. After pushing us so hard yesterday I feel like we all should be confident.” I bit my lip and started replaying the dance moves in my head. Dancing wasn’t my strong suit, but I worked my off to keep up with Sohee and Minji. They were the best dancers in the group, which made me wonder if they put something in their water in Ulsan. They went to school and auditioned together. I remember everyone was so impressed by their dancing, including myself. I had only wished I was half as good as them at dancing.

            When I had first talked to Sohee I had asked her to help me with my dancing because I really wanted to be flexible when I debuted. She would teach me a move and we’d practice it for an hour together af

Please log in to read the full chapter