Blue Hawaii

Mon Astre

 

Ch. 2: Blue Hawaii

 

  • Rum
  • Vodka
  • Blue Curacao
  • Pineapple Juice

 

            I visited Mon Astre for the first time on a Saturday in August. I was out, enjoying the crepe myrtles after my shift at the Audubon Zoo when I noticed this grey shotgun home that I had never seen before. Before I knew it, I was inside.

            I was met with a startlingly handsome bartender who had the sweetest smile. He walked out from behind the bar to greet me.  For some reason, I noticed his eyelashes didn’t quite reach his cheekbones.

            “Welcome to Mon Astre. I’m the bartender, Wonho,” he said. “You can take a seat anywhere.”

            He waited for me to find a seat, but I just stood awkwardly for a minute. Finally, I worked up the nerve to ask, “Is the balcony available for seating?”

            He flashed me a disarming smile as he said, “Of course. In fact, I would recommend a seat there.  It’s perfect for watching the sun set.”

            With his permission, I walked up the stairs and out onto the balcony. There was little noise from the street, and even less from the bar.  Before me, the setting sun turned the sky all different shades of pink and orange.

            As the last of the sun’s warm rays gave way for night, Wonho approached with a fancy looking blue drink in a hurricane glass.

            “A blue hawaii -- sweet and sunny, warm and tropical,” Wonho explained.

            “That sounds perfect.” I smiled softly at the bartender. I turned to look out at the place where the sun had set, but Wonho sat across from me, drawing my attention.

            “Seems like there’s something on your mind,” he said, leaning into his hand.

            I sipped my drink. “I wish I got out more,” I said. “I love the sun, but I feel like I hardly ever see her.”

            “Her?” He tilted his head to the question.

            “I always pictured the sun to be a woman for some reason. I think the warmth reminds me of my mom,” I said.  “Sorry… I can be a bit of a blabbermouth sometimes.”

            “It’s ok,” Wonho said, reaching for my hand. “That’s a beautiful feeling.”

            He paused for a moment.

            “You know I might be able to help you with that.”

            I looked at him curiously. How could a bartender help me get outside more?

            “Your coming here was not an accident, Minhyuk.” Wonho said.

            “Wait, how do you know my name?” I asked. I had never told him.

            “It was inevitable that we should meet. I can help you, for a price.”

            I stared at him, mouth agape. For once, I was speechless.

            “So what do you say?” he asked.

            “Shall I grant your wish?”