Mint Julep

Mon Astre

Ch. 1: Mint Julep

 

  • Mint Leaves
  • Sugar
  • Crushed Ice
  • Bourbon

 

     The first time I entered Mon Astre, I had just left work. It was the middle of July in New Orleans, so of course, I was coated in sweat when I entered.

     When I pushed the door open, a bell rang, causing the bartender to look up and greet me. Black roots shown through his blond hair, and his eyes crinkled as he smiled at me.

     “Welcome to Mon Astre,” he said. “My name is Wonho.” His tone was bright, but something felt… wrong.

     “Hyunwoo,” I said, flustered. Even though I couldn’t see his eyes, it felt as though he was staring right through me.

     “Come, sit. I’ll bring your drink over.” He walked off toward the bar.

     I sat down at a table in the front window. As I watched other people walk past, it occurred to me that I never actually ordered anything. Before I could get up, Wonho was back, carrying a drink in a silver cup. On top, there was a sprig of mint.

     “Your mint julep. A refreshing bourbon drink for the hot New Orleans summer,” he explained.

     “Thank… you,” I said. It felt like there was something he wasn’t telling me. “How much do I owe you?”

     “The reason for that melancholic expression. That should be enough for the drink.” There was definitely something hiding behind that smile now.

     I sat blank faced for a minute. Here was a person who set me on edge, but was also willing to listen. I had the unusual urge to tell this stranger about my problems, but I had to choose my words carefully.

     “I’m not… melancholy,” I finally said. “I think I’m just bored.”

     It was the truth. I worked as an accountant for another business on Magazine Street. The job was stable, but I dreamed of a better way to express myself. When I was younger, I wanted to be a dancer. That was not an option for me though.

     “I see,” Wonho said. “What would you say if I told you I could end that boredom?”

     On the last word, Wonho opened his eyes, revealing piercing blue irises. I felt as though time stopped as I got trapped in his eyes.

     “Your arrival at my bar was no accident,” he continued. “You dream of a life of self expression even now.”

     “How --” I started to ask.

     “It was inevitable. Now, however, you must make a choice.” Wonho’s expression became dark. “You can leave now and continue in your life of perpetual boredom, or you can stay and follow your dreams of being a dancer, enabling your self-expression.

     “So… Shall I grant your wish?”