Sazerac

Mon Astre

Ch. 3: Sazerac

 

  • Absinthe
  • Bitters
  • Sugar
  • Whiskey

 

            I don’t remember what I was doing Uptown, or even how I got there, but somehow I ended up at a bar on the wrong end of Magazine. The building itself was beautiful -- a restored two story home in two grey tones.  The curtains were white, continuing the monochrome look.

            The inside was cozy -- more grey with dark stained wood accents. The chairs at different tables didn’t match, but they all seemed super plush. I noticed the bar seemed to be empty.  Even the bartender was absent.  I sat down at the bar.

            The bartender came out from… somewhere, carrying a dark green bottle. He raised his eyebrows when he saw me.  They disappeared into his blue dip dye. His eyes were haunting -- the same electric blue as his hair.

            “Hello,” he said. “I’ve been expecting you. Would you like a drink?”

            As he said the last, he got out a rocks glass, poured in some clear liquid from the green bottle and added crushed ice. I almost reached to take a sip but then the smell hit me.  It smelled strongly of licorice. 

            “Why were you expecting me?” I asked.

            “Simple, really,” he said as he muddled bitters and sugar in a different glass. “It was inevitable that you would come here.”

            “Inevitable…” I muttered. I sighed and stopped to watch him add whiskey to the sugar mixture.

            “This isn’t just any bar,” the man said. “This is Mon Astre, the bar that can help you reach happiness.”

            He dumped the ice and excess licorice stuff down the drain, then put the whiskey mixture in the chilled glass.

            “A sazerac,” he said. “Strong and complicated to make. Herbal notes come from the absinthe on the glass.”

            He handed me the glass.

            “My name is Wonho,” he said. “I can grant your wish, for a price.”

            My wish? I thought. It couldn’t be true. No one could grant my greatest wish.

            “What’s the price?” I asked.

            “That depends on the wish.” He smirked.  “A strong enough wish could cost you your soul.”

            I almost choked on my drink at that.

            “Out of curiosity,” I asked, “how much would a cure for loneliness be?”

            Wonho considered me for a moment, cleaning up some spilled absinthe.

            “You would have to lose a relationship to gain a relationship.”

            I thought about my relationships. I moved to New Orleans after culinary school. My parents disappeared after I moved out.  Despite being a chef at one of the Brennan family restaurants, I was not close with anyone on staff. I lived alone.

            More than anything, I wanted a viable relationship. I had spent too long alone, and the past week was spent pining after the adorable trumpeter that the head waiter kept chasing away.

            “I’d take that offer,” I said. “I don’t think I have any relationships to lose though.”

            “I’m sure there’s one,” Wonho replied. His smile seemed almost… sad.  “Do we have a deal? You’ll never be lonely, but you’ll lose someone close to you.”

            I thought for a moment. It seemed like a dangerous bargain, and one Wonho didn’t want me to make. On the other hand, I didn’t really have anything to lose, and the past few weeks, I felt like I’d been losing my… self.

            “It’s a deal,” I said. I swallowed the end of my drink.

***

            The next day at work, I got two messages. One was from Wonho, telling me to return to Mon Astre in a week and a half. My wish would be fulfilled then.

            The second though, was shocking. Yoongi Min, my best friend in high school, texted me for the first time in years.

Kihyun it said, I know it’s been awhile since we talked, but I still thought I should say goodbye. I auditioned for a Korean music label, and I was accepted!  I’m moving next week.  I hope to see you again someday, and wish you luck in New Orleans.

Congratulations :) I sent back. I hope you make debut soon.

My phone buzzed again, just as I moved to put it away.

I’m sorry, who is this? How did you know I was going to debut? It said.

            I laughed at first, but then the realization hit me. This was my payment.

The thought that he was one step closer to his goal of being a performer was comforting, but I knew, Yoongi and I would never be able to talk again.

     I could feel the tears drip from my eyes. I was selfish.  I would never think of just myself again.