Chapter 04

Love Me Till the End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a slow, grey morning. When Yoongi headed out, the world was as silent as if it ended in the night. The sun is still resolutely below the horizon, and the street is as dark as some old-school black and white movie. The twilight slowly melted away as the sun faded in like a scene in a cartoon. By the time he arrived at his destination, sunlight shined under the door like a ghoul's grin, yet gave the shutters a halo of golden rays.

Yoongi lingered at the front door. He was afraid… He’s always been hesitant when it came to her.  Yet despite feeling the same way for the past 14 years, he could never get used to it. However, he eventually rang the doorbell.

“Oh, Min-ah… What brought you here?” A girl soon opens the door with eagerness as she was clearly pleasantly surprised by his visit.

“Just wanted to make sure you were okay…” Yoongi smiles as he follows her inside. The smile he gave her was not like anything he has shown before - it was warm and nostalgic, like a sunny autumn afternoon.

“I’m excellent… thanks for the help yesterday, I’ll get you something to drink,” the girl turns around and gives him a smile in return. She seemed around the same age as Yoongi and was very pretty. Yet, she dressed very modestly, didn’t flaunt her looks, and had a serene, elegant atmosphere that surrounded her. She also had this youthfulness in her smile, hinting at her bright personality, but one can tell that she has been worn down by the cruelty of this world for her eyes was clouded with sorrow.

Yoongi knew that she was lying but didn’t refute her for he can tell that she was already too tired to have another argument. So he merely signaled her to sit down on the couch while getting the drinks himself.

…..

……

Jamie woke up rather early this morning despite all the chaos from the day before. Maybe it was because she was in a new room at an unfamiliar house that she wasn’t able to completely relax. Since the house was so quiet, she assumed that Yoongi was still asleep and didn’t want to disrupt him from his slumber, so she decided to unpack her bags first. She packed only half of her stuff at home for she was eventually going to move back to her apartment when this is all over. She did bring some decorations to make herself feel more at home, so she placed them around her room first. She then filled the half of the drawers with her clothes and hung the rest in the closet. By then, an hour had already passed, and she was too tired and hungry to continue.

She hesitantly went to Yoongi’s room and knocked on the door. However, there was no response. She tapped a few times again before she slowly opened his door and found an empty bed. She then went downstairs, but he was nowhere to be found except a small note attached to the fridge in the kitchen.

‘Sorry, but I had something to take care of this morning. You can find some sandwiches inside the fridge, and you are welcome to eat and use anything else if you want. Treat it like your own house. From: Yoongi’

“Easy for you to say…” Jamie complained as she carefully opened the fridge to find something to eat. She hesitantly took one of the home-made sandwiches and bit quietly for the sound of her biting into her breakfast was the only audible sound around the house. Afterward, Jamie decided to explore the house a little bit since she will have to stay here for at least a couple of months. The house was a lot bigger than it seemed from the outside. The home was very well decorated and furnished, giving the house a cozy yet modern feeling. Yet, despite its grandiose appearance, Jamie felt chilling loneliness that lingered around the house. The first floor consisted of a large living room, a dining room, a kitchen, and a mini library. Jamie was especially fascinated by all the varieties of books Yoongi owned. There were two large desks in the mini library room with towers of files and papers on them that was left untouched for quite some time.

Jamie then went upstairs for there was two more room beside hers and Yoongi’s. She felt a little guilty, but her curiosity was much stronger as she persuaded herself that she has technically gained Yoongi’s indirect approval. One of the rooms was Yoongi’s office and was decorated similarly to the library downstairs but just smaller in size. She didn’t want to touch anything, so she quickly came out of the room and moved onto the next one.

As soon as she opened the door, she saw a beautiful, perfectly made, king-sized bed. She was immediately drawn toward it, but it was evident that the bed was also abandoned for years for it was quite dusty. Yoongi’s effort to preserve everything his parent’s left was clear since other than the room he frequently used, everything else in this house was left untouched, almost like an ancient artifact in a museum.

Although she couldn’t possibly know all the agony he experienced, she understood and shared his intentions because she and her dad had also tried to keep her mom ‘alive’ in their home for months after her death. She was eventually able to throw out her mother’s belongings, except a few valuables to keep, mostly because she knew that keeping the stuff would only make it harder for her to let go. However, one can never honestly let go. And Jamie found comfort that someone was able to understand her feelings and situation.

…….

…..

“How are you feeling? Does your head still hurt?”

“No… I felt a lot better this morning…”

“That’s good… Is he at work?”

“Yea… He goes to work on Sundays too… Although it seems more like he’s using that as an excuse to get out of the house…”

Yoongi didn’t know what to say. This wasn’t the first time she has had problems with her husband, and he has been there for her through every hardship. But he had said everything he could say, and it has become a painful cycle. It pained him to see her suffering, but everyone makes his or her own choices, and she made hers. Yoongi was against her relationship with her husband since they were dating, but she still married him, even with her parents' disapproval and now she was alone. He was the only one she can rely on, and he knew that too. He didn’t complain at all, in a way, he was quite glad that she needed him and was seeking his help for not only can he see her more often, but also he felt like he was finally paying her back for all the help she gave him years ago.

……

….

He still remembers that day clearly. It was just another regular day. It was so ordinary and mundane that no one could have foreseen the tragic event. He had just started high school. It has only been a few weeks, and due to Yoongi’s quiet nature, he didn’t really have any friends. All his middle school friends went to a different high school, and Yoongi was now alone without a single companion. However, he didn’t mind because it always took him a while to make the right friends.

During break time, he was just sitting at his desk, listening and occasionally throwing comments at the group of boys fooling around in front him, then suddenly, he heard his voice being called through the speakers.

“Min Yoongi from Class 1-2 please report to the Teachers’ Office.”

He was confused but stood up and followed the instruction. On his way to the destination, he couldn’t help but feel a chill down his spine. Something felt terribly wrong, but he tried to brush it off and arrived at the office only to receive that heartbreaking news.

“Don’t be too sad….You’re not alone…I’ll be here for you from now on…. I’ll be your family.”

He remembers when he first saw her at his parents’ funeral. He was alone, trying to get some fresh air when a girl showed up out of nowhere. At first, he was confused for he did not know her at all. Then he wondered what made her so confident that she was able to declare such a big statement without hesitation. At first, he just ignored it, thinking she was probably some random girl trying to comfort him, but soon he would realize that she wasn’t joking at all.

Soon after the funeral, Yoongi went to court to declare himself as an independent. It was a fierce battle since many distant relatives tried to claim themselves as his guardians, but in the end, Yoongi was able to live on his own with the inheritance his parents left him. And he didn’t grow up too lonely. The girl’s parents were not only his parent’s good friends but also their neighbor, so they looked after Yoongi. Initially, he avoided and rejected their help because he didn’t want to be indebted to them, but also,  he felt as if they were trying to fill in the irreplaceable, empty spots his parents left.

However, the girl kept her promise and persisted. She would come knocking at his door every morning to invite him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter