Connections

Foolish Heart

Two hours have passed since Daniel and I stayed away from his admirers. I felt a bit lucky having someone to be with on my first day. I hope our friendship will last, though.

 

"Angie, Nam Joo, as promised, I will lead you to your classroom." Daniel stood up and helped me do the same. "I actually have an idea where your room is because I used to go there all the time." He chuckled while we started walking.

 

"Really? Is it because the high school building is close to it? Or perhaps you have friends that are older than you? Or—" I wiggled my brows and nudged him playfully. "Or maybe someone you are waiting for."

 

"Nah, not anymore." Daniel shook his head and placed his hands inside his pockets.

 

"Ya, if you have a girlfriend, tell me." I told him. "She might get the wrong idea—" I was about to continue when he told me to hush down.

 

"No, I am single. Uh—" He looked around, obviously wanting to change the subject. "The disguise— Ugh."

 

"Oh, that." I snapped a finger. "Let us just reveal to everyone that I am new here and you happen to find me after being lost so you helped me out. The disguise should probably be done on our preceding meetings." I continued. "By the worry, I apologize if I made you uncomfortable."

 

"No, it is fine." He smiled and assured me. The next thing I know, we were already at the Arts building, to where my classes are located. It was very huge, if you ask me. I wonder how people get used to this.

 

"Wow, I never expected our building to be this huge." My eyes widened, stopping at the entrance.

 

"It is. They say that it is huge and difficult for people wanting to see each other to meet there but it is inevitable and easy for those people avoiding each other to meet." Daniel explained and we went inside, showing his identification card and mine as well.

 

"That is way too deep, I must say." I said with a surprised facial expression. Damn it, I really want to know why he is being this way. I can sense that there is a history behind everything that he is saying.

 

"Oh, I can be deep sometimes, alright." He chuckled. "So, your room is finally here, Angie Kim Nam Joo." He pointed to the classroom with a lot of people inside. Gosh, I feel so nervous just by seeing them that I ended up tugging Daniel's arm gently.

 

"Uhm— You will see me after our classes, won't you?" Hello everyone, welcome my anxiety and introversion.

 

Daniel chuckled and patted my head. "Of course, we will."

 

"Contact information. Although I seem like I am making a move, I need to contact you." I insisted in a nice manner. 

 

"Oh, you will know my contact details later." Daniel assured me and that is what I needed the most. "So what you are going to do right now is to sit down and relax. Good luck, alright?"

 

I still do not have any idea how to contact him later so I just shrugged and looked for a vacant seat. Daniel was nowhere to be found, as I started to look around to see his presence.

 

"Waaah~ They are so pretty!"

 

"They are here!"

 

I heard several people squealing and I could not help but to follow where the noise is coming so I stood up to catch a glimpse of what is going on.

 

There were five people walking on the way to the classroom and honestly, they really are beautiful. They inevitably caught the attention of many, especially the guys, although there were only a few.

 

"Hello, everyone. I am your student council president for this term. I am Park Cho Rong, currently in my senior year in college taking up Literature as my major and we are here to welcome all of you, freshmen!" The woman with long hair with youthful looks broke the silence. I actually could not believe she is a senior student already. How do I look as young as you are?

 

"Hi, everyone! I am Yoon Bo Mi, the vice-president of the student council. I am in my junior year, taking up Performing Arts as my major. If you have any concerns, inquiries, you may free to contact us anytime, through your class presidents." The one with long, curly hair and small eyes said, on the other hand. Even as a woman, they sure are attractive.

 

"Hello, freshmen! This is your secretary, Jung Hye Rim. But feel free to call me, Eun Ji because that is easier to pronounce." The woman who seemed boyish yet cool said. "I am on my junior year as well, taking up a degree in Music, major in voice."

 

I could not help but be captivated, especially when the last two people waited for their turn.

 

"Hello, everyone! Thank you for choosing this university. We look forward in serving you all and getting along this term. I am Son Na Eun, the treasurer. I am currently ahead of you as a sophomore, taking up Travel Management as my course. Last, but not the least, our auditor and press relations officer—" The beautiful woman wearing red lipstick and shiny hair accessories paused for a moment, waiting for the two to arrive. "Hayoung! Daniel— Where are you?!"

 

Daniel.

 

Wait, don't tell me—

 

"Sorry for the delay! Anyway, I am the auditor for this term, Oh Ha Young! I am still in senior year in high school just like our only guy here, our press relations officer, Kang Euigeon!" The tall high school woman appeared, dragging someone— Daniel rather, beside her.

 

"Ah, stop calling me that." Daniel hissed and messed his hair. With just one swift move, he gained squeals from the girls this time. "Hello, I am no longer Euigeon. Please do call me by my new name, Kang Daniel. Thank you." He bowed and was seemingly in a rush. Now I know why most people are stalking him and it is because of his looks and popularity. I bet many of the guys are jealous, having those five beautiful women with him as student council officers.

 

"Although I am the press relations officer who will send updates through text messaging, I would not use any number for privacy purposes. Instead, I will use a message system that will send to each and everyone of you so you will be updated with whatever news or announcements the university has. So no worries. The class president will give me all your contact information as well so you better appoint one soon." He smiled and assured everyone, again, gaining squeals from every girl in our class— exclude me, of course.

 

Daniel sure is popular and I have the idea that he is a person who is used to dealing and interacting with a lot of people and even if he is bombarded with fan girls, he is still cool with that.

 

I now have an idea why he wanted me to figure out how will he get my contact number and vice versa.

 

"There." I started writing my contact details and passed on the paper. That moment, Daniel went to where I was, getting the paper instead and took a photo of my phone number. It really is a smooth move, indeed. "Indicate here who will be your class officers, alright?" He reminded our class once more. I can tell that he has awesome leadership skills because he can talk to us without stuttering even if he is a year younger than us.

 

The student council officers left afterwards and proceeded to the next classroom. Meanwhile, my classmates and I started introducing ourselves before we appoint class officers who we think are capable. Honestly, this is difficult because we all just met. One thing is for sure: I would rather not become an officer because this is college, I have no idea how everything goes.

 

••••••

 

There was no professor who arrived so we got dismissed after the appointment of officers. Thank goodness, I remained a wallflower.

 

I went out of the room and looked around, wondering where Daniel is. I knew this is not going to work just like in movies so I also took my phone out, somewhat expecting a text message from him, but there is none. I guess he is busy. Well, not that I am demanding for his presence or attention.

 

I shrugged once again and walked on my way, not minding where I am going. Maybe being alone would allow me to explore the school quickly anyway.

 

"Daniel, what the heck is wrong with you?!"

 

As I was on my way to the field, I saw Daniel with one of the student council officers. Although it was not necessary to hide, I unconsciously did. I have no idea why but it seems that they are having a private conversation. I wore the glasses that he lent me a while ago just to look like a stranger.

 

"Chorong noona, please just stop. As much as I wanted to remain as an officer of the student council, I could not work with you after what you did..." He seemed pissed off.

 

"Okay, I apologize to what happened back then, but Daniel, we should set aside private matters so it would not interfere with our duties." The woman named Chorong explained to him.

 

"That is easy for you to say since you are not in my ing situation." Daniel cursed and turned his back on Chorong. "If you will excuse me, someone is still waiting for me."

 

He left Chorong afterwards and I started hiding on one of the lockers nearby, hoping none of them saw that I was there all along. Chorong remained silent and distracted why I gathered the opportunity to get out of the place.

 

The next thing I know, I got a text message.

 

••••••

 

"Hey Namjoo. This is Daniel. As promised, I will meet you right now. Where are you?"

 

It was him. For the moment, I thought he had already forgotten about my existence. As I was walking, I ended up on one of the pavilions nearby and started typing my response.

 

"Well, I am not sure but I am at the pavilion near the garden here."

 

I had to make sure I was far away from the fields because it would seem suspicious. After a few seconds, I got a response.

 

"Ah! The garden pavilion. I will come over there and meet you in a while. Wait for me, alright?"

 

I nodded and typed "Okay" right away. For some reasons, Daniel and I seemed to be like idols, having to meet secretly to prevent scandals from happening.

 

I situated myself on the bench because it was the only one that is not occupied and closed my eyes for a while. This is the only time wherein I felt drowsiness coming my way.

 

••••••