And It All Began

Foolish Heart

••••••

I was walking on my way to my new school. Everything is foreign to me because I just moved in to another city for the reason that my parents bought a condominium unit and decided to live there for good. Well, it took them a few years to save and at least, we no longer have to rent an apartment for us to live in. So it was like, 'our house, our rules.'

It was difficult to leave people behind, especially your friends. Luckily, technology exists so we are just a message away from each other. Besides, it was inevitable to transfer schools when you are about to start a new chapter in your life: college. I decided to take up a course in Creative Writing and let us see how this one goes.

I wore a cute dress to school today. My hair was curled and my face had a little make up so I would somewhat look mature. I was also aware that first impression lasts so I wanted to make sure I get good ones from the people I will encounter today and the days to come.

However, my expectations seemed somewhat high.

I continued with my pace, only to be greeted by people who just ignored me. It felt as if I am a dust needed to be removed or air that is invisible despite its presence. I could not help but heave a sigh. Unlike in the city I used to live in, people were friendly and approachable. Grade school and middle school were the best years of my life, thanks to those people.

Inconspicuous, that is how I seemed to be. I could no longer think of metaphors or adjectives to describe my current situation. My head was above the clouds, hoping someone would—

"Ah—"

"Ahh!"

Notice me.

I ended up stumbling on the ground, only to realize that someone is sleeping next to the tree I did not paid attention to, causing the person to be awaken from his siesta. My knees landed on his legs and I groaned a little, unable to move properly.

"I deeply apologize!" I instantly bowed repeatedly while I fix myself. Actually, I was nervous as hell because all I want was to gain friends and give off a good impression but unfortunately, I made a blunder so I stood up right away. I could not look into the eyes of that person but in my peripheral vision, he seemed tall and sleepy.

"It is fine, sweetie." I was expecting him to become exasperated, but he stood up as well and patted my head. "I did not mean to interrupt your sleep—" I continued, just wanting to let him know that everything is an incident.

"No worries. It is fine, like what I have said." He smiled at me, showing off his dimple and eyes so adorable that they follow through whenever he gives off that expression. "Are you new here? I have not seen you before although I tend to socialize with a lot of people." He asked.

"Ah—" I scratched the back of my nape as I nodded. "Yes, I am. A college freshman, taking up Creative Writing. My name is Kim Nam Joo."

"Oh wow, finally a newbie." He chuckled and offered his hand. "Nice to meet you, Nam Joo. I am Kang Daniel. Although you might hear people refer to me as Euigeon, but Daniel is easier to pronounce, is it not?"

I chuckled and nodded in affirmative."Yeah, I guess. Is that an English name you had chosen?" I asked. "It was actually changed legally because my previous name is difficult for others to pronounce. Besides, it gives foreign vibes when Daniel became my new name." He said openly, although we just met. I can tell that he is an open book.

"The closest English name that I can think of your previous one is Eugene." I told him. "Anyway, I would go with Daniel since it is your name currently."

"Eugene seems unsuitable for me." Daniel chuckled. "How about you? Do you have an English name?"

"No, I do not. But maybe having one will be convenient." I told him. "Ah— Well, since both of us are talking, I was wondering if both of us can and may become friends. I am actually new here to this place." I admitted but at the same time, I had to tell him.

Daniel patted my head and nodded in affirmation. "Of course! I would love to. Ah, that was so cute of you to ask." He sighed in relief. "We are friends now, from now on. Should I give you a tour, newbie?" He asked. "Also, I should give you an English name so we would both have one." He continued while I just nod at what he says. I am easy-going, after all.

"Anything will do. I will let you take the lead because you are the one who knows this place." I smiled and told him in response.

"Nam Joo..." He mumbled and tapped his chin, examining me right away. "Angie suits you and is the closest to your name."

"Come to think of it, yeah. Alright, Angie Kim would be a good name. But you may still call me Nam Joo." I insisted. "Anyway, where do we go first, Daniel?" I looked around while following his slow pace, only to realize that we are surrounded by people.

"Damn it." Daniel hissed, held my hand and we ran as fast as we can, seeing those people chasing us.

He held my hand tighter the faster our pace is becoming. I knew that it was not the right time to ask what is going on so I just followed his lead like what I asked him previously.

It took us several turns and minutes before we ended up inside an unused building's rooftop. I tried looking around to see if the coast is clear and fortunately, it was.

"Ah..." Daniel was panting, sweat dripping off down his forehead. I inevitably held on to my bag to offer him tissue papers for him to wipe it.

"We unexpectedly exercised with how fast we ran a while ago." I spoke to lessen the dead air between us. He sighed in relief and sat down on a bench that was near the door.

"I am actually too lazy to exercise but they are persuading me to do it." He chuckled and got some tissues from me. "Thanks, and I apologize for that. I do not want to drag you into this but it happened."

"No worries." I assured him. "Let me guess, those are your admirers or stalkers?" I sat down next to him.

"Well, I do not want to sound arrogant but, I guess?" He shrugged. "But luckily you are a new kid here because if you are familiar to them, they might confront you, especially THEM." He emphasized the last word and I can tell that there is something behind those people, whoever they are.

"I also do not want to get you in trouble or give off a bad impression, though." I just said in response because I do not want to show my extreme curiosity. "You seem to be really popular."

"Ah—" Daniel scratched the back of his nape. "They know me probably because I ranked the highest on the college entrance exam. I worked hard to get into that university that is located in the city so I would make my parents proud and study for free." He continued and I can see the look in his eyes that he is both passionate and persistent with studying.

"Oh wow, congratulations! So you would not choose to study here?" I asked him. "I am probably older than you because I am already in college or university." I chuckled.

"You are? You look like you are the same age as mine. I probably would not. But I am still deciding because choosing that school means I am going to be away from my family which I do not know if I can survive. But—" He turned to me and I stepped back a bit. "If there is someone or something that would make me stay, then great!"

"Any of those, well— Whatever your decision is, I wish you all the best." I patted his shoulder.

"Thanks, Nam Joo. Anyway, do you mind staying here for a while? I actually could not let you be out of my sight because of those girls." He said, somewhat worrying.

"Well, staying here is fine. However, I have classes starting at 2pm until 5pm. I still have two more hours." I told him as I glance at my watch.

"Great, I also have class on those hours. Perhaps we should meet after? Ah, I can also take you to your classroom since you probably need some tour." He snapped his finger, awaiting for my approval. It seemed as if he wanted to do a lot of things with me.

"Sure. But since you seem to be popular in this university, I should probably be in disguise whenever we meet." I chuckled. "Maybe we can postpone the tour and do it some other time." I suggested.

"Hmm, maybe glasses will do and a hat. I can protect you if ever they do something bad but, it is better to be safe." He took out a pair of huge spectacles from his pocket. "Use this later."

I nodded as I took it from him. "Thanks. You sure are prepared."

"Of course. Girls are actually afraid of approaching me because of those chasing me. But I am glad that you did not run away. I need girl friends too." He showed his smile again, and I could not help but feel flattered.

"Why would I run away? Unless you are a killer, a ghost or a monster, I might do so." I chuckled and he did the same.

"Thank you for accompanying me. I was actually anxious and lonely since this is my first day here." I admitted with shyness.

"No worries, Nam Joo. We are friends from now on." We shook our hands and smiled despite the riskiness of running away from those girls. I looked into his eyes and wondered how our friendship is going to be. That is what I often ask whenever I meet new people and sometimes I do not even want to meet new ones for the fear that people will leave me behind. I wonder when it will be the other way around.

••••••