I love you like a romance novel

It Has To Be You And Me

Taekwoon’s expression was sour as he opened his apartment’s door. He had received the notification through chat, but it didn’t mean that the other’s presence was welcomed.

“I’ve told you to just go to Hakyeon’s place. Why do you insist on going here?” scolded Taekwoon.

Soft, bitter chuckles escaped those small lips, and Taekwoon’s expression hardened. Of course, he knew the exact reason why, without having to share a word between them.

Kim Wonshik was Taekwoon’s ex-boyfriend, and Taekwoon still hadn’t forgiven him for the sudden breakup he never had ever wanted.

“Please let me in. It’s freezing cold outside,” asked Wonshik. His already husky voice sounded even more raspy, as if he had just been crying. And he probably was, seeing from how damp and red his eyes were.

“Then freeze to death. See if I care,” hissed Taekwoon before slamming the door closed.

Silence fell.

One second, two seconds… ten seconds, eleven, twelve… fifteen—

“Let me just kill you myself, you ing idiot,” cursed Taekwoon as he opened the door again, grabbed the front of Wonshik’s jacket, and pulled him in.

“Go sit on the couch. I’ll make us some hot tea,” said Taekwoon as he released Wonshik’s jacket and went to the kitchen. Wonshik obediently followed Taekwoon’s words, blankly staring at the pristine white floor as he waited for Taekwoon.

Soon after Taekwoon returned from the kitchen, handing him a warm cup of tea and joining him on the couch, Wonshik spoke.

“I’ve just broken up.”

Taekwoon frowned. He already knew that. Even worse, he knew exactly why.

“So you broke up with me just to hook up with a cheater? Serves you right.”

If Wonshik went to literally anyone other than Taekwoon, they would probably console him and sympathize with him. But Taekwoon was bitter and spiteful enough to remind Wonshik that he had made the worst decision ever in his entire life.

“You really have a knack for hitting where it hurts the most, Hyung,” said Wonshik bitterly.

“I’m just stating the fact that you’re an absolute idiot,” replied Taekwoon. Wonshik scoffed and put down his cup, still not having even a sip.

“Coming here was a mistake,” murmured Wonshik as he stood up.

“That’s why I told you to just go to Hakyeon’s place. Hell, even Hyogi will welcome you with kind words. You’re simply ignoring all the things I’ve said and put the blame on me,” said Taekwoon.

Wonshik opened his mouth, wanting to deny or at least talk back to Taekwoon. But he knew that Taekwoon was right, that he never listened. He was so preoccupied by his own thoughts and fears to the point that he simply ignored everything and everyone, including Taekwoon.

“Go. Leave me, like you did before. Don’t come searching for me only when you don’t want to be alone. I still haven’t forgiven you for anything yet,” said Taekwoon as he stood as well, walking to the door.

Hyung, wait—” Wonshik grabbed Taekwoon’s arm in an attempt to stop him, and Taekwoon did stop. Apology was already on the tip of Wonshik’s tongue, but Taekwoon’s sharp look was enough to remind Wonshik that Taekwoon already said that he hadn’t forgiven Wonshik yet. Apologizing would only ruin everything even further.

So instead, Wonshik stepped closer and mustered up some courage to hold Taekwoon close. Whether it was resignation or silence before the storm, Taekwoon didn’t move at all, letting Wonshik wrap his arms around him.

Sensing that Taekwoon wasn’t going to push him away or hold him back, Wonshik turned his head slowly, letting his lips graze the skin of Taekwoon’s cheek.

“If this was in the past, I’d let you make up to me with all this sweet romance you love.”

Taekwoon’s cold whisper stopped Wonshik on his track, just millimeters away before their lips touched. Icy pain stung Wonshik’s chest, spreading the coldness all over his body.

With ease, Taekwoon pushed Wonshik away. The distance was enough to let Wonshik see clearly the hollowness inside Taekwoon’s gaze.

“There’s no end to this breakup, Wonshik. We’re not going to get back together until I declare that we’re done breaking up,” said Taekwoon.

“That makes no sense at all,” blurted Wonshik out.

“So is your breakup declaration,” retorted Taekwoon quickly. “You are crazy if you thought that I’d agree with that breakup, and I’ll be crazy enough to accept you back right after you’re dumped by someone you chose over me.”

Taekwoon let out a deep sigh, feeling how his whole body trembled either with suppressed anger or uncontrolled sorrow.

“Go now, while I’m still being reasonable,” said Taekwoon, oddly calm.

There were numerous actions Wonshik could choose, numerous decisions he could take, but in the end he took the exact same one as the one he did after telling Taekwoon that their relationship had ended; he walked away without a word.

But this time, instead of closing the door without even looking back, Wonshik hesitated and let himself have one last look at the man he left behind.

And unlike the last time, Taekwoon didn’t look at the door at all. He didn’t scream, didn’t yell, didn’t even move from his spot to chase Wonshik at all.

The silence killed him more than all the curses and profanities shot at him before.