Bloom Bloom

It Has To Be You And Me

“Have you told him?” asked Jongin as soon as he was seated at the bar so he could gossip with Wonshik.

“Tell who?” asked Wonshik back, confused, as he let himself go into autopilot mode to prepare some coffee Jongin had ordered.

“He hasn’t. Wonshik isn’t sure that he’s single; that’s why he’s hesitating,” said Taemin as he joined Jongin on the bar, completely abandoning his own work station, but mostly because he was very sure that no one would suddenly show up and ask for flowers.

“But it doesn’t mean that he is surely not single, right? Then just make sure by confessing to him,” said Jongin.

“I completely don’t know what you two are talking about,” commented Wonshik with a slight head shake, although his reddening ears showed that he knew exactly what they were talking about.

The bell Taemin insisted to be put on their cafe’s door chimed, signaling a new visitor coming. Out of habit, all of them turned towards the door, and Taemin smiled so wide that his eyes turned into crescents.

“Speak of the devil,” whispered Taemin to Jongin. Despite urging Wonshik to confess to his crush almost on a daily basis, Jongin had yet to see this crush in person. But then he finally, finally saw just who caught the attention of his dear friend, he could only raise his eyebrows in disbelief.

Why; because the man who had just entered was no other than the owner of the bakery right across the street. Their cafe was pretty much that bakery’s business partner, and it’s mostly because of Wonshik’s suggestion. He always spoke highly of the baked goods and urged Jongin to form a partnership with the bakery, and he couldn’t refuse especially when even Taemin agreed to it.

“Good evening. I’m here for the daily income report,” said the man. The golden nameplate on his chest showed that his name was ‘Jung Taekwoon’.

“Good evening, Taekwoon-ssi! Wonshik is currently preoccupied, so let me handle it,” said Taemin as he guided Taekwoon to the seat at the corner of the store. Taekwoon nodded and followed him, seemingly already used to that arrangement.

“Hey, Wonshik… That’s the guy? Your crush?” asked Jongin hushedly as Wonshik served his coffee. Wonshik stole a glance at the two, but he didn’t say anything and simply went away to get some cups. Still, from the way Wonshik’s ears went red, Jongin can already make a conclusion.

When Wonshik got out from the bar and silently placed a paper cup in front of Taekwoon, Jongin felt even more sure about his hunch.

“Kim Wonshik, although you have some shares and are the one operating this coffee shop, it doesn’t mean you can give away free coffee to your crush,” whispered Jongin teasingly.

“I paid for that coffee so shut up,” whispered Wonshik back. Jongin clicked his tongue in dissatisfaction.

“And yet you never paid for my coffee? Although we’ve been friends for years? So heartless…” commented Jongin.

“Hey, you hold the largest share of this shop, you're practically the owner. Pay for your own coffee,” replied Wonshik. Jongin made a face and mumbled something like ‘stingy’ under his breath, but he didn’t make any further comment as he sipped on his coffee.

The income report seemed to have ended, looking at how Taemin and Taekwoon stood up from their respective seats and bowed a bit to each other. Taekwoon took the paper cup Wonshik put earlier and walked to the bar. He seemed to hesitate when he saw how Wonshik was attending to Jongin, but Jongin quickly tried to brighten the atmosphere.

“Good evening. I’ve heard about you from Wonshik and Taemin. I’m Kim Jongin, one of the shareholders and founders of this coffee shop, as well as a friend of these fools,” said Jongin with a bright smile. Taekwoon seemed to be surprised, and he awkwardly bowed to him.

“Ah, hello. I’m Jung Taekwoon from the bakery across the street,” greeted Taekwoon back. There was an awkward silence between them, but thankfully Wonshik saved it quite quickly.

“Taekwoon-ssi, I’ve boxed what’s left of your cakes today. Luckily it’s only one slice. Anyway, the new Earl Grey Milk Tea Roll Cake is very popular. It sold out very quickly this morning,” said Wonshik as he placed a paper bag on the bar.

“Oh… Since there's only one slice left, you can have it. I won’t charge it,” said Taekwoon.

“Is it really okay for me to take it?” asked Wonshik.

“Please do. You’ve always given me free coffee after all,” said Taekwoon. Wonshik smiled brightly and gave Taekwoon a slight bow.

“Then I’ll gladly receive it,” said Wonshik. Taekwoon smiled a little, but he quickly turned away to hide his embarrassment.

“I’m leaving first. Thank you for the coffee, Wonshik-ssi,” said Taekwoon as he left. He didn’t even remember to bid Jongin and Taemin goodbye, and simply ran straight back to his bakery.

After Jongin was sure that Taekwoon was far enough to not hear anything, he quickly turned to Wonshik and shouted, “Why haven’t you confessed to him?! He clearly likes you too!”

“That’s what I’ve been saying!” added Taemin enthusiastically.

Wonshik sighed and gestured to the door defeatedly. “Just… wait and observe. You’ll see why,” said Wonshik. Taemin let out a long sigh, already knowing what’s about to happen, but he kept his mouth shut for the time being so Jongin could assess the situation more objectively.

A few minutes after Taekwoon went inside the bakery, a guy arrived in front of the bakery. He didn’t look like a customer who happened to be late, since he just leisurely stood beside the door. A minute later, Taekwoon got out of the store, smiling brightly as he chatted with that man and locked the bakery’s door. Once he’s done, the man just casually and effortlessly draped his arm on Taekwoon’s shoulder, chatting happily as they walked away.

“That’s the reason why you’re unsure? You think that guy is his boyfriend or something?” asked Jongin immediately.

“I mean, they look close enough to be ‘just’ friends,” argued Wonshik.

“Hey, are you and I not close? Are you and Taemin not close too? Seriously, look at the mirror! You also cling to your friends like a baby koala! Why else do you think we can’t get any taller?!” protested Jongin immediately.

“Yeah, okay, but still! What friend came over every day after the store’s closed just to walk home together? I’m really sure that they’re more than that,” argued Wonshik.

“I guess you have a point… I mean, at least we’re going home together because we both work at the same place and our apartment units are just a few floors away…” said Taemin as he folded his arms.

“Then he can be that baker’s neighbor. That makes sense too,” said Jongin immediately, and Taemin nodded in agreement, feeling more enlightened.

“But they don’t have to walk home together, do they?” replied Wonshik.

“So what? As much as there’s no proof that he’s not the boyfriend, there’s also no proof that he’s the boyfriend. I vote ‘yes’ for you to confess to him,” said Jongin, completely ignoring all arguments Wonshik said earlier.

“I vote ‘yes’ too,” added Taemin far too cheerfully.

Wonshik could only let out a long, tired sigh.


“So when are you going to stop using me as a tool to test that barista’s jealousy level?” asked Hakyeon as he walked with his arm around Taekwoon’s shoulder. Taekwoon was quick to shake off that arm as soon as they were far enough from the cafe.

“I’m not using you to test his jealousy level,” Taekwoon quickly denied.

“Oh, please. I know you like him, and he probably likes you too, but you’re too proud to confess first, so you’re trying to make him jealous and hopefully confess to you soon enough,” said Hakyeon. Taekwoon pouted like a child, and that’s enough confirmation for Hakyeon.

“Just a quick piece of advice from someone who has been in an actual relationship, be extra careful when you’re playing with fire. You won’t know whether your little trick will push him to declare his burning love to you, or it’ll backfire and dampen whatever feelings he has for you,” warned Hakyeon.

Taekwoon was still pouting, but it’s clear that he’s thinking very hard as well.

“One more night,” said Taekwoon, “Just pick me up after work for one more night. If I still haven't got my confession, then I’ll switch into the aggressive mode.”

Hakyeon really couldn’t hold back his grin looking at how determined his friend was.

“By the way, are you sure that he’s not dating that florist guy?” asked Taekwoon.

“Totally. That florist is definitely dating that owner guy who dropped by today. My love antenna can sense it,” replied Hakyeon confidently.

“I demand beef if you’re wrong,” said Taekwoon.

“And I demand beef if I’m right,” quipped Hakyeon.