Chapter 1: When Nightmares Become Reality

#1 When Dark Fell for the Light [Baekhyun]

"-ari!"

Your eyes opened quickly and then narrowed, the effect from the smoldering heat, as you stood in the midst of burning boards and raging flames.

"Nari, you need to run!"

Where am I?

You looked around searching among the burning rubble for where the voice was coming from.

"Nari! Run!"

Where are you? I can't see, you opened my mouth to shout out my worries but it was useless. It was as if a hand was holding onto your throat and squeezing every time you wanted to speak.

"Nari," the voice whispered right beside your ear. You gasped as you could feel the warm breath hit your neck. "You need to leave."

"Nari!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You gasped as you sat up on the seat that you were currently in. A few of the people around you looked at you with widened eyes before slowly going back to what they were doing. You took several deep breaths to calm your racing heart and feeling heat rise to your cheeks from all the attention that had been on you.

"You okay, Nari?" Your friend Gayeong asked as she happened to be walking by when you had your spazz moment.

You sighed and nodded, bringing your elbows onto the table and putting your face in your hands. "Yeah, I just haven't been able to sleep lately."

She frowned, her eyebrows dipping together out of concern, and laid her hand on your back rubbing soothing circles. "Have you tried the medicine the doctor gave you?"

Shaking your head you pulled back and rubbed under your eyes, "You know I'm too horrified to even touch them."

"Yeah," she paused as she cocked her hip out, "I've never gotten that whole scared of pills thing. Is it because of when you were a kid or something? Terrible experience?"

You trailed off, your gaze moving out the window, before answering. "Yeah, something like that."

An awkward silence lingered slightly before she cleared and set her hands on the table a little harshly successful in grabbing your attention. You looked up at her with widened eyes and confusion. She was looking down at you with an 'i'm up to no good' smirk before opening to speak.

"So, I heard a certain guy by the name of Hyuk Jae has been looking for you." She teased as she poked at your arm making you roll your eyes.

"So?" You asked as you looked back down at your papers and tried your best to ignore the aggravating presence of your best friend.

"So?! Are you kidding me?! The hottest guy we go to uni with is looking for you and all you have to say is so?!"

Sighing you collected your papers and looked back up at her, "Because I have no reason to react to the so called hot guy looking for me."

"But-"

Gayeong shut up quickly when you sent her a look, rolling her eyes and pouting.

"Fine, I'll stop but just know you're being stupid."

Rolling your own eyes you smirked and finished gathering your things, standing from your chair and sliding your bag onto your shoulder. "Alright, I've got to go but I'll see you later when I start my shift."

"M'kay. Hey, quick reminder about Thursday night, you still willing to cover for me?"

"Of course," you told her before giving her a quick hug and turning to leave, "See you."

"See ya~ Be careful," she called out as she waved and then turned around quickly when she heard her name being called by one of the regulars.

You shook your head and ce more to continue leaving but was once more stopped when you ran into a solid chest, your papers and folders falling from your hands fluttering to the floor.

Cursing in your head you bent down and started to apologize profusely before seeing a pair of hands reach out and help you collect your things. You thanked them as you grabbed the rest of your papers from their hands and stood from the floor, looking up finally to see who you had run into.

And once you laid eyes on him you caught your breath and stared at him with dazed eyes.

There was only one word that could possibly define him and that was perfection. No other word would do him any justice. From his nice suit to his beautiful tanned skin, finally to his eyes. God you could spend hours just staring into his eyes and looking at the amount of depth that was in them.

He smiled and you felt your heart palpitate harshly at the sight, "You don't need to apologize so much. No harm no foul."

You felt yourself freeze once more at the honey-like sound of his voice.

Settling for apologizing once again you bowed your head and slipped past him, scolding yourself for wanting to glance back at him before hurrying down the street. No time for child-like crushes, Nari.

********************

"I'm here," you called out into the empty cafe as you headed towards the back kitchen to find Gayeong. She turned from the sink, large yellow rubber gloves on her arms as she washed dishes that were soaking in the large sink.

"Hey you're early," she said turning her attention back to the dishes.

"Yeah, I finished my exam early so I figured I'd come early to help you finish anything."

"Well, I'm almost finished up here. Oh! I didn't get to one of the tables though, the guys left kind of late so I wasn't able to clean it."

You reached over and grabbed the cleaning spray and a rag before heading out the door, "I'll get it."

"Thanks, babe~" She called out her nickname for you teasingly, making you let out a laugh.

When you got out to the tables you quickly scanned them for the one that was dirty, finding it quickly. You walked to it and started wiping it off pausing with a frown when you noticed folded paper at the corner of the table. Grabbing it you unfolded it and read the words scribbled on it.

It was a number and you snorted thinking that it was another guy trying to get at Gayeong.

"You have another admirer," you teasingly sang as you stepped back into the kitchen making her look back at you with confusion.

"What now?"

You wiggled the slip of paper that was wedged between your fingers at her with a smirk, "I see now why you didn't get around to that table."

"Uh, Nari?" She stated, nervousness laced lightly in her tone. "Turn it around."

You frowned and flipped the paper around to look at the back. Your eyes widened when you saw that the name written on it wasn't Gayeong instead it had another completely surprising name in beautiful long letters.

Choi Nari

"What the hell?"

"Well, I didn't think that's why he was asking your name. I just figured he thought you were hot."

You felt heat rush to your cheeks but your eyebrows drew together. "Who?"

"You know, that extremely hot guy that you had bumped into before when you were leaving."

Your eyes widened with surprise, "You mean he was asking about me?!"

She nodded, a smirk tugging at the corner of her lips. "Yeah, he sure was. I may have let it slip that you're working the later shift tonight and that you'd be coming back. Said his name was Baekhyun....something."

Shaking your head you honestly felt like face-palming because it was so typically Gayeong to give a guy she thought was hot personal information. You let out a sigh and walking back into the dinning area, setting the slip of paper on the counter by the register deciding to ignore it for now.

********************

"Have a good night! Thank you for coming~!" You called out with a small smile on your face as you watched the last regulars of the night leave.

After cleaning up the tables and flipping the chairs you walked to the door and locked both locks, looking around as you felt almost as if you were being watched. You flipped the sign off and walked to the register, starting to break it down and count the cash. You always hated being left alone during this part but never thought much of it since it was a relatively small town and everyone knew everyone so there was never much crime.

After a few minutes you had finished the register and were in the back washing dishes when you heard the front door's bell go off. You turned around and stared at the kitchen door with confusion.

"Gayeong?"

You called out, reaching over and grabbing a knife from the magnetic strip. You took slow, calculative, steps towards the kitchen bar where you had your phone laying down. As soon as you grabbed it the lights all shut off making you jump and let out a small squeak, unfortunately dropping the knife. You muttered a curse under your breath and decided that it wouldn't be smart to fell around in a dark room for it.

"You try to get that safe open and I'll go check in the back," you heard a gruff voice say from the front room.

You felt your eyes widen and you quickly ducked onto the floor and started to crawl under the table, closing your eyes and hoping for it to be over. Why does this crap always have to happen to me?!

Looking to your right you saw a pair of boots stop right beside you and you bit your lip to stay quiet as you heard something rustling around above you.

"Sh-, I can't see anything back here!"

"You know, I don't think screaming will help you keep your cover," a voice called out making the man beside you jump and fumble around with something in his hand.

"Who the hell is there?!"

You were frozen, only your eyes moving around quickly also trying to figure out what was happening. A deep chuckle came from a dark corner in the room making your heart race and goosebumps cover your arms.

"You sure you want to know?" The voice asked almost teasingly before you heard the man start to scream.

Reaching up you covered your ears, trying to block out the screaming. What the hell is going on? Before you knew it the screaming stopped and the everything had become eerily silent.

Run, Nari.

Gasping you jumped up and ignored the dead body laying in the kitchen as you took off, rushing out of the cafe. You never stopped, never looked back, just kept running from whatever the hell was in that building. Though you were forced to a stop when you bumped into something, or well someone.

"Woah," you heard before feeling arms come around you and steady you. "You okay?"

Panting, you looked up at the person who had caught you and almost sighed in relief when you noticed it was the guy from this morning. His eyes widened in recognition before narrowing slightly in concern.

"Nari?"

"Baekhyun."