Before

Strawberries & Cigarettes

“Kyungsoo, are you up for a get together this Saturday?” Baekhyun’s voice cuts through the chatter of the cafeteria and Kyungsoo turns his head, looking away from the window that he’d been staring out of. His expression is nonchalant, his lips pressed together firmly as he takes another spoonful of cold pasta. Chewing slowly, he thinks of how he should start bringing his own lunches to school rather than relying on whatever was being sold.

“Whose house?” Kyungsoo asks quietly. In a school with only about 76 students, it was hard to be excluded. Kyungsoo and his friends were in no way traditional “party people” however, everyone in this town had a secret. For the teenagers it was the alcohol and tobacco at local house parties being held whenever the adults left their homes to go gamble at the casino on the other side of town.

“I think this time it’s Yifan sunbae, his parents are in China right now,” Chanyeol answers and Kyungsoo takes in another spoonful of pasta, his plastic spoon screeching against the edge of his styrofoam bowl. The Wu family was well known for their wealth. Of course Kyungsoo would never understand why such high class business people would move to such a backwater town but he also guesses that maybe they wanted a quieter life. 

Naturally that didn’t stop them from buying out the casino the moment they moved in. Their home is high on a hill, not quite a mansion but it had an extravagant pool and a gate like in every movie. This wasn’t the first time he’d be hosting a party and this wouldn’t be the first time Kyungsoo would attend one. This would probably be his 5th party since starting high school and he was only ending his second year. Baekhyun steals his last pieces of pasta and Kyungsoo sighs,

“We’re going to go anyways right? What are the formalities?” Kyungsoo shoves the empty styrofoam at his friend who doesn’t argue, standing up from the small table to throw their trash out. Kyungsoo lazily looks around the cafeteria seeing all of the people he’d grown up with. No one really changed and there wasn’t anyone he didn’t know. There was two lunch periods, one for the 9th and 10th graders and one for the 11th and 12th graders.

“Yifan sunbae said anyone who hears about it is invited, and for once he’s allowing drunkards to stay the night in one of his many guest rooms. The only consequence to that is you have to help clean up the morning after,” Jongdae, who’s been quiet this whole time finally decides to chime in and Kyungsoo cringes at the thought of having to clean up the bedrooms. Despite it being such a small town, people kept their mouth shut about who they slept with.

“Alright then, whose parents are out this weekend?” Kyungsoo furrows his brows and he knows that his parents will definitely be home. Baekhyun returns to the table, his chair making a very unattractive noise as he plops himself down, adjusting his uniform as he does so. They’re quiet for a moment as Chanyeol fills in Baekhyun about what they’d been talking about, his eyes light up and he smiles.

“Mine will be out, they’ll be visiting my older brother so you can all crash at mine after,” Baekhyun says and they all collectively nod. Kyungsoo perks up once he hears the first bell ring and none of his friends move a muscle as he stands from the table they only give him half hearted waves and small murmurs of ‘see you after school’ as he leaves. The first bell meant that they had five minutes till the next and another 5 minutes before class began. Kyungsoo however needed to stop by his locker which was on the other side of the school so he usually left first.

As he exits the cafeteria he can see some of the older students pouring out of their own classrooms and he knows that his friends will be kicked out of their spots soon. Kyungsoo ducks under the arm of a twelfth grader who waves at another and he swerves between two eleventh graders. He’s too occupied to see who they are and he only has his locker on his mind. He takes the stairwell near the music classroom, it’s quite old and barely frequented but it was closer to his locker upstairs. 

Kyungsoo pushes open the door almost violently and he immediately knows that he’s not alone. From where he is on the first floor he can see the outline of another person in the middle of the stairwell, the small platform where the stairs changed direction. He can recognize this person from anywhere, those blonde locks belonged to none other than Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo squints as the sunlight from the dusty window blinds him and he almost gasps when he sees the way the light encases Jongin in all of its glory.

Jongin’s blonde hair was messy like always, although on most days it’d be stuffed under a worn black beanie, today it was naturally loose and fluffy. He was sitting on the floor, his eyes closed as he leans against the wall. Kyungsoo takes a quick second to admire his features as he gingerly makes his way up the stairs. Jongin looked like he could be a model, or maybe a kpop idol with his godly ability to make a school uniform look amazing.

His lashes were long and dark, laying against his cheeks peacefully. His nose was prominent and his lips were very lush, not to mention how he looked like he’d been kissed by the sun his whole life. Kyungsoo could never speak these words out loud but Kim Jongin was very handsome. Everyone liked to look away when he walked by but not Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo would end up staring in awe.

In a small town like theirs, anyone who was perceived as different was also seen as dangerous. Kyungsoo liked to think it was because Jongin liked to keep his head up high as he walked, while everyone else stared at the floor. Possibly it was his confidence that scared everyone. Despite being told to stay away from the other teen, Kyungsoo had never heard any bad rumours about Jongin. Only about his hair, his piercings and his hidden tattoos, that all had to do with appearance however and Kyungsoo liked Jongin’s appearance quite a lot so it didn’t bother him.

His eyes widen when he realizes he’s been standing in front of Jongin’s sleeping form, blatantly staring for god knows how long. With his heart pounding in his chest Kyungsoo hurries up the steps, completely unaware of the lingering gaze following him. 


Kyungsoo isn’t surprised in the slightest when he hears absolutely nothing when he and his friends climb the long driveway leading up to the Wu mansion. Although they were ways up on top of a hill, there were still neighbours and sound travelled far in such a quiet town. He already knew that the Wu mansion was perfectly equipped with sound proof walls but he couldn’t help but feel the omniousity of the large home in the dark.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol are walking in front of him, both of them talking adamantly about something he’d tuned out long ago, Jongdae beside him is quiet. Kyungsoo doesn’t know why he bothers letting himself attend these things, possibly it was only because he wanted a taste of what he knew he couldn’t have. A life of music and alcohol. Not that it was desired but it was a change from their everyday lives. Kyungsoo shakes his head, he’s not making sense again.

Forcing his mind to remain blank, Kyungsoo shivers when he and his friends reach the top of the hill. Tonight wasn’t a cold one, yet being so high up only resulted in harsher winds. No doubt the pool would be empty tonight, which meant that everyone was going to be huddled up inside, absolutely wonderful. Kyungsoo shifts uncomfortably as they stand in front of the grand doors, waiting for someone to answer after Baekhyun’s excessive use of the door knocker.

Moments later the door opens almost dramatically and Kyungsoo immediately squints at the bright lights attacking him. His nose twitches at the smell of alcohol and tobacco along with a suspicious hint of . Music is blaring loudly and Kyungsoo can feel each beat loudly in his chest, he’d been so occupied with adjusting to the sudden assault to his senses that he hadn’t even noticed that Yifan had been the one to open the door. Not only that but his friends probably already finished greeting him because now they were all stood inside, watching Kyungsoo curiously.

“Good evening Yifan sunbae,” Kyungsoo regains his composure and he steps inside, from the shadows to the artificial lights. Yifan shuts the door behind him and locks it promptly. He has a bottle of beer in his hand while the other is held out for what Kyungsoo can’t decipher as a hi-five or a bro hug type of thing. He simply gives the older man a hi-five and his friends suppress their laughter but Kyungsoo could care less.

“Hi Kyungsoo, as formal as always I see. Enjoy yourself guys, booze is in the kitchen, hard liquor is off limits and smoking is to be done on the balconies in select bedrooms and outside only. The pool is free to use but don’t come into the house soaked unless you want me to beat your asses, go off now,” Yifan speech is slurred ever so slightly and Kyungsoo wonders how much he’s had to drink, they weren’t “late” after all. Party started at 8PM, they showed up at 9PM.

Kyungsoo and his friends make their way into the living room first, where a bunch of teenagers are attempting to dance and grind against each other at the same time. To Kyungsoo it all just looked too suffocating and a little awkward to be honest. He tries not to let his stare linger, not wanting to associate any of his classmates with a weird house party. Well he already had weird memories of everyone but he’d rather not have any more at least. 

They pass by the dining room and Kyungsoo ignores the wet noises he hears from the couple who’ve so lovingly perched themselves on the table. No one seems to care about them though so he definitely wasn’t going to tell them to get a room. The kitchen has to be Kyungsoo’s favourite part of the house, mainly because it was so open and bright. Well as bright as it could be at 9PM, he was sure it looked stunning in the morning light though.

“Kyungsoo, do you want a beer?” Jongdae asks and he holds one out for his friend to take. Kyungsoo stares at the glass bottle for a second, not really sure if he felt like drinking anything tonight. He was kind of hungry more than anything but he knew that Yifan only provided drugs and alcohol, not food. Kyungsoo shakes his head and he stands around for a moment while his friends dramatically sip their beers.

“I’m going to go get some fresh air,” Kyungsoo says quietly and he doesn’t even know if they heard him but no one makes a move when he passes by. Kyungsoo heads towards the grand door in the kitchen and he slides them open before he steps outside, he inhales the Spring air and closes the doors behind him, the music and chatter immediately lulling into comfortable silence. Kyungsoo sighs and he shoves his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. 

“The pool was illuminated by led lights that shine from within. It looks mesmerizing to say the least, and he was a little sad that it looked so lonely. Kyungsoo walks across the cobblestone path and he heads towards the lounge chairs lined up at the other end of the pool. Kyungsoo places his phone on the first chair he sees before he removes his shoes and his socks, placing them on top as well. The soft grass felt cold between his toes but he paid it no mind.

Kyungsoo then leaned down and he begins to roll up his sweatpants so that they sit above his knees. The sound of water catches his attention but when he looks up he sees nothing, although the brightness of the lights kept him from noticing the way the water rippled. Kyungsoo grabs his phone again and he grunts as he squats down to sit at the edge of the in ground pool. He places his phone safely beside him and dunks his feet into the water, a pleasant smile on his lips at the heated water.

For a few moments Kyungsoo just sits there amicably, a smile on his lips and his feet swinging in the water. He feels content sitting alone outside. Sure he wasn’t enjoying all that the party had to offer and he could just sit around alone at home but this was different. He felt free without four walls closing him in. Kyungsoo’s thoughts are interrupted when someone emerges from the water. His heart jumps out of his chest since he’d been positive that he was alone but that tuft of blonde hair stated otherwise.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen as he watches the way Jongin moves. Jongin flips his head back and his hands push his wet locks away back, water streaming down his face. His eyes are closed and his mouth is hung open, inhaling harshly as he’d been underwater for quite a long time. Kyungsoo swallows when he notices that Jongin was shirtless and the pool itself wasn’t that deep so he could see all of his beautiful features. 

Jongin looked like pure sin. Kyungsoo could see the way that the water sat in all of his dips and curves, shining from the lights as they highlighted his golden skin. Their eyes met and Kyungsoo felt his heart stop. He couldn’t move a muscle as Jongin waded towards him, slow steps as if he couldn’t decide whether walking or swimming would be faster. Jongin perches himself on the edge of the pool, a few inches away from Kyungsoo.

They don’t say anything to each other. After all, why would they? Jongin probably didn’t even know his name. Kyungsoo sees Jongin reach out towards something sitting on the cobblestone and he notices that there were indeed clothes there. All black though so Kyungsoo wasn’t surprised he didn’t realize until now that someone was inside of the pool. Jongin reaches and blindly searches before he pulls out a pack of cigarettes as well as a lighter.

Kyungsoo can’t help but watch as Jongin opens the half finished pack and rests a stick of cancer between his oddly red tinted lips. Jongin then picks up an old looking lighter that probably came from the convenience store down the street. His fingers are wet and he can’t seem to properly spark a light so Kyungsoo carefully reaches for it, their fingers brushing as runs his thumb down the sparkwheel. 

Jongin leans in when he sees the flame and he lights his cigarette, exhaling round puffs of smoke as he does. Kyungsoo puts out the lighter and places it back where he’d seen Jongin grab it from. Despite Kyungsoo feeling more than nervous about sitting here with Kim Jongin, there was a sense of comfort as well. Things were silent, aside from the splash of water here and there but Kyungsoo didn’t feel suffocated.

“What are you doing out here alone?” Jongin asks and Kyungsoo unconsciously flinches at the sound of his voice. He’d never heard it before to be honest. The sound wasn’t anything like he had imagined. Jongin’s voice was a mixture of husky, nasally and warm. His voice was quite opposite of Kyungsoo’s which people often described as smooth. Kyungsoo doesn’t know Jongin in the slightest, and it was beginning to concern him, how much Jongin’s torso was affecting him.

“It’s stuffy inside… aren’t you cold?” as if on cue a cool gust of wind rushes past them and Kyungsoo can see goosebumps erupting on smooth skin. Jongin inhales once more and he creates a ring of smoke when he exhales, which Kyungsoo finds a little impressive if he had to be honest. He wasn’t sure if his expression had shown his awe but the way Jongin’s eyes twinkled must’ve meant something right?

“It’s much colder inside,” Jongin says quietly and Kyungsoo doesn’t know what that means. He finds himself staring at Jongin who looks at the trees behind him. When Jongin looks up at him he doesn’t avert his eyes. They look at one another for what seems like ages, Kyungsoo can see the way Jongin’s gaze flitters from one eye to the other, unsure of which to focus on but then his eyes trail downwards, finding purchase on Kyungsoo’s lips.

Suddenly, Jongin smiles. A bright smile that Kyungsoo had never seen before, mainly used to seeing scowls and lost expressions. Jongin keeps his cigarette between his lips and he reaches into what Kyungsoo assumed was the pocket of his jeans and he pulled out a candy. This candy was round in the middle, the sweet itself covered in a bright red packaging with little yellow seeds printed onto it, while the twisted parts of the wrapper were a metallic green.

Kyungsoo simply stares as Jongin holds the sweet delicately between his fingers, pulling it so that the wrapper unfurls and the little pink candy is revealed. His fingers daintily pick up the candy and he holds it up in front of Kyungsoo’s lips. Jongin’s grin doesn’t falter in the slightest and his eyebrows even perk up as he urges for Kyungsoo to eat it. Kyungsoo doesn’t see any harm in eating the thing and he wants to take it with his own fingers but he decides to be bold, opening his mouth for Jongin to plop it inside.

Jongin doesn’t lower his hand and he stares at Kyungsoo, analyzing his face carefully as he begins to taste the candy. Kyungsoo moves the small ball of sugar around in his mouth and he smacks his lips together before he bites down. The crunch is loud enough to hear from within the house and Jongin’s face morphs into one of complete horror. Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow as he chews the pieces of candy.

“You… bite your candies?” Jongin whispers as if the idea of biting candy was the equivalent of committing murder. Kyungsoo feels like if he told the other teen that he bit his ice cream as well he’d be dubbed a monster. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything else but he allows the sweet to melt on his tongue, there seemed to be a hint of bitterness beneath all that sugar. It was interesting to say in the least. 

“You seem a little sad Kyungsoo, what’s on your mind?” the sound of his name coming from Jongin’s lips was something he’d never even dreamt of. He had no idea that someone like Jongin knew his name but then again they did attend a school of 76 and lived in a tiny town. Kyungsoo doesn’t know how to answer and he doesn’t find himself caring because all he can look at is Jongin’s lips and the way they stretch into a sad smile.

“Be careful Kyungsoo, if you stare too long I’ll assume you want me to kiss you,” Jongin says this all in a light hearted manner but Kyungsoo’s expressions shows a depth of seriousness. He wants to say something, joke about how they were both men and that he wouldn’t want to kiss Jongin even if his life depended on it. But here he was, silent and unable to counter what was the truth. Jongin’s smile fades and pulls out an ashtray from his clothes, stuffing the half finished cigarette inside.

Jongin then steps back, pulling away from the edge of the pool and he looks at Kyungsoo intently, speaking with his eyes in ways that Kyungsoo cannot understand. But he knows one thing, he does want to kiss Jongin, and so that’s what he does. Kyungsoo ignores the fact that he has his clothes on, and that this could potentially ruin him for the rest of his days in this small town but he takes the leap.

Kyungsoo falls forward with his arms outstretched and his heart sings when Jongin’s strong arms catch him. Their lips smash together painfully and Jongin falls back into the water, bringing Kyungsoo with him. Their eyes are both wide open, Kyungsoo can feel the sting from the chlorine and he can see small wisps of red polluting the water, one of them must’ve busted a lip from the impact. Nonetheless Kyungsoo likes the way his lungs burn, the way Jongin takes his breath away (or maybe that was just the water).

They part and surface loudly, Kyungsoo unconsciously clings onto Jongin for support, feeling his body heat thru his soaked clothes. The two pant as they replenish the air in their lungs and Kyungsoo feels flustered when Jongin pushes his hair out of his face. Jongin leans in for another kiss and only then does Kyungsoo feel the throbbing in his top lip. So the blood was his then. They stay there kissing without a care in the world, arms linked, bodies pressed together, hips grinding and only when Kyungsoo hears glass breaking from within the house does he remember his surroundings.

“Meet me in one of the rooms upstairs?” Jongin whispers against Kyungsoo’s lips, the water on his lashes make him look ethereal. Kyungsoo can’t say anything but he nods, swallowing hard when Jongin grins, kissing him chastely once more like he couldn’t help himself. They get out of the pool together and Jongin hands him one of the towels piled up on a lounge chair. They dry off as best as they can, well for Jongin it was easy but for Kyungsoo it was proving to be difficult. 

“Here wear this, I’ll be waiting in the room at the end of the hall,” Jongin hands him a long sleeved shirt and he presses his lips against Kyungsoo’s cheek before he heads back into the house. Kyungsoo removes his hoodie and t shirt, followed by his sweatpants and he keeps his briefs on. He then slips on the shirt Jongin had given him, the fabric falling above his knees. This shirt looked like it would be big on Jongin so on him it was huge.

Kyungsoo then wastes no time, knowing that if he hesitated he’d be caught by his friends. Or maybe, he was afraid that Jongin wouldn’t be there if he didn’t move fast enough. Kyungsoo steps into the house after putting on his socks and shoes and he bolts past the kitchen, through the dining room and through the living room before he darts up the grand staircase. He doesn’t know which way to go but he can see a strawberry sweet sitting beside a flower pot to his left.

He grabs said sweet and pops it into his mouth, reminiscing of how Jongin’s lips were probably tinted red because of these. He heads down the hallway and opens the door to the room at the end. That night he and Jongin talk about numerous things between desperate kisses and unsure touches. When Kyungsoo wakes the next morning, he’s alone. Not a single trace of Jongin belongs, the shirt on his back changed back to his old clothes.

Jongin hadn’t left a number, a note, he left nothing. Kyungsoo scoffs and he shakes his head, ready for the impending doom that awaits him when Jongin tells the town that he had lusted for a man. But that never comes. And when Kyungsoo meets Jongin’s eyes at school, he can only see longing. 

 

---------------------

A/N

Naturally the vibe of this is much lighter ^^ also I'm surprised this is a clean 4k LOL

Sorry for the wait but also thank you for the interest? I'm actually really happy y'all wanted more to this au ;; sorry if I disappoint but also uhh here's the best I could do

This of course is how they met :) there's a lot of hidden things in this story since I don't share everything through words

See if you can understand these characters

Thank you <3 I've no idea when I'll write the sequel but for now I've gotten this done at least :D

- Airi