His Boxy Smile

His Boxy Smile

It was only 7:05 in the morning and Jungkook was already seated at his desk waiting impatiently tapping his foot as he looked at the classroom door, waiting for his classmates to come into class. More specifically, he was waiting for a specific classmate to come in, Kim Taehyung. Taehyung was a very quiet and studious student, who always got nice grades, and would often stay late to ask the teacher many questions, which he never asked in class. Taehyung always knew the answer to the problems that the teacher asked the class to solve, but he never raised his hand to answer them. He always waited to be called and would give a little small frown when the teacher didn't call on him. If he ever made a mistake on a problem, he would spend hours and hours trying to figure out how to solve the problem and why he made the mistake.

 

To sum everything up, Taehyung would be what most people considered a nerd. He spent hours studying and barely spoke to anyone outside of group projects. He wore big round glasses, that paired with his brown locks and constant fashion choice of plaid made him look like one of your stereotypical TV nerds from the 90s. So, why was Jungkook, the most popular boy in school, who was known to be a fashionista, waiting for the class nerd? Well the answer was simple, Jungkook has seen Taehyung's boxy smile. Usually Jungkook left school as soon as the bell rang. He only stayed in school as long as he needed to and left as soon as he could. He had a life and friends outside of school, and school was not typically where all the fun was. However, a month ago Jungkook forgot to hand in one assignment and that assignment cost him an hour in detention afterschool. And that one hour was all the popular boy needed to fall heads over heels for the class nerd.

 

Jungkook once again glanced at the clock, which now read 7:09. He didn't know what time Taehyung came to school, but he knew the boy came in early. Taehyung was always in his seat when Jungkook came to class at 7:30, which Jungkook considered to be early, although most would say he was just on time. Jungkook sighed as he thought about how his crush came to be. He was working on his assignment in detention when Taehyung came into the classroom. He asked the teacher a few hundred questions about their new assignment before taking a seat next to Jungkook. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Jungkook let out a frustrated sigh, throwing his pencil down on the table and leaning back into his chair. Taehyung had noticed and looked up from his homework to glance at Jungkook's overdue assignment.

 

"If you have time to be frustrated, why don't you study?" The teacher commented.

"I do study!" Jungkook retorted.

"Well, obviously not enough." The teacher scoffed. "Anyone looking at your grades can tell."

 

Jungkook scowled at the man, who was chuckling behind the desk. He obviously didn't have a life and preferred to just hand out dozens of assignments every week to his class to make sure they don't have a life as well... At least that's what Jungkook thought.

 

"Look, if you have time to be glaring at me, why don't you have Taehyung, here, help you." The teacher motioned to Taehyung, who was taken back since he was suddenly thrown into the conversation.

 

Nevertheless, Taehyung leaned in to take a closer look at Jungkook's assignment. He spent a few moments looking at the assignment, while the teacher announced he was going to the staff room for a few minutes and left.

 

"You're actually almost done." Taehyung looked up at Jungkook. When Jungkook met his gaze, the boy quickly put it down. "Umm..." With shaky hands, he started pointing out and explaining Jungkook's mistakes.

 

At first Jungkook simply leaned in to see and hear Taehyung's explanations, but the moment he looked up at the boy and saw his side profile he was smitten. Taehyung had flawless skin and a perfect jawline. His lips were the right shade of pink and wasn't took plump or too skinny. It was perfectly kissable. Not to mention, his eyes, which were hiding behind his bangs, was a beautiful shade of brown.

 

Taehyung probably felt Jungkook checking him out because he quickly turned his head, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink. "Is something wrong?" The boy asked.

"No,” Jungkook shook his head, regaining his composure. "Uh... Can you explain it to me one more time?"

Taehyung save him a small grin. "Sure."

 

The way Taehyung had explained everything made it easy for Jungkook to understand. Before he knew it, he was finished with his overdue assignment and was finishing up his homework. It didn't take long for him to finish the homework too, because with Taehyung's help it was easy to understand.

 

"Thank you for helping me today." Jungkook told the boy as he packed his bag.

"No problem." Taehyung smiled, this time widely.

 

Taehyung had a beautiful boxy smile that showed off his perfect white teeth. Jungkook had never seen Taehyung smile before, but he was smitten. He thought that the boy in front of him had the most angelic smile in the world, and upon closer inspection, the looks of a god. If anyone didn't notice Taehyung's beauty behind his glasses and knowledge, then Jungkook would be happy because he didn't want to share this beautiful creature with anyone.

 

Taehyung's phone rang, and he quickly left to answer it, leaving Jungkook in his current predicament a month later. Jungkook could barely find the time to chat with the boy and get to know him because Taehyung was busy studying for midterms. He often quickly left class for the library and spent most of his time outside of the library asking the teachers many questions. It didn't help that Jungkook was also trying to study for midterms while juggling his social life, which wasn't the best right now because his best friend Jimin was going through a period of estrangement with his boyfriend Yoongi, who was also Jungkook's friend. Midterms finally finished on Friday and today was Monday. Jungkook was determined to finally talk to Taehyung and hopefully become friends.

 

Jungkook looked at the clock again and it was 7:55. Most of his classmates were already in their seats and the teacher was already seated at his desk waiting for the bell to ring. Taehyung hadn't arrived yet, which worried Jungkook since he was never late for class. Just then Taehyung ran into class. He was covered in dirt and his glasses were cracked. He wasn't carrying his bag like he normally did. Instead he carried his books, which was also covered in dirt, in his arms. He also seemed to have tears in his eyes. Jungkook stood up to go to Taehyung but was forced to take his seat when the bell rang, and the teacher ordered him to sit. He worriedly glanced at his crush before sitting back down.

 

Class continued on like normal, except Taehyung wasn't taking notes like he usually did. Instead Taehyung had his books open and was focused on reading the notes on the board. It suddenly occurred to Jungkook that Taehyung probably didn't have a pencil since his rainbow-colored pencil case wasn't on his desk and he walked into class with no bag.

 

"Taehyung can you answer this question." The teacher suddenly called Taehyung up to the board.

 

This usually would have been your typical student answering a problem given by the teacher and the other students not really paying attention to the student answering the problem, but today was different. Everyone was whispering about the dirty state of Taehyung's clothing amongst other rumors about why it was dirty. Jungkook could tell Taehyung was uncomfortable by how much his hands were shaking as he held the chalk up to the board. Taehyung started writing, but quickly erased the board. He did a few times, so Jungkook knew that he was having a hard time concentrating.

 

"You think Hyunseung really kicked Taehyung's this morning?" Jungkook heard one of the boys next to him whisper.

"Probably, I mean look at him." His friend replied. "He's filthy."

"I feel bad for the nerd, but that's what you get when you try to score out of your league with the basketball captain." The boy chuckled.

 

Jungkook snapped. He jumped out of his chair and walked up to Taehyung, grabbing the boy's wrist. Taehyung stared at him shocked as Jungkook pulled him out of the room.

 

"Jungkook!" The teacher shouted. "What are you doing?!"

"Taehyung's not feeling well." Jungkook glared at the man. "I'm taking him to the health room."

 

Jungkook pulled Taehyung out of the room.

 

"Jungkook! Wait!" Taehyung exclaimed a few times. "Jungkook!"

 

Jungkook pulled the boy in front of him and pushed him into the hallway wall. Taehyung winced from the pain before staring at Jungkook wide eyed.

 

"Why were you late? Why are you covered in dirt? Where's your bag?" Jungkook shouted so many questions at once, Taehyung was a bit scared.

 

Jungkook had barely interacted with him before, yet now Jungkook was upset and pulling him out of the class. Taehyung was confused and scared.

 

"I-I-I... T-T-This morning Hyunseung... I didn't do it!" Taehyung started sobbing.

 

Jungkook melted when Taehyung started crying. His anger vanished and was replaced by sadness and guilt.

 

"What happened?" This time Jungkook asked with a softer tone.

Taehyung tried to wipe his tears, but they wouldn't stop falling. "T-T-They p-pushed me down and... it hurt too much."

"Where?" Jungkook caressed the boy's cheek.

"M-M-My stomach..." Taehyung sobbed. "They wouldn't stop kicking."

 

Jungkook reached down and pulled up Taehyung's shirt. His torso was covered in black and blue. Jungkook winced. It was painful just looking at it.

 

"I'm sorry." Jungkook reached out to hug him. Taehyung gasped, trying to push Jungkook away, but he pulled him tighter. Taehyung gave in and started crying onto Jungkook’s shoulder and into his neck. Jungkook could feel the boy's tears soaking into his shirt. Jungkook rubbed Taehyung's back. "It's okay, it won't happen anymore." Taehyung squeezed him back.

 

Taehyung cried into Jungkook's neck until his tears dried up. They stayed like that until Taehyung became clear minded. He quickly pulled away embarrassed. He had cried in the arms of someone he didn't know very well.

 

"Feeling better?" Jungkook asked, running his hands through Taehyung's hair.

 

Taehyung nodded. He was too embarrassed to form words. He looked down at his shoes. Jungkook took the boy by the chin, forcefully, yet gently, making the boy look at him. Jungkook peered into his eyes, slowly leaning in closer until they could feel each other's breath on their lips. Taehyung's breath hitched as Jungkook closed his eyes, placing a gentle kiss on the cute boy in front of him. At first there was no reaction, but slowly Taehyung had returned the kiss.

 

"What does this mean?" Taehyung asked once they pulled away, his big eyes staring curiously into Jungkook's.

"I like you." Jungkook replied, a pink glow slowly appearing on his cheeks. "I came to school at 6:30 just to see you."

"And?" Taehyung asked, wanting to know Jungkook's intentions.

Jungkook not was turning a dark shade of red. "Umm... I don't know... I was hoping we could b-become friends and get to know each other or something first... but friends don't kiss friends." He mumbled.

"And?" Taehyung pressed on.

"And..." Jungkook ran his hands through his hair embarrassed. "Do you want to go out me?"

 

Taehyung gave his signature boxy smile. He kissed the red boy on the nose.

 

"I thought you were hot when I first saw you in my class." Taehyung confessed. "I thought you were cute when you were struggling with your homework. I thought you were scary when you pulled me out of class. And I thought you were adorable when you were turning red with embarrassment when you were asking me out. I would definitely love to go out you."

 

Jungkook let out a sigh of relief followed by a small chuckle. He couldn't believe how nervous he was and how Taehyung had liked him back.

 

"You know,” Taehyung looked down at Jungkook's cute smile. "I love your cute bunny smile. You should always keep smiling."

"You too." Jungkook leaned in for a second kiss.