Welcome to Byeol University pt. 2

Behind the Script

" Haah~ finally. " Ji Hyo sighed in relieve. Glad that she had finally found a place to eat. The cafetaria was fully occupied, there was no single available seat for her, so she decided to eat outside. After looking around, she ended up sitting under a tree at the school garden. The place was desserted, perfect. Opening the package, she immediately could smell the sweet flavour of her jjangmyeon. Not wanting to waste anymore time, she took her chopsticks and started eating. As she ate, she remembered the scene in the cafetaria just a moment ago. The tall man who she met there was very funny. At first, she thought he was on the same semester as her, but surprisingly he was one year younger than ber. Maybe it was because of his giraffe-like height that made her think he was younger. Anyway, the thing that made her laughed was when he ordered his food. It seemed, the goddess of luck wasn't on his side that time. He had ordered a jjangmyeon, same like her, unfortunately the menu was sold out. The same thing happened when he wanted to order the same drink as her, it was sold out too. Ji Hyo was torn between wanting to pity for his bad luck or be amaze with her own luck. The man, Kwang Soo, had wanted to eat with her, but his friends came and invited him to join them. So that left her here under the tree, eating the last package of jjangmyeon peacefully. Or so she thought it would be.

" Ahh.. I thought I would never get away from those girls..  " a voice could be heard from behind her. By the sound of it, it was a man. The rustle sound of the grass told her that she wouldn't get her peaceful lunch anytime now. It was funny that he haven't notice her figure right on the other side of the tree that he leaned on too. Maybe she could still get her peaceful lunch if she eat quietly? 

" Hm? " she heard him sniffed a couple of times. "Why do I smell Jjangmyeon here? " There goes her only hope.. So much for a peaceful lunch. 

Just when she thought about that, the man turned around and finally saw her. Now Ji Hyo could see who was the man who disturbed her lunch time.

" Oh! " the man exclaimed in surprise. A pretty man with the flawless face she had ever seen. No really, there wasn't any pimple or blemish on his skin. Ji Hyo almost thought he was actually a girl if it wasn't for the obvious adam apple of his. 

" Ommo~ " she said to herself as she kept looking at the fine man's face in front of her. Not realizing that they had been looking at each other for a whole minute. That was until he reverted his gaze to the side and coughed nervously, making Ji Hyo back to her conscious. 

" Ah, mianhae. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. " she quickly apologized, feeling slightly embarrassed that she let herself mesmerized by his face in a shameful manner. 

" It's okay. I was just surprised to see someone else here. " the man said which Ji Hyo suspected was a lie. She did make him uncomfortable after all. 

" Sorry, I could just leave.. " she said as she repack her jjangmyeon and stood up. " Bye— " she was about to leave when a hand grabbed hers, stopping her from walking away. 

" No, you should stay here. You were the one who came here first, so if anything, I should be the one who leave. " 

" Why don't we just stay here but eat individually? Like, just forget you ever see me here. " Ji Hyo advised while letting go of his grip. Dismissing the thought of how smooth his hand was. 

" Or we could eat together? " He advised differently instead. Ji Hyo went blank for a minute, thinking how she could handle the situation. A strange pretty boy just asked her to have a lunch with him. Should she accept it? 

" But if you don't want to, it's quite alright too. " Ji Hyo shook her head internally. How foolish was she. Whether the person was pretty or not, it didn't make any difference to her. This man was just like any other man. She shouldn't have got excited just because of his face. That was so unlike her! 

" Let's eat together. " she finally gave her answer as she sat beside him. 

" Great! My name is Song Joong Ki, nice to meet you. " he introduced himself with a charming smile. 

" I'm Song Ji Hyo. Nice to meet you too. " she replied with the same friendly smile she had shown to Haha and Kwangsoo. Maybe this guy could be her friend too? 

 

 

Lunch with Joong Ki was soon over as the bell rang. Indicating that they should be in their classes soon. Ji Hyo was walking toward her next class with a full stomach. Not only she had eaten her jjangmyeon, but also got to eat Joong Ki's burger too. And no, she didn't ask for it. The man simply offered it and she gladly accepted. I mean, who would ever refuse an offer of delicious burger? For thanking him, she also let him taste her jjangmyeon, which he politely declined. Well, more for her~

The trip to her next class was short, which she was thankful for. With her full stomach, she didn't think she could handle a trip like when she went to the gym before. Entering the class, she found that the class was already crowded by students. After looking around, she decided to sit on the front line, because it was the only line that has the remaining available seats. Everyone seemed to prefer the rear end spot of the class. She didn't know why. 

Minutes later, the teacher came and started the lesson. Only then Ji Hyo found out the reason why everyone chose the seats at the back of the class. The teacher was a killer. With her sharp cold eyes, she could really kill someone just by looking at them. It was a very tense class, Ji Hyo couldn't even look directly to the teacher's eyes without quickly turn her eyes immediately. She thought it would be best if she don't do anything that could bother the killer teacher. Her classmates seemed to think the same thing. Little do they know that someone was about to walk in a second later.

" I'm sorry, I'm late! " a man suddenly appeared. He was panting rather hardly, but strangely Ji Hyo didn't see any bead of sweat on him. 

" Gary-shii! " The teacher instantly sprung from her seat. A rather nasty angry expression on her face. "This is the tenth time! I ca— "

" I.. I was at my... studio. It was a very.. important meeting with my.. agency! I ran all the way here! Please pardon me, gyosunim! " the man said between panting. Again, Ji Hyo thought it was an act. Her own sharp eyes that had been trained by watching all those dramas could tell whether something is an act or real. The teacher looked like she was considering her decision. 

" Please, Ms. Kim! I need this for my future career! " he begged with a pained expression. 

' Fool.. the time he stepped inside this class knowing he's late is a mistake. He will definitely get a severe punishment. ' Ji Hyo thought to herself. 

" Well.. " anytime now she will let go the ultimatum. " .. make a review on today's class and hand it over to me tomorrow! No more tardiness! Now sit down!" the said man then took a seat, which coincidentally  beside her. But that wasn't what made Ji Hyo surprised. 

'That's it??' Ji Hyo wondered increduously. She imagined he would get even more harder punishment than that! Did she judge this teacher wrongly? 

She turned her face to the man beside him and saw him smirking behind his book. It was really an act! She knew it! 

" You lied, didn't you? " she whispered to him.

" You knew? " surprised that a stranger saw through his lie. 

" It was so obvious. I'm surprised that she would buy that. " the man smirked. 

" Heh, you're new here I assume? " he asked her out of nowhere. 

" Umm.. yeah? I just got in today. " 

" That explains why. Let me tell you a little secret. " he whispered before he let himself slid closer to her, much to Ji Hyo's dismay. She just met him not ten minutes ago and he already got the guts to be this close to her? No way. As he grew closer and closer, Ji Hyo slid away from him little by little too. He seemed to notice her antic as he smirked once again when she stopped. 

" You see, this teacher has a weakness. " he began to share his so called 'secret'. " And that is, she's a er to someone who she thought would have a bright future. Like a prodigy or something. " 

" So you think of yourself as someone like that? " Ji Hyo asked, amazed that the man beside her could be so confident as to call himself a prodigy. 

" I'm not saying that, but just try to remember how she acted after I mentioned I was in a meeting with my agency. " he whispered softly, acting like he was reading the book in front of him. Which, Ji Hyo noticed, wasn't the book for her current subject. 

" What do you – " unfortunately she couldn't ask him what he meant by that as her words were cut off by a sudden shout. 

" You!! If you dare to open your mouth one more time, I'll make sure you would taste a real punishment you wouldn't even dreamed of!! " the teacher scolded as she pointed her bony finger at her. 

" Y-yes, miss! Joesonghamnida! " Ji Hyo quickly moved her eyes to her book and had not utter a single word since. She did heard a low chuckle from the man beside her though. 

 

 

At last her first day at her new university has finally over. Ji Hyo was gathering her books when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked up and found the face of the man who had been the reason why she got shouted today. 

" What? " she asked cooly, continuing her task.

" Ooh~ so cold. Look, I just want to say sorry for what happened. You shouldn't have got shouted like that if I kept my mouth shut. " He seemed genuine enough, but Ji Hyo couldn't be so sure. This was the man who casually lied to a teacher and got away easily after all. She sighed. 

" It's okay. It was actually my fault to start the conversation anyway. You don't have to apologize." 

" So.. we're cool now? " he asked as he fixed his cap.

" I guess.. " she didn't know what he meant by cool. Was that mean they are okay to each others now or was it a statement that said they are friends now? 

" Cool! My name's Kang Gary! " by the way he introduced himself, it seemed the latter was the right answer. 

" Ah, my name's Song Ji Hyo. " 

" Nice to see a pretty girl like you here. At least this class won't get boring anymore! " Ji Hyo was surprised by the sudden compliment that she was lost at words. She never thought the man who laughed at her when she got shouted complimented her now. As she went blank, Gary looked at her watch and let go an audible surprise. 

" Oh! Gotta go now! I got a music to make with my agency soon! Catch you later, Ji Hyo! " when Ji Hyo 'woke up', she realized that the man was no longer there. She did heard what he said before he left though.

So he wasn't kidding about this 'career' of his? The thought played around her mind as she walked though the hallways. 

 

 

It was 4 pm when Ji Hyo out of her last class. It was pretty early and she didn't think she want to go home that soon. She was tired, yes—very, but she still haven't got to complete her number one mission! 

Her dream! Her drama! The theatre club

The young woman couldn't belive that she would forget about her sole mission. Maybe it because she encountered many interesting things—or people and had been busy the whole day. But that didn't give her the excuse to give up on her mission and do it tomorrow. She remembered what her father would always say. 

" Never back away from an oppurtunity if it stands right in front of you! Face it, seize it! Tomorrow is a different day! " and thus she made up her mind and started hunting for the theatre club. She had been searching for the said club for almost a half an hour and was exhausted, but her determination was stronger enough to ignore that. Then like a miracle, she found a school map on a wall. Not wanting to waste another time, she speed up her pace. 

She could see the club room now! The label was plastered on the two sided doors clearly. With an excited feeling and a thunderous heartbeats, she pushed open the door. 

" Excuse me!! " 

She was panting when she entered the room. The room was larger than she thougt it would be. Its size could even compete to the gym's size she visitted before. The walls was painted light yellow. There were mirrors stucked on the walls on the right side, reminding her of her ballet class when she was younger. She could see a speaker and some wardrobes on the side. There were two doors that she thought could lead to where the members would put their things or to the restrooms. Some couches, tables and chairs even a kitchenette was there too! The room was  more than what she imagined it to be, but.. 

there was no one there. The place lacked of its people. 

" No.. " she muttered dejectedly to the empty room. She thought she would get to join the club today and could start the practice soon, but she guessed she would have to come again tomorrow. 

'Today had been such an unproductive day... ' she said in her mind. 

With a sigh, Ji Hyo was going to leave when she came up with an idea. Maybe it could be a productive day... She turned back at the mirrors behind her and looked at her reflection. A smile spreaded on her pretty face. Dropping her bag to the floor, she walked closer to the mirror and started playing a drama by herself. She tried to remember the script she had memorized when she was in high school. Luckily she did. 

" Oh romeo.. " Like any basic school play would choose, of course they had chosen the famous Romeo and Juliet. And much to her delight, her drama teacher had choss her to be the lead heroine. She was so honored and very happy that time. 

Walking toward the kitchen counters, she stood beside one and leaned to it. Imagining it as the balcony where the actual Juliet stood at. 

" O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? 
 Deny thy father and refuse thy name. Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer be a Capulet. "
she said smoothly as she leaned her cheek upon her hand. Trying to really feel what Juliet felt when the woman said this. Her teacher used to tell her that though her acting skill was great, she lacked of feelings. Ji Hyo had tried to understand Juliet more, but she didn't know why she still couldn't get it. Was it because she lacked of romantic experience? As she kept pondering the question, she missed the fact that someone was leaning on the wall and was watching her performance the whole time. That was until the person spoke. 

" See how she leans her cheek upon her hand! 
O that I were a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek! "
he suddenly recited one of Romeo's lines to her, letting her know of his existence. Oh she was surprise alright. She almost fell to the floor as the arm that supported her cheek slid on the slippery surface of the counter. Luckily she acted fast and steadied her body quickly. 

" W-who are you?? " she asked to the man with widened eyes. The man—who seemed older, then approached her with a smile that looked friendly but also spoke out business too. 

" My name is Yoo Jae Suk. I'm one of the instructors in this club. " 

" I-Instructor?? " she couldn't believe it. This man was her instructor? Ji Hyo mentally slapped her forehead. How foolish was she to use the club room leisurely, thinking that no one was here without checking the place throughoutly. 

'Did he saw my performance? God, what if he watched the whole time? What if he found that my acting was bad??' the last thought terrified her. 

" Yes. I saw what you did here, Miss.. "

" Song Ji Hyo, sir. I'm so sorry I barged in and playing around here without a permission... please forgive me! " she would be doomed if the man in front of her got mad. She would never got to join the club then! The horror

" It's quite alright, Ji Hyo-shii. I was actually enjoying your performance rather than angry at you. " he said, much to her surprise. 

" You were? " 

" Yeah. It was really interesting how you were able to play alone yet still managed to look good. It was hard to say those lines without the other party after all. "

" T-Thank you, sir! " did he just praised her? Her mood turned brightly then. She just got a compliment from a theatre club's instructor from a prestigious university, of course she had been overjoyed! It was like a boost to her motivation. If this keep going, she might as well got to enter the club sooner than she expected. Okay, that might sound too confident.. 

" Say, are you interested in joining this club? " 

Bingo! 

 

- To be continue.. 

 

a/n : The chapter is a bit longer this time, but it had to be done because I don't want to cut it into another part again. Well, now our Ji Hyo has finally met most of the running man members, except Suk Jin that is. The reason for that is because I want her to meet her potential love interest first. Don't worry, he will show up in the next chapter.  I don't know much, but I don't think people shipping Ji Hyo and Suk Jin romantically? Tell me what you think! Thank you so much for reading this story! I hope you liked it! ❤

 

-Naz