You Know You Like It

I Joined A Writing Club

Inspiration Song: Hand-Clap by Fitz and the Tantrums 

~~~~

"I can't believe you actually talked me into coming."

"As my maid of honor-"

"I'm pretty sure it's too early to be using that as an excuse," I argue. "You literally just got engaged last week-"

"Last month," she corrects, as I roll my eyes before pulling into a parking space. "And it still holds true, as my maid of honor you are recquired to help me set this wedding in motion. So, you literally have no choice!" 

I shake my head shutting off the car and pushing myself even farther into the driver's seat out of sheer protest. I glance over to Joanne, my best-friend since college and she bounces happily in the passenger-seat. Her bubble-gum blonde fountain of curls spraying in every direction on top of her head. Her large cornflower blue-eyes spread wide in excitement, and her plump pouty mouth pulled into a wide grin. 

"I'll say it again since you seem to be struggling," she chuckles. "You have no choice! I want my dream honeymoon!"

I groan out of frustration seeing her so happy at my expense. "I just don't understand why you and Leo, can't just choose a destination like normal people!"

"Because we're not like every other basic couple planning their wedding for the Fall of 2018," she sasses and I shake my head again starting to brood out the side window. "And this is a really fun way to decide."

"Laser-tag!" 

"Yes! It's the only fair way to settle this argument!"

"Which is a serious problem, if you ask me" I scoff. "It's immature and a complete waste of time...Like, we're not in college anymore. Hell, we're going to be-"

"Don't even say it," she hisses starting to cover her ears. "There are many things I can get used to hearing aloud...us turning thirty is not one of them."

"I swear, you don't hear yourself when you speak" I smile unable to stay upset. "But I still really don't wanna do this."

"Which is why this is perfect!" She squeals. "What better way to take out your frustrations?"

"How is that possible, when one of my biggest frustrations is guaranteed to be here!"

"Only because he really likes you," she stresses. 

"I love how you say that like it should make a difference."

"Forgive me for finding his fourth-grade flirting tactics mildly, charming."

"Exactly!" I blurt. "He's immature and utterly ridiculous. And his desperate need to cling to his adolescence is not only an annoying cry for attention, but highly pathetic as well."

Joanne sits extremely still, and when I turn my head to see her better she's got this weird expression across her face. Her nose flares a little trying to keep herself from really smiling, but she struggles as a smirk begins pulling at the edge of . 

"What," I snap.

She shrugs indifferently. "Nothing...I just didn't know you liked him as much as you do."

"Oh my goodness! Joanne!" I whine. "Have you not been listening?"

"I am listening," she grins. "And I'm hearing more than you're apparently willing to admit."

"UGH!"

"It's okay that you do," she adds as I'm unbuckling myself in order to get out of the car. 

"Hurry up and get out so I can win this and go home."

"In fact I've been secretly shipping this for months," she says following me out. 

"Impossible," I say locking the car after she shuts her door. "It's a known rule that before a ship can set sail, both parties must have some nudge of attraction towards each other. In the very least, chemistry."

"You you don't think you and Mason have that?"

"No! No. I don't," I answer subbornly turning around to face her and she gives me a look. 

She an eyebrow and I shake my head refusing to entertain another thought and we begin the trek across the parking lot. The large and familiar flashing sign for Hanna's Adult Arcade greets us both and I take in a deep breath getting myself in the zone. Our group of friends is hanging out by the equipment, starting to strap up. Peter, Kevin and Andrew are all standing with Lori, Rita and Grace talking to Leo; who looks like he's prepared more for battle than a game of laser tag. 

"You're pushin' it Jo..." he taunts adjusting his holster. "Any longer would've been a forfeit."

"I wouldn't give you the satisfaction," I snark feeling an arm slink around my waist to pull me close. 

"What about me?" He says allowing his breath to tickle my neck and I jab him hard in his gut. "I guess the jury is still out on decision?" He grunts and I walk away to get my gear. 

"It's your own damn fault," Lori laughs, arching her back while somehow raking her scarlet hair into a ponytail. Her signature move before starting to really flirt. "You should set your sights on someone who will actually enjoy your advances."

"Nothing worth having was ever obtained easily," he replies smoothly and I surpress the urge to gag as Joanne releases a hopeful-sigh. 

"Can we just start this already," I say starting to strap up. "I've got stuff to do."

"You know I thought we agreed never to use our code-names in public," Mason teases and I twist my mouth fighting a smile because he caught me off-guard, but it's too late he's already seen it. 

I watch him the corner of his mouth before biting his oversized lips, and he smirks turning his back to join Leo over in a corner. I make the mistake of looking over at Joanne and she's staring at me like she's about to combust. 

"Come-On! Come-On! Come-On!" She squeals bouncing over to me. "You can't tell me that-"

"Yes I can, and it's nothing!" I huff. "Now explain the rules, so we can hurry up and be done."

"Fine!" She groans. "The rules are simple. Follow the house rules, and don't get tagged. The person with the highest score-"

"Bull!" Leo shouts. "Zoe always wins! And that's no fair since she's on your team."

"As my maid of honor, she's in within her rights to fight for my honor" Joanne smirks. "I can't help it that she's the best player out of all of us."

"It's still not fair," he argues. "We should do teams."

"Dude, that's boring" Mason scolds. "Besides, she's not as good as everyone thinks."

"Excuse me?" I sass. "I know losing has never been your favorite thing to do, however by now you should be used to it."

"Like I said...She's not as good as she thinks," Mason snides. "Besides, putting us on a team will just make it easier for them to win. Both Peter and Kev are dead weight."

"We're standing right here," Kevin adds and Mason shrugs indifferently. 

"Just trust me on this," Mason says confidently and I smile already deciding on him as my first target. 

"But like, I really wanna go to Jamaica-"

"Dude, would you relax. I got this...As your best man, I literally got this," Mason pats his shorter friend on the shoulder. 

Leo runs his hands through his ginger-hair, exhaling hard through his sculpted nose and taught mouth. 

"Christmas in Germany, here we come" Joanne says happily and Leo growls as we each start to disappear into the arena. 

I take in a deep breath and immediately begin to get myself in the proper mindset. Everyone makes the mistake of darting off into the room, standing in an open space waiting the for the game to start. Not me. We've played here so many times, I've got the space mapped out. I have five "sweet-spots" within the playing field, and each and every game I rotate where I start first. Each spot is perfect for remaining tucked out of sight from the action, but with ample space and coverage to openly shoot everyone else. It's perfect, because no one has been able to figure out my system. And we don't really play that often, so I'm the only one who really pays attention to where I start so it somehow still holds the element of surprise. I start at spot number four, a area tucked away in the balcony. I crouch low and get into position listening to the countdown, and this all starts to feel like Day-1 of the Hunger Games. 

When the game finally starts, I aim for Peter first because he's the first sitting duck I see and tag him out fairly quick. I count to ten slowly, and then shoot him again and he shouts in frustration not understanding where he's being hit. Kevin bumbles in, and I rack most of my points bouncing between the both of them during "downtime". While they're busy arguing, I switch to the next spot getting hit only twice before ducking away to spot number five. The game is actually going pretty well, especially for me and as I move from spot to spot. It isn't until I make it to the final spot, spot number three, a tight crevice of a corner shielded by a neon brick wall...trouble finds me.

"See..." Mason smiles blocking my exit. "I told you, you're not as good as you think...just smarter."

I shoot his sensor, enjoying it a bit more than I should and he grins even wider. 

"Ten seconds," he says mischeviously and I narrow my eyes a bit confused. "Plenty of time."

"For what?" I say preparing to shoot him again and he lunges himself into me so our lips can collide. 

I inhale deeply feeling his rhythm invite me to participate, but before I can even really understand what's happening my sensor changes  to green letting us know I'm back in the game. 

"Wh-What in the-"

He shoots me again, forcing my colors to change to red. And the entire time he's pulling me in in order to kiss me again, he's smiling.  

I open my mouth weakly attempting to protest, and his tongue swipes against mine eliciting a moan. The audible sound is enough to snap me back into reality, and I manuver myself to break the contact. I stare at him speechless and surprised, wondering if I really just let him kiss me. And as the seconds pass and my color changes, he shoots me again giving me time to figure out how I'm going to respond. 

He stares at me a bit shy, but not in the way to let me know that he's sorry. No, in fact I can tell that he's really pleased with himself...

But he's also nervous. Like really nervous. And not because he expects me to yell or scream in anger, but I can tell that he's afraid he's going to get hurt because I don't feel the same way. 

And up until a minute ago, he would've been right...

But now?

My sensor flashes green and he waits, almost wincing and I literally wait five more seconds before shooting his sensor. 

He scoffs rolling his head to the side, the corner of his mouth before craning his head towards the cieling in amused-indifference.  

"Well, no one can say I didn't try, right?" He says with a shrug, beginning to back away and I grip the front of his shirt to pull him back. 

I kiss him deep, allowing the part of me urging for this to continue to take over. I hard on his beautifully plump lips, that feel squishy and plush contrasting against the sensual tug from my teeth. I pull him hard onto me, almost daring him to escape pushing my mouth deeper and deeper into his...all the while totally aware of the "downtime".

I doubt if he even realizes how many times I shoot him, in order to keep him from continuing to play. And I know he doesn't care when his gun slips from his hands in order to press me even further into the wall. His hands bring mine down in order to lace our fingertips together, and I can't help but laugh as his lips move further and further away from my mine. Slowly and perfectly inching themselves towards my ears, and down my neck. 

I can't help but moan and gripe from his technique...the boy definitely knows what he's doing. And he's so concentrated on me, he doesn't even realize that I'm still using him as target practice to rack up my score. 

"I've waited ages to kiss you like that," he breathes smiling full on, and I duck down a little lower only slighty embarrassed. 

"...The game's probably over," I add inching away from him, as he laughs clearly in a happy mood. "I, wonder who won?"

"Seriously?" He grins. "That's what you wanna talk about?"

I purse my lips and scratch my head, beginning to take off the sensors and we walk towards the exit. And as usual, my player-name is flashing in victory across the monitors. As soon as he looks at me allowing his face hardens...

"Did you really just use me to win?" He begs sounding entirely hurt and I sigh. 

"She wanted the trip!" I say starting to panic, because we're apparently doing this in front of everyone. "Besides, you kissed me! Okay? You started that whole thing."

"I kissed you, hoping you would finally realize that I'm serious about pursuing something real with you!"

"As opposed to everyone else you come onto?" I say sarcastically. "Face it, Mason. Everything you say is a joke-"

"Not you," he explains. "You are the only thing, I was probably ever truly serious about."

"Oh, so you're saying you're not now?" I hiss sounding offended. 

"Well, I don't know. Seeing as how in a moment of true passion, all you can seem to focus on is winning!" He barks. 

"O...K..." Joanne says trying to die down the fire. "Who wants pizza-"

"Are serious right now?" I challenge. "I'm focused on winning? In order to ambush me, you must've been studying my battle-plans for months!"

"BECAUSE I LIKE YOU, YOU NITWIT!!!!" He roars and my jaw drops. "Of course I'm going to stalk your every move."

"Whoa," everyone else says and he begins shaking his head and waving his arms trying to correct himself.

"Not in a creepy, way. Like, I'm not sitting outside your house...most days.."

"Dude," Peter scolds. 

"Not. Like, that..." Mason tries again before getting back to me. "You're all I've been able to think about-"

"Oh my goodness!" I groan entirely frustrated. "I can't believe you're actually trying to make me feel bad right now!"

"Did I say you should feel bad?" He mocks switching up his tone. "Huh..Maybe it's the guilt!"

"YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE!" I bellow. "How am I supposed to put any weight to what you say, when you act so immature?!"

"Because, Ray Charles could see that I couldn't love you more if I tried!!!" He yells completely frustrated, and he's so worked up I have no choice but to believe him. 

"We're...gonna give you guys a minute," Leo says ushering everyone outside the lobby. 

"...You love me?" I repeat entirely skeptical. 

He exhales even harder, shoving his hands awkwardly into his pocket.

"And, you're serious?" I clarify and he kisses his teeth. "Look, I'm just trying to understand."

"Yes. I'm in love with you," he confesses putting his cards on the table. "And even if you never feel the same way, that's okay. Because I just want you happy...but you always seem to pick the wrong guys. Ones that constantly treat you like , and that's the absolute least you deserve...because, I truly believe you're wonderful."

I blink a little, beginning to stare at him differently. 

"And I don't mean to sound so upset, it's just that I can't believe I messed up so badly."

"Messed up, how? You're barely making any sense," I admit trying to gain some understanding. 

"That's exactly my point," he smiles tiredly before dragging a hand down his face. "I'm the last person who ever wanted to play games with you..I never wanted there to be any doubt between us. I thought I had made it clear how I felt...But hearing you now, I get it."

I open my mouth, wanting to say something smart but literally having nothing. So he just continues to talk. 

"I know I pick on you, but...Messing around with you. Making jokes, was my way of trying to get you to smile...like really smile. Because you're always telling people you're alright, but I can tell that you're not...You just don't want to feel like a burden to anyone...And I know you're not used to someone being there for you, or taking care of you because you're always worried about someone else..." he explains. "But I wanted to be the guy to do that for you."

A sudden and strong whoosh rushes inside of me, and I expel the last breath I had been holding all the while recieving a chill. 

"...But like I said...I get it...And I'm sorry."

"For?"

"Ambushing you, as you so lightly put it...It just seemed like the perfect opportunity...And it was," he smiles allowing his eyes to turn soft. He shakes his head, removing himself from the memory. "It won't, happen again."

He puts his gear on the counter, beginning to awkwardly exit and something pangs in my chest letting me know I don't want him to go. 

"Why couldn't you have just said all of that in the first place?" I call after him and he stops cold, turning around to look back at me. 

"It would've worked?" He asks in disbelief.

I wait a moment or two before nodding and shrugging. "...Yeah..." I smile, feeling it starting to grow. "I mean...Maybe..." I say trying to play it cool and his face brightens into a bigger smile. 

"...Maybe?" He grins walking towards me and I shrug. 

"Yeah, maybe" I sniffle trying to wipe away my smile. "No promises, though."

He the corner of his mouth again before reaching up to hold my face. I stare into his dark-brown eyes, totally inviting him in this time. And when he kisses me this time, it legit feels like a firework has exploded within my lips. 

"...Still no promises?" He whispers in a triumphant tone, allowing his nose to trail the side of my cheek.

"Not a single one..." I smile before leaning up to kiss him again. 

~~~~

so yeah, i'll be adding in my own prompts as well. i found a few good ones on pinterest. 

thanks for reading.

P.S: I'm on bit of a Seungho kick...not sure why, but I'm going with it. Hopefully posting W-2's update for the Writing Club really soon. 

<3