W1-PROMPT: "I LIKE YOU/YOU LIKE ME"

I Joined A Writing Club

PROMPT: "I LIKE YOU, YOU LIKE ME"

Song Required To Use For Inspiration: Sweet-Heart by Seenroot

~~~~~

"Hey, Ange?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you bring out three more bags of the Colombian, on your way back?"

"Yeah, sure" I yawn scooping the bags off the shelf. "Anything else?"

"Just another container of half-n-half-"

"Okay."

"And a 5lbs-bag of sugar," Uncle Joe adds in his deep voice. "Oh, and-"

"If you add anything else, I'm going to need a shopping cart" I joke before he tells me to add another box of napkins, and I set everything down before trying to decide how to carry it all.

I roll my eyes while shaking my head, already deciding on making two trips. I gather the items in my arms, beginning to exit the storage-closet in order to walk through the kitchen where I pass Joe. He's a friendly man with a stocky-build. Mid-to-Late forties with a full head of salt and pepper hair. Dark olive skin, and happy-green eyes and a go-lucky smile to match as he positions pastries on a tray. I walk through to the front-counter past Lana, Joe's seventeen-year old daughter as she's humming along to Somebody Else by The 1975. She shares his dark-olive skin and Italian-features. Mystical green eyes and dark raven hair kept in two long braids down her back. Slender, shapely and tall with a beautiful face and natural lips Kylie Jenner would kill for.

"I swear, I don't know what I'd do without you girls...Especially you, Angie. Sacrificing another Saturday just to help me out-"

"You say it like I'm not getting paid," she teases setting the items on the back-counter. "Besides...we're partners," I say surpressing the urge to get emotional. "And helping you keep this shop open, is something my parents would've wanted." 

A solid beat goes by as I feel their eyes fall on me. 

It's been a solid six months since the accident, and I refuse to let the reminder ruin today. Today is supposed to be a happy-day. The re-opening of my mother's dream along with my father and his best friend, Jonas Foster. A classic and quaint bistro-café tucked in tight within our piece of Jersey City, filled with nothing but our family's recipes and concoctions that were sure to have people raving. My mother doing what she loved most, all because of one man who wanted nothing more than to make her happy, with his best friend who just along for the ride. They sacrificed everything for this dream...

So there was absoultely no way I could let it die.

"Even so, working full-time here and taking night classes-"

"Someone has to understand my dad's business plan. Not to mention, increase our foot-traffic and eventually look to expand," I answer taking in a deep breath re-focusing on the importance of today.

"I see someone is getting a headstart on studying for their finals," Lana snarks refilling the napkin dispenser. 

"Studying? I'm impressed you even understand the concept, seeing as how you couldn't pass a standardized test in the passenger seat of a race-car."

"That took you so long to even say, I doubt if it even counts" she scoffs making a face. "Not that it makes a difference, I literally fall asleep everytime you open your mouth."

"Is it because your brain is so tired of keeping up with my wit?"

She pauses a minute to look back at her father, before narrowing her eyes at me again. "I rest my case...You're so uncool."

"Uncool? Whoa-ho! I didn't know we stepped back into the 80s," I taunt as she rolls her eyes to gather more supplies from the back. "But the jokes on you. I didn't want to sit at the cool-kids-table anyway!"

"You're a weirdo!" Lana laughs forcing me to do the same and Uncle Joe sighs silently apologizing. 

"I'll talk to her, alright?"

"Don't," I reply. "She's the only one who doesn't treat me differently."

The look in his eyes changes and I shake my head deciding to get back to work. 

The day starts slow, with only a few stragglers popping into the shop. At first I'm nervous and I'm starting to think that we've been closed for too long, but by lunch-time it's like everything snaps back to how it was before. I'm bussing tables and waiting on customers, offering smiles and accepting condolences all the while servicing my parents dream. And for a few seconds, it feels like nothing's changed. Like they're in the back office or the kitchen, and I'm out-here helping them out on a Saturday like I've done since they opened.

Even when the rush fades into serenity, and he walks in...my stomach flutters from the butterflies just like before. 

I nibble my bottom lip, and turn slightly to finish clearing off another table but still somehow entirely aware of where he is. It's a cool Spring day, and he shrugs out of his navy coat before smoothly hanging it on the back of his chair. I nod a little to myself realizing that he's planning on staying for a while. He's wearing a dark brown slouchy-hat, and a fitted black t-shirt to outline his slightly muscular frame. He isn't too tall or massively built, but I tell you he is the definition of swag. Every step and breath that man exudes is drenched with confidence, and for the life of me I don't understand how one person is allowed to be that...exceptional. He's got an elfish face, but not like he belongs at the North Pole as Santa's helper. I mean, like Lord of the Rings. Long, elegant and angular features that seem to just whisp and extend for days and days. Warm tan skin, and dark hooded eyes that disappear whenever he allows himself to really laugh. Any other time he tries to appear serious and meditative. But on those rare occassions when I used to catch him watching some sort of Asian-Variety show, he laughs so hard he can barely breathe. And it's adorable. 

He walks up to the front counter ready to place his order, and I place my bin of dirty dishes near the cart for the washroom before starting to prepare his order. 

One large, hot, black tea infused with ginger and lemon; and a pecan roll. 

Before he can finish telling Lana what he wants, I'm placing the tray on the counter.

"It co-comes to $7.35," I say reaching under to grab him napkins and a fork.  

I feel his eyes shift to me, and I exhale slowly before gaining the courage to look in his eyes. The expression narrowed and somewhat confused. I wince slightly, unable to show him a friendly smile and he scoffs before handing me the money. I tap it into the kiosk as quickly as possible in order to give him his change. But he just stands there continuing to watch me. We stand watching each other for thirty seconds, until I refuse to allow this awkward moment to continue by forcefully taking his tray and placing it at his table.

It literally has no effect, because by the time I come back he's still watching me with a questionable-look. I glance over to Lana who's practically gnawing her lips off trying not to bust out in laughter, and I roll my eyes before retreating to the bathroom. 

I lock the door allowing myself a quick minute to pull myself together. I wet a paper towel and apply it to my face, allowing the coolness to press against my already flushed skin. I swear I'm so thankful of my warm-mocha skin making it impossible to blush. I blink a few times noticing the wild flyaways from my bun, before taking it down to shake out my 4-C twist-out. I tug and stretch the onyx coils creating a style, trying to make myself seem unaffected before heading back out. And as I take a deep breath, I vow not to look over at his table...

But totally fail before I get to the kitchen. I pause a little too long at the door, getting caught up at how gracefully he drinks his coffee and his eyes scan across the rim of his cup to see me. I legit jump and walk into the frame of the door, feeling another rush of shame coerce my brain. I duck in the kitchen and refuse to come out, deciding that Lana can handle the front as business begins to pick up. 

A few hours later when the busy-nature of the café slows again, Lana clocks out signaling the end of her shift. 

"FREEDOM!!!" She exclaims bursting in the kitchen. "I swear, I thought it'd never stop. Especially after you just left me out there to face it all...Where's my dad?"

"He had to run-off. Something came up regarding one of our deliveries, and I had to run the kitchen" I say wiping off the counters. "So you see? You can't be upset at me for hiding in here."

"Whatever," she scoffs. "But the egg is literally on your face...He's still here."

"Who's still here?"

She smiles devilishly taking down her coat and purse from the side-hook in the back. "Would you look at that? It's my time to go."

"Lana," I threaten. 

"And there's a customer out front ready to place his order."

"Lana," I growl as she tosses me a bigger smile and prances through the swinging door.

"B-yeeeeeeeeeee" she sings scooting out from behind the counter. 

I groan giving myself a face-palm, and walk out front to see a guy squinting up at the menu overhead. "Hi. Can I help you?"

His eyes fall down to me, and he frowns a little surprised before giving me a huge smile. "I hope so," he chuckles and I give him a look. "I-I mean, maybe you could help me decide on what to order."

"Oh," I nod. "Well, it's all pretty-good...If you're into baked goods we've got a good selection. Or if you want something heartier, we have some appetizers and small-pan options."

"Actually, the baked mac-n-cheese sounds great."

"Okay," I say typing it in and giving him his total. "Give me about ten minutes or so, and I'll bring it out to you."

"Okay. Thanks," he says smiles again before becoming shy and taking out his wallet. "Sorry for being so difficult. I know I can take a long time."

"It's not that serious," I smile taking the money. "Besides, it's not like we're really busy at the moment."

"Well, if this mac-n-cheese is as good as it sounds, l hope to change that," he says placing a ten into the tip-jar. "I'm scoping out new-locations for the next review on my blog."

I look at him a little weird before telling him he can take a seat. He nods choosing a table on the same side as My-Guy, and I grunt knowing that I'll have to pass him. 

I'm able to whip up his order rather quickly, especially seeing as how this recipe is one that I could recreate in my sleep. My mom remixed her original-recipe just for me, knowing that I prefer my cheese-sauce to be creamy and hot as opposed to when it sets. She added in my favorite veggie, green peas; along with huge chunks of apple-wood-smoked bacon and a mix of my favorite cheeses and home-made panko-bread-crumbs. "Angie's-Mac", she called it. I serve it in a mini-skillet before adding the final layer of cheese and popping it the oven so it can melt and brown. It's perfect and sizzling when I take it out, and I add a sprinkle of fresh-thyme before placing it on a tray and bringing it out to the customer. 

He's sitting comfortably, playing with his phone and I'm able to check him out more closely. He's got a large build, round face with deep dimples that sort of remind me of a clean shaven Paul Bunyan. He's got caramel-blonde hair kept in a man-bun and a smile that resembles that scene in Thor when Darcy asks Thor to smile after eating pancakes. 

"That was really quick," he compliments and I smile setting it down. 

"Be careful it's hot," I warn him and he nods taking out his wallet again. "Sorry, I should've asked before but could I get a water and a rasberry tea?"

"Yeah, sure," I say disappearing to go get it, and coming right back. "Here you are..."

"Great," he smiles kicking out the chair across from him. "Now, sit."

"...Excuse me?" I say unable to keep a straight face. 

"Word around the café, is that rasberry-tea is your favorite. And I would love for you to sit with me, so we could discuss the reasons why," he flirts easily. "Besides, I'm pretty sure it isn't healthy to eat alone."

"Something tells me, you don't have trouble in that area."

"Only when the beautiful girl is also stubborn," he jokes and I laugh finding it funny. 

"I can't...I've got work to do," I say pushing the chair back in and he sighs disappointed. 

"What time do you get off?" He asks refusing to drop the conversation. "I'm serious, you seem like you need a pick-me-up. And I know this great place, with a great vibe. Perfect for conversation..."

"What makes you think I'd say yes? I don't know you."

"No, but you like me," he smiles confidently beginning to eat. 

"My-My aren't you bold," I scoff preparing to walk away, and he grabs my hand. 

"Baby, bold is just the beginning" he promises and I full on laugh untangling myself. "Come on, you're already smiling."

I take in a deep breath, and agree and he begins planning our night until he ends up getting a call forcing him to leave. We pick a place to meet not far from the shop after I close, and he promises not to be late. I clear away his dishes and dump them in the buss-bucket, and when I turn around My-Guy is giving me a strange looking while standing up to put on his coat. I wince a little watching him go and he scoffs before walking out of the shop. I release a deep sigh returning to work, and another hour or so later Uncle Joe comes back to help me close. 

"Thanks for covering for today," he adds checking the back area. "You did real good, kiddo."

"It's good practice for the future," I smile shrugging on my coat after we're done. "I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah. And you make sure you text me after you get home," he says putting his signature grey-ivy-cap on top of his head. "I want to know you got in safe."

"I will," I promise wrapping a scarf around my neck. "Later."

I walk outside the shop and cross the street before starting down the sidewalk in order to arrive at the meeting spot. With each block bringing me closer towards potential-romance, I find myself actually starting to become excited for this date. 

That is...until I see a different bodily outline than the one I'm expecting. 

He shifts his weight uneasily, jerking up the collar of his navy-blue coat; and I swallow hard suddenly becoming nervous. My feet keep walking in his direction, until I end up panicking and turning around abruptly to make a run for it and he calls my name. 

I freeze almost instantly, internally cursing myself and the fact that I'm caught before turning slowly around in order to face him. 

An unbearably long moment passes between us before he speaks. 

"I know you were scheduled to meet someone else," he begins. "But he's not coming..."

I frown a little accepting the information, and I nod casually attempting to hide my disappointment. "Oh...Okay..Is he-"

"Yeah!" My-Guy blurts a little fast. "He just wo-won't be able to-"

"And he asked you to tell me that?" I frown a little more confused. "I didn't know you two were-"

"We're not," he says even faster.

"Then how do you know he's not-"

"He..He's just, not gonna make it."

I feel my eyebrow doubting the information, and his nose flares while he bites his lip fighting a smile. 

"So...it's a nice night...Great for, taking walks and...such," he tries and my eyes narrow as my suspicions grow. 

"How do you know he's not coming?" I cross-question, refusing to let this go and he cranes his neck towards the sky. 

"Because, I gave him a false message and a different location," he admits and I glare even more. "And the poor bastard is probably waiting for you there."

"Why would you do that."

"Was that a question or a statement?" He tries to joke, but my face clearly shows him that I'm serious. "...Because."

"Because?" I hedge becoming upset. "You ruin my date, and all you're going to say is 'Because'?" 

"Because I didn't like seeing you with him," he sighs and it finally clicks in my head. 

I wrinkle my nose trying to hide the fact that I'm flattered. "...You, didn't?"

He smiles a little, exhaling even slower. "..No."

"Really?" I say beginning to find it funny.

"Yes! How many times do you want me to say it?" He chuckles frustrated.

"Until, I actually believe it," I grin feeling better. "I didn't think you cared enough to know my name, let alone sabotage-"

"Okay-Okay," he groans becoming embarrassed as I continue to give him a hard time. "Can we take this conversation someplace warm? Preferably with food?"

I don't answer him right away, enjoying the sight of his smooth and cool deamonor taking a back-seat as he waits for my answer...

"Maybe some other time-"

"Do you have plans, or...something?" He asks and I shake my head. 

"I'm just really tired...In fact I was going to tell that other guy the same thing."

"Well, can I at least walk you home?" He tries once more and I take in a deep breath feeling my heart flutter. 

"Yeah...I'd like that," I answer, turning in the direction of my apartment building. 

He surprises me by extending his arm, and I take it impressed that as he loops my arm around his he tucks me in closer. 

"Hm."

"Hm?" He repeats, before starting to laugh. "What does, 'Hm' mean?"

"It means, I wasn't expecting this" I smile and he nods. "...What's your name, by the way?"

"You mean you don't know?" He scoffs. "I thought you'd have seen it on my credit-card or something...But it's John."

"...Honestly, I'm too busy trying not to look like a total clutz in front of you so...I never really bothered to look," I confess and he laughs again. "Besides, it's really not necessary because I usually just refer to you as-"

"As, what?" He asks totally interested and I decide against telling him. "Oh, come on! You have to tell me!"

"No! I've already said to much! But I can't help it because whenever I get overly nervous, I start to ramble-"

"Which totally , by the way" he whines like it's a real inconvenience, and I clamp shut. It takes him two seconds to notice. "NO! Not the fact that you ramble! I actually find that part quite refreshing. I mean, I was afraid that you wouldn't really have anything substantial to say-"

"...Thank...You?"

He opens his mouth wide before shutting it, gathering his thoughts. "...What I mean is," he says exhaling before starting another sentence. "Is that I hate you get so nervous around me...It's one of the reasons why I felt like I had to do something tonight."

"Wait, seriously?" I question and he nods sighing once more. "Why? All I did was talk to another guy."

"Exactly! Something you've never been able to do with me, until tonight...With that other guy you were...coherent," he teases. "I mean, you're always funny and adorable, but it hurt my ego to see you actually capable of having a conversation with a grossly-attractive male. Especially when that grossly-attractive male wasn't me."

"You know, your overwhelming sense of humility is one of the many things I've come to love about you," I answer as sarcastically as possible and he smiles even bigger.

"Maybe someday in the very near future, you could list off the others," he says crossing his free arm to hold me in closer. "But in all seriousness, I was totally fine with you being shy and awkward with everyone else...But watching you with him, it just made it that much clearer that you're only ever like that with me...And if we were going to get anywhere, it was clear I was going to have to make a move."

I roll my eyes and groan listening to him analyze us. "Exactly how long have you been thinking about this?"

"Since before your parents' accident..."

I swallow, taken off-guard by the reminder. 

"...I wanted to, be there for you...somehow. But, I didn't know how because we weren't-"

I nod understanding, and I take in a deep breath and let it out even slower.

"...Hey, Ange?" He says a bit soft. "...I'm not trying to overwhelm you with my feelings, I swear I'm not-"

"John."

"It's just I like you a lot," he rushes. "But if you need time-"

"John."

"I can totally wait!" He says even faster. "But not in a creepy way! Just in a way, that offers you space and-"

"John..."

"Oh, . Now I'm starting to ramble. But it's just like you, it happens when I'm nervous and I can't shut up and-"

"JOHN!" I shout stepping in front of him.

I end up grabbing both sides of his face, bringing myself to him in order to meet his lips. And as soon as our skin touches, I feel him relax against me.

The kiss starts out light, with both of us just getting used to the feel of each other. And when I feel like it's enough of a kiss to snap him out of his tangent, I pull back gently. 

His eyes are still closed, and I smile a little seeing how sensitive he is. His lips are frozen in the same position as when we were connected, and not only is it cute but a little funny. 

"My-uh...building is-"

"Oh, is it?"

"Yeah," I smile releasing his face. "...Thanks for walking, me-me home."

"Of course..." he says finally shaking himself awake. "I-can-uh...do it again tomorrow, if you like?"

"I would," I smile stepping away from him. "I'll-uh...see you, t-tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," he promises backing away from the steps of my building with the biggest smile on his face. "Goodnight, Angela."

I don't wish him goodnight. It's too much of an understatment.

But as I climb the flights in order to get to my apartment, I can't help but feel...wonderful.