Chapter 1

Repeating the Past

Areum woke up suddenly.

That had to be the strangest dream ever.

She looked over at the bed next to her, empty. 

She shook her head as if to clear her mind.

She stood from the bed and made her way to the kitchen.

 

 

"Good morning Areum. " Hee-Yeon said as she handed Areum a cup of coffee. Hee-Yeon was Areum's roommate and best friends. They attended the same high school and decided to move in together when they started college.  

"Morning." She took the cup of coffee and set it on the counter. "I just had the weirdest dream."

"What was it about?" Hee-Yeon 

Areum shook her head "Nothing important, don't worry about it." Hee-Yeon wrinkled her nose, she finished packing her lunch. 

"I'll be leaving then. You're leaving soon aren't you" Areum shook her head. Hee-Yeon walked around the counter and planted a kiss on Areum's forehead. "See you after work." She grabbed her keys, she turned back and waved at Areum. 

Areum waved back. "Love you." 

 

 

 

Areum looked at herself in the mirror one last time, a car honked outside again. She hurriedly made her way down the stairs and out the door. 

"Take your time ma'am, we have all day." Taehyung, Areum's other best friend, shouted from the car.

"I'm going, I'm going!" She locked the front door and quickly got into the car. 

"Ready? Did you forget anything?" 

"Yes, I have everything." Areum buckled up. 

"OK, let's go!!"  Taehyung was Areum's childhood best friend and co-worker. He had followed her to college and know they worked in the same place.

"You ok Areum? You seem a bit distant." Taehyung looked at her slightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just" She hesitated. "I had a weird dream." Should she tell him?

 "Weird how?" Taehyung reached over and lowered the radio volume. 

"Well...Jaebum was in it and-"

"Jaebum? Don't start this again Areum." Taehyung let out a sigh. "Let's change jobs Areum. Ever since you saw him again, you speak about him so much and I'm honestly tired of him. When are you going to let this go." 

Areum sat quietly, regretting opening . 

"I don't mean to sound so harsh but it's been 4 years Areum." 

Jaebum was Areum's ex-boyfriend. They had dated in high school for about two years and things hadn't ended so well for them. He had cheated on her for most of their relationship. A whole scene was made from this and Taehyung even got involved. She hadn't spoken or seen him since, well not until he began working in the same company as them. When they saw each other he acted like nothing had happened between them and they were just old friends who had reunited. 

"Tae?"

"Yeah?" 

"Do you think things would be different if I had never broken up with him?" 

"What?" 

"Do you think I would still be happy if I was with him?'

"What's the point of that question Areum?"

"I don't know it just came to mind. Forget I asked." Areum asked herself these questions ever since he appeared in her life again. Deep down she still liked him, despite the years and what he had done to her.

 

 

 

Areum hadn't been able to fully concentrate today, her conversation with Taehyung had her thinking of the past and all she could have done differently. 

"Ms, Areum?" Areum snapped back after hearing her name. Manager Park stood next to her with a worried expression. "Are you ok Ms. Areum?"

"Ah, yes I just zoned out for a bit I'm sorry it won't happen again."  He started at her for a bit longer.

"Ok, well I need you to have the report finished by today." The report? she had completely forgotten about it. 

"The report, of course I will turn it in soon." Manager Park smiled at her.

"I knew I couldn't count on you. Ill bother you no longer." She gave him a bright smile and he left.

As soon as he was out of sight she began to madly type the report. 

Suddenly she felt someone tap her shoulder. She turned and saw Taehyung. He was handing her a folder. She took and looked at him puzzled. 

"What is this?" 

"Open it." With that, he pushed himself back to his desk. Their desks were across from each other and he would often slide over to check up on her.

She opened the folder, there was a paper and the first was had a handwritten message. 

 

Here is the complete report YOU should have typed but I am such a good friend I decide to help you out.

Turn it in before the deadline. Also get it together, you have been zoned out all day.

your buddy, Taehyung 

P.S. if you are thankful you can buy me food later.

 

Areum smiled. Taehyung really was the greatest friend. 

 

 

 

"Hurry!! I'm Hungry." Taehyung had been done with his work long ago and had been nagging Areum to hurry and finish. 

"Be quiet Tae, no one told you to be good at your job."  She was almost done. 

"I'm leaving." He grabbed his coat from that chair. 

"Ok, go ahead and leave, ill tell Hee-Yeon to come and get me." 

"Noo, just hurry up and finish." She angrily hit the enter key. The stood and shut the computer down. 

"You are a really big baby Taehyung." He gave her a smile. 

"I know." he teased

They left the company and headed out to eat. And of course, Areum was buying. 

 

 

"Did you really have to order so much?" Taehyung had ordered enough food to feed the whole company.

"Of course, who knows when you will buy me food again."  Areum took a sip of her tea. 

"Next time you buy I will order double the amount you did today." He made a face at her and continue to eat. 

"Here eat, it not like I am eating this all by myself." He pushed the plate of meat closer to her and a gesture for her to take some. 

"Hey guys, what a surprise." Areum and Taehyung looked up. 

Jaebum stood at their table, a smile plastered on his face. 

"I came here to eat with some friends, who knew I would run into you two." Taehyung swallowed his food. '

"Yes, quite a surprise. You were the last person we expected to see right Areum." Taheyung looked at her.

"Ah, yes what a surprise."

"Can I sit with you two while I wait on my friends."  Before they could answer Jaebum had already pulled out the chair and sat down.

"Yes, of course, take a seat oh wait you already did." Taehyung gave Jaebum the fakest smile. 

"Work was so slow today wasn't it?' 

"A bit, Areum was working hard all day so it must have gone by fast." Areum glared at Taehyung.

"It was a bit slow for me too." The situation was uncomfortable for all three of them.

Jaebum continued to talk about work and the project he was working on, Taehyung gave him short responses and continued to act like he was listening.  

Soon his friends arrived and he left.

"That guy really doesn't shut up." Taehyung was so fed up.

"He didn't even look at me once."

"What?" Taehyung looked up at her. 

"The whole time he was here, he didn't look at me or address me once." Jaebum had completely ignored her. Areum stood.

"Let's go Tae, I don't want to be here." She paid the bill and waited for Taehyung outside the restaurant.

"Hey, buddy are you ok?" He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm not Tae, I hate the fact that he acts as we had never met before. He acts as if everything will go away if he ignores me. I hate the fact that I had to see him again"

 

 

Areum lay in her bed trying to sleep and forget the day had happened.

None of this would have happened if I hadn't dated Jaebum, she thought.

She regretted many things from her past and would sleep thinking of all the things that could have been done differently. 

 

 

"Areum-ah! Wake up sweety" Morning already

"Let me sleep a bit more Hee-Yeon, Taehyung can wait"

"Hee-Yeon? Are you still dreaming Areum." The person laughed.

Areum quickly sat up. "Mom? What are you doing here?" Areum's mom sat on her bed.

"What do you mean? I live here." She stood up and headed for the door. "Get up quickly or you'll be late for school. Taehyung should be here any minute." 

School? Areum looked around the room, everything was different. She looked at the bed sheets. These weren't her's. She quickly stood up from the bed.

This room? She looked over at the vanity and caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. 

Her hair? Her face? She walked closer to the mirror.

Why was she younger? This was her high school self. She quickly began to look for her phone. Where was it? She got on her knees and looked under the bed.

There it was. This wasn't her phone. The date! She needed to check the date.

November 7...20

She threw the phone. Why was it 2013??

 

*Inset dramatic drama theme music*

 


Hello guys, 

I have finally finished the first chapter I had this up for a while but wasn't able to start it because of school.

I hope you enjoy it. 

Thank you for reading and please leave some feedback.