Chapter 2

How The Tables Have Turned
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why is your hair so long?” You ask.

You’ve been studying Jongin from the passenger seat for a while now, appreciating the handsome man he has become. His biceps are more defined, his jaw is somehow sharper, and his hair looks soft with a slight wave and longer than you remember him ever having it…

“What are you? My mother?” He glances over at you.

“It looks good.” You say and quickly ruffle his hair. He immediately flinches away from your hand with a grin threatening to break free.

“No attacking the driver!” He demands with a hint of playfulness.

“I wasn’t, but would you like me too?” You jokingly threaten.

“It depends on what kind of attack it is.” He looks at you and wiggles his eyebrows.

“Oh, my god, Jongin! When did you become so greasy?” You groan, moving your attention out the window.

“If I’m going to be your fake boyfriend, I gotta start practicing now.” His words take a stab at your heart… Oh, yeah… Fake boyfriend.

“It shouldn’t be too difficult… You used to be my real boyfriend.” You say under your breath with bitterness.

“Y/N, we haven’t seen each other in a long time. I have changed, and I’m sure you have too. Our dynamics are probably not the same as they were.”

Of course the conversation turns into an argument over a joke. That always happened, and you should have remembered that. Instead of fueling it, you let out a deep sigh.

“Are you mad?” Jongin sounds accusing.

“Why would I be?”

“I don’t know. That’s why I’m confused.”

“Well, I’m not.” Your body curls up in the seat, back to Jongin as you continue to watch the scenery pass by.  He doesn’t say anything else.

It’s dark when you pull up to the familiar house. There are not many cars parked out on the street like you had assumed. You step out of Jongin’s car and look nervously at him. He seems… strangely normal… like he isn’t about to lie to your entire family for a sponsorship.

He notices you staring and holds your hand to lead you up to the door. It takes a moment for someone to answer after the doorbell rings. Your grandma is so happy to see the two of you that she immediately pulls you both into a crushing hug. There’s light pitter-patter coming up behind her, and you glance down to see their dog walking as fast as it can with a slight limp. Your heart breaks; there’s grey fur sprouting around her eyes and mouth. Has it really been that long since you’ve come back?

“Let me show you to your room,” Your grandma says excitedly once she finally lets go.

“Okay,” You smile and begin to follow her to the stairs, “Um, where is everyone?”

“Some went out for dessert and others went to their hotels.” She answers, holding the railing tightly as she walks up the steps.

Before you can reach out to help, Jongin is already holding her free hand stepping slowly and carefully along with her.

“Oh, you’re always so sweet, Jongin.” She squeezes his hand.

He smiles genuinely at her, and you feel your heart almost stop. At the top of the stairs, he lets go and glances back at you like a deer in headlights. You try to wipe the fond look off your face but can’t.

“You two get to stay in our old room.” Your grandma breaks your moment and opens a door.

“Old room?” You question, peering inside the room. What once was full of your grandparents’ bed and knick knacks is now part

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter