Episode 4

언플 ✪ A Different Kind of Survival ✪ Discontinued
 
episode #04
"Be confident and have fun"

Again the episode opens with a series of image snippets teasing what's to come, this time with the show's theme song playing proudly along behind them. Finally they fade and the show's title scrawls over the images and then cuts away to where the contestants are all sitting in their compliment pairs, waiting patiently for something.

That something is soon revealed when Leeteuk and Taeyeon enter the room they're all waiting in, the latter carrying an envelope.

"Alright everyone, we know you're excited to hear who received immunity in the last round, so we won't make you wait." Leeteuk grins. "Taeyeon, if you would?"

The soloist steps forward and opens her envelope. "Well, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that it was neck-in-neck to the final moments, but in the end the Good Time team won!"

Alexis fist bumps Jaeno while U.Jin and Jiae both grin happily. Seonwoo attempts to high five Kurozu, but the independent idol ignores him, simply nodding stiffly in acknoweldgement of their win.

"However, only one of the three pairs can have immunity, and that pair is," Taeyeon check the envelope again, "Alexis and Kurozu! Congratulations you two, you cannot be eliminated in the upcoming challenge round!"

Alexis squeaks excitedly and after Kurozu again refuses an offered high five she hugs him instead, much to his shock.

Leeteuk steps forward, clearly amused by the winning pair's antics. "Now with that out of the way, we have another trust fall to do! Ladies, this week it's your turn to make your partners shine, and again the highest ranked team from the winning group will get immunity. We've already divided most of the guys by concept preference, but Diamond, Lucy, if you two would stay behind with your compliments for a moment we actually wanted to chat with you."

The two girls glance at their partners uncertainly, but while Eunjae remains passive Jo shoots Lucy a thumbs-up and she smiles faintly in return.

"In the meantime, on one team we have Kurozu, Ollie, Jaeno, and Cheol." Taeyeon speaks up quickly. "On the other we have R, Seonwoo, and Lai. You guys can head over to the practice rooms and these four will catch up with you soon!" She smiles, and behind her Hwajin smiles in return, looking almost dreamy.

"I think I've been pretty cool so far, but I'm something of a SONE." The singer admits in an interview. "It's been really hard not to run back to my house to get my albums and beg Taeyeon-sunbaenim to autograph them. Maybe after the show when it wouldn't break professional protocol."

Back in the room, the two MCs are left with Diamond, Eunjae, Jo, and Lucy, who are waiting expectantly to hear why they've been held back.

Leeteuk grins. "So Eunjae and Jo didn't write down concept preferences that fit into our two sections, so ladies, you'll be choosing who they're working with. Light or dark?"

Both girls blink and glance at their copmliments but Taeyeon tuts lightly. "Your decision girls, you're in charge this week." She reminds them with a smile, and both girls look back to the MCs.

After a moment, Lucy coughs. "I think we'll be joining the bright group." She decides, a bit uncertainly but with no wavering in her expression.

"In his performance with his group, Jo was really excited so I thought something bright would fit him better." The band member explains in her interview. "Bright doesn't have to mean cute after all, just fun. Right?"

Lucy and Jo depart the room, leaving Diamond and Eunjae. The former is deep in thought while the latter shifts nervously under the curious gaze of the two MCs. Finally, Diamond comes to a decision.

"Okay, we're going to the dark group. Come on Eunjae, hopefully they haven't finished line distributions yet." She announces firmly, and Eunjae follows behind her meekly.

"I looked up Eunjae's group and they mostly do darker concepts so I figure he'll be more comfortable in the dark group." Diamond explains her choice in an interview segment. "While I actually think he could do either, I want to make sure he does well, and I get the feeling he's not great at doing new things spontaneously." She smiles faintly. "He kind of reminds me of a very good friend of mine, which is making me less nervous about being completely in charge this episode! I think I can do right by him."

The scene shifts to show Diamond and Eunjae joining the dark group, who are seating in a large circle on the floor in one of the practice rooms.

"Hello! You can sit by us!" Jaeno waves them over cheerfully, shifting over to accomodate them and causing U.Jin to end up sitting outside of the circle when she scootches back to avoid being squished between her partner and Kurozu.

Diamond smiles uncertainly and takes the offered seat, Eunjae settling in next to her quietly. "Um, thanks. What have you all decided on so far?"

"We decided on BTS's Run, since they're one of the top dance groups and we've got all the dancers on this team." Sujin informs them with a grin. "I hope Eunjae is a good dancer?"

Diamond looks over at her partner who gives a faint shrug. "He's good." She responds to Sujin. "Line distribution then?"

"What did the MCs want?" Jaeno pipes up curiously as the girls split off to form their own group, leaving the men to chat, leaning over so he's in Eunjae's space.

Eunjae shifts nervously. "Diamond had to pick which group we'd be in." He replies, clearly nervous with the attention now being directed towards him by all four of the other men in the group.

Ollie frowns. "How come you got to choose? No one else did."

Eunjae's eyes narrow slightly. "Jo and Lucy picked too. Leeteuk says it's because they couldn't place us from the answers on our questionaires."

Ollie shrugs. "Okay. I'm just glad I'm the only rapper on the team."

"I'm gonna try rapping this time!" Woncheol pipes up cheerfully, and in an instant Ollie is glaring at him.

"Seriously? What do you know about rapping?"

Woncheol shrugs. "I mean, enough. I've practiced some with my groupmates. But don't worry, you can have most of the lines." He shoots Ollie a cocky grin that isn't returned.

"Just don't lose this for us like your partner did for our group last time." Ollie responds snarkily. Woncheol responds by sticking his tongue out good-naturedly.

"Don't intend to."

Eunjae looks back and forth between the two boys while Kurozu rolls his eyes.

"I head that Ollie was a real brat last week but he's worse than I expected." The independent idol observes dryly in his interview. "He better still put in one hundered percent during practice and not spend his time being sarcastic instead. As long as he does that I guess I don't actually care."

The women return not long later with a proposed line distribution.

"We decided to try and split it all as evenly as we could." Alexis explains in her interview. "That way no one would get less attention than anyone else!"

Saerom walks uncertainly over to Ollie and awkwardly waves him away from the rest of the group.

"Um, Sujin insisted on Woncheol getting some of the rap lines-"

"So I heard." Ollie grumbles.

Saerom turns red. "Ah, well, we were thinking-"

"We?" Ollie raises an eyebrow and Saerom's blush gets darker.

"Well, I was thinking and Diamond thought it was a good idea too. But, um, maybe you could give Woncheol some pointers for the rapping?"

Ollie frowns. "He doesn't need another edge over us. Do you want to get out of third place? Why would you offer to help the competition?"

Saerom stares at her feet. "Sorry, I just thought-"

"Ollie, I do believe the women are in charge for these performances. Your partner has made a request, and I believe a good teammate would listen." Diamond has made her way over to the two unnoticed, and both jump.

Ollie grimaces. "Fine."

"It will help us win the round if both our rappers can actually rap." Diamond observes mildly as Ollie stalks over to Woncheol and unceremoniously drags him away from the other guys. Woncheol, though clearly confused, cheerfully allows it.

Saerom stares at the floor, chewing on her lower lip. "Thanks for the help." She mumbles,her cheeks still hot but fading.

Diamond smiles. "That one needs a firm hand. Don't let him push you around."

Saerom nods, but she's frowning uncertainly.

The scene shifts then to show the other group, clearly rewinding by a few minutes as Lucy and Jo have not yet joined the original trio.

Hwajin is standing while the other five observe her politely.

"Alright team, we may be the cute performance, but that doesn't mean we can't be just as powerful as the other group." She says, pacing proudly in front of the group. "I propose we take a female song and put our own twist on it. I'm open to suggestions."

"How about Sweet 18?" Lucy pushes the door open then, creating quite a grand entrance for herself. "That's about as sweet as it gets, plus it leaves us room to do a second song as well. I can cut them together."

Hwajin frowns. "Hello, welcome to the team, would you care to listen to what we have so far before attempting to comandeer the entire team?" She flips her expression to a rather sardonic smile, and Lucy grins sheepishly back.

"Sorry, I'm excited. What did you guys have so far?"

"From the moment Lucy walked in it was pretty obvious there was going to be tension." Ryuwon sighs in her interview. "I mean, I get wanting to be in charge, I definitely wouldn't mind having a bit more say in everything, but those two are clearly both used to being the leader in the room and they started grating against each other immediately. I'm just hoping it doesn't mess up the final product the way ours fell apart last week."

The tension Ryuwon mentions is almost palpable in the practice room, where both Jiae and Ryuwon have retreated to sit with the guys while Lucy and Hwajin debate out the details of the performance.

"So do you two have any ideas for the second song?" Jo prompts with a grin.

Jiae shrugs idly. "Not anything concrete really. I'm sure Hwajin and Lucy have got it covered."

Ryuwon grimaces in a way that clearly denotes she does not feel the same. Jo catches it as well.

"Hey, if you have a suggestion all four of you are supposed to be working on this. Go talk to them."

Ryuwon barely hesitates before she's up and hurrying over to the other two, a look of determination on her face.

"And now all three of them are bickering." Jiae announces in the interview. "At least they are getting things done though. It's just kind of a slow process. I don't mind though, I'm getting to know the guys!"

Sure enough the four boys and Jiae are in the middle of a very loud game of 'Never Have I Ever' when the scene returns to the team's practice room.

"Never have I ever, um, ooh, had a crush on a girl! All of you drink!" Jiae giggles happily.

Ryuwon looks over. "That's just water, right?"

Lai grins at his parter as he takes a sip. "Of course it is, don't worry! How are things going with you guys?"

Ryuwon glances at the other two, who haven't looked up from their most recent debate. "Fine. We should be done soon." She replies quickly before turning back to them.

Jiae shrugs. "Well in that case maybe we could start warming up? Does anyone play piano?"

She's met by resounding silence, and she laughs. "Well, I guess I can learn. How hard can simple warm ups be anyway."

"Apparently really hard." Hwajin announces in her interview. "Thankfully we finished pretty quickly after that." She grins. "The other team isn't going to know what hit them."

The show returns to the team of five, who are working with Sujin on the dance for their performance. However, things don't seem to be going perfectly smoothly.

"I always thought I was a decent enough dancer until now." Jaeno laughs awkwardly in his own interview. "But I'm definitely the worst one on the team. I guess U.Jin and I make a good pair in that regard!"

In the practice room Jaeno's lacking skills are evident when he trips during a practice run with the new choreography.

"Hey, watch it!" Ollie yelps as the tumble causes Eunjae to jump backwards and into his space.

Eunjae's shoulder's hunch up defensively. "Sorry." he mumbles, and Ollie just huffs out a frustrated breath.

"Maybe we should run the dance a bit more? Without singing along?" Saerom suggests quickly before her compliment can say anything, pausing the music as she does.

Diamond frowns. "I'm not sure we have time to do that and get the lines down properly. We only have two days left and this is a tough song to sing along live with."

Alexis raises her hand. "I could cut the song a bit? Maybe shave off the last chorus? I know that cuts Kurozu's lines but we're already immune next round so I think it's fine."

Kurozu frowns but doesn't protest his partner's observation.

The other four girls share a look, and then Diamond shakes her head. "We'll manage. Sujin, you work with Jaeno one on one, see if you can help him improve. You've got two hours so stay focused." She shoots a pointed look at Jaeno who grins sheepishly, while Sujin nods and leads the other out of the room.

"I can admit I'm not thrilled that Diamond-unnie became the default leader when she and Eunjae joined the group." Sujin sighs in her interview. "But I can be leader later, and she is the oldest so it makes sense the other three automatically looked to her to lead."

In the practice room Diamond looks over at the remaining girls. "U.Jin, you and I will take Eunjae and Kurozu to work on their lines. Saerom, Alexis, you're with Ollie and Woncheol. We gave Cheol more rap lines than originally intended so really focus on getting him sharp. And do some jumping jacks or jog in place while you're practicing." She adds almost as an afterthought. "Everyone clear?"

The group nods with varying levels of enthusiasm, and Diamond tilts her head in return. "Good. We meet back here in two hours."

"Diamond is an extremely efficient leader." Leeteuk observes in his and Taeyeon's interview, sounding duly impressed.

Taeyeon hums her agreement. "I admit I was a bit worried about that group but they seem to be doing quite well. The cute group on the other hand..." She trails off and shakes her head and Leeteuk laughs.

The scene cuts over to where said 'cute' group is finally working on their performance.

"The girls decided not to have much of a dance and called in backup instead." Lai laughs in his interview, clearly relieved. "I'm an awful dancer so I'm really glad."

Hwajin is watching the group with a critical eye. In addition to the four male contestants, there are four backup dancers, four backup singers, and Jo's bandmates.

"Okay no, stop. Jihye, sweetie, I love you but you were very solidly out of tune." Hwajin sighs, waving at Jiae to stop the music, which the other girl does without complaint.

One of the two female backup singers blushes. "Sorry Hwajin." She apologizes.

Hwajin just shakes her head. "Take five, we're missing something anyway. Ladies." She strides away from the main crush of people, the other three girls following her closely. "Oh, Jihye, why don't you practice with, um," She gestures idly at the other female backup singer, who smiles warmly at Jihye.

"Chae." She reintroduces herself just loud enough to be caught by the cameras as they pan away to observe the four male contestants.

They're seated in an attempt at a circle, though due to their numbers it's ended up as more of an awkward square due to R sitting a bit out and Seonwoo sitting a bit too far in.

"So what do you guys think of the performance? I think we're doing really well so far!" Lai says brightly when no one else talks first.

Seonwoo eagerly jumps in. "I think so too! Lucy did a good job cutting the two songs together!"

Jo nods proudly at the note. "Especially considering she doesn't really remix songs so it's still new to her."

R remains quiet as the three boys chatter away, sitting slightly away from the group with his knees hugged to his chest.

"I've never been great at talking to people..." He admits in his interview, head down and fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "I get nervous and don't know what to say."

Hwajin agrees in her own interview segment. "If there's one thing I've learned about R it's that he has no self-confidence and serious social awkwardness. If I do nothing else on this show I'm smacking some self-worth into this kid. You gotta be a little selfish in life sometimes or you'll find yourself floudering and miserable. Trust me on that one." She grins sardonically.

When the scene returns it's to the group of five, who are sweaty and mostly glaring at each other.

"Woncheol isn't learning fast enough, and he's got a ton of vocal lines too. It's going to be Sujin all over again with him ruining the performance because he's not as good as he thinks he is." Ollie snaps at Saerom, who looks helplessly over at Diamond. The oldest woman is rubbing her temples lightly, eyes closed and brows knit.

"We have literally one day and I know for a fact neither Jaeno nor you can relearn an entire choreography in that time. We have to make do." Diamond sighs patiently, though it's clear she doesn't entirely disagree with Ollie's observations, crude as they are.

Alexis glances over at Kurozu, a question in her eyes, but her partner resolutely stares forward, and she bites her lip before raising her hand.

"Um, I might have an idea? It's risky though." She offers.

"Alexis's idea is insane." Sujin says bluntly in her interview. And then she grins. "But we're doing it. If we can pull this off, that immunity is ours for sure."

Back in the practice room the five boys have taken up new positions, with Woncheol and Kurozu having swapped. Sujin is at the front of the group, observing them as they slowly go through the dance, keeping a close eye on the two that have swapped parts.

Woncheol is surprisingly smooth already with his new parts, though Kurozu still makes missteps every so often. On the sidelines, Alexis watches him nervously.

"I made the suggestion because we are already immune. I mean, if he doesn't get things perfectly we don't really lose anything." She says in her interview. "But I'm still really nervous. I know he can do it I just... well, I think he can do it."

"I can do it, I'm just not sleeping tonight more than likely." Kurozu announces in his interview. "It was a risky call on Alexis's part though, especially as I haven't really talked to her about my rapping, which is mediocre at best. But I do think I'm better than Woncheol."

Said dancer is the next to give an interview. "I'm kind of sad I couldn't learn to rap in time, but I tried!" He says optimistically. "And I've already got my new parts down solid so I don't think we're losing anything with this change."

The next shot of the group shows the sun going down through the windows.

Diamond sighs and waves for the music to be stopped, which Saerom quickly scrambles to do. The oldest gestures for everyone to come in, and soon there's a circle around her.

"Okay, we need to eat, so go get dinner in the dining hall. Sit with your pairs please. Guys, tell the girls if you need anything so when we reconvene we can go over details. Meet back here in an hour and a half." She nods and taps Eunjae's shoulder so he follows her out of the room.

The rest of the pairs follow, leaving only Ollie and Saerom in the practice room as the latter cleans up the area around the music player.

"Okay, um, sorry about that. I like keeping my space clean." Saerom stumbles out when she turns and finds Ollie standing over her. He's several centimeters taller than she is and the height difference is blaringly obvious with how close they're standing.

Saerom swallows awkwardly. "Okay, um, I guess let's go?" She suggests nervously, and Ollie follows her out without complaint.

The two enter the dining hall to find that nearly the entire group of contestants are present. The only absences are Lucy and Hwajin, and the scene cuts away to show the two still in the practice room with the backup dancers, singers, and band for their group. The band members have been joined by a couple brass players who Lucy is attempting to direct as Hwajin oversees the rest of the group.

"We may have taken on a bit more than we can chew." Ryuwon notes in her interview. "But Lucy and Hwajin swear they have things under control and honestly I was too hungry to really argue with them about it. The boys look good, Lai is nailing his section, I've decided that that's good enough for me so I don't give myself an aneurysm worrying about things out of my control."

Lucy shakes her head in her own interview. "We're being ambitious! And it's definitely paying off, our stage is going to be amazing tomorrow. You just wait and see."

"Lucy is taking on too much." Hwajin immediately disagrees when she's shown next. "I'm letting her cover the live band stuff since that really isn't my area of expertise, but I kind of doubt she can get them sharp enough for tomorrow. I'm honestly thinking of getting a studio recording to play quietly underneath tomorrow, just to be safe. I really want a shot at that immunity, and with how hard R has been working on making his raps this week I think we deserve it."

In the dining hall, Ryuwon and Jiae have taken seats along with the four boys in their group.

"So how are you guys feeling about things?" Jiae asks, and her partner, sitting next to her, is quick to answer.

"Great! I don't get to show off my lower register very often since everyone knows me as the guy with a girl voice so that's fun." Seonwoo beams happily, and Jiae grins back.

"I'm having fun too, the second song is so energetic, I love it!" Lai adds, bouncing in his seat and making a motion with his arm as he begins singing part of the song.

Jo laughs. "Hey, that's my section! Stick to your own parts." He nudges Lai lightly in the side and the other boy laughs.

R stays quiet, watching the others chatter as they eat as he pokes idly at his own meal. He's smiling though, a hesitant expression on his usually somber face.

Seonwoo, who's seated next to him, suddenly turns. "And you're doing really well too R! I didn't know you could sing but you do those low harmonies super well at the end!"

R jerks up, eyes wide at the sudden attention, and his face immediately heats up.

"Oh, um, I started as a singer. I just got stuck rapping because no one else wanted to?" He says nervously, and Jo raises an eyebrow thoughtfully.

"Well in the future we'll need to get you singing more. In the meantime, we should be getting back. Hopefully Lucy whipped the band into shape while we were gone." He decides, standing up and the rest of the group following him.

The scene returns to the stage on the day of the performance, where once again the two MCs are waiting happily, waving at the crowd as they cheer.

This time Leeteuk speaks first. "As you all know, last week the males put together performances for their female compliments, based on what concepts the girls prefered. This week, things were flipped!"

Taeyeon raises her microphone then. "So tonight we'll be seeing what the girls have come up with for their male counterparts! Staring us off we have those men who are most comfortable with powerful and dark performances. We'll allow the ladies to introduce their compliments." The two MCs step back and the five girls file onto the stage.

Diamond naturally steps forward. "Perhaps it's a bit cliché, but what boy group better encapsulates the powerful concept than BTS?" Her statement gets her screams of approval and she smiles.

"We also have the best dancers on our team, so what better match than the group with the hardest choreographies in the industry today?" Sujin adds, to more cheers.

Alexis jumps forward next. "So without further ado, I present, Run!" She waves and the girls exit as their partners walk onto the stage and take their positions.


Eunjae - Silver Hair; Kurozu - Dark Haired Rapper; Jaeno - Blond Singer; Ollie - Blond Rapper; Woncheol - Dark Haired Singer

The audience cheers and the boys hold their final pose until the noise dies down. They then exit as the MCs step forward again.

"We did it! We did it!" Jaeno exclaims excitedly in his interview. "I didn't miss my steps! Ahh, that was such a rush!"

Woncheol is similarly exicted. "Kurozu-hyung did great! And I did great! And Ollie did great! We all did great!" He laughs. "Man I am crazy high on endorphins right now. Did you hear those fanchants? We haven't gotten fanchants like that in years." His smile becomes less enthusiastic and more nostalgic as the camera switches to the next interview.

"Told you I could do it." Kurozu smiles tiredly in his interview. "But now I'm just happy to have some time to sleep tonight. We've got eliminations coming up and I intend to be in my best shape, even if I am already safe thanks to Alexis last week. You can't rest on your laurels in shows like this."

Eunjae bites his lip thoughtfully in his interview. "I'm not... sad? Sad that I didn't get to sing the chorus. I actually like that I was doing the harmonies and some of the bridge. Diamond said that I'm the only one who could hit the higher notes comfortably and I believe her. So I guess it was fun?" He glances at the camera with a shy smile.

Finally Ollie is shown, and for once he looks happy. "Despite the absolute chaos we've been in these past couple of days, that went well. I'd like to see the other team top that."

Back onstage the four girls for team two have entered and are introducing their performance as the band and backup singers set up behind them.

"For our performance, everything you hear is being played live here in the theatre!" Lucy announces into her microphone.

"Maybe we don't have the better dancers, but you can expect to be up and dancing in your seats." Hwajin promises with a sly grin.

"And we've got great rapping and harmonies to more than cover for it." Jiae winks cheerfully at the camera.

Finally Ryuwon steps forward. "By the end of this you'll have a whole new appreciation for what cute concepts can bring."

The girls bow and hurry off the stage, to reveal that their compliments have already entered and are standing in a line between the band and the backup vocals.


R - Rapper; Jo - Camo Jacket; Lai - Solid Shirt; Seonwoo - Light Hair

Sure enough several audience members are caught dancing along to the performance, and the boys are loudly applauded after they finish.

The show immediately cuts to their interviews.

"I dare say that went quite well!" Lai exclaims happily, accompanying his statement with the fist pump motion from the second half of the performance and then laughing. "I'm going to be doing that for all pride songs from now on, it's so much fun!"

Seonwoo also gives a mini reprise when he does his 'woos' at the start of his interview and then giggling. "I'm kind of sad it's over! For how messy it got sometimes during rehearsals, this was such a fun performance!"

Jo clearly agrees as he joins the train of mimicing parts of the performance to start his interview, doing the same arm motion Lai had used. "I'm really glad Lucy picked this team for us to work with, I don't think I'd be half as pleased right now if I'd been on the other team. I mean, aside from having no dance training I wouldn't have gotten to hype up the audience like I did!"

R is, as usual, more subdued in his interview, but even he's smiling. "It was a fun performance, but being in this group basically meant it was going to be. That's the whole concept after all." He points out.

Back onstage Taeyeon and Leeteuk have once again taken center stage.

"Well everyone, what did you think? Don't forget to vote for your favorite performance, and tune in next week for our very first elimination round!" Taeyeon announces.

Leeteuk nods. "It's starting to heat up here, but for now we bid you goodnight! Until next time, this has been Media Play! See you all next week!"


Never switch performances the day before an episode is due, it's not fun OTL I mean, it was totally worth it, but I had to write almost 2k today to get this thing up in time xD But I hope you all enjoyed the episode, and once again the poll below will be open until this Wednesday at midnight CST! Don't forget to vote, and feel free to tell me what you thought in the comments below!