Episode 2

언플 ✪ A Different Kind of Survival ✪ Discontinued
 
episode #02
"Turn into stars"

"Welcome back to Media Play everyone!" The show again starts with no preamble, this time with Leeteuk being the MC of choice. He's holding the same microphone Taeyeon had used in the previous episode and he's smiling as brightly as she had been. "Last week you met the nine ladies hoping to earn their group the chance to promote as SM artists. Today you'll be meeting the nine men hoping for the same thing! But we're switching things up a bit - today we'll be starting with the groups that have been debuted for the longest amount of time! So with no further ado - I'm sure you're sick of my face already - let's meet our first contestant!"

The audience laughs as Leeteuk winks at them and then waves on a single performer, who bows politely to both him and the audience before standing center stage and waiting for him cue music.

The audience claps, though they're clearly a little confused by his choosing to sing in Japanese instead of Korean. Leeteuk is applauding as well as he walks over.

"That was beautiful, I think you might just rival our Kyuhyun with a voice like that!" He jokes, and the young man smiles uncertainly, all his calm confidence seeming to have vanished with the final notes of the song.

"Ah, thank you." He remembers to say, bringing up the microphone in his hands almost too late to catch the words. "Um, my name is Eunjae, I'm from 5us. We debuted in 2011. Please take care of me." He bows again to Leeteuk and to the audience before awkwardly going backstage, leaving a clearly amused host to introduce the next contestant.

"Up next is a group that debuted in 2012. Please welcome Orion!"

A group of nine men enter the stage, though it's clear which are group members by their bright yellow jackets.

The audience seems quite endeared to the cute performance as the boys get a respectable amount of applause after they finish compared to the near total silence from before they'd started.

"Riding through the Sky, we are Orion!" The group makes their greeting, and they push the rapper to the front of the group as Leeteuk approaches. As the rapper takes the offered microphone the other three boys head backstage.

"Hello, I am Orion's rapper and vocalist R." He bows politely and then heads backstage after his group mates.

"I'm one of the only original members of Orion left." He says in his interview, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt as he talks. "I really hope this show helps us since it has been very long and tiring for me."

A quick clip of R's rapping is played before the view returns to Leeteuk and the stage.

"Well that was fun! Let's see how our other 2012 debutante compares, shall we?"

A young man dressed simply in a suit walks on and takes a seat on the stool he'd brought with him. He waits only a moment before begining his song.

The audience again is bewildered by the language choice, and this time Leeteuk gets to ask.

"So why Japanese?" He greets as he approaches the performer, and the young man beams.

"Well we've only been able to promote in Japan lately since we sued our Korean company for mistreatment and we won. But now we don't have a label in Korea to work with." He explains cheerfully. "I'm Lai by the way, a vocalist for the group EGM! Please give us lots of love!" He throws hearts out at the audience as he exits the stage.

The next performers walk on while Leeteuk is introducing them, saving some time.

"Up next we have a group that debuted in 2013 and was even close with BTS before they got big!"

A couple of the boys grimace at the mention of the insanely popular boy group, but the other three just look rather sad. However they quickly correct their expressions as their music begins.

Several of the audience members shout out the fanchants, earning them winks and grins from the boys performing. When they finish, they all bow and then shout in unison, "Raising the stakes, we are HIGH TOP!" Four of them head backstage after that but give the remaining member solid pats on the shoulder, fist bumps, and one even gives him a quick hug before exiting the stage.

The remaining member winks at the audience before accepting the microphone from Leeteuk to properly introduce himself. "Hello everyone! I'm Woncheol, here to represent HIGH TOP! I'm looking forward to showing you all my skills!" He grins and then hands Leeteuk his mic back, gestures for him to back up a bit, and then waves towards the sound booth.

The audience shouts their approval of his live demonstration as he grins and waves all the way off the stage.

Leeteuk grins at his antics as he turns back to the audience. "Well that was a fun surprise! Let's see if our next group can measure up!"

Five boys hurry onto the stage at their cue, looking a bit nervous, but mostly determined.

When they finish they get a decent amount of applause. They stand and bow to the audience before all but the singer in the black jacket leave the stage.

"Hello!" He greets once Leeteuk has handed him the mic. "I'm Jaeno and we are X-MIUS! That was our brand new song Touch It, and we hope you'll support it as well as me!"

His interview is shown a moment later, and he's grinning brightly at the camera.

"We debuted in 2014 but we never really got anywhere in Korea so we've been trying to promote in Japan recently. That hasn't really worked out either though." He admits, his smile straining a bit. "But that's why I'm here! I really hope you'll show us lots of love!"

Back onstage, Jaeno has departed and a band is working to set up their instruments, with assistance from the stagehands who are much more proficient at it now than they had been for Lucy's band before.

"Up next is a group that actually debuted in Japan first! They then debuted back here in Korea in 2015. Let's see what they've got."

Leeteuk times the introduction perfectly, as the group is just finishing getting into position when he steps back.

The audience really gets into the performance, and the group is clearly having fun jumping around the stage. But as with the girls before, when they finish they have to immediately rush to take their speakers and instruments down so the next group can perform.

The member in the jean jacket walks over to Leeteuk and bows cheerfully.

"Hello, I'm Jo from The Wake! I'm excited to be here to promote my group." He grins at the audience. "I hope you enjoyed our performance, and that you'll want to see more of us!"

Jo leaves the stage along with his group, helping a stage hand carry one of the speakers.

"I was so excited to debut in Korea a few years ago, but unfortunately it hasn't quite played out how I imagined when I first joined FNC as a kid." Jo laughs in his interview. "Our manager told us that if we can't start making at least as much as the company is spending on us then they might not be able to justify supporting us in the future, so I'm really hoping this show works out. I love performing, and the band is really a great bunch of guys."

The scene cuts back to the stage, where Leeteuk is preparing to introduce the next group. However, when he looks at his prompt screen, he raises an eyebrow and gives a slightly surprised smile.

"Actually, I think this group introduces itself just fine. Welcome our next group, F1RSTCLASS." He steps to the side as most of the female audience start screaming their lungs out.

When the group finishes the audience begins screaming again, apparently not having lost their voices shouting the fanchant along with the song. The group beams and waves until Leeteuk gestures for them to exit, leaving just one member on the stage, beaming happily and bouncing on his toes.

"So I think almost everyone here knows, but would you like to introduce yourself?" Leeteuk prompts with a smile, and the boy accepts the microphone offered.

"Hi everybody! I'm Seonwoo of F1RSTCLASS! I haven't done anything solo since King of Masked Singer, and I haven't done anything solo as a guy, so wish me luck!" He waves happily and several of the audience members cheer again.

Seonwoo is still very perky in his interview. "I'm so excited to get a chance for F1RSTCLASS to promote under such a big company! We've been so close to winning but we always get beat out by bigger groups even though we keep trying really hard! So hopefully I can do well on this show and make my group proud of me!" He pumps his fist happily and the scene returns to the stage where a group of six have gathered.

Leeteuk waves for the mustic to start instead of doing his usual introduction, and the group take their positions.

The group gets some applause, but after the roaring approval F1RSTCLASS had received it sounds rather pathetic, and the group is clearly affected by it, several of them looking almost heartbroken.

The contestant left onstage after the rest have bowed and made their exit looks more defiant that disappointed, and his tone of voice supports that when he introduces himself.

"I'm Ollie, and we are Eko. Get ready to have your minds blown." He grins slyly towards the camera and the audience before exiting the stage, leaving Leeteuk to shrug and walk to the middle of the stage to present the final contestant.

However, Ollie's interview is shown first.

"We've been waiting over a year to get a comeback, but our company can't afford one. I'm going to turn that around." Ollie promises firmly. "Even if there is a kid with a super unfair advantage." He adds wryly, not stating outright who he's talking about but the implications remain.

"Our final contestant this evening just debuted earlier this year - if you could call it that. I won't claim to be able to explain them well, so I'll let them speak for themselves. Please welcome SAMJOK:ZERO!" Leeteuk steps aside to give the stage to a group of ten young men, six of whom stand out as the group members, all looking determined.

The audience applauds the ending of the performance, and a few men in the back applaud particularly loudly, causing one of the boys onstage to laugh and nudge the one in the white shirt who rolls his eyes.

Leeteuk is grinning when he walks up, passing the four backup dancers as they leave. "So why don't you tell us about yourselves?" He offers the microphone to the group in general, but it's the boy in white who accepts it and steps to the center of the group.

"We are Samjok:Zero, and we aren't associated with any labels. We are a fully independent and self-produced group who have been training for two years together to prepare for our debut." He says proudly. "I am Kurozu, the leader and founder of the group."

Leeteuk nods. "Well that's quite something. I wish you all the best regardless of how the show goes."

He gets a few thanks from the group members as the whole group leaves.

Leeteuk returns to the center of the stage, smiling. "Well I'd say that this is looking to be a very interesting competition, woudn't you?" He lets the audience cheer before continuing. "I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out! But now, and hopefully Kurozu managed to change quickly because I don't have extra time to stall with," The audience laughs, "Our contestants have put together a special performance for you all! So goodbye for now from me, and don't forget to vote!"

Leeteuk waves and exits as the nine contestants file on, with Kurozu hurrying on a bit after the rest, struggling to finish pulling on his overalls.

Eunjae glances over at the other singer uncertainly, and then unhooks one of his own suspenders and smiles awkwardly at Kurozu, who just stares back but does stop fighting with his costume.

Most of the group files to the side of the stage, leaving just Woncheol in the center. The dancer gives a little spin, then lowers his head and waits for the music to start.


Eunjae - Pink W/ Overalls, R - All White Rapper, Jo - Blue Singer, Jaeno - Red W/ Overalls, Woncheol - Hat, Kurozu - Blue W/ Overalls, Lai - Pink Sweater, Seonwoo - All White Singer, Ollie - Blue Rapper

As the song ends and the audience cheers, the camera focuses on each boy, showing the number to text if you want to vote for him. The credits begin rolling as the curtains close and the audience begins to leave the studio. The screen goes black.


And thus introductions are complete! And I'm currently on the road going towards my sister's wedding, so I may not be able to respond to comments until next weekend when the next episode goes up OTL So yeah, that's why I'll be kind of quiet for the next week, but fear not! The episode will go up on Sunday, same as ever, I've got the whole thing planned out ^^
Once again for voting, list/rank your top five favorite male contestants so far! You can vote for your own kid, since I forgot to say you can't last chapter, but know that in the future that won't be an option! And again, so long as you're subbed you can vote, no character or even an application required ^^
Next week: Actual competition stuff finally!