Tag and Crushes

Frost

Everything felt so familiar.

 

Her nose picked up the smoky fumes of gasoline, fresh meaty sausages from the butcher’s shop, and many piquant scents vibrating from the nearby garbage cans. Her ears, alertly perked, caught strange syllables and vowels from the clamorous human conversations. Her eyes saw the cement sidewalks, towering brick walls of buildings, and the moving figures passing by in the streets. All of her senses were eagerly stirred. Everything was so alive. Tzuyu spread the toes of her paws, reveling in the satisfying hard grip below her feet. She was in the alleyway, which for the late evening, was lively with the frantic barking of dogs and occasional hisses of felines. Ruffling up her fur, Tzuyu boldly strutted inside one of the narrow street ends. There was a good deal of dogs there, snarling and growling at each other as they stood in two adjacent lines. When Tzuyu entered, all eyes were immediately set on her. They must have smelled her beforehand. And oh, she certainly was a fetching sight. She was nothing like any of the dogs around—incredibly well-built and towering on firm long legs. Her nose was long, her ears were pointy, and her eyes glimmered a mysterious mossy green. Most importantly, they took careful notice of her sharp, slick grey coat. She was no mere dog.

 

“New meat, huh?” An old cocker spaniel smirked at her. “You’re here for a challenge?”

 

Tzuyu wasn’t aware, but she nodded along. Many of the dogs, especially the hounds who could sniff the wild blood within her, made way for her in the lines. Glancing around, she noticed that several of them had scarred faces and ripped ears. The veterans and very elite all wore a silver cuff on their ears. All of them must’ve led respective gangs, because it was a symbol of leadership in the city.

 

“What will I win?” She turned to the cocker spaniel. Tzuyu grew up here. She knew how bloody these fights could get, and she wasn’t planning to risk her life without a gain.

 

“Well, you’ll have to challenge and defeat a gang leader first.” He chuckled in a raspy voice. “Then, you’ll win anything, kid. If you can take down a dog, they’ll offer you whatever you ask.”

 

Calmly, she nodded in appreciation. Despite her size, she knew the other dogs in the challenging line were not afraid of her. She was younger than half of them. She didn’t have any cool scars to show off either.

 

Whatever happened next remained a blur. She felt pain, aching from all sides of her body and it made her felt more nauseous than ever. Then, there were so many patches of fur rushing pass her that her eyes couldn’t keep up. And blood, there was red just splattered everywhere. There were a few bodies spread out across the ground—some breathing, some were totally still. Those that could make it out alive the death circle were watching in agony on the sideline. Tzuyu stood there, glancing around at the mess before her while shielding herself behind a large mastiff. One by one, more dogs were dropping. The gang leaders were strong. Some had a few scratches from all their challengers, while others had none at all. Tzuyu began to notice that it was partly because they move so fast. They attacked quickly and switched sides with incredible speed. Finally, there was a hard thud beside her as the mastiff fell. Tzuyu stiffened as a gang leader, a buff female malamute standing at around her height, prowled closer with a bloody muzzle. The gang leader’s eyes glowed in ferocity as she jumped and latched herself squarely on Tzuyu’s neck. The wolf could only endure as terrible fangs began to penetrate her thick fur. This wasn’t the first time she’d been attacked. Her mind blanked out upon impact, and the world around seemed to spin in dizzying circles. She really wasn’t going to stand a chance. Her eyes narrowed as she forced them to stay alert, but they faltered the more she was being pushed down at the neck by the malamute. It wasn’t long before her head was inches away from touching the ground. But it was right there, seconds before she lost it all, that Tzuyu astutely realized her luck. She had no idea how her weakening eyes were able to magnify it, but she was glad they did. Across one of the malamute’s legs was a painful, deep lash, a seemingly open wound with blood still leaking out at the edges. Tzuyu didn’t have much time. She gathered the last of her strength to push back against the bite on her neck. Then with one slow step after another, she shifted them both closer towards the wall of the alley. The bricks were rough enough. She needed to do it now. With much effort Tzuyu swung her neck, bringing with her the malamute and managed to knock her unsuspecting opponent against the wall. The wolf felt the bite on her neck loosen and tried for another wall slam. She repeated it until she couldn’t feel her muscles anymore, but eventually, the malamute let go. That was awfully draining for the young challenger. The dog, snarling at the loss of her advantage, dove in for another attack towards the head. A rush of adrenaline flooded her blood just in time for Tzuyu to dodge the attack successfully. Now, the only thing that was fueling her was the drive to live. Her survival instincts were crashing in. There was only one chance she could get out of this, and she wasn’t going to waste it now. The wolf crouched, darted forth, and locked her jaw on the malamute’s leg wound. The dog collapsed under the abrupt assault, yelping but still very much baring her fangs in rage. Tzuyu let go of the wound and took her chances to strike at the soft white fur under the malamute’s chin. The dog’s windpipe was severed within less than five seconds. Tzuyu’s legs were shaking when she lifted her head up. She looked around, realizing that all other fighting had ceased and she was the only one standing in the combat circle. The dogs, both watchers and survivors, were blinking rapidly in her direction.

 

“Well, a leader managed to fall after all.” The cocker spaniel his lips. “What do you want kid?”

 

“The gang.” Tzuyu growled lowly. She was near fainting but the bloody taste of victory felt too good on her tongue.

 

“What?”

 

“Her gang.” The young wolf asserted louder.

 

~~~***~~~

 

“Tzuyu?” A voice seemed to call for her, but it was so far away that she couldn’t make out its exact location.

 

“Tzuyu.” It was echoing closer.

 

“Tzuyu!” Suddenly, light flashed into her eyes and the gray-coated delta jolted awake. Chaeyoung was staring down at her, frowning slightly at the corners of her lips.

 

“Hm?” Tzuyu yawned, taking a moment to stretch.

 

Chaeyoung was sitting with some leaves and a rock in front of her. “You were growling and swinging your legs everywhere.”

 

“Oh.” The younger laughed lightly. “Was I?”

 

“A bad dream?”

 

“Not necessarily. Just, um, a little intense.”

 

“You were hunting or something? I mean, you just got back from a session an hour ago.”

 

“A notch more intense. I was fighting with some dog, I think.”

 

“Wow. Can’t even catch a breath even in your sleep, huh?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Chaeyoung turned a few of the leaves with her paw, keenly studying their appearances and shapes. “I just found these the other day.”

 

“In the forest?”

 

“Yep. I’ve never seen them before, but I remember being taught about what they’re used for.”

 

“You’re really cool, Chaeyoung.” Tzuyu murmured. The medic looked at her weirdly, obviously not believing nor agreeing to what she’d just said. “I’m serious.”

 

“Whatever.” The older shrugged.

 

Tzuyu idly swung around and cleaned herself. That little nap didn’t help one bit. Her muscles still felt like loose gel and her paw pads were awfully sore. A few hours before, Momo had howled to her from somewhere in the lower valley, requesting her to come down for a little skirmish. When the younger got down, the lead hunter seemed to be struggling with a snow hare. Momo apologized for calling her down so late. Hunting usually ceased in the evening, unless the pack really needed the meat. The alpha had explained that she needed her to provide a distraction. The rabbit had proven to be more clever than Momo had expected. It had all sorts of places to hide, whether that was behind rocks, under burrows, or simply just blending in with the snow. Being the very helpful, agreeable wolf that she was, Tzuyu obviously took up the challenge. But even for a skillful tag team like theirs, the job wasn’t necessarily easy. The problem that the hunters quickly discerned was the amount of tunnels this hare had. It was kind of ridiculous. The quarry would dive into one mid chase and even when the wolves drove it out of that one, it would continue to sink into another a few feet away. This was not only time consuming but also very confusing. The hunters eventually settled down to first catch their breaths, then discuss a new plan. But they weren’t even done with the first objective when they both heard a sharp squeal in the distance. And what they found looking ahead was incredibly mortifying, the hare was dead and dangling in the jaw of a fox. Momo snarled so hard, Tzuyu really thought she really was going to lose it. Perhaps the younger wasn’t wrong, because the lead hunter jumped immediately on all fours and bolted for the smaller tundra-coated canine. Tzuyu sat still, a little unsure of whether she should be going after the alpha or just stay put. She decisively chose the latter. Momo, dashing in full rage, closed the gap between her and the luckier fox within less than a minute. The smaller canine was a little too fulfilled with its catch to notice the terror behind it. Momo was able to close in fast. The fox attempted to flee when it smelled her, but the lead hunter had created enough shock to make her move effortlessly. Interestingly enough, she dove for the kill in the fox’s mouth instead of the fox itself. Snatching the dangling hare away, Momo growled a stern warning at the fox who had stopped dead in its track. It gazed at her, utterly perplexed but didn’t dare to protest and quickly quivered away into the coverage of the woods. Tzuyu didn’t bother to say anything when the alpha came back.

 

The sun was getting ready to set outside. Warm reddish-golden light trickled inside the medic den, highlighting Chaeyoung’s concentrated face as she observed another set of plant samples. Tzuyu was lying languidly on her side, tail softly tapping the stony floor as her eyes fixed themselves on the older delta. Chaeyoung reached down to grab the stone with , then consecutively slammed it onto the leaves. She managed to grind them down into small bits before lowering her nose for a quick sniff. The smell was a little sharp, and so the medic scrunched up her nose in the cutest manner Tzuyu had ever seen. The younger delta chuckled.

 

Chaeyoung’s ears twitched, and Tzuyu was soon rebuked by a pair of disapproving gray eyes. “It’s getting dark, you know.”

 

“I know.” The hunter hummed.

 

“You should get back to the den. Isn’t the floor a little too rough?”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“It gets really cold in here at dusk.”

 

“But you’ll be in here.”

 

“I’ll head back in like two hours.”

 

“I won’t sleep as soundly over there if you’re in here.”

 

Chaeyoung shot her another questionable look. “Yes you can.”

 

“Nooo...” Tzuyu whined, a smile creeping out at the corners of her lips.

 

The medic shook her head. “What even is that logic?”

 

Tzuyu shrugged, not budging and resumed to watch Chaeyoung crush more herbs. But her stare seemed to bother the older more than before, the medic’s face glowing with a reddish tint as she tried not to lose focus. Pretty soon, the attention was becoming a little unbearable.

 

“Why are you even here?” Chaeyoung tilted her head at the younger. “There’s nothing interesting.”

 

“You’re interesting.” A smirk finally revealed itself on Tzuyu’s face.

 

“I’m literally crushing plants with a rock.”

 

“Interesting.”

 

“Oh, come on.” The medic rolled her eyes. Yet a few seconds later, both wolves were laughing at themselves and each other. There was a feeling floating around the cavern, a kind of spell that was encircling around them both.

 

“Why are you so eager to kick me out?” Tzuyu faked a pout, ears slowly drawn back.

 

“Because…” Chaeyoung didn’t look at her but appeared to be searching for the right words through her pile of mashed up leaves. “You deserve a good rest.”

 

“I can rest here just fine.”

 

The older glanced at her, endearingly even through her masked annoyance. “You’re so strange.”

 

“Well, love makes you crazy, doesn’t it?” Tzuyu could barely catch herself before the words slipped. Damn. She had always been a rather straightforward wolf who wasn’t afraid of speaking her mind, but maybe this was a little too much conspicuity.

 

“What?” Chaeyoung snapped her head back, eyes widened. Her expression clearly showed that she’d heard every word.

 

“Nothing.” Tzuyu smiled it off and swept her tail leisurely across the floor.

 

“What are you saying all of a sudden?” The medic was blushing so hard that the younger could almost feel the heat vibrating off her cheeks. “You should really head back.”

 

Tzuyu simply giggled. Chaeyoung was absolutely adorable.

 

~~~***~~~

 

“Sana…” Dahyun sighed but at this point, it was kind of pointless.

 

“Is this good enough?” Sana asked for the fifth time. Her entire body was literally constricting around Dahyun’s.

 

“Sana, I’m fine really.” The younger pleaded. “I don’t think my entire body heat would be affected by a single cut on my paw.”

 

“Are you sure?” Sana’s eyes were roundening, an exceedingly dangerous sight.

 

“Yes, really.”

 

Reluctantly but compliantly, Sana relaxed around the beta’s body. The omega had been following her everywhere. Dahyun’s wound was almost completely healed but it was no use arguing against Sana. The beta also didn’t really mind because aside from being able to tolerate it, she had grown to find it quite enjoyable. She was naturally fond of getting attention—though, she would never have the guts to admit it—but getting Sana’s attention was a completely different kind of bliss. Unsurprisingly, the omega was a wonderful listener and a charming banterer. She had unique mannerisms that were not easily noticeable but effective in making others ease up around her. Sana’s company was soothing in the best therapeutic sense. Her eyes, warm and tender in their earthy chestnut shade, would twinkle with an essence powerful enough to hypnotize the most composed wolf. Ever since she got hurt, Dahyun would get up in the morning, feeling the omega stir next to her and receive the most refreshing smile to start off the day. Sana would then follow her in the morning patrol around their borders, cheerful and enthusiastic as usual despite not being used to getting up so early. Whenever she could, Dahyun would even take a different route on purpose just for the sake of showing Sana a few spectacles in their wintry woodland. The beta would take her to a small clearing where mesmerizing patches of blue orchids peeked out from the snowy ground, defying the cruel temperature. Then, somewhere along the way, Sana would always manage to find a fallen log. If it was hollowed out, the omega would try to squeeze herself inside of it no matter how impossible. This was so spontaneous that Dahyun never had the chance to remind the older about the possibility of her getting stuck. Sana would always be a step ahead and sometimes if she could fit her entire body inside, the two would play a brief game of hide and seek. From what the beta had gathered, Sana’s constant wagging tail always gave her away in an instant. Dahyun’s afternoon hours were cut so she would have nothing to do except laze around with the omega. And even in a leisurely activity such as that, there was never a dull moment with Sana.

 

Outside the den, a gamma laid deep in thought as she watched her packmates enter their third round of tag. Without her nose and purple eyes, she might as well be identical to any normal mound of snow. Ever since she’d beaten Momo in that simulation, the mentor had offered her a few days of rest. At first, Mina had thought nothing more of it than a reward for her victory. But when she saw Momo clear awkwardly after the congratulations, the gamma had a hunch that her mentor needed the break more than she did. Not training for a while would be weird. For an introvert like herself, Mina didn’t really know how to spend her days.

 

The valley was warmer today, and the heat made Mina yawn drowsily. She crossed her front legs, deciding whether or not to take yet another nap. In front of her, a vigorous assault between Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung was unfolding as the other wolves circled around them. Mina, being the reserved creature that she was, preferred to hold her peace and not join in the chaos. But she couldn’t escape the hectic commotion for long because as soon as that round ended, the break in between became another kind of competition. Nayeon and Jeongyeon approached her calmly at first, and Mina had swayed her tail at them until they started pushing each other halfway there. It was odd to the gamma, who slightly cocked her head at the feuding pair, because the two were usually so happy around each other. Now they were baring fangs, snarling threateningly while trying to block the other’s path towards a very confused gamma.

 

Jeongyeon succeeded due to her height shielding Mina against the other beta. She grinned as if nothing had happened at all. “Mina. Do you want t—”

 

But their eldest had other ideas, the younger beta could barely finish when Nayeon crawled under her legs and popped her head out from the other side. “Join my team!”

 

Jeongyeon tried to stop her, but the older had already slid out in front. Mina, visibly composed but honestly a little amused by their antics, swept her tail in anticipation. Maybe she should save that nap for some time later.

 

“If you join Nayeon you will lose.” Jeongyeon warned her in a whisper.

 

“Jeongyeon already has Tzuyu on her team! It’s very unfair.” Nayeon retorted.

 

“Well, you have Chaeyoung and she isn’t very weak either. Plus, Tzuyu never comes for her and that’s not fair.”

 

“You’re just saying that, because you’re too feeble to beat Chaeng on your own.”

 

“Tzuyu could topple you in a second!”

 

“Yeah, obviously because she’s huge!”

 

The endless snapping returned, and both wolves quickly forgot the real reason they came to bother Mina. The gamma took this time to glance around, observing the other players who were, interestingly enough, totally in their own worlds. Chaeyoung was drawing something in the ground with her nose, while Tzuyu intensely watched every move like her life depended on it. Well, they obviously didn’t care. Across from them, Jihyo was bouncing around disappearing in the snow every once in a while. When Mina looked close enough, it seemed like the leader was digging something up. The gamma, intrigued by the leader’s enthusiasm, rose to her feet and crept past the arguing betas. She padded down to where Jihyo was, even more curious when she saw the alpha take up something in . To Mina’s oblivion, the beta pair was determined and at her sudden disappearance, they immediately broke glares to raced after her.

 

“So, Mina.” Nayeon breathed heavily when she caught up. “Do you want to join in or...?”

 

Mina looked at the sandy beige beta, then at Jeongyeon, then finally at Jihyo. The decision just came naturally to her. “I’ll join Jihyo’s team.”

 

“Oh.” Jeongyeon blinked.

 

“Jihyo’s?” Nayeon stared at the alpha.

 

The leader was digging furiously under the snow—her rear and kicking feet the only thing exposed to their eyes. Somehow, she managed to hear her name loud enough to remove herself from her work. She inched out of the ditch, a thick layer of snow sliding off her back as she swung around to face them.

 

“Hurh?” She looked at them with a clump of snow in .

 

“I want to be in your team.” Mina wagged her tail.

 

“My team?” Jihyo tossed the snow to the side. She didn’t look like she understood.

 

“As in the next round.” Nayeon stepped in to explain.

 

“Ohh.” The leader nodded and her face lit up in a delighted smile. “Why thank you, Mina.”

 

“What are you doing?” Jeongyeon pointed her muzzle at the dark opening behind Jihyo.

 

“This? Watch.” The alpha instructed excitedly.

 

The three wolves watched as their alpha crawled inside the vent and disappeared underneath the snow. For some reason, she didn’t appear until at least a whole minute later as a head popped out of the ground about several yards away from them. Their leader had her jaw hung open and was panting in a proud grin. She apparently said something, but it died out over the distance before any of them could hear it.

 

“What?!” Jeongyeon yelled.

 

“Isn’t that cool?!” Jihyo shouted back.

 

“Yes, now come back!”

 

The alpha nodded before ducking back into the tunnel. Nayeon shared a giggle with the other two. “Why did she do this?”

 

“How did she do it?” Jeongyeon corrected her.

 

When their leader came back to begin the next round, Mina found her newly formed partner just as reliable as she was entertaining.



 

AN: Happy new year’s eve :]

I love the concept of Jihyo being a questionable leader

Like everyone respects her but sometime she does weird things and then everyone’s like ???

And she’s super annoying around 2yeon bc she is 3mix’s BABY

Anyway, believe it or not, Frost is coming to an end

I don’t know exactly when but probably at chapter 20 or around there

This series had gone so so far, and I thank you for letting me take you through this adorable journey

I hope you all have a wonderful and promising start to 2019