Ice

Frost

Mina was too good.

 

She might’ve lack the experience, but she was more than built to endure the daily exertion of a qualified hunter. She was equipped with everything she needed to succeed—adroitness, velocity, solidity. She was more than ready if her life in confinement had not left her a little clueless on how to use her skills. This was exactly where Momo came in. The lead hunter, though still a bit reluctant about even approaching the gamma not to mention training her, did not think much of their first session until Mina displayed her hidden capabilities. Momo took her on a mini tour around the hunting area, a walk that was short in both time and speech. The bluescale alpha had only said what she needed to say about their surroundings, but not much more since Mina was as quiet as a log the entire time. Momo recalled turning around a few times to make sure that the younger was still following her, because even the gamma’s footsteps were silent. Behind her, Mina would blink idly, amethyst eyes glowing and ears perked to point upwards. Momo would soon learn that despite her quietness, the gamma paid keen attention the entire time. Which, of course, came back to the point that Mina wasn’t just a capable student who could easily do well, but that she could, very much, lead an entire hunt when she was ready. She had her own style. Unlike Momo or Tzuyu, it wasn’t the type that relied on an incredible amount of stamina and brute strength. Unlike Jihyo or Jeongyeon, it also wasn’t the type that depended on steadiness and patience either. Mina’s style was entirely peculiar to her alone. It was a mix of everything the other four wolves used, yet unique in the way that only Mina possessed the delicate balance and quickness to toggle between the strategies. Her adroitness accompanied its complexity almost effortlessly. To Momo’s surprise, the younger’s robust skillset did not come with pride. Mina frequently listened and heeded everything the lead hunter advised her. They practiced with sticks, stones, and sometimes real prey. Mina, as expected, excelled in pursuing everything Momo threw at her.

 

It was not surprising that the pack had grown to like Mina in such a short duration of time. It had only been six days since she arrived, but the gamma had earned the affection of nearly all of the pack members. Nearly, because Momo still hadn’t been able to get used to it. It must be the numbing pain of her healing shoulder—a harsh reminder of their rough first meeting—that made her sour. She was trying, but stubbornness was both a tough pill to swallow and accept. Every morning started with her prowling out of the den, squinting as the morning shimmer hit her eyes. She yawned, stretched, and shook herself all in a span of two minutes. She would not allow herself more time than that, mainly because it would bore her. After that, her paws would move towards the direction of the hunting ground, a second nature it was almost. She could walk this path with her eyes closed. The snow crunched under the pads of her paws, and she tried to focus all her direction on it. There was laughter behind her that she was trying to block out. It had been only three hours after sunrise. Sana was acting like it was the middle of the day. Momo would never know the source the omega’s constant restlessness.

 

“Has Momo been a good teacher?” The alpha’s ears turned unconsciously to the direction of her name.

 

Mina replied, sounding genuine enough. “Yes, very.”

 

“That’s good. She’s a bit stiff, isn’t she?”

 

Mina only laughed softly, and Momo didn’t know what to make of that. She hated it even more that she was actually curious about Mina’s opinion of her. She cursed herself for even caring. Usually, reputation meant as much to her as a rotting dried bone. But this was Mina, the wolf who had been confusing and frustrating her beyond mental necessity. Mina, however, had done literally nothing. Then again, Momo didn’t have to think about her this much.

 

“Wanna hear a secret?” Sana honey-dipped voice managed to slip into her ears again. “Momo clears when she’s embarrassed.”

 

“Sana.” Momo turned around with a quiet growl.

 

The omega giggled and wheezed. She was leaning excessively against Mina. The gamma didn’t seem to mind, or maybe she did but refused to say anything about it. Mina was very polite after all. Momo didn’t think she had ever seen a wolf with manners before. What even were wolfish manners?

 

“You’re too soft.” Sana nuzzled her cheek into the gamma’s shoulder. The force was hard enough that Mina stumbled a little, still, she didn’t say anything but maintained her perfectly enthralling smile.

 

Sana only detached herself from Mina’s pelt once they reached the lower valley, quickly distracted by the sight of Dahyun coming out of the woods, probably returning from her early patrol. At once, the omega swung around to say a cheery goodbye to the lead hunter and her apprentice before bouncing off in the direction of the fawny fur. Mina smiled after her, showing no annoyance at all. She had adapted for sure and with every morning starting off with Sana clinging onto her shoulder, she must have become immune to it. Mina truly belonged here and even with her subsiding distrust, Momo couldn’t deny that. The bluescale alpha jolted at the sight of purple eyes peering right at her. She cleared , unaware and ashamed that she had been staring at the gamma this whole time. Momo flicked her tail slightly and led them further into the hunting ground. Mina jogged after her, trying hard to conceal the smirk across her muzzle.

 

If Momo was a type of ice, she would be those thick, sharp icicles that hung hazardously on the ceiling of a dark cave. From afar, she really did resemble such icicle. The bluescale alpha was perched on a snowy-layered rock. She sat sturdily with her back straight, and her nose pointed rigidly upwards to perfectly match the analogy. She was also very sharp, both in the actual pointy and alert sense. Her bright blue eyes followed Mina’s every movement, while her ears shifted in all directions to detect any noise that the gamma might make. Momo made sure to pick the most crowded spot in the forest for this type of training. She saw Mina coming closer in between the closely knitted evergreens. The gamma was dodging every rock and tree trunk with all her might, but it wasn’t an easy thing. Even for Mina, the most agile wolf in the pack, this kind of exercise was tiring. Anyone would find this exhausting, really. But it was exactly why Momo brought her here, the environment was perfect to brush up her stamina and endurance. Despite her tundra fur, Mina needed to get used to long chase instead of relying purely on her stealth. All of the obstacles presented here might not be in the open field but if she could run flawlessly while constantly turning on her heels, Mina would be more than ready.

 

Just as expected, the gamma returned with her paws dragging across the snow and tongue lolling out of her jaw. Momo’s complexion was neither sympathetic nor impressed. She doubted that it would matter to the younger who was more concerned about filling her lungs with as much air as possible. Mina raised a heavy paw and lifted herself up the rock. She was drained. Her white coat had a few pine needles sticking out of it, a sign that she’d struggled and probably failed to dodge the obstructing branches a few times. Momo’s gaze remained fixed forward as the younger flopped noisily beside her. The rock was not wide, and it was a little cramped for two wolves. Mina was forced to sit extremely close beside her. Momo had to dig her claws into the rock in order to ignore the electricity that sparked when their bodies clashed. Mina was slightly leaning onto her, and her panting was so labored that it almost felt like she was breathing right in Momo’s ears. Then, there was the warm but intense heat that Mina was generating. It was creeping under the alpha’s skin, threatening to break the cold indifference that she tried so hard to maintain. The gamma’s heartbeats also vibrated into her like an echoing bell. Momo sniffed in a hard breath, a last effort to collect her melting icy shards.

 

“Take a few minutes. You’ll be doing another lap.” The older instructed. Her voice was lowering at a volume where her anxiety was safe from exposure. She was tensing up and obviously desperate to retain her stern mentor demeanor.

 

“You make it seems so easy, Momorin.”

 

“It’s not.” Momo cleared uncomfortably. “Don’t call me that.”

 

It was a good thing that the alpha was avoiding eye contact, otherwise, she wouldn’t be very pleased to spot the smug grin on Mina’s face.

 

~~~***~~~

 

Dahyun should have known. This was a terrible idea, and she should have never consented to do it in the first place. Discarding the trembling state of her legs and the escalating probability that she would fall flat on her face, the beta scampered across the lake. Her claws scratched so hard on the lake’s surface that she felt like the ice sheet would just tear apart from the abrasion. When she was close enough, she took a hurried leap. Dahyun crashed gently onto the shore with the soft snow embracing every side of her body. She rolled on her back and closed her eyes.

 

“It was just starting to get fun.” Sana’s whine traveled slowly towards her.

 

Dahyun groaned as her eyelids fluttered open. She was met with a pair of warm chestnut irises staring down at her.

 

“It’s not fun if I’m daunted with the fact that I can fall and snap a bone any second.” She retorted with a frown.

 

Sana giggled. “Aww, you can hold onto me if you’d like.”

 

Dahyun wrinkled her forehead. Sana was great and all, but she was the last wolf to be trusted with this sort of thing.

 

“Come on!~” The omega yowled.

 

It wasn’t a good idea. This was never a good idea in the first place. After patrol, she should have just gone back to the den instead of allowing Sana to drag her to the frozen lake. She just needed some water but for some reason, the omega managed to lure her into skating across the ice. Sana loved it. Things were just happening too fast and before Dahyun realized what she’d gotten herself into, she was already losing her balance.

 

“Sana…” Dahyun began, a despairing attempt to reason her way out of this.

 

The omega wouldn’t force her. It wasn’t how Sana operated, and Dahyun knew that. She should have also known that the older wouldn’t give in so readily, but it was too late. Sana’s eyes were rounding as a broken whimper escaped her lips. The omega’s ears drooped wistfully down, and Dahyun knew she was doomed.

 

“Alright, let’s go back to the den.” Sana turned around. Never in her life had Dahyun heard the older speak that softly.

 

Sana had always been a flamboyant wolf. Her voice was loud, high pitched, and animated to match her equally expressive persona. She was also an omega, which meant that the natural desire for fun ran strongly within her veins.

 

“Sana…” The beta sighed.

 

Dahyun wasn’t moving. How could she? Even if she wanted to go home, she really couldn’t go back and pretend everything was fine. Sana had successfully cornered her with her broken display. This was unfair.

 

“It wouldn’t hurt to try again.” Dahyun mumbled.

 

“No, it’s alright. You’ve been walking around all morning. You need to rest.”

 

This was very unfair. “Sana, come on. Teach me.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.” Dahyun was honestly a little hesitant but seeing Sana’s face light up at the word made it all worthwhile.

 

The omega stepped onto the ice with surprising grace. She did not look remotely awkward even once. Dahyun blinked dumbfoundedly at her. Their omega, clumsy and often capable of tripping on plain flat surfaces, was skating across the ice like it was the simplest thing in the world. Her legs, stiff and grounded, did not tremble even once. Sana had no problem being adorable a few seconds ago but now Dahyun had to admit, she looked so damn attractive. Sana’s lips curved up in her usual dashing smile, and the younger honestly thought she was witnessing something sacred.

 

“Come on.” The omega beckoned.

 

Dahyun’s feet seemed to move on its own accord. She stepped on the ice, feeling her feet wobble again but Sana arrived quicker than her fear. The older was by her side, offering her a feathery soft shoulder to lean on as she skidded away from the bank.

 

“Slowly.” Sana whispered directly in her ears, and Dahyun felt her legs shaking again but it wasn’t because of the ice. “Look ahead.”

 

The beta obeyed. She locked her claws onto the ice and tried to glide forward. It took her a few erratic scrapping of her paws against the slippery surface, but she managed to gain a little more balance. With one paw after the other, she began to slide in a steadier pattern.

 

“You’re doing very well.” Sana assured her in the same low, comforting voice.

 

Dahyun didn’t even know what to make of this. Perhaps, the reason why she was doing so well was because she wasn’t thinking about the ice nor the fear. She was too distracted by Sana, and it amazed her how quickly the omega could occupy her entire mind. It wasn’t just normal Sana that she was concentrated on. It was this Sana—Sana right now, exactly at this moment. This Sana was different. There was something about the way the older held and led her. Sana was providing an overwhelming amount of security, not just physically but in her tone and watchful eyes that never faltered away from Dahyun. This side of their goofy, bubbly omega was unknown to the younger until now. Who could have guessed that Sana’s eyes—originally wide and dense with her robust energy—could narrow so austerely in concentration. Dahyun had been blind to all of this. If there were any doubts she had when she stepped on the lake, well, it was all gone now. They moved across the ice in unison, and Dahyun—completely settled into their rhythm—took the chance to glance up at Sana. The pair of light brown optics sparkled back down at her, glistering in a mixture of pride and something else that Dahyun didn’t quite catch. It didn’t matter. Whatever it was, it was likely very positive and the beta didn’t care as long as Sana continued to look at her in this way. Dahyun was in the spotlight of this calculating, protective, and tender side of the omega. This personality shift had been unexpected, but the beta wished it never disappear. She secretly liked basking under all this attention.

 

Dahyun was clueless of how much she was actually enjoying across the ice, until she lost track of time altogether. The first thing she noticed was that her paws—though had given up their awkward quivering—were starting to numb from the cold. They were a little firm, and she could not feel as much when she guided them to turn towards a certain direction. The second thing she noticed was that Sana was no longer behind her. She was skating all by herself which was a daunting realization, but she still felt the omega’s presence strongly next to her. The last final thing that she noticed was that the other serious side of Sana vanished just as suddenly as it came. Dahyun didn’t know when it was gone or even how long it was gone for, but it was definitely gone. The older was her usual self again. The cautious incisiveness in her eyes was now replaced with a playful twinkle—her signature glow, Dahyun would argue. Sana’s tail was wagging excessively, and she skated across the ice ineptly on purpose. It looked exceedingly dangerous for Dahyun, but she supposed from the omega’s happy wheezing that Sana found it very entertaining. She was growing dizzy from just trying to keep up with the older with her eyes. The lake was not huge, but Sana seemed just a bit far away for Dahyun’s liking. After having the omega baby her at every step on the ice, she had confided a little more confidence in Sana than in herself. She was almost certain that she wouldn’t be able to catch herself if she fell. The fear that she might break right through the ice grew. They just got here after all; no one had any idea how deep the water was.

 

Dahyun slowly turned her whole body towards Sana who was swirling around on the other side of the bank. She shifted forward and eventually sped up to warm up her freezing paws with the friction. It was an impulsive move for someone who was struggling thirty minutes ago with her balance. Yet, being uncertain and away from Sana was way worse. It all seemed fine until Dahyun was just a few feet away from Sana. She was gaining confidence with every advance until she felt a bump underneath a paw. Her body jolted forward violently. She stumbled, caught herself, but stumbled again until a familiar shoulder came to her rescue. Dahyun caught her breath and leaned into the fur like her life depended on it. Sana had been shrewd enough to spread her legs, securing them like four steel pillars to support Dahyun’s entire weight. The beta was very thankful for that. Sana’s austere face returned, darkening with concerns as Dahyun’s erratic heartbeats vibrated through her.

 

“Are you ok?” Sana’s deep voice returned.

 

“Yes, thank you.” The beta nodded breathlessly.

 

A bright shade of color on the ice glistered under the midday’s illumination and seeped into Dahyun’s eyes. She squinted down at the floor. There was a smudgy trail of red liquid that began at the point she tripped and ran to her current position. What she’d tripped on, now that she could see it clearly, was a sharp crack within the ice. It was tainted with the same red, a dark intimidating red that Sana couldn’t take her eyes off of also. The omega seemed to be in a daze. They both had one thought in mind, and it was the possibility of the liquid being blood. Well, Dahyun seemed to have figured it out. A dull stinging pain circulated around Dahyun’s left front paw and she lift it up expectantly. There was indeed a gap within her pad that was drenched with the same red liquid. She saw Sana’s eyes flicker and widen, genuinely concerned but perhaps too stunned to do anything about it. Dahyun slowly lowered her paw, ignoring the omega’s hard stare. Sana stood motionless. Dahyun had a sense that something awful was going to happen. It wouldn’t be about this mere cut that none of them were responsible for. Still, she felt and fretted under this blanket of uncertainty between them that spanned out for way too long.

 

A noisy breeze brushed by their pelts before Sana spoke. “Can you walk?”

 

“Y-yes.” Her voice was a bit shaken up, giving away her inner nervousness.

 

She was a little scared of Sana, maybe less of the wolf and more the things she might do in that solemn mode of hers. The omega pointed her muzzle to the direction of the bank, and Dahyun nodded. She followed silently when Sana escorted her back, feeling even weaker on top of the slippery ice. She was limping slightly, despite the cut not being anything extreme. Surely, she had seen the worst of the wild from all her life of just living in it. The hecticness of her old pack was also nothing friendlier than the wrath of Mother Nature. She used to be Chaeyoung’s steel column and arch after all. And she’d paid the price dearly for it, if not with a few scratches then perhaps with her whole shoulder torn off to the bone. She remembered losing so much blood that she’d passed out cold. But she was blessed, because Chaeyoung had been a studious student of their medic and knew exactly what to do. Dahyun had been lucky that she was cared for immediately. Standing up for Chaeyoung was probably the most radical thing she’d done in that pack.

 

“I’ll carry you.” Sana said, more like demanded but Dahyun couldn’t distinguish her tone anymore under the gruffness of her voice.

 

“No.” The younger instinctively denied. She could walk, really. It would take her a while, but it was honestly just a cut. She couldn’t even feel the pain anyways since her feet were so numb from the ice.

 

“No, come on.”

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

“Dahyun.” Sana narrowed her eyes. It was a command, and Dahyun never thought she would be this afraid of an omega.

 

“No, I can literally walk.” The younger shook her head boldly. Her inner beta still persisted, and she refused to let the only advantage she had against Sana turn to dust.

 

For a moment, Dahyun really thought the omega would take more drastic measures like how her eyes—now darkened completely to an umber shade—was promising them. But Sana simply frowned in her usual omega-ish ways. It confused and distracted the younger who titled her head at a slight angle to the right. Dahyun didn’t have time to grasp what happened next nor understand whether the frown was just a trick, because Sana had crawled under her belly before she could blink. Being taller, it was quite easy for Sana to raise Dahyun up from her shoulders. The beta was also light enough that, once secured on her back, the older started walking back to the higher valley immediately. Dahyun—though totally disapproving of this—remained silent the entire hike up the snowy slope. This Sana was different, she’d learned, and should be dealt with more precautions than her normal self. The older had demonstrated this steadfastness to her that would be difficult to rival out of the blue. It was no use arguing with her now. Dahyun was already on her back—her paws were sore so she didn’t really mind—and Sana had set an obvious, direct course to the infirmary. When they neared the small cave, Dahyun felt a jumble words scratching up . They were in Chaeyoung’s domain now and as her good friend, Dahyun really should get a chance to say something. Yet, she was muted by the now strangely dominating older omega.

 

“I’m going to stay with you until you’re all patched up.” Sana asserted with too much confidence for Dahyun’s liking.

 

She really really didn’t understand and still wasn’t able to utter a single word to assure the omega. She assumed it wouldn’t change anything anyway. Amidst the chaotic tides of her thoughts and feelings, Dahyun couldn’t help being incredibly drawn to this other side of their quirky omega.



 

AN: I’m amazed that I actually made two wolves skate

It’s been such a drought

Thank you for always keeping up with these erratic updates and being incredibly supportive every chapter (I mean it!)

I honestly do not deserve :<