Encounter

Frost

Winter came early this year. The temperature dropped below freezing in just four hours. Snowfalls began to flood the Ivic region until the entire landscape was completely drowned in white. The sky grew grayer and daylight became limited. With creeks frozen and trees burdened with the heavy coat of snow on their branches, wildlife within the region began to panic. Large herbivores hastened to make their migration while hibernators scurried to hide themselves away from the winter chills. The Ivic Territory was trapped in an atmosphere full of urgency and turmoil. Predators grew more desperate due to the decreasing number of prey, but standing among them was one powerful she-wolf. Though she shared the same struggle as any other predator, her luck seemed to never end.

 

She was a lone wolf, wandering near the Beartooth mountain range to the east of the Ivic region. Her large eyes glowed a majestic emerald green, and she wore a rocky tawny coat—a delicate mixture of gray, brown, and white. She was three years old with two minor scars decorating her left thigh, reflecting her advanced fighting experiences in the wild. Jihyo was her name, and she had searched two seasons now for a new home. As the prey population shrank, she was left with no choice but to head west.

 

At dawn, Jihyo was lucky enough to catch a small rabbit for breakfast. The kill was slim and didn’t make much of a meal, but it wasn’t like she could complain. With the meat dangling in her jaw, Jihyo carried it into the cover of the trees. When she was sheltered by the shades of the grove, her fangs dove straight into the soft belly of the kill. Warm blood filled as she chewed on the tender flesh, swallowing quick but satisfying bites. Her powerful jaw effectively ripped and tore the rabbit, separating muscles from bones in less than a few minutes. The hair on her back rose at a lofty angle as she was hunched over, a defensive position that enlarged her body size to scare off a possible thief. She fed for about thirty minutes, leaving little to no meat uneaten. Satisfied but not fully sated, Jihyo her chops before abandoning the leftover bones for the ravens.

 

While exiting the forest area and back into the snowy field, she was hit with a sudden wave of lethargy, perhaps because of the digesting meal. Her paws were sore from all the exercising she’d done—from locating the bunny to chasing it—and the morning frost only add onto her weariness. On the corner of her eyes, she spotted a rather flat rock a few feet away. It was lodged on a high slope in the field, a few feet near the frozen riverbank. The Ivic river was a winding waterway that dispersed itself across the region, connecting different territories and leading their water back to the sea to the north. Jihyo frowned slightly at the mini hill that she needed to climb in order to get up to the rock, but the lingering taste of blood in fueled her onward. She worked hard this morning, so a short nap should do her no harm.

 

Around two hours into her slumber, Jihyo was awoken by a sharp scent. It was of another wolf, a beta female to be exact, and it was enough to send Jihyo scrambling to her feet. Her motion was so rapid that if it wasn’t for the grip of her claws, she would have fallen right off the rock. According to her nostrils, the other canine was dangerously close. Still a little half-asleep, Jihyo blinked twice and shook her coat to free herself from the drowsiness. Once she regained a better consciousness, she scanned the pasture below to identify the stranger. The smell was quickly getting overwhelming, but there was nothing within her sight. Jihyo squinted and kept searching until the crunching of snow reached her ears. Immediately, she spun around on her heels to find the scent’s owner and bared her pearly white fangs in a vicious snarl.

 

The other canine flinched at the aggressive front and instinctively lowered its head in submission. Jihyo knew her advantage as an alpha, so she took small steps forward, teeth still visible. The other she-wolf, though older by half a year according to her scent, tucked both her ears and tail back, retreating as Jihyo came closer. The alpha continued until she was midway down the slope, stopping for a moment to reconsider the situation. The beta wolf looked harmless enough, but Jihyo did not understand why she was not running away. There was no kill here to steal, and unless she owned this rock—though the idea seemed outlandish because there was no scent mark anywhere—the stranger had no reason to remain. The tawny alpha had no intention to kill a wolf if it poses no threat to her, besides the harsh winter was already wiping out most of her kind. Jihyo quit snarling, but she was far from relaxed. The other canine slowly regained her normal position, hesitating when the alpha’s tail shot upright to discourage her from any suspicious intentions. The beta wolf crept closer and wagged her tail lightly, head dipping in respect. Jihyo was unsure of where this was going—it actually had been a while since she was this close to another wolf. Still, she gave the beta some credit for her boldness and fixed her posture to appear taller. The stranger was cautious but made no effort of retreating, nor did she seemed slightly threatened. If anything, it was Jihyo that was growing a little nervous.

 

“S-stop.” The alpha ordered when she realized that the other she-wolf was close to entering her personal space. “What are you trying to do?”

 

This halted the beta, and she angled her ears curiously. “You don’t look like a pack wolf.”

 

‘That’s not what I’m asking but ok.’ Jihyo stared sharply into the older canine’s golden orbs.

 

“That’s because I’m not.” The tawny alpha replied, trying hard to not sound awkward because she honestly hadn’t spoken to anybody for so long.

 

The beta chuckled heartily. “I see. That’s why you have a bit of the loner’s stiffness.”

 

“The what?” Jihyo crocked her head.

 

“Nothing.” The other wolf shook hers.

 

Now that Jihyo was close enough, she noticed that beta seemed to sparkle in the morning sunlight. Her fur was a sandy beige color with a tint of brown shading her underbelly. What stood out to Jihyo was the silvery highlights that outlined her back, running from the crest of her head to the tip of her tail. There was also some silver along her neck.

 

“It must be tough to be out here alone this winter.” The beta remarked abruptly.

 

“It is.” Jihyo nodded. “U-um, do you want something?”

 

The older eyed her weirdly. “No…”

 

“Then is there any reason at all why you’re here?”

 

“No, but I do understand where you’re getting at. I have a habit of approaching strangers out of curiosity.”

 

Jihyo blinked twice to make sure she was processing this information properly. Such a reason was quite suspicious but then again, she really had nothing to lose. She lived a free life without any pack, territory, or special valuables. Maybe this stranger was luring her into a trap, however, she was sure that she would definitely win a fight between them. She felt that a wolf this sociable must belong to a pack, but the beta wasn’t wearing any other scent aside from her own. She seemed to know where she was going, and she was too old to be naive which left Jihyo to question her intentions all over again.

 

“I’m a nomad and I tend to reach out to passerbys. Don’t be so distraught.” The other she-wolf seemed to have read her conflicted mind. “I’m Nayeon, by the way.”

 

“Jihyo.” The alpha answered.

 

Though it did sound bizzare, it made sense to build connections to aid one’s survival in this frigid winter. Actually, Jihyo thought it was a pretty neat trategy.

 

“So, you also don’t have a pack?” The younger tried to confirm.

 

Nayeon turned to walk down the slope and for some reason, Jihyo followed. “Nope. I’m nomadic enough to not belong to any, however, I do take refuge in friendly packs if desperate occasions arise.”

 

“That’s what approaching random strangers are for, huh?”

 

“Well, that’s one way to look at it.” Nayeon laughed. “It’s nicer to face the world with friends.”

 

“That is just super hypercritical to what you just told me.”

 

“Well, I am a complex creature.” The beta simply flicked her tail and galloped towards the river.

 

It was strange for a loner like Jihyo to be wasting her time talking to this even stranger wolf. But then again, Nayeon did have a very attractive personality. Her smile was pleasant and overall, she was a very friendly wolf. Even her walk gave such an energy that it made her look ten times younger than her actual age. A peculiar creature indeed.

 

“Are you planning to go somewhere?” Nayeon stopped by the riverbank.

 

“West. I don’t really know what’s there, but it’s worth a try.”

 

“You’re off exploring? So, you haven’t been a loner all your life? Is it because of some twisted backstory?”

 

Jihyo snorted. “Not really. It’s been roughly a year since I set foot out of Hesterfield.”

 

“Ah, you’re from the south? You’re a city wolf?”

 

“No, but I have seen hunters.” The alpha’s eyes turned grim, and she hoped Nayeon didn’t catch that.

 

“Humans take plenty of things from us. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ruined your family.” Unfortunately, the beta read her mind again and even went to correctly predict her past.

 

“They killed my parents, which left me to care for five other pups. Then, I guess they decided to leave too.” Jihyo’s voice darkened, and she finished with a low growl.

 

Nayeon gazed at her with soft golden eyes that seemed to glow like gentle sun rays. There was sympathy in her eyes, and the alpha didn’t know why, but it was very comforting.

 

“I’m sure they all lead great lives.” The beta’s voice was clear yet soft. “They grew up with a great wolf.”

 

Jihyo took the compliment to heart, but it was odd that she’d shared her family sorrow with total a stranger whom she just met five minutes ago. Nevertheless, she shrugged it off as one of the many unexplainable phenomenons of life. Next to her, Nayeon leaped onto the ice sheet covering the river with her front legs, cracking a hole as her feet went through. She quickly yanked her wet paws out, then lapped up the frosty water.

 

“I do encourage you to head north. There’s a valley lodged within the mountains. If you have keen eyes, you might be able to find the way into it.” Nayeon informed at her final gulp.

 

“What do I need there?”

 

“Well, it’s a fine place. A secure and defensive spot that makes a good home for a pack.”

 

“Do I look like I need a pack?”

 

“No, but you do look like you’re capable of leading one.” Nayeon winked. “Take it how you want it, but I’m just putting it out there. Adventure is good once in a while.”

 

“Well, I have other things to worry about like my survival. I’m not going to risk my life for fun.”

 

“Fair enough.”

 

Jihyo looked at the older wolf, then down at the water in the ice hole. She stared at herself for a few seconds before bursting out a dry laughter.

 

“I’m just saying.” Nayeon reminded and shrugged.

~~***~~

 

Dusk soon came when the sun was nearly halfway down the horizon, signaling the end of another day. Wind speed increased, and the trees shook with the same intensity that they were swayed, producing a chorus of rustling in the woodlands. Dark clouds piled in from the sea above the Ivic region, depositing a mild wave of large crystal snowflakes onto the landscape. On the eastside of Jayrock Territory, two wolves hurried to take refuge within the grove. It was warmer there and way better than spending the night out in the open tundra.

 

Nayeon kept her nose glued to the ground the entire way, sniffing so hard that she stopped to sneeze a couple of times. Jihyo eventually joined her, mainly because she felt bad for the beta’s situation. Nayeon hadn’t eaten in three days. The two had been chasing lemmings and hares for the entire day, still they remained empty-handed no matter their effort. Jihyo tried to formulate some quality teamwork between them, but she had to be honest that Nayeon wasn’t a very good hunter. The older had a hard time coordinating when the prey tried to divert her directions. She was too slow to regain focus, and her stiff crouching position didn’t help either. The beta was a messy hunter, so Jihyo quickly ran out of ways to help her. Despite the failures, all that hunting formed an interesting bond between the two.

 

They were now at the grove where Jihyo last ate her meal, and the sharp smell of pine trees was dense in the air. Nayeon let out another sneeze as they entered the forest, scaring away an unexpected ptarmigan hidden in trees. The bird flapped its wings frantically and took off, leaving the two wolves to watch with crushing disappointment. Nayeon shook her head with a frustrating guttural growl. Jihyo led them deeper into the grove until she found a cozy spot under three towering pine trees. While the beta scanned the area desperately for dinner, the tawny alpha made a convenient bed out of pine needles and a couple of sticks. The night sky settled in with a steadier wind speed, allowing the snowflakes to fall soundlessly down. The trees provided a good shelter from the snow, and Jihyo curled herself down on the makeshift bed with a yawn. She laid her head on her paws, peering out at Nayeon in the corner of her eyes. The beta was wagging her tail as she dug out some snow under a tree adjacent to Jihyo’s position. The alpha watched her friend with droopy eyes, but then Nayeon let out a piercing sharp yelp that shook her awake.

 

“What are you doing?” Jihyo uttered, studying the beta’s frantic movements as she shook in various directions.

 

There was no reply, which made the alpha even more confused. She could only lay there, watching as Nayeon’s body twisted and turned until it crashed back into ground. The beta looked like she was being pulled, and Jihyo wondered if she should help the struggling wolf or not. Fortunately, the alpha did not have time to decide, because Nayeon was already up from the forest floor with one excited tail. The beta turned around and jogged back to Jihyo with a wide grin. A chubby lemming was lodged between the older’s jaw, its limbs dangling off her bloody snout.

 

“Finally.” Jihyo chuckled, scooting over to make space for her delighted friend.

 

“Nothing a little patience cannot beat.” The beta commented, setting down the kill between her front paws.

 

She dug right into the meal without batting an eye at Jihyo. Her golden eyes glimpsed a desperate hunger, one that the tawny alpha knew so well. Her orbs were fixated on the lemming as she tore it to bits, barely even chewing anymore. Nayeon was beyond hungry—she was starving. It was quite rude to interrupt an empty predator in the midst of her supper, so Jihyo tucked her paws one more time and closed her eyes.

 

She wasn’t sure how long she’d been sleeping until a warm body shuffled next to her. One of her eyes opened, and she saw the beta settling down besides her. Nayeon plopped down clumsily, her chops then paws before curling up like her companion. Her muzzle smelled like blood, and Jihyo was suddenly reminded of how her rabbit from this morning was just a snack.

 

‘I’ll get something tomorrow.’ She calmed herself.

 

Suddenly, her sleepiness had drifted off elsewhere, leaving her wide awake. Her ears twitched when she heard the owls, then the crickets from within the depth of the grove. She shot her eyes opened irritably, shifting to a reposition herself on her side. The few snowflakes that made it past the tops of the pine trees landed on her belly, making her shiver. Off she went to move again, this time stretched out on her belly with paws crossed. That didn’t help her restless state either, and Jihyo pulled back her ears with an annoyed growl. She noticed—felt almost—a smile forming on the corners of Nayeon’s lips. 

 

“Something’s keeping you up?” The beta inquired.

 

“I just can’t sleep.” The alpha placed her head on her paws for the second time.

 

“Why not? If you sleep, you can dream of someone special.” The older winked.

 

Jihyo cringed and rolled her eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous.”

 

“No? Don’t you ever think of those things?”

 

“Think of what?”

 

“I don’t know. Meeting the love of your life, starting a pack, you know life milestones.”

 

“You have odd dreams for a loner.”

 

“I don’t want to be a loner all my life, you know.” Nayeon rolled on her back with paws on Jihyo’s spine. “I just want to spend my life searching for things like that.”

 

“I honestly don’t understand you.”

 

“You don’t have to. As long as you don’t kick me out, I’m fine with anything.”

 

“Well, whether you leave or not is your choice. I don’t decide that.”

 

“I’m just glad that you didn’t rip my tongue out when we first met.” Nayeon giggled.

 

Jihyo thought it was pretty endearing. “I’m not a murderer.”

 

“I know.” The beta faced her with a gummy grin, and her golden eyes glowed like stars in the darkness.

 

Nayeon flipped all the way, then got on top of the alpha’s back to at her ears. Jihyo moved her neck in an attempt to throw her off, but the beta only yanked playfully harder.

 

“Geez, just go to sleep already!” The younger whined.

 

“But you can’t!” Nayeon let her free. “Come, let me sing you a lullaby.”

 

“What? No, I’m n-“

 

The older was already starting to throw her head back and howled. Before Jihyo could think of stopping her, the sound of Nayeon’s voice made her speechless. Her pitch was controlled, producing a rich and most melodic song ever known to the alpha’s ears. It was harmonious but soft—the perfect lullaby. Jihyo watched the beta’s eyebrows narrowed before another gentle highnote slipped into the quiet night. Nayeon’s voice truly shocked her, not just because it was beautiful, but also because it was soothing. She became so mesmerized in the tune of the melody that she didn’t realize she was howling too. Their voices blended well together, not overlapping nor overpowering each other. There was a strange balance between them. Whenever Nayeon brought it too high, Jihyo would bring it back down again, creating this equal pitch that seemed to flow comfortably into the grove.

 

The lullaby came to an end when both of their mouths were parched dry. Jihyo her lips, settling back down with a weary sigh that came out as a puff of clear smoke. It was getting late, and the temperature was clearly dropping. Nayeon flopped down next to her, heaving in whiff of air. Jihyo suddenly made eye-contact with her, swaying her tail in a suggestive motion. The older took a little while to react, perhaps because she was quite bewildered at the gesture. Almost hesitatingly, Nayeon scooted over to lay beside the alpha. The share of heat was comforting, and her eyelids were lowering slowly.

 

“Are you going to leave in the morning?” Jihyo abruptly asked.

 

“Yeah.” Nayeon nudged her friend teasingly. “Why? Are you growing attached?”

 

“You’re unbelievable.”

 

The beta chuckled. “Will you miss me?”

 

“Nope.”