Chapter Two "Time Spent Wandering"

The Sun that Reached the Alley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alright it's finally here! To be honest I'm putting a BORING warning on this... you may not like it but it will be important one day so you have to read it lol. But if you're similar to me then maybe you'll like it. Anyways the final word count is 3143, a bit shorter than the last which is what I wanted, so please enjoy! Oh I almost forgot, here's a playlist of songs to go with my story over all, I'll keep updating it, and not all the songs will match all parts so if you want to listen to it, just skip through until you find a song that you think fits the story and how you feel! 

Songs for The Sun that Reached the Alley

 

 

CHAPTER TWO “Time Spent Wandering”

 

    Sunday. One of my favorite days. There was no particular reason that I fancied this day over the others, though maybe it was because the art museum was always discounted. Since I didn’t have plans or anything to do, it was ritual to visit the museum if I could. It helped clear my mind. There was some sort of special exhibition on for this month which I hadn’t seen yet so I thought I would go visit it today. Not wanting to walk or take my own car, I called a taxi while I ate breakfast, assuming it’d arrive at the same time I left my room and made it to the street. I was spot on.

    “Where are you headed mam?”

    “The art museum,” I began to respond. “Actually, the bank by the museum.” I added quickly. I forgot I needed to get some cash for the museum.

    He nodded and we were off. Today’s weather was practically a mirror of yesterday’s. The sun was just barely beginning to levitate above the peaks of cement and traffic flowed light. It wasn’t far to the arts complex—I was fortunate that it was on my side of town. I sat quietly for the length of the ride, preparing my card to pay. These things were so damn expensive.

I looked at my reflection in the window. My bangs were starting to grow out while the rest of my hair blended in with my black bomber. I probably should have worn a hat or something, maybe I’d buy one from the gift shop.

The car stopped and I swiped my card and exited swiftly without any further verbal exchange. Entering the bank, I scanned the lobby, the ATM would be a faster option so I headed to one of the several on the left. After quickly retrieving enough for the museum and whatever else I might have needed today, I left. Located about a block from me, the art center was a short pleasant walk. The sidewalks were still cool and the air damp as I made my way up the street.

Huge white pillars guarding the grand entrance identified the museum from the rest of the city as I approached it. Facing west, it was accompanied by fountains on both sides and extended the majority of the block. As expected there was already a long line, but I had an annual pass—which led to a line that wasn’t much shorter. At least the line would probably go fast. I stood behind a young couple, well not much younger than me. The guy had his arm around the girl’s shoulder comfortably, tickets in the other hand. I guess they looked happy like that, I wondered if they were together long, if they would stay together long, if I would ever be capable of a relationship like that. Was it possible? My future was invisible, I didn’t know what it held, or could be. Maybe I’d just waste away in this city like some rusty bike in an abandoned alley. Besides some money inherited from my family and the bar, I didn’t have much to my name, much to remember me from. Even then, the bar would be fine without me, they’d imaginably get my money and I’d be gone like I never existed.

Getting closer to my turn to enter, the line was moving—snapping me out of my thoughts and they soon checked my pass and I went on in to the counter to pay. Was it odd that I went to the museum often enough that I was usually familiar with whoever was at the desk? Today it was an old lady that always tried to make conversation with me in one way or another. Exhausting.

I pulled out a twenty and handed it to her keeping my head down, letting my bangs cover her view of me and praying for a quiet exchange. I guess I was lucky today as she seemed to respect my lack of desire to socialize. She handed me my change and receipt with an endearing “have a nice time.”

    Defeatedly I replied with a “thanks,” which I’m pretty sure came out inaudibly, but I didn’t really have the energy to repeat.

I wandered to the section that looked like it was least crowded—the knights exhibit. Not my favorite but at least interesting. Again I found my reflection in every glass panel I tried to stare into, swords, armor, textiles, helmets, jewelry, and me. These artifacts had lasted centuries, people took care of them, they had a home, and then somehow there was me. Me who only seemed to have myself in the world. I took, well, tried to take care of myself, and the city was the only place I would even consider calling home. Maybe I preferred being alone, maybe I was supposed to be alone. I just didn’t want to feel alone.

    I moved through the wing heading to the next which was American paintings. I wouldn’t say paintings really peaked my interest much either, but they could be fascinating. As I made my way in, the walls transitioned into a soft lavender color, purples always delighted me so I was casually pleased as I passed through. I didn’t have any style or artist I particularly liked either, if I could see a painting and feel something or ponder it, then it was enough. I stared at one painting for a minute, what looked like a whale, or maybe a boat, was tossed in wave at a dirty golden setting sun, reds and blues strayed at the edges where it was torn up. As the quality revealed, it was old, from the 1880s, a scene from a novel. It was relatively small but stood out in my mind. Moving on to the next painting situated to the right appeared to be the next scene from the novel. Now it was quite clear that it was in fact a sail boat pictured. This time the boat was sailing perpendicular to the wind and you could make out two people on its stern. There was a single dark, lingering cloud above them, but it wasn’t threatening, it felt light and free. Fading more into a green from its original gold, this one wasn’t as aesthetically pleasing as the first but I favored them together as I walked the rest of the wing. Mixes of people and farms and foreign cities were expressed throughout the contents of the rest of the frames on the wall as I finished the section. I had spent quite some time at the museum after just those two areas and made a quick tour through the medieval art as I decided to leave. Stopping by the gift shop, I got myself a black hat with the institution’s logo to wear and found my way out.

    I texted Yuri asking if she wanted to get lunch together since she might be free, the bar didn’t open till later and I didn’t really want to eat alone. I walked up the street until I found one of the hundreds of “authentic italian” eateries that infested this city. By the time I’d arrived Yuri had replied asking where and I sent her the name and directions. She quickly added the three types of pizza she wanted and furthermore all the sides she “needed” to survive. I don’t know how this girl stayed in shape with the diet she maintained. After I ordered I sat down at a raised table, thankfully this place wasn’t too crowded given the hour. Shoving my hands in my jacket I found the ticket stub from the gallery and took it out, just staring at it, the timestamp showed the date today, the 17th. I had no reason to keep it but I shoved it back in my pocket as I had the option to throw it away whilst getting up to grab my drink. Sadly I chose water over any of the appealing flavors in prevention to a headache, though I hadn’t drank lately so I guess I would probably be fine either way. A few minutes later I watched as Yuri pulled up, stepping out of her taxi with her casual look: a white tank top and jean jacket, this time it was light blue. She truly had the looks—men, women, everyone was glued to her wherever she went. She immediately found me and took the seat opposite asking how long it’d be.

    “About 20 minutes,” I replied, checking the time on my phone.

    She sighed optimistically while taking off her jacket to hang it behind her before getting up to get her own drink. I was quite confident she was going to bring up Jessica at some point and I was dreading it, I left Yuri out of it for a reason, she really had nothing to do with me and Jess and I wasn’t going to drag her in. She came back with drink and a few napkins and I thanked her, trying to think of something to talk about before she did.

    “Where’s that girl you were with yesterday uhh Tiffany?” She asked first, surprising me.

    “She had to go, well you know how those always end,” I replied.

    “Oh——I thought she kind of seemed different …” she added.

    Tiffany was unique but I hadn’t thought she stood particularly out.

    “So what were you up to today?” I inquired.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter