Chapter One "TIFFANY"

The Sun that Reached the Alley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER ONE “TIFFANY”

 

“So you must live in a big luxurious apartment then right?”

I thought about my cozy apartment—modern but comfortable, suitable. Looking back to her, I asked, “Would you like to see it?”

She looked out across the city, watching the lights flash against the endless sky, almost like a reflection of the stars themselves.

“Where do you live?”

I followed her gaze, continuing past it searching east for a collection of tall buildings, a neighborhood I knew well. Lowering my hand a little, I pointed straight, towards the buildings, “around there, in the Tri District.”

Her eyes followed, squinting slightly to observe the far away lights and she stared deeply for a minute before turning to face me. The wind picked up her chocolate hair, carrying it across her face, eyes still sparking with the city in them.

“Will you take me?” She asked quietly.

I smiled. “Come on.”

We went back inside weaving through the party. I know Jessica saw us, but why the does she care? I was surprised she even came tonight since she’s usually busy with her ‘fashion’ brand. Anyways, I made sure to wave to Seulgi, she noticed Tiffany following me and gave me a look but nodded. The apartment was Yuri’s but she managed to get me a parking pass. We took the elevator down to the garage and Tiffany followed me obediently at a close pace, I don’t actually know how she got into the party but she was cute so I let her stay. I led us to my car, though usually I would have ridden my bike, tonight I didn’t want to deal with the weather, opting for the dryer choice.

 

“I love the city after it rains,” she said, sitting up straight, looking out the sides.

Is that why she asked me to roll the top down? When it rains the city just becomes dark and humid, what’s there to love so much?

“Why?” I asked with genuine curiosity, glancing over at her.

Breathing in, she closed her eyes and smiled even wider, “The light reflects on the streets, the sky is clear, the air is fresh, it’s, like a new start.” She explained thoughtfully, still looking out the sides.

Arriving at the complex finally, I pulled into my spot, number 309, and let Tiffany out. Together, we got into the elevator and she just leaned into the far corner watching me while I pressed the floor number, twelve. She looked exhausted but eager.

I asked, “Are you okay?”

“Just a little tired,” she replied through a loose smile, moving closer to me as we went up.

I let her lean near me the rest of the way, I barely knew this girl yet I also let her grab my arm on the way to the room, 1210, and she kept with me as I opened the door, allowing us inside.

“Look around all you want,” I said to her, my arm extending to the windows, not turning the lights on though, I prefered the dark. I followed her to the front.

“This is so beautiful!” She said while trying to take it all in as her eyes once again lit up with the city.

I smiled and chuckled to myself, this girl. I stood there a few minutes while she walked all along the windows and living room looking at literally everything. When she tired herself out, she seatted herself on my couch adjacent to the big window, asking if she could take off her shoes.

“Of course,” I said, then asking if she’d like anything to eat or drink.

“Just water, please.” She replied as I the kitchen light to get it for her.

I poured a small glass and walked back to her, her eyes grateful as she smiled brightly despite her obvious fatigue.

“I’m going to change,” I told her, already taking off my black jacket and heading to my room. I heard her say okay before closing the door.

After changing into flannels and an old shirt, I checked my phone, there were two new texts, one from Seulgi and one from Jessica. I replied to the former asking if I would still be meeting the gang tomorrow morning, I said “Yes.” I looked at the message from Jessica, it read “Tae… Do you know that girl?” I didn’t reply. Leaving my phone on my bed, I walked back out to the living room to Tiffany.

“Ahh,” this girl was already asleep? There was no way I would be able to carry her to my bed so I went to grab her a blanket. Finding an old pink one I never use and a plain grey one, I carried them back to lay them on her.

However, I heard her whisper, “the pink one, please.”

Obeying her request, I threw the pink one on her and smiled through the darkness, leaving the grey covering on the end of the couch incase she might have decided she needed it.

“Your place is lovely.” I heard her whisper as I reached my room.

“Thanks,” I replied. “Goodnight.”

 

~~~

 

    Waking up, I found Tiff lying on the far side of the bed, I had let her come in in the middle of the night so she wouldn’t be uncomfortable on that couch. I snuck out and got dressed, being careful not to wake her up. Heading out quick, I went across the street to the convenience store to get breakfast. It was a pretty day, the streets had dried up and the sun was reflected off the buildings, blue skies. I sat near the window by myself. Though some people don’t think it’s very good, I got the oatmeal because I love it—something about how bland it is: mixed with only a little brown sugar, it fit my simple standard.

    “Hey Taeyeon,” I heard from behind me, not needing to turn to know who it was.

Why was Jessica here again? She pulled out the seat in front of me and sat down, giving me a meaningless smile.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, not looking up.

    “I’m joining you guys today.”

    Silence.

    “Did you stay with Yuri last night?” I asked, trying to get through the last of my meal.

    “Did that girl stay with you last night?” She asked back.

I looked up. Her hair was a slightly orange strawberry blonde, she was wearing a black leather jacket and black sunglasses as usual, not her brand though, she was careful not to wear her brand around us.

    “She just slept on the couch,” I explained, “why does it really concern you so much?”

I sighed.

    “I just …” she started to explain, watching me.

    I got up, I had to get back anyways. Truthfully, I knew I had the desire to keep talking but, that would be foolish.

“We can talk later, I have to go,” I said, grabbing my jacket, and hurrying to the front to pay. I took some oatmeal for Tiffany along with a fruit cup, and returned back across the street, hoping to forget my tiring encounter. Eventually reaching my door, I unlocked it and started to walk in.

    “Are you up?” I asked, looking around for Tiffany.

A bright pair of brown eyes and a smile greeted me immediately.

    “Yep!” The already very awake Tiffany replied.

    “I hope you like what I got,” I said handing the food to her. She hummed and thanked me.

I briefly retreated to my room to get my phone and check it. There was only one text from Seulgi, saying to meet in about an hour.

In our “gang,” we weren’t really a gang, we didn’t do drugs, we didn’t commit high profile crimes, we didn’t murder anyone, we just stuck together. We always met at an old warehouse that I owned down the street, and though we did occasionally go on trips, the city was our home, and we always came back. In the front of the warehouse was the bar, a women only bar, run by Yuri and Seulgi, which I too periodically worked at. I’d lived here the longest, coming to the city alone, I convinced Yuri, a long time friend, to stay with me and help me out. When it was just us, we had our time together, but we worked best as friends and decided to leave it that way. While working at the bar, Yuri met Jessica and introduced her to me. Jessica was just finishing fashion school and didn’t have the income to live stably in a city like this, so I let her stay with me. It wasn’t long before we shared the majority of our time together—and a bed. However, after she finished her school and started her brand she had to spend so much time working. And once her brand hit it big; she had to abandon us, she couldn’t afford a scandal. I thought it wouldn’t be hard to leave her behind, and I’ve been saying that since. But since a few years, her brand has settled and she’s found time to occasionally join the gang from time to time, usually just for a night or two. I guess she decided she was able to to stay with Yuri, and I decided I could stay with other people. I have yet to settle with any one girl since then.

I was curious about this Tiffany girl but I didn’t know how long I’d be able to stand someone with this much energy. I knew from when I asked if she wanted to see my place last night that nothing was going to happen, I didn’t get those vibes from her, she seemed differently innocent from most girls I met. In fact, I had never even seen this girl before, most of the people around here I knew, and had connections to through one person or another.

    “So do you want to come along?” I asked Tiffany, curious as to whether this girl would be sticking around any longer. I honestly wanted to get to know this girl at least a little more.

    “Is it alright—with the rest of them?” She asked cautiously, her uncertain eyes meeting mine as I returned to the kitchen.

    “They never mind,” I assured her, smiling.

    She watched me for a moment, just stirring her oatmeal. Her hands were seemingly slightly large in proportion to her body, a flawless pale—almost white color, fingers long and bony. While she was a few inches taller than me, she looked skinnier and fragile.

    “Can I ask you something?” She asked, one question down.

    “Sure,” I replied, relaxed.

   

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter