Chapter 6

Wolfheart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Playlist here

Hyemin never came back from the sitting room.

Jandi felt like a coward, hiding in her warm, fluffy bed with an ice compress cooling her cheek while nobody knew what had happened to the poor thirteen-year-old girl who had tried to defend her from Do Mansoo.

“It’s none of our business, Young Mistress,” the head maid said firmly when she asked. “Servants here don’t have eyes or ears, you understand? And even if we did, we certainly don’t have mouths.”

Jandi just couldn’t believe how stupid and naive she had been. In retrospect, she understood the men had only been mocking her, making a fool out of her by inviting her to join the conversation. She should have realized. Should have known the moment they laughed at her and reduced all women to the level of house pets.

I’m never going to be nosy in this household ever again, Jandi swore to herself. I’m never going to speak out of turn again. That she had to make that promise fostered deep-seeded resentment, because it felt like she was letting Do Mansoo and his misogynistic gentlemen’s club win, but the realization that Hyemin may have been abused, severely injured, or even killed because of her rash actions was enough to make her acquiesce. Mama would have slapped me silly for such an awful error. But Mama would never have taken a stick to her, not with the brutality and coldness her father-in-law had.

A knock at the door distracted her. Poking her head in, a maid said, “It’s Young Master here to visit you, Young Mistress.”

Oh dear. Jandi swallowed convulsively. Was Kyungsoo going to hit her, too?

The maid disappeared. The door swung open, and Kyungsoo stormed into Jandi’s bedroom, eyes ablaze and shirt collar haphazardly ripped open. “What the hell have you been doing while I was gone? I was only gone for a couple hours - a couple hours, dammit!”

Jandi cringed back in her pillows, unconsciously shielding her swollen face. He’s going to hit me, isn’t he? Pull out one of those horrible beating sticks and hit me?

The anticipated blow never came. Instead, Kyungsoo pulled at the arm covering her face, tugging it away. He let out a sharp breath between his teeth when the purpling bruise on her cheek came into the light. “Good God.”

Staring at him with wide eyes, Jandi felt her arm trembling in his grasp. He her cheek with a thumb, gaze drifting around to check the rest of her face. “Does it hurt?”

“Only a little bit. It’ll get better with time, I think.”

He cursed under his breath and dropped his hand. “Don’t look at me like that!” he said, frowning. “I’m not going to hurt you, okay?” More agitated than she had ever seen him, Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair and groaned, pacing by her bed. “Just… I don't... Why on Earth would you think it would be okay to ask my father about the rebel forces?”

“I’m sorry.” Jandi didn’t dare meet his eyes.

“Don’t say you’re sorry! Tell me why!”

Tears burned at the back of her eyes, but Jandi refused to let them fall. She didn’t deserve to cry. Hyemin had suffered because of her stupidity. Hyemin should be crying, not her. “I just… I was bringing the gentlemen wine, and they asked me if there was anything I was curious about, and I… I overheard their discussion and wanted to know -”

Kyungsoo sat down on a chair and placed his head in his hands. “Alright, fine.” He took a few deep breaths. “It doesn’t really matter, anyway. I guess this is on me. I’m sorry for raising my voice.”

“No!” Jandi burst out, appalled. “It’s entirely my fault! I was stupid and naive and shouldn’t have -”

“You’re right that it was naive of you,” her husband interrupted, “but I still should have talked to you earlier.”

“Talked to me?” She blinked. “What do you mean?”

He finally looked up from his hands. “How do I say this?” He sighed. “I’m sorry you’ve been dragged into this. I know the Capital and this family must seem strange to you, hellish almost.”

“The Capital is certainly different from Geumdo, but I don’t know about hellish,” Jandi rushed to say, not wanting to come off as unappreciative of her husband’s home. “The food here is great.”

His lips twitched, but otherwise, he showed no reaction. “I meant the political and social dynamic here. You’re just a tool for politicians here, nothing more and nothing less, and the entire household knows that.” Jandi winced. Not quite what she wanted to hear, but true nonetheless. “I get that it must be hard for you to adjust, and you never should have been injured here, not on my watch. But still, I need you to be more careful. Consequences here go beyond any one person; they’re heavier, more dangerous.”

“I’m sorry,” Jandi said quietly, thinking of Hyemin. Tears pooled up in her eyes again.

“Don’t be sorry. Just be careful. This isn’t Geumdo, and you can’t just say what you want here.” Kyungsoo’s gaze held her motionless, breathless, and for a moment, he looked like he wanted to say more before he looked away sharply. “Just… promise me you’ll steer clear of my father and all the other gentlemen but me. And for heaven’s sake, don’t bring up the rebels again.”

“I promise.” Jandi bit her lip, and her husband sighed, smoothed his hair down, and stood to leave. “But… Kyungsoo?”

“Yes?” He turned, eyes surprisingly gentle.

“I know it’s not my place to ask, especially not now, but… do you know what happened to Hyemin?”

“Hyemin?” His brow furrowed. “That’s the youngest maid, right?” At her nod, he frowned. “I don’t know. Why?”

“She tried to protect me from your father when… when… you know. No one has seen her since, and I’m worried.”

The look on Kyungsoo’s face was grim. “I’ll try to find out,” he promised, voice low, “but don’t get your hopes up.” Jandi swallowed and nodded. “Oh, and Jandi?”

She looked up, startled by the sound of her name. “Yes?”

“You don’t need to be so frightened of me. I don’t hit innocent women, no matter what.” His expression was unreadable, but he tossed her a jar of what appeared to be skin-toned salve. “And put that on your face. It… it won’t do for you to be looking like this in front of the Empress Dowager when she visits.”

Watching her stranger of a husband walk out the door, hair smoothed neatly back in place and face cool and composed, Jandi decided she had never been more confused by a man before.

***

“Her Imperial Majesty, the Empress Dowager herself!”

From her spot on the floor, head inclined in a deep kowtow, Jandi winced as her cheek throbbed. The salve Kyungsoo gave her had worked wonders for covering up the swelling, but the cooling e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter