Chapter 17

Wolfheart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Playlist here

At some point, Jandi dozed off waiting for the rebel attack to be quashed, and it wasn’t until a little after midnight that Kyungsoo shook her awake gently, tugging at the blanket he had spread over her while she slept.

“It’s over,” he said quietly. “You should go back to your bed to sleep. You’ll get a crick in your neck sleeping here.”

Rubbing at her eyes, Jandi maneuvered herself to a more upright position. “Wh - what’s happened?”

Kyungsoo remained silent for a moment. “Only what we expected.” Jandi couldn’t see him very well in the dark, but she could hear the catch in his voice. He coughed. “They should be done removing the bodies from the streets now, but you may want to keep your windows closed just in case it smells. It's been a warm day.”

Jandi swallowed. Bodies in the streets? How many were killed today?

The lights flickered back on, and Kyungsoo walked back to the loveseat to fold the blanket and drape it over the armrest for the maids to launder later. He didn’t look like he had slept at all - his shirt was rumpled and the creases had come out of his pants, but the hollow, bone-weary look in his eyes told all; he was clearly exhausted. The reddish spot on his cheek where Jandi had slapped him didn't help the look much either, and she felt a faint sting of regret. Maybe I shouldn't have hit him. I've always tried to teach my siblings not to use violence.

“I need to go to the palace again for a meeting, I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo said, rubbing at his neck. “The Empress Dowager must have gotten quite a fright from the attack - I don’t think this group meant any harm to her or the Emperor, but there’s no telling what ideologies copycat factions may follow. We need to discuss emergency plans.”

Not for the first time, Jandi wondered why her husband played such a large role in protecting the imperial family when he wasn’t even an official member of the Cabinet. Kyungsoo didn’t seem to be in the mood to answer such questions though, and Jandi knew better than to ask right now.

“Will you be back soon?” she asked, feeling like a child but not being able to stop herself. She didn’t want to stay in this big, empty mansion with only silent servants to keep her company, not after the day she’d had.

He sighed and rubbed his chin, where the faintest shadows of a beard were just starting to emerge. “Honestly, I’m not sure. I’m really sorry, but -”

“No, I understand. The safety of the imperial family comes first.” Jandi hesitated for a moment. “Would I - might I be able to come with you?” At his surprised expression, she rushed to continue, “I know it’s a strange request, but I just… it’s been an awful day, and -”

“Of course you can come with.” Kyungsoo smiled at her, a bit hesitantly first and then more warmly. “I’m sorry, it was inconsiderate of me not to think of everything you’ve had to deal with today. Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll be allowed into meetings with me, but I’m sure the emperor is… as excitable as ever and eager for company.”

Jandi smiled at the thought of the last time she had encountered the child emperor. As naughty as he was, Emperor Baekhyun was an adorable child, and spending time with him made her feel a little closer to home and her family. “You know, you never told me the emperor’s pet wolf is only a pup. This whole time, I’ve been imagining him as - oh no, Wolf!” She jolted, sitting up straight. This whole time, she had been so preoccupied with concern for her family and anger at her husband that she hadn’t even thought of the pup in the clearing. Was he safe? Protected? I’m a horrible person!

Unwittingly, she had said that last part aloud, and Kyungsoo shot her an amused glance. “Don’t worry, Wolf is fine. I have someone watching over him.”

Someone? Jandi didn't have time to ask who though, because Kyungsoo was already at the doorway checking his watch.

“I need to grab some fresh clothes first before we leave,” he said, glancing down at his wrinkled shirt. “Is five minutes enough time for you to get ready?”

Jandi smoothed down her own rumpled shirt and nodded. Her skirt was fine, so she only needed to change tops and pull on shoes.

“Good. Oh, and Jandi?”

She looked up. “Hmm?”

He cracked a grin, looking more like himself for the first time that night. “I'd bring a change of clothes if I were you. Emperor Baekhyun and Mongryong together are a force to reckon with.”

Meeting his eyes, she chuckled and nodded. Maybe I ought to bring two.

***

As Kyungsoo had predicted, the emperor was sprinting around the palace at top speed when they arrived, chased by a gaggle of exhausted-looking maids begging him to go back to bed. “Not bedtime!” the emperor insisted, clambering up onto a cabinet. “Not sleepy anymore!”

Kyungsoo shot Jandi a half-amused, half-pitying look. “Maybe you should have stayed home after all. It doesn't look like you'll be getting any rest tonight at this rate.”

Watching the emperor dodge the grasping hands of another maid, Jandi chuckled. “It's alright. I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway, and these poor maids could probably use some help.”

Her husband snorted. “Agreed.”

“Ah there you are, Kyungsoo!” Poking his head out of a room was an older man, bespectacled and greying. “Hurry along now, the meeting’s about to start!”

“Coming in a moment.” Kyungsoo turned back to her. “You're sure you want to stay? I can call the chauffeur back.”

Jandi shook her head. “I'll stay.” Anywhere was bette

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter