Chapter 20

Wolfheart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Playlist here

Raina’s children were odd, Jandi decided. Not odd as in having any deformities or physical strangeness about them - indeed, they were all very good-looking. With a mother like Raina and a father like Jeongmin, they’d hit the genetic jackpot with their long lashes and dainty noses. No, instead it was more of a feeling - they didn’t feel like children were supposed to feel, at least not by Jandi’s standards.

The three boys, as she had already guessed from Raina’s words earlier, closely resembled their father, especially the eldest. Their hair had the same unnatural sheen as their father’s, nothing like the soft waves of their mother’s hair, and their chins were set and stubborn. Even the way the eldest boy carried himself reminded her of Jeongmin; it was like he was at ease with simply existing, knowing he was well-loved and cared for by his mother and servants, not in the loving, clingy way of most young children, but in a more arrogant, presumptuous manner. Like he was the young master of the household and knew it.

I shouldn’t be thinking such awful things about a child, Jandi chastised herself, feeling her cheeks flush hot with shame, but I can’t help it! He clearly knows how to get his way, and that rarely translates well into adulthood.

The other two boys hadn’t come off quite as strongly, but Jandi chalked that up to their young ages. After spending only fifteen minutes in the nursery with them, she could see why Raina was so partial to her daughter, who still looked upon the world with clear eyes and babbled happily upon seeing her mother. In fact, the baby was the only child who drew a genuine smile from Raina the entire time.

The visit with the children hadn’t lasted long, though. The men arrived home soon after the lunch hour to prepare for the rally and dinner party, and Raina took one look at her husband before sending the servants with the children upstairs.

“Raina, what the hell are all these flowers doing here?” Jeongmin’s face dropped from its pleasant smile into a scowl. “I don’t like having them in the house! Hurry up and get rid of them.”

“I can’t, your politician friend from Yosei sent them this morning.” Raina kept her eyes on her skirt, pretending to brush off some lint, but Jandi spotted the slight twitch in her lips. “Right, Jandi?”

Not expecting to be roped into the conversation, she blinked, then remembered what Raina had told her about playing along. “Ah, right! He sent a card too - didn’t mention his name, but he said you would know who he was anyway.”

Jeongmin frowned and turned back to glare at the ridiculously large floral arrangement in the center of the living room. Arms crossed, Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow and directed an amused gaze at Jandi. She flushed hot but, feeling daring after her day with Raina, arched an eyebrow back at him in challenge. Under his breath, Kyungsoo huffed and shook his head with a smile, pretending not to notice, but the sparkle in his eye assured her he knew exactly what she was doing.

He catches on quick, Jandi thought, suppressing a chuckle. Trust Kyungsoo to have done all his research and know about Jeongmin’s flower allergy.

“I suppose the flowers will have to stay then,” Jeongmin said grudgingly. “But we’re throwing them out immediately after the dinner party tonight.”

Inclining her head, Raina bit down on her lip. Jandi heard her husband choke down a laugh from beside her and sent him a glare. Don’t get Raina in trouble, Kyungsoo.

He was still trying to wipe the smirk off his face when Jeongmin turned back to him, and Jandi almost laughed herself at the deer-in-the-headlights look he embodied for a moment before settling back into his politician mask.

“Say Kyungsoo, we’ve got a few hours until we have to be ready for the rally.” Jeongmin smiled, baring a mouthful of shiny white teeth. “What do you say I bring you and your wife to the kennels next door, have ourselves a bit of a look-see? Some of the finest wolves bred in the Empire there, I’ll have you know.”

Jandi’s amusement evaporated. I don’t want to go! She couldn’t possibly go to the kennels now, knowing what Kyungsoo had told her about capital punishment here. Not to mention, it would be impossible not to think about Wolf back home, and that would only make her anxious and unable to sleep all over again.

Kyungsoo seemed to be of the same opinion - not bothering to hide a faint grimace, he shook his head. “Sorry, Jeongmin. I’m afraid I get a little nervous before speaking in front of large crowds, and too much excitement so close to the rally might be too much for my poor nerves.”

“Ah.” The disappointment was clear on Jeongmin’s face, but he shrugged it off. “Of course, perfectly understandable. I ought to go take care of some business before the rally starts, anyway. You stay here and rest.” He shot the flower vase another distasteful look, already starting to sniffle.

“Oh, you don’t want to stay home? The flowers do smell so lovely - I was just telling my wife earlier today how much they do to spruce things up this time of year.” Kyungsoo’s face was the epitome of perfect innocence, but his eyes were a little too wide, voice a little too pleasant for anything of the sort. Jandi tried to pass off her giggle as a cough, which quickly turned into a coughing fit at the face Kyungsoo pulled at her.

Jeongmin frowned. “No, I don’t quite like flowers myself. They - Kyungsoo, is your wife alright? She seems to be having a hard time breathing.”

“J - just fine,” Jandi wheezed, trying to look appropriately pale and overwrought instead of delighted. “It’s only that my lungs are having difficulty adjusting to the humidity levels in Namgu, that’s all.”

“My wife is very delicate,” Kyungsoo said with a grave expression. “I do worry so for her health.”

Now Jeongmin was b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter