Chapter 3

Hey you, Let's be friends.

“Did someone leave a letter your locker again?” Hyejin asks as spots Wheein hiding an envelope inside her textbook.

Catching off guard, Wheein nervously chuckled “ N. no..”

Hyejin knowing her friend better, grab the textbook and found the letter the girl was hiding. Inside was a typical hallmark stationary, with leaves design and scented with perfume. Atleast it was unlike the gaudy letters with obnoxious hearts design Wheein received before.

Opening the letter with no hesitation, Hyejin frowns as she read the content.

 

Wheein-shi,

Sorry to bother you like this but would you like to be my partner for the duet in our Music Class?

Kang Ming Hyuk

 

With Wheein fussing beside her, she thinks as she finally let her friend retrieved the letter from her grip. “Is this a new strategy? On a pretense of a school project, he’ll say he had fallen for you while that’s his aim in the first place?” Aggravated, Hyejin cuffs her friends face. “Listen to me Wheein, Do not be lured by this kind of things okay?”

Mildly pushing her friend “Ya! I’m not a kid!” Still huffing from Hyejin’s meddling. Wheein collected the books that fell when her friend took the letter.

“That Kang Min Hgyuk, He looks decent but he’s this sly!”

“Hyejin calm down, you’re causing a scene” Wheein embarrassedly pulled her friend to their classroom.

Once they were seated, “It wasn’t like that okay? Besides, Mr. Choi already paired us.”

“Then why does he have to send a letter like that?” The girl mildly screams

“Hyejin relax!” Wheein retorts in the same volume.”| was joking around and told Seolhyun that I wanted a solo, I guess he heard that”

“Is he gay then? He’s too extra to be a man!” Hyejin loudly whispers this time.

Wheein laugh too loud and Hyejin follows that their classmates began looking at them strangely.

 

Still pissed from the earlier debacle, Hyejin walks along the school’s hallway frowning. She was expecting to get home with Wheein early but their Principal had to call her for whatever reason it is. Hyejin mentally kicked herself for being so verbally eloquent. Granted that she's not the best student in the class and she was only kidding when she said she'll be the class president, but that doesn't stop her teacher to appoint her. She knocked briefly on the door and then released her grip on the doorknob and politely bowed before entering the office.

Seeing familiar faces, she gave them a nod and they smiled at her. With her appearance the Principal began explaining the reason they were called. Along with the other class representatives, they were tasked to arrange the books in the library which was apparently in an untidy state as the workers who cleaned the place ended up creating more mess.

After they were grouped, Hyejin and her partner decided to delegate the tasks. Groaning and muttering “forced labor”, Hyejin began to place the books in section 5 of the library. She hates the smell of the old books and the heaviness of each.

Her partner came pushing a cart full of books, both them were so focused on the placing the items in the empty shelves, seemingly wanting to leave as soon as possible.

After a deafening sound of silence the other girl breaks the ice.

“So, Hyejin-ssi, can I ask you something?”

Hyejin looks at the other girl, contemplating between answering properly or not. She look at the cabinets they still have to fill, heaving a sigh. Rather than to have herself dies with boredom, she replies “Sure, Jisoo shi”

“Um, first just call me Jisoo, we’re the same age after all”

Hyejin nods “You can drop the honorifics with me as well” then she began to move up the ladder as she place the books in the upper portion of the cabinet.

Jisoo smiles and decided to assist giving the books to Hyejin instead of letting the girl go up and down the ladder.

“Your friend Wheein, Are you inlove with her?” Jisoo asks as she transfer a huge dictionary to Hyejin.

Mouth agape, eyes wide, Hyejin looks around for any possible eavesdropper.

She looked again to the girl, trying to find the intention behind her question. It was not the first time that someone pointed out her closeness to Wheein, but nobody had ever asked if their closeness was to this extent.

Composing herself, she contemplate her response, seconds had already passed to say the punchline, or to pretend she didn’t hear the other girl. But even so, she doesn’t really know what to say. Thinking back, she did say that she have fallen for Wheein the first time they talk, but suffice to say, she did not meant it that way.

Her mind thought of the worst case scenarios, she doesn’t have any problem with homouality. But she’s already being criticize for being chubby, she doesn’t want to put herself especially Wheein to this kind of unwanted attention.

She tries to remember what she knows about Jisoo, she still can’t decipher her intention but she seems harmless enough, carefully she asks “What made you ask that?”

With a small laugh, “Sorry, that was forward of me. I don’t mean anything ill” Jisoo fixed her chopped bangs and continues, “It’s just that you two seems too close, you treat her different from everybody else, you dote on her too much”

“That’s because we’re bestfriends” Hyejin answers defensively.

Jisoo shakes her head, “How do I put it, I’m a bit envious about the two of you I suppose” She took another book “You two always seems in your own world, sometimes it’s like you don’t see anything else when you are with her. I personally don’t care of the gender thing, I think all is the same.”

“Still does not explain, why you would think I’m inlove with her. So what if we’re too close, we can be like that even without romantic feelings” Hyejin says as she recalls her actions.

It’s true that she and Wheein sometimes lives in their own bubble, but that’s because she doesn’t give a crap to most people and choose to only mingle with few decent students, while Wheein despite her bubbly demeanor is extremely shy and generally feel too awkward to befriend others.

Shrugging Jisoo responds, “Well, I’m no expert, but if one day and I found someone who would want to stick with me, I want us to be like what you and Wheein have right now”

“It’s really not that special” Hyejin murmurs but it’s loud enough for Jisoo to hear. The other girl just smiled in amusement.

 

Luckily, its weekend and Hyejin have the time to rethink her conversation with Jisoo in the library and honestly it made her become a bit conscious. She wonders what does differs her relationship with Wheein from the other people, How come one person would think that she’s inlove with her friend, or is this what the others thinks also? Would it be a problem if she was indeed inlove with the other girl? What would Wheein thinks?

Trying to arrange her thoughts, she realize why should she be wasting her time on this.

Maybe she have small feelings for her friend. Wheein is not bad to look at, she’s smart, she’s talented and they have great chemistry together. Whenever they are together, she always feel the giddiness inside of her that only the other girl can bring out.

Chuckling by herself, Hyejin dials a familiar number.

“Wheein, let’s go to noraebang today” Hyejin says as she thinks, Screw other people, they can do whatever they want. She’ll protect Wheein if it comes to that point.

 

 

 

 

“Should we watch Bring it on 1 or 2?” Wheein asks as she opens her laptop. Lying comfortably next to her is Hyejin who yawns as she adjust herself on the bed, “I want the one with Rihanna sunbaenim”

“We’ve seen that a million times already. Let’s choose the first.” The girl responded as she frustratingly typed her password again.

“Why did you bother asking me then?” Hyejin replies as she fiercely look at her friend, switching her tactics, she side hugs Wheein “Can we watch Bring it on 2, All or Nothing please?” Spouting her best cute face she could make.

Laughing the blonde girl agreed, “Fine, you open the site, I’ll make the popcorn”

But Hyejin protests “No, Don’t move”. The blonde girl laughs again and they proceeded to watch the film cuddling.

Minutes had passed and none of them were watching the film, the blonde girl was sleeping and slightly snoring beside her. As her left arm was trapped on Wheein’s back, she tentatively, began to lower the laptop sound volume before shutting it down completely.

Taking the situation as her chance to look at her friend, she began tracing the blonde’s facial features, she wonders when was the last time they were so close like this.

Snuggling closely, Hyejin whispers “Please wait for me, Wheein ah”

__

Author's Note:

Hehe, Thanks for reading. I'll make sure to finish this.