Chapter 1

Bad dreams and Bunnies

It was around 3 a.m when Gwiboon opened her eyes so suddenly. It took her some while to realize that she's still lying on her bed. Her blanket was no near to her so she quickly grabbed it and covered herself. She took out her trembling right hand from inside the blanket to switch on the table lamp beside her and again brought it back inside in light's speed. It was all silent expect for the clock that was tick-tocking so loudly that she wished there wasn't a thing called a wall clock in her room. All the scary things she saw some time ago came back to her mind. Gwiboon had been having bad dreams for almost two weeks. Everyday it was a new one. She was someone who rarely remember her dreams when she wake up in the morning. So the surprising thing was that she remembered each and every detail of all those bad dreams she had been seeing. She wished every night when she was going to sleep to not let any ghosts or zombies or murderers come to her dreams. But there was absolutely no use. One day when she told her mom about it she scolded Gwiboon saying that she should act like a grown up now and stop thinking about crazy things. So she never told anyone about her dreams again. She didn't wanted to look stupid infront of others.

That day, she dreamt of a stranger coming to their house at night and taking away Tiny, their cute little brown cat. Gwiboon hoped that she was strong enough to go to the kitchen where Tiny sleeps and check on her. But she was frightened to even step out of her bed. What if the stranger is still there? She thought. At times like that she hated her inner mind for giving her all sorts of creepy feelings. She tried closing her eyes to calm down herself. But things only got worse, leaving her no other choice but to open them again. Gwiboon was scared and frustrated at the same time. She had school next day so she was supposed to have some good night sleep. She stayed in the same position for a minute or two and since she couldn't think of a way to get back to sleep, she wondered if she should text to her best friend. Gwiboon knew that it wasn't a good time to do so, but she just wanted to talk with someone. Luckily she remembered that she put her phone somewhere on the bed when she was going to sleep, so while staying under the blanket she searched for it. It was quite a mess. After so much struggle of throwing her four limbs each and everywhere she finally found it. She switched it on and went to her messages and typed something. 

"Jinki, I can't sleep. I had a nightmare"

She kept staring at the message she was about to sent to her best friend, Jinki.

"Aish.. what am I even doing.."

She erased all the letters and placed the phone on the bed side table again. Being a person who didn't liked a bit to be a burden to others she thought it would only worry Jinki with such a thing. She knew that other than her parents, Jinki was the only one who cared about her. But she didn't wanted to see him worrying over her all the time. Like her mom said, a 17 years old girl should try to live more independently and be more matured. And that's what she was supposed to do. But how on earth could she do that with all the scary things creeping to her head at 3 a.m in the morning? She felt like losing every bit of courage she had been gathering up throughout her entire life.

It took Gwiboon another hour to fall asleep atlast, after having all the scary thoughts and so many remindings about the ghosts in the horror movies she had watched. She promised herself that she'll never watch a single horror movie again.

 

"Hey sleepy head. Wake up"

Jinki tapped twice on Gwiboon's head when he saw her dozing off and almost striking her head agianst the English book she was reading. She immediately woke up and straightened up her reading glasses while thinking about concentrating on her book for the fifth time after coming to the library. She was completely exhausted because of the lack of sleep. Jinki put down the few books he carried on the table and sat beside Gwiboon. 

"Haven't you seen that 'No Sleeping' notice there? You can see it just when you enter, right?"

Jinki said in a teasing tone while turning the pages of a calculations book. Gwiboon threw an angry stare at him and mouthed a 'Shut Up'. Then he suddenly stopped what he was doing like he remembered about some very important matter.

"Maybe I should tell Mr. Kang that you're again sleeping"

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH LEE JINKI!!"

She nearly shouted out loud and was quickly met with a glare of a furious girl who was sitting infront of her. She immedietely said sorry to the girl and put her head down to read her book again. She didn't even wanted to remember that absolutely embarassing moment that happened in the classroom during the English period when Mr. Kang asked whether he should bring her a pillow so she can sleep comfortably.

Jinki chuckled at his best friend. He loved teasing her and that was a big part of his daily routine.

"By the way, what's wrong today? Didn't sleep well last night?"

Gwiboon released a long long sigh. Jinki noticed that something was wrong.

"What is it?"

He asked again.

"Well... it's just that.."

Gwiboon didn't wanted to tell him about her dreams. But even so she wasn't able to make up a lie for Jinki's question.

"What happened? Did you had nightmares?"

She was surprised when she heard that word out of her friend's mouth when she was just about to hide everything from him. Then she knew that she shouldn't be doing that anymore.

"Yeah..."

She sighed again. Jinki saw Gwiboon's sad face. He became worried. She was his best friend, so he had the right to worry about her.

"Is it that bad?"

Gwiboon told everything from the very beginning about her bad dreams hoping so much that Jinki wouldn't make fun of her or scold her. But instead the young boy listened to her stories unlike others. So at the end she was glad that she told him everything.

"Gwiboonie, when you feel scared again, will you call me? It's ok if it's 2 a.m or 3 a.m or whatever the time it is. Just call me. Will you do that?"

Gwiboon was surprised to hear that. She was dying to tell that she'll do so, but deep in her mind she didn't feel like bothering Jinki that way.

"Is it ok?"

Jinki smiled at her.

"It's absolutely ok. So call me, ok?"

Gwiboon's face lit up after so many hours. She felt so much happy. How can someone be so kind and caring? She thought while secretly looking at Jinki who was then absorbed in a math calculation. He looked beautiful. More than beautiful. Her heart raised because of the beauty her eyes were witnessing. She smiled at him. Gwiboon knew that Jinki was the only guy in the world who could steal her smile that way.

 


That night also, poor Gwiboon had a bad dream. It was worser than the day before, or maybe all the other days. She was sweating all over herself when she woke up. She glanced at the clock. It was 1.30 a.m. She hadn't even slept for 3 hours. Her hand went to the table lamp and pressed button. But it didn't light. . She had completely forgotten to change the bulb. She felt ten times scared than usual since the room was so dark. She quickly slipped under the blanket. When she was thinking about thousands of ways to fall asleep again, luckily she remembered what Jinki said. So without thinking twice, Gwiboon grabbed her phone which she kept under her pillow and dialed up Jinki's number. Her bad luck. He didn't answer. She dialed up again. And again. And again. There was no answer. She knew she was wrong. How can she be so selfish to try to wake up someone like that just to calm down her frightened self? It was all wrong. She started to tear up.

"Ahh... I shouldn't be crying..."

Gwiboon wished she was brave enough like others. But she wasn't. Not at all. Trying her best not to cry anymore she again dialed up Jinki's number. She promised herself that it would be the last time. If he doesn't pick up, even if it's hard she knew that she has to think of another way to get rid of the scary thoughts that were controlling her mind. She prayed hard.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up, pick up, pick up. Please..."

She sobbed so hard. 

"Hello? Gwiboon? Are you there? Hello?"

Jinki's voice came through her phone atlast. But it only made Gwiboon cry more hard.

"Hey, hey. Gwiboonie. Ssh.. I'm here. You don't have to be scared now"

Jinki did his best to calm down her. He woke up hearing his phone ringing and was just about to switch it off, but luckily he rememberd about Gwiboon. When he answered and hearing her crying like that broke his heart into pieces. He was so worried about her when she told about her bad dreams. Jinki knew that she was quite sensitive, but even so would do her best to not to be. He always told her that it's ok and that she shouldn't hide her real self. So Jinki would do anything to make her feel better.

"Gwiboonie, I'm here, so don't worry, ok?"

"Jinki.. I had another nightmare and it was worser than any other. I'm so scared.."

She said while sobbing. She was just so relieved to hear Jinki's voice at that moment.

"I know. I know. Now, will you do what I tell you?"

"What.."

"Hm.. First, close your eyes and think of something that'll make you happy right now"

It's you. Gwiboon thought. She couldn't think of anything or anyone else that'll make her happy more than him right that moment. She only wanted to see his beautiful bright smile and hug him so tightly. She knew that recently she had started to see him more than just a friend. She hated herself for having different feelings for her best friend like that. But she couldn't stop anyway. Gwiboon had started to love him. If only he knew...

"Gwiboon?"

She realized that she had been thinking too long.

"Yeah.. Ok. I'll do so.."

She slowely closed her eyes. Just like she thought she could only think about Jinki. She saw him coming towards her with his sunshine smile on his chubby squishy face. He was more and more handsome than usual. She smiled so suddenly still with her eyes closed.

Gwiboon kept thinking about him for so long that she almost forgot that Jinki hadn't hung up the call yet. She quickly snapped out of her dreamland.

"Jinki?"

"Yeah. Hey, how are you feeling now? Any better?"

"Yeah. I feel better now"

She felt more than better. Gwiboon couldn't understand how Jinki can give such great ideas. In fact, he was one of those top geniuses in their entire school.

"So.. what did you think about?"

A bright red blush appeared on Gwiboon's face. It was you idiot. She wished she could tell.

"Bunnies!!"

She cheerfully blurted out the lie she made up at the last minute.

Jinki smiled hearing Gwiboon's cheerful voice again. He was glad that she had gotten better. Jinki knew how much Gwiboon loved bunnies. She was so much interested about them and talked about them a lot with him. It had never been boring for Jinki to have bunny talks with Gwiboon. He always found it cute.

Jinki knew that he should do something more to make her feel more better so that she could sleep peacefully again. He could only think of one thing.

"I'll sing you a song"

Oh my god, no Jinki. Gwiboon thought. She didn't wanted to bother him any longer. She knew that she was being too much already and that she has to let him sleep again.

"No, Jinki. You don't have to. I'm fine now. Really, I'm fine"

"You aren't. I know that. Besides, I know that you're dying to listen to me singing"

She rolled up her eyes.

"Shut up"

They both chuckled.

"Put your earphones. I'll sing to you"

Gwiboon was glad that she had her earphones beside her. She pluged it in her phone and placed the two small earbuds inside her ears. 

"Shall I start now?"

Gwiboon couldn't believe that it was real. Just the fact that she was going to listen to Jinki singing just for her made her feel like tearing up again. But she shouldn't. Because right that moment, all she wanted to was to listen to his voice.

"Ok.."

She finally said. In a few seconds she heard the sweet sound of a soft hum ringing through her ears. She closed her eyes to feel the absolute beauty of Jinki's honey voice. He started the song. Her heart started to raise. Just like the day when she first heard the transfer student Lee Jinki's voice when he introduced himself to his new classmates and their teacher a few years back. It was his voice that she fell for at first. That special, unique kind of voice that was very distinguish. Simply a sweet melody. From the very begining she knew that it wasn't just another ordinary one. It was certainly an angel's voice. And he was an angel.

After some while Jinki finally finshed up the last line of the song.

"Gwiboonie?"

He softly said. There was no reply. He smiled. He realized that she had fallen asleep. Atlast. Jinki sighed after a long time. He felt so relieved to think that she had finally found her sleep after all the crying and sobbing and everything. His heart filled with happy feels since he was able to make her happy like that. He always wanted to make sure she was safe and fine. And that never failed to make him the happiest person ever. He just wanted to be a pillar to which she could lean onto whenever she wanted and protect her from every bad thing.

"Good night, Gwiboon. I love you"

If only she knew...

 

Hello everyone!! It's not the end. Another small chapter will come later. So wait for it. Hehe.. Don't forget to subscribe and comment. Have a nice day!!