Chapter 3

FACADE

Irene is restless. Since her secret relationship with Wendy got exposed to her youngest sister, she knows she is . Yerim is the last person on earth that can be trusted with any sort of secrets. That kid will turn her world up side down to get what she wants. It has been 3 days since that fateful event and she hadn’t heard a word yet from Yerim. What is her devil sister is planning now? Torturing her? God damn her if she is.

 

“I thought my day was bad already but seeing your face I assume yours are even worst?”

 

Irene startled a little as her mind wanders off leaving Wendy by herself. Tonight was suppose to be their night. But she can’t help thinking about Yerim.

 

“Yerm. She’s not talking.”

 

“Is that a bad thing Hyun?”

 

“Everything is bad if there’s Yeri name in it.” Irene let out a small sigh as she one shot her glass of wine. Wendy can’t help but smiling back at her. Yerim is known to be the genius of the family but she is too carefree and a bit unpredictable. She can get her way around with ease by getting on the right people for it. So she kind of understand Irene’s concern over the matter. Yerim not talking equals to her planning of world domination in silence. Nothing sounded right. Wendy reach out her hand; holding Irene’s hand.

 

“We know Yeri. She’ll come around with the most headache request ever. Until then, I can’t eat dinner with my wife ignoring me. It’s hard you know.”

 

“Sorry. I have so many things happening right now. I’m so sorry.” Irene sincerely apology her ignorance as the words just slip up like that. She’s not the only one with her plate full off whatever; Wendy is too. But rather than getting her frustration out, her wife is calm about it. Wendy is just being Wendy. She put aside her troubles away from the people she love and care about. They have been together for 4 years now and not even once Wendy let out her frustration towards her no matter how bad it is.

 

“Hey, everything will be fine.”

 

“I wish Yerim is like Seulgi at times; minding her own business.” Wendy burst out laughing when Irene has that puppy kick look on her face.

 

“Well, I was reckless that night so it is kind of my fault too?” Wendy sheepishly said as she remembers how stupid she was that night getting jealous over Jennie. Irene raise a brow as she pulls away from Wendy’s warm palm.

 

“That reminds me, you know Jennie means nothing to me and she’s not even trying to get me.”

 

“I know. But I can’t help it.” Wendy rubs the back of her nape as Irene send all type of glares towards her direction.

 

“I mean even Seulgi said it. You’re so hot. I’m insecure, okay?”

 

Irene leans forward; propping her chin against her arm on the table.

 

“I told you but you never listen Wan.”

 

Wendy jut her bottom lips in attempt to win this argument; she knows she can’t.

 

“Do not give me that look Son Seungwan.”

 

Irene eyes twitch as Wendy fail to hold onto her cute attempt; giggling so loudly.

 

“I think I’m aging up. It was so easy to win your heart back then with my cute expression.”

 

Irene pinch Wendy cheek so hard that earns the latter groaning disapproval. Before Wendy could swat her hand away, she had quickly pull away. Wendy rubs her cheek. Her squishy cheeks are always her weakness against Irene relentless attacks.

 

“Hyun...” Wendy whines like a kid. Irene giggles as she stands up and walk towards Wendy. She wraps her arms from behind Wendy and kiss her wife’s cheek where she pinch at.

 

“Is it better now?” She said as she resting her chin on the dip of Wendy’s collarbone. She felt Wendy nodding before letting out a loud yelp as Wendy shifting their position; she landed on the latter’s lap and by instinct arms securely around Wendy’s neck preventing her fall.

 

“So much better.”

 

Irene face turns slightly pink, feeling suddenly shy; how close their faces are and how Wendy’s warmth feel so familiar next to hers.

 

“Bae Juhyun, I love you.” Wendy’s eyes spoken much about her love even without words but it is much better with words too. Irene untangle her hands as she slowly runs her palm down before resting in between Wendy’s chest and neck. She can feel her wife’s heart beating in a rhythm that always put her to sleep at night.  

 

“Even when I can’t be with you all the time? Would your love survive that?”

 

“Well, I have your pictures in my phone. I can survive.” Wendy laughed as Irene give her a hard push on the chest but she didn’t move away.

 

“I told you to delete it Seungwan.”

 

“I deleted all except the one you came out of bathroom. I’m keeping that.” Irene just roll her eyes as response. Wendy is a ert in hiding and nobody knows except for her.

 

“But seriously. Will you be okay?”

 

Wendy leans forward as she captures Irene y lips; indulging herself with how familiar her lips tasted like.

 

“I will never be okay.” Wendy murmurs as she on Irene’s bottom lips before finally pulling away.

 

“Do you remember what I said when I got on one knee back then?” Wendy gentle voice bringing back memories of their college days. Irene can remember every single day spent with Wendy. The multiple secret dates and multiple make outs. But her most precious memory was when Wendy asked her to be her wife. She remembers every word.

 

“You want to have a future with me.”

 

“I can’t have that future with you if I let you go. Once or twice a week doesn’t matter Hyun. As long as you will always be back into my arms, I’ll be fine.”

 

Irene kiss Wendy back just to tell her how grateful she is having Wendy with her. Their situation is up already. Sometimes she wishes that they never met. She wishes she wouldn’t bump into this freshman and help picking up her books. She wishes she had decline the freshman to buy her a cup of coffee for helping her out. She wishes she didn’t fall in love with the eyes that tells more stories than a mouth could. She wishes Wendy wasn’t there when she got so drunk that she ended up in the latter’s bed. She wishes she didn’t accept the freshman invitation for star gazing (she knows she’s a er for start gazing) that lead to them spending the night together in a motel because her car broke down and the way down take 2 hours by car. She wishes she wasn’t trap on her own lust that they spent hours and screaming each other names that night. There are lot she would have wishes didn’t happen but it did and she dive head first without knowing their life is going to be so messy like this. Irene place her palm on Wendy’s cheek.

 

“I envy my parents Wan. They get to show the world how in love they are. I want it too. I want everyone to see how happy I am with you.”

 

“Does it matter? As long as I know that you’re happy, I don’t care about the world.”

 

Wendy felt Irene other hand gripping hard on the collar of her shirt.

 

“Hyun, what’s wrong?”

 

Those worried eyes stops Irene from saying another words. Wendy already has a lot to deal with. She shouldn’t be worried about some insecurities. Not from her. Irene just smile as she peck her wife’s lips.

 

“I’m not hungry for food anymore.” Irene y tone did wonders as it distract Wendy from interrogating her. It was plain obvious that Wendy just swallowing so hard. She grins and the two top buttons of Wendy’s shirt. Wendy gaze didn’t leave hers as she slightly slips her fingers inside; touching the white pale skin.

 

“I’m hungry of you.”

 

They are in a cheap motel outside of the busy city that Wendy use an alias to book this morning. Motels don’t ask who you are. They just needed the money. She was even given a cheeky look from the owner when they both check in.

 

‘Keep it down yeah? Don’t want to wake up everyone else.’

 

Wendy close her eyes as Irene lips touch her skin; she felt the jitters as a part of her flesh got bitten. Irene wasn’t kidding about getting hungry for her.

 

.....

 

“Yerm?”

 

“Hi unni.” Yerim take a seat in front of the desk as she puts away her bag on the other free seat. Irene suddenly feels like the air becoming eerily uncomfortable. She’s her sister but right now she felt she is a devil.

 

“So?” Irene stops whatever she is doing as she knows the time has come for her to face her devil sister. Yerim cheeky smile is a sin for her to see.

 

“Let’s not play dumb unni. I saw you....” Yerim gaze moves up and down on Irene before continue.

 

“...and the evidence is on the floor. It was disgusting to caught you like that but I’m happy I did.”

 

Irene huffs despite trying so hard not to blush.

 

“What do you want Yerm?”

 

“Now we’re talking. What do you have to offer me unni?”

 

Yerim look so small to her right now that she can feel her sister destroy in her palms as she squish this little .

 

“I can raise your allowance. 500,000 won per week. Happy?”

 

Irene feels disgusted over herself to bribe her own sister. But she knows Yerim and she knows this is not enough. Yerim would have negotiate herself if it was about money. Bad news is she didn’t and Irene wonders what will come out of that mouth.

 

“That is a good bargain unni. I’ll take that but...”

 

“Don’t ask me to do things I can’t. Don’t push me Yerm.”

 

Yerim smile as she folded her arms not feeling a little bit intimidated by Irene at all.

 

“So I assume that I have to call Son Seungwan as unni right? Wan unni?”

 

“Where are we going with this Yerm? I told you don’t push me.”

 

“I want a day with Wan unni. Just the two of us. You’re not included.”

 

Irene can’t read Yerim’s intention at all. Why would she wants a day with Wendy left her baffles over this unpredictable request. It is easy to make it happen but the motive behind this is what worrying Irene.

 

“You can say no unni but I might slip the next time umma ask me where are you.”

 

This little . She sometimes wonders what did her mother eat while carrying Yerim? The devils fruit from hell? Convincing Wendy will not be hard as her wife would surely agree. But she has a bad feeling about this.

 

“Okay. But 12 hours max. Nothing more. You will not harm her in any way. If I saw...”

 

“I don’t want to end up in prison for killing unni. Chill.” Yerim cuts her before she can finish her sentences.

 

“This coming Saturday. Ask her to pick me up at school. I’ll wait there instead of home.”

 

Yerim pick up her bag as she happily bid goodbye at Irene and leave the office with a very worried Irene inside.

 

.....

 

“No Seul. Just talk to mommy okay? I mean how hard can it be?” Wendy didn’t know that baby sitting Seulgi can be this hard. She’s suppose to be eating her pancake in peace when her sister call her about baking a chocolate cake. She told Seulgi that she should just it instead but Seulgi refuse to do so and end up arguing with her on phone.

 

“I can bake it but I’m at office now. Watch youtube then.” Wendy distance her phone slightly away from her as Seulgi screams on agony over the phone.

 

“Seul, you’re 24 this year. You’re not going to cut your hand with a bread knife.” Wendy forehead crumble as Seulgi didn’t even want to stay calm at all.

 

“Of course you’re my sister. Why would daddy disown you over a stupid chocolate cake?”

 

Wendy exhale in silence as Seulgi spat out nonsense words. Sometimes she wonders if anyone would want to date Seulgi? At least she can get away from this.

 

“What?” Wendy almost screaming when her eyes caught onto the person that sitting on the empty seat in front of her. Whatever Seulgi just say now didn’t register in her head as her gaze following the person in front of her.

 

“Seulgi, I call you later. Bye.”

 

Wendy hang up as her eyes sending piercing stares at the person.

 

“There are lot of empty spaces around Jennie.”

 

Jennie looks around and nodded.

 

“They have but I want to sit here. You know getting into conversation. Trouble in paradise?” Jennie pointed towards her phone. Wendy place her phone down on the table.

 

“Nothing you should know.” Wendy answered while biting back her intention to growl at Jennie.

 

“We’re not friends. So I do understand if we just don’t talk but it seems like I’m pissing you off for a reason I don’t know.”

 

Jennie accusation almost caught Wendy by surprise. She didn’t even realize what she had just done. Jennie saw her expression changes so she probes on.

 

“We’re not even business rivals. So your hatred towards me is unfounded. So tell me Wendy, what did I do to be receiving this anger everytime you saw me?”

 

“None of your business.”

 

“They say you’re like an angel. I beg to differ. Or is it just with me?”

 

Wendy sense the question to be a trap question so she didn’t want to answer. Jennie smile is also pissing her off. If only Jennie knows that.

 

“I have to get back to work. Enjoy your breakfast Jennie.”

 

Wendy don’t think staying put is the right thing to do especially with Jennie. She might blurt out things and she might react to it. She’s not angry at Jennie for being Jennie. She’s angry because Jennie reminds her of the Bae’s plan on letting Irene marrying the Kim’s only daughter.

 

“Wendy?”

 

Wendy stop on her tracks but she didn’t turn around.

 

“I think you hate me because of Irene. I guess the rivalry is getting out of hands huh?”

 

Oh if only you know why Jennie. Wendy didn’t bother to respond as she makes her way out of Jennie’s circle. The faster she gets out of there the better it is for both of them. Wendy never hates anyone. Not even Jennie. It just that Jennie is a part of a future she didn’t want to happen.

 

.....

 

“This is such a bad idea.” Wendy reminding herself that Irene request is absolutely insane. Why is Yerim requesting things now? Wendy rubs her sweaty hands together. She’s nervous. She had seen and heard enough from Irene how Yerim rule the Bae household in a way that her parents gave up. Irene practically the reason Yerim is still listening. We dy jolted from her seat hutting her head against the car roof top when a loud knocking noise coming from outside. She groans and rubs the top of her head as she let the window down.

 

“Hi unni!” Wendy awkwardly smile as Yerim without asking get into her car. The kid eyes sparkling with intention; Wendy can sense it was bad for her. Yerim on the outside doesn’t look like an evil reincarnation at all. She looks like a kid with so much energy inside. Yerim turns towards her so fast that it startling Wendy.

 

“Let’s go!”

 

“Uh, where to?” Oh uh. That cheeky smile that Irene warned her.

 

“Lotte world!”

 

Wendy eyes widen. The place where all the scary rides are placed! Wendy shook her head disagree but smiling Yerim turns to grim Yerim that reminding her how similar this look with her wife’s look. She gulps hard.

 

“S-sure..”

 

......

 

Wendy never had the chance to babysit anyone like Yerim. Sure she babysit Seulgi all the time but Seulgi is the carefree bear; not the reincarnation of devil. Big difference. While Seulgi is gentle, Yerim is a rough girl. She pulls Wendy to every ride possible. Even the scary Gyrodrop. Come on, even Irene failed to lock her on her seat. Wendy screamed like she had never screamed before. Yerim finds it funny that she even drag the poor girl everywhere.

 

“N-No more..please..” Wendy even beg for her life as she holds onto the table not allowing herself to be pull anymore. Yerim frowns as she sat down. She’s practically stabbing Wendy with her eyes. Wendy shivered but remain unmoved.

 

“We’ve been riding for 2 hours. Please..let me go.”

 

“You need to be riding with me. Your 12 hours haven’t ended yet.”

 

Wendy shook her head protesting as much as she can. They had rode every thing in this theme park. What else left?

 

“Fine. I’ll tell umma you my sister. I’m pretty sure umma is going to lock unni down in the basement and you can never see her again.” Yerim blackmail Wendy as she pretends to dial her mother’s number. Wendy eyes widen. Mrs. Bae would do that? But then again, she might. She quickly snatch Yerim’s phone away.

 

“No. No. No. Let’s go.” Wendy gives up trying to say no to Yerim. The younger girl grins like an idiot as she pulls Webdy again with her. Gyro drop sounded good right now.

 

......

 

“That is a lot of food. Yerim is not even around to eat dinner.” Irene commented as she sat down. Mrs. Han smile as she place all the cutleries.

 

“Ms. Kim is coming.” Irene furrow her brows. Jennie is coming?

 

“Who invited her?”

 

“I did.” Mrs. Bae answered as she descend from the top stairs. Irene follows her mother steps as she reach the kitchen.

 

“Why?”

 

“Juhyun, I talked to her mother and it seems Jennie is still not taking you home for dinner. So I invited her instead. Jennie might be shy to start. You should have invited her instead.”

 

What? Irene felt like banging her head on the wall. There goes her mood for dinner. Jennie is not a bad person but she try not to give hope to Jennie for things that she knows would not happen. Irene saw her father in the living room watching television. She make her way towards him.

 

“Appa.”Irene purposely sounded a little cuter. Mr. Bae smile as he pats his daughter on the head.

 

“It’s not my call honey. Plus it is just a dinner. Nothing more.” Irene dare not to show her displeasure especially with her mother around. She knows her father understands her but he can do anything either.

 

“Ms. Kim is here.” Mr. Han announced as Jennie finally showing up. Irene sigh as she saw her mother greetings the quest. Irene didn’t want to listen to whatever thy are talking about so she excuse herself upstairs. Once dinner time, Mrs. Han will call her down. Where is Sooyoung when she needs her? The other little leaving her by herself. Irene sat on her bed pondering what should she do now? She want to call Wendy but she didn’t want to bother. Having Yerim is already a difficult task for Wendy.

 

“Hey?” Jennie head protruding from the slight opening of her door. Irene just give her a nod and she comes in; closing the door behind. She sit down next to the girl.

 

“I wasn’t aware that my mom set this up. I only knew today. I tried calling but you’re not picking up.”

 

“It’s okay. I was just a bit tired. Sorry I can’t entertain you.” Irene sincerely apologize. Jennie smile as she playfully nudged Irene on the shoulder.

 

“Your mom is already talkative with me. It’s okay. So am I forgiven?”

 

“iIt’s not your fault. Stop saying sorry.”

 

“Sure.” Irene light giggles is somehow making Jennie slightly calm. She didn’t want to bother Irene to be honest. But she can see the girl seems to be distracted.

 

“Hey, you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yeah I”m fine.”

 

“You’re not. I know you. What’s wrong?” Jennie really like Irene and she wonders if Irene ever like her back? But that didn’t stop her from worrying about the girl. Fiancee or not, Irene happiness is important to her. Irene gaze falls on the floor.

 

“I wonder if I can ever be happy.”

 

“You’re not happy now?”

 

“I am but at the same time I’m hurting others too.”

 

There’s a deep meaning to her words and Jennie is not stupid. This is not just some talk. This is the talk; about Irene herself.

 

“Are the others important to you?”

 

Irene slowly nodded. Of course.

 

“Is your happiness means much more than the others?”

 

Irene didn’t answer. The question lingers unanswered. Jennie try to wait but she knows Irene will not answer. This is how mysterious Irene can be. Jennie reach out to hold Irene’s hands in hers.

 

“When in doubt, knows that nothing is important than people who has been loving you since the start.”

 

.....

 

“Here we are.”

 

If anyone can see her inside brain, Wendy is actually celebrating her final goodbye with Yerim. What a day it was. But put aside the scary Bae Yerim, she do enjoy her tome with the young girl. She reminds her of Irene when she first met her; lively and so much fun. Irene is also a pain in the when she first started courting her. Just like Yerim.

 

“I had fun today. Although your old age is catching up.”

 

“Stop teasing me Yerim.” Yerim saw the look Wendy gave her. She grins.

 

“You had fun too. I know it. Admit it.” Yerim come way too close invading Wendy’s privacy but she said nothing inly leans back further.

 

“Okay! I admit. It was fun. It is even better if you don’t drag me around.” Wendy lips forming into a smile as Yerim happily nodding. Hanging out with Yerim wasn’t so bad.

 

“You know If I’m not mistaken, I think you resemblance Juhyun the most. You know Sooyoung is a bit crazy of her own but you just like Juhyun.”

 

“Of course I am. But I’m a more smarter than her.” Wendy just let Yerim boasting herself away. She even pat her chest.

 

“Thank you Yerim for today.” Not even once Yerim thought that she would have spent the day with a rival. One that her mother despise. But she has to admit, Wendy is fun to be around with.

 

“Naahh, we could do it again.”

 

Both of them break into laughter. But Wendy’s eyes caught onto two figures outside of the big mansion. Her expression changes as she saw Irene hugging Jennie. None of them saw her car. Yerim eyes drifted from Wendy to the two figures before back at Wendy. She slaps Wendy hard on the forehead earning a loud groaning from the latter.

 

“Ow! What was that Yerim?!”

 

“You’re jealous of them.” Wendy tore her gaze away from the two figures.

 

“You would too.”

 

“I would if I know that she has feelings for her. You know Jennie unni has been with us even before you came. If unni wanted her she would have her way before. It’s a wonder how you two ended up but I think it’s fate. Maybe god finally heard my prayer for this stupid rivalry to end.”

 

Yerim grins as she gets out of the car and leans on the window opening.

 

“Plus, I like you for her. You have my approval Son Seungwan.”

 

Yerim flash that cocky sinister grin before walking away leaving Wendy in awe. Bae Yerim is unique.

 

“Thanks Yerm.”

 

I cringe so hard writing this.