Chapter 1

FACADE

“Wan, come on. You already have the Vietnam’s contract. Appa is not going to be happy.” Irene desperately pleads as Wendy is giving her that look she’s know all too well. She climbs on bed as she hovers on top of her wife. Wendy ignored her and keep her eyes on her phone; typing her reply way to one of her sales area manager. Irene huffs as she snatch her lover’s phone away earning another look from Wendy. 

 

“Hyun, give me back my phone.”

 

“Pay attention to me. No work related in this bedroom.”

 

Wendy’s raise a brow as her lips tugging into a teasing smile. 

 

“And you’re not talking about work just now Hyun?”

 

She yelps in pain as Irene pinched both her cheeks.

 

“Okay! I surrender!”

 

Wendy rubs both her cheek that she’s sure is now so red. Irene giggles as she leans forward, trapping Wendy between her arms; their nose almost touching each other. She can even sense Wendy slumps deeper into the mattress trying to create distance between them. 

 

“Let me have the Dabace Farm contract.”

 

Wendy groaned in response as Irene trails her fingers along the edge of her jaws. Her wife is so good at negotiating that she finds it hard to resist. 

 

“You have to give me something else Hyun.” Her words almost stuck in when Irene runs the tip of her nose trailing dangerously hot along the side of her face. She gulps hard as her lover stops next to her ear where her hot breath did nothing to calm her heart down. Her whisper sent shivers down her spine.

 

“You have me. What else do you need?” Irene held her hand and let it rest on her bum earning a low groan from Wendy. 

 

“I might die before you get the contract honey.” Irene suddenly pulled away and slaps Wendy on her arm. She hissed in pain as another slap hit her upper chest. 

 

“Do you really want to die?” Another slap on her tummy as Irene move away from her to her side and pulls the blanket over her body totally ignoring Wendy. Wendy sighed as she rubs her sore tummy. Irene can definitely pack a punch. She doesn’t remember if her wife ever had a boxing training before. Wendy rolls to her wife’s side as she wraps her arm around the tiny waist. 

 

“Hey, I was joking. How can I die and leave you alone?” Wendy trail kisses down Irene’s back and hoping that despite the thick blanket, her sulking wife can actually feel her. 

 

“You already left me alone most of the time. We can only see each other twice a week and now you’re talking about dying. I hate you.” Irene murmurs against her pillow but she knows Wendy heard every single of her words. Wendy face break into a soft smile as she pulls the blanket away revealing her wife’s perfect body. Gently, she tugs Irene to face her. That soft smile remains as she saw Irene expression turns solemn. She understands her wife’s frustration. They can’t be seen together. They can’t even register their marriage. They can’t have a house together and twice a week, they can only book a hotel to spent time together. 

 

“I’m so sorry. Forgive me?” Wendy pouts as Irene cups her face and bringing their faces closer as she claims the lips that is always hers to claim. Wendy’s lips is as warm as her personality and this is just one of her favourite things about Wendy. Their kisses lingers longer as the feeling of missing each other grows for days. They both wanted each other warmth to wake up to but with their current situation, it will not be easy. It is damn hard. Wendy finally pulling away with that bless looks on her face as Irene eyes flutters open and she can see her own happiness radiating from the eyes of the woman she has given her heart to. 

 

“Love you.” 

 

“Love you more and..” Irene just watch as Wendy stretches her arm towards the bedside table puling out a brown file from the drawer.

 

“Here is the contract and my selling price along with our other competitors price. Do what you have to do Hyun.” Irene felt her eyes pooling with tears as Wendy pulls away and handing the file to her. Wendy smile as she place a kiss on her wife’s cheek as she takes her phone and set it aside. Irene takes the file and read it. The tears that were threatening to fall actually falls as she saw the figures. She thought the deal was for 3 houses like her dad had told her. But it was for 20 houses. 

 

“Wan.. I d-didn’t know..” Her mother had told her about the deals but not about the whole contract. She was not in Seoul the day Dabace enquiry were sent. Her sales manager did the deal and they lost it to SL Agro. Her father was pissed off and asked Irene to come back and handle it. But this is too much. Wendy didn’t budge from her position as she wipes away the tears from Irene’s face. 

 

“Please don’t cry.”

 

“This is too much. Why are you letting me do this?” She’s practically sobbing already and Wendy did the one thing she knows how to calm Irene down; hug her. She runs her palm down the older woman’s back hoping to sooth her.

 

“Because we love each other. What’s mine is yours, remember?”

 

Irene cries even harder as Wendy just let her do so. The contract is big and Wendy know the consequences of losing it but she also knows how much pressure Irene is put in to get the deal back. Her wife fell sick not too long ago when the board of directors blaming her when she lost one contract to SL Agro. It hurts Wendy not being able to take care of her wife because of it. So she promise herself that she will not let workloads hurting her poor wife’s health anymore. 

 

“I’m so sorry Wan.” Wendy just shook her head as she slightly pulls away creating distance between them. Her soft gaze and that smiling face are the things that help Irene goes through her week without Wendy to come home to. Wendy cups Irene’s face with both palms. 

 

“Get the deals for me okay? Now, can I make my wife stop crying by ordering her food? I heard this hotel have the best steak.”

 

Irene burst into giggles as she set the file away and gives Wendy a peck on the lips. Wendy grins like a kid as Irene hands holding her free hand as she dials the receptionist number. She receives another peck on the cheek as the line goes through. Rather than arguing over family dispute, both of them just want to spent the night together before they have to go back to the life that they are stranger to each other.

 

.....

 

Irene woke up first as her phone alarm blazing through the silence of the room. She quickly shut it off as her eyes looking at the time. It’s barely 4.30 in the morning and one of them has to go now. On other nights, Wendy would have been the 1st to get up and leave. But today, Irene feels like she should be the first to leave and by the looks at how soundly sleeping her partner is, she can concluded that Wendy is dead tired; Wendy just came back from Japan before coming to see her. She kiss her lips and let it linger for a few seconds before pulling away and get out of bed. She started searching her clothes that got thrown away and gather it in her arms as she made her way to the bathroom.

 

Wendy was jolted up as her phone ringing so loud next to her ears. She almost got a heart attack when she saw the right side of the bed is empty but soon calm down as noises of water taps running coming from the bathroom. She groans as she grabs her phone and saw her father name flashing on the screen. 

 

“Daddy?”

 

“Good morning munchkin! Did I wake you up?”

 

Wendy stretch to reach Irene’s phone on the edge of the bed and saw the time. She groans.

 

“Daddy, it’s 4.30 in the morning. I should be sleeping right now.”

 

“I know. Sorry baby. I just want to tell you that your mom and I is boarding the flight to Incheon. We missed you so much.”

 

Wendy eyes widen in surprise. She misses her parents too but why so sudden?

 

“Y-you’re coming back? How long?”

 

“Well you know how cold it can be in Toronto right now so might as well visiting you and see how’s the company is doing. I tried calling Seulgi but she’s not picking up.”

 

Wendy is rendered speechless as her father continue talking and she’s not even listening anymore. 

 

“Wan, where did you put my bag?” Irene voice sent mix signals to Wendy; first because she always love her voice and second, Irene probably didn’t notice that she’s on the phone. 

 

“Is that Seulgi? Why is she looking for her bag? Tell her that we’re flying back and I want to see her in Seoul. Not in some continent.”

 

“Y-Yeah. Sure daddy. I’ll tell her.” Wendy can only sighing in relief as her father didn’t want to talk to Seulgi or else she’ll be dead. She would also be thankful to the people making noises at the background that is making it hard for her father to recognize Seulgi’s voice. From the corner of her eyes she can see Irene cupping her own mouth finally realizing their situation.

 

“Bye daddy. See you soon.”

 

Wendy barely breathing as the call ended and her gaze landed upon Irene. That was too close for her liking. 

 

“Your parents are coming back?” Wendy was too occupied about the thoughts of getting caught that she almost didn’t catch the sad tone that layered along Irene’s words. Her parents back means not even twice a week anymore. 

 

“It will be only for a couple of weeks. We can still talk.”

 

“My parents are 2 hours away and we already resolved to twice a week. Who are you kidding Seungwan?”

 

Oh no. Not another fight. Seungwan gathers the blanket around her body before clumsily making her way towards Irene. The older girl already in a verge to explode. 

 

“We’ll make it happen. I’ll find a way to spent it with you. I’ll rope Seulgi in if I have too.”

 

She desperately came up with a solution that she herself find it hard to believe. Seulgi knows about them but the kid is too innocent for her own good. Irene runs her fingers along her jet black hair letting out a sigh. She didn’t want to argue anymore but the thought of not having Wendy around is something she despise.

 

“Hopefully. I need to go or people is going to notice.” Irene leans in and kiss her lips before gathering her stuffs. Before she left the room, they hug for a little longer; just enough for the warmth to last a few more minutes.

 

“Go back to sleep. You’re going to have a long day ahead.” She whispered loud enough for Wendy to hear. Wendy didn’t want to let go but she’s not going to make this even harder than it is. Goodbyes are not easy for them. Irene finally pulled away as she drags her bag and Wendy can only watch her walking out of the room and finally out of her reach as she turns around the corner. They agreed not to say goodbye everytime they parted ways. Wendy close the door behind her as she let her back against the hard door. 

 

“See you soon Hyun.”

 

.....

 

She had read it all. Wendy gave her everything that she needed. The only thing left is to submit and she for sure knows the contract will be hers. Her father will be happy to know that she had done it. Irene sent the important email to the client and pray to god that she will hear the good news by today. She slumps deeper into her cushion chair as her phone beeps. Her eyes catch onto the name and smile.

 

Just arrive at office. Take care. Love you.

 

Wendy has a knack of having the shortest reply any human can possibly come up with. She finds it annoying the start of their dating time but slowly understand why Wendy is like that; she prefers to show her care and loves in person rather than in text. Not even once Irene felt less love by her. 

 

“Unni!” She almost dropped her phone at the voice of Joy just bursting herself like it’s nobody business. Irene sat her phone down as her sister angrily sit down and forehead furrows signifying her angry state. 

 

“What is it Sooyoung?”

 

“Appa said I’m not good enough to handle a project by myself!”

 

Irene raised both brows as her sister huffs and show her the official letter from their father. She can only smile.

 

“Sooyoung, you’re still young. You should be happy that appa is giving you more time. I don’t have the leisure to learn the way you did.”

 

“But it’s getting annoying going to one training to another. Can you please talk to appa? How am I going to show my worth if he can’t trust me?”

 

“Do I have too?” She can’t help but teasing her sister. Sooyoung narrowing her eyes at Irene before puckered her bottom lips; a sign of trying to win her sister side. 

 

“Fine. I’ll talk to appa and ask him if he can let you handle a small project. Maybe starting with just equipment before you go onto building construction. How’s that sound?”

 

“You do that.” Irene chuckled lightly as Joy just enjoying her soon to be an achievement. But before she could continue her work, Joy palms slam hard on her desk. 

 

“Soon, I might get a heart attack because of you. What now?” 

 

Joy has that sneaky cheeky grin on her face and it is never a good thing. 

 

“So how’s Wendy unni? You weren’t home last night. Yerim is starting to notice.”

 

How can she forgot that other than Seulgi, Joy also knows about them; which she threatening her multiple times with it. 

 

“She’s fine. Next time tell Yerim that I had field task to do. She wouldn’t notice.”

 

“Unni, what do you take our Yerim for? She’s the ultimate satan.”

 

“I thought it was you?” Irene is laughing at Joy displease looks. 

 

“I thought I was until Yerim was born. That kid is too good for her ownself.”

 

Irene inhale and exhale slowly. She can’t handle her sister right now. It is way too early. 

 

“I’ll be careful and I will talk to appa once he’s here.” Another possible heart attack as Sooyoung jumps from her seat. Irene held on her chest cursing her dramatic sister. Thankfully the youngest isn’t here.

 

“Appa is coming today? Why didn’t Umma tell me?”

 

“She tried but you are too into your own world to pick up her phone calls. You reminding me of Seulgi.”

 

“Euhhh.. I’m not like her. She’s the epitome of a stupid bear. I wonder how did you even ended up with her sister a.k.a my sister in law.”

 

“Sooyoung, when appa is here please do not mention this at all. Not even a slip.”

 

“This rivalry is getting out of hands unni. Soon your happiness will be the reason of blood spills.”

 

Sooyoung knock on the desk twice with that sleazy grin plastered on her face. Irene just watch as her sister walk out of her office leaving her with her last words that is now occupying her head. If her secrets got out, there will be blood spills. She’s going to be the first Bae going against all odds. 

 

“Great. Just great Juhyun.”

 

.....

 

“Dad blocked my card.” Well there goes her calm and silence breakfast day. Wendy put away her utensil and wipe with tissues before finally gazing up at her twin, Kang Seulgi.

 

“Seul, good morning.”

 

“Daddy blocked my card Wan. How can I buy that aerospace ship now?”

 

“Aero what?”

 

“The one on the New York exhibition. The only model they have in this world!”

 

Wendy is smart and don’t get it twisted but Seulgi her dear twin is a bear with a brain of Einstein trap in her own world. Maybe that is why their parents put her on pressure to deliver as the only heiress for now. 

 

“Why would you need one?”

 

“There’s this kid in the orphanage house that really into aerospace. It will make her day if I can buy her one.” Seulgi’s eyes twinkling as she tell the story behind her obsession to get the ship shuttle. Other people might find her a bit weird but Wendy knows her twin. Seulgi will not lie to her. She took out her purse and get her card out.

 

“Here use mine. Dad blocked yours because they’re coming here and daddy didn’t want you to wonder around."

 

Seulgi’s eyes widen as her hands flailing around. Wendy cleared as people started staring at them. Like it or not, they are apart of the 50 most popular young entrepreneurs. 

 

“Seul!” Wendy hiss as loud as she can earning Seulgi’s attention. The arms stop flailing but hang on air. 

 

“Daddy did that to me?! How could he?!”

 

“Seul, I’m going to get headache. Just use mine. You get your card back once daddy is here.” Wendy pinched the bridge of her nose as Seulgi finally calms down. 

 

“Okay.”

 

Seulgi took Wendy’s plate and started eating from her plate. 

 

“You’re welcome.” Seulgi just shrugged it off knowing that Wendy doesn’t mind. 

 

“When will mom and dad coming?”

 

“Soon I think. 7 hours flight to be sure. Hey?”

 

Seulgi gaze up as Wendy calls for her attention. 

 

“Huh?”

 

“Promise me that you won’t slip about Juhyun at them.” Wendy’s warning tone earns a nod from Seulgi but she’s not convince.

 

“Seul, promise me.” Wendy place her hand on top of Seulgi’s. 

 

“Promise. I never slip before. I won’t slip now.”

 

“I just have to be sure. They can never know.”

 

Seulgi eat the final piece of bread, now fully giving her attention towards Wendy.

 

“Why did you even have to marry her? I mean she’s really a babe but we’re like enemies and her sisters are just satan.” Seulgi shivers at the thought of the two; Joy and Yerim. They are just bullies. According to what she heard. 

 

“Seul, you don’t pick with whoever you falls in love with. You just do. And I.. I love her. Really love her.”

 

“For 5 generations of Son’s, we don’t get together with the Bae’s. It goes way beyond hates by now. Daddy even puke the mention of their names. Don’t get me started with grandma when she was still alive. Here you are married to one. I always thought you’re stupid.”

 

Wendy’s grins as she flicked Seulgi’s forehead. 

 

“Yeah, I’m stupidly in love with her.”