Missing U

Pieces Of Peace

Dahyun’s POV

I am an unrequited soul named Kim Dahyun. After getting chauffeured by a Reaper here in Purgatory, I met Nayeon-unnie, who introduced herself as a guardian for me since I am one of the souls who have an unfinished business even after my unknown death.

I can’t remember anything from my past except my name as if every piece of my memory is locked tightly somewhere. Nayeon was trying her best to help me up, but days instantly turned into years that any expectations of me leaving the Purgatory was drained to nothingness. It’s not that I hoped for peace, all I want was to know my story. I was yearning to know the truth of my death and what type of person I was when I’m still a human.

In the end, I accepted the fact that I’ll stay as an unrequited soul with an unknown past. I lived it all fine … not until now.

When Nayeon rushed out her office, leaving me and Chaeyoung behind, I felt an indescribable vibe. It was alienic yet alluring that my curiosity got caught up next before I know it. Having nothing but to know what that feeling is in my mind, I run off without saying anything, leaving Chaeyoung behind in daze.

Trusting my instincts, I dashed up to the rooftop. The weird feeling inside me gets heavier and more mystical as I was nearing up. Soon after seeing the door of the rooftop slightly open, I barged off and was frozen on the spot of what I saw next.

Every lifeless fiber in my being came to life and a very fast flash of thousand scenes came into me as I look at a specific girl. ‘I remembered it now … everything … my past.’

“S-Sana?” I called out. “Dahyunnie.” That person called back. ‘Her voice … it’s still the same.’

She let go of Jeongyeon and slowly walk to me. Nayeon-unnie tried to prevent her but I stopped her instead. Giving a reassuring smile, I also walked forward to the girl. Once she and I are just a step away from each other, we stared on oneanother’s eyes as if we’re sending signals that only the two of us can understand. No words were uttered. Just silence between the two of us and the three near us.

‘Her beautiful hair with little bright red highlights … her brown captivating eyes … her cute nose and squirrel smile … nothing changed. It’s really her.’

“I’ve waited just like I promised, Sana-chan.” I blurted with a loving smile showing over my lips. Sana took away the space between us and hugged me, the dark aura around her flutters rather beautifully in my eyes. “I’m sorry if I came so late. I’m really sorry, Dahyunnie.” She whimpered while I hugged her back, the smile in my lips was still there.

“It’s okay, Sana-chan. At least you did came back, right? Just like your promise.” She sniffed and pulled away. “You’re not angry?” I just shook my head at her question. “When did I ever, Jagiya?” She brushed off the tears from her eyes and smiled brightly again before pulling me back. She kissed me and I did the same as my hands and arms sneaks its way around her waist.

‘How ironic it can be that even though we’re both dead, the warmth is fully present in our embrace.’ Right now, all I can only think, see and feel is her. My friends are long forgotten as my attention was all over Sana and Sana only.

Once we finally let each other’s lips go, I looked over her eyes lovingly. “I missed you so much.” She put her forehead over mine as she stared back at my orbs. “Me too, Darling. Me too.” Unlike her voice earlier when she’s talking to Nayeon, it was now sweeter and softer.

“I hate to break the moment between you two, but can you all explain to me what’s actually happening? Dahyun, this Sana girl was trying to kill Jeongyeon yet stopped because of you. I just wanna make sure if it’s safe because she’s a corrupted soul. She’s sided to the darkness, the ones we hunt down to baptize and kill off from this world of dimensions.” It was Chaeng’s voice, her face full of worry as she looked at me and Sana.

I then heard Sana sighed heavily. “Fine. We’ll talk this out. Ask me anything as long as you let Dahyun in my arms, ok?” Sana’s tone was almost monotonous, but I can fully feel her grip on my arm was getting tighter. ‘Her fingers’ are fidgeting too. She’s fearing of losing me again.’

I took her hand off my arm and held it over my hand instead. This made her gaze to me. I smiled. “It’s fine, Sana-chan. They’re my friends. I know they won’t think irrationally and hurt you.” She finally calmed down as I reassured her, my job even from back then.

We all go back to Nayeon’s office, locking ourselves there in case of any unwanted possibilities of other souliers finding us and Sana.

“Now, talk.” Nayeon said with authority in her voice. I softly squeezed Sana’s hands because I can feel the uneasiness in her eyes as she grits her teeth at the former. She sighed and looked straight at everyone in the room.

“As you can all see, I’m a corrupted soul. I used to be just a sinful unrequited soul, but because of my desperation on finding Dahyun, I mindlessly sided with the ‘Hollows’ when they invited me, and used the power they gave me to search the whole world for my deceased lover.” She stopped for a bit to look at me with loving eyes before continuing again.

“Following up the type of person I am in my past, the ominous power inside me was getting uncontrollable and it controlled me instead for a few decades, making me do some evil deeds that I never got to stop to happen. I just got a snap out of it by the help of a friend who also once experienced the same as I am. With the remaining power I had after getting my mind straight, I decided to search for the last place I never got myself into.” She began to tense again.

“The Purgatory? So that’s why you’ve able to enter such sanctuary without the guide of a soulier.” Jeong muttered under her breath. “Yes. And I did found her here which finally eased up my whole being.” Sana showed a slight smile.

“I just want to ask this since I finally have the chance to do it. Can I?” Chaeyoung’s careful words made Sana raise a brow. “Sure. Since you’re Dahyunnie’s friend, I guess that’s totally fine. What is it?”

“Are you, by any chance, got included in the ‘Soul Hunt’ that happened twenty years ago?” The question made me frozen. ‘That event…’

“No. The hollows assigned me to another mission. But I did have a lot of confidential information about that. If you let me be with Dahyun then I’ll give it to you … if you guys want it, of course.” Sana’s trade made Nayeon click her tongue in annoyance. “I don’t think that it was a bad trade, but how can I be so sure that you’ll be honest, huh?” The former spat without hesitation to intimidate Sana.

“I told you, all I want is my Dahyun. I don’t give a about those freaks that prolong my search for my love. If ever, I want to get back at them for tricking me! Those s sure used my body big time for their dirty works.” Sana answered, full of hatred. Her foulmouthed way of talking never changed too. I looked at Nayeon, signaling her that she can trust my girl.

‘Yeah, my girl. Minatozaki Sana … my everything back when I was still alive as a human and still is even now.’

Nayeon finally sighed before taking a sit next to Jeong. She caresses the latter’s hand while looking straight in her eyes. It slowly goes to her neck, tracing the light hand marks over her pale skin. “Ok. I’ll trust you, Sana. And after this … I’ll find a way to help you too.” Nayeon’s words made my eyes widen in surprise.

“N-Nayeon-unnie…”, “Yes, Dahyun-ah, I’ll find a way to baptize her soul without killing her so she can be with you again … as a normal soul. I can fully see the strong love between the two of you, and if this thing will make you finally find the peace your soul needs, then I don’t care doing anything and everything even if I might receive a punishment from the deity. You’re my friend, Dubu. And that makes Sana the same from now on. It’s a soulier’s job to help a soul to find his or her peace, and I won’t stop until I fulfill that duty.” I started tearing up from Nayeon’s declaration. She said all that without leaving Jeongyeon’s gave.

Sana let go of my hand and stood up. She walked to Nayeon’s side and hugged her. “T-Thank you, Nayeon. I … I’m really sorry for what I did earlier to your girlfriend.” She cutely said which made me chuckle.

‘Sana never changed. She’s still sweet, cute and very affectionate behind those cheeky cold personality, the badass girl with an odd touchy persona.’

Nayeon laughed at the girl’s sweetness. “Apology accepted. By the way, it’s Unnie for you. I’m also older than you, Sana-ah.” She patted the Japanese’s head while showing her bunny teeth. But then she remembered Sana’s last sentence. “W-wait! J-Jeongyeon’s not my g-g-g-girlfriend! I-I swear!”

“Geez, don’t deny it so harshly. I’m pretty awesome to be pushed away, you know? Anyways, it’s the same with me, Sana. I’m also older than you, and I’m the dad. The name’s Jeongyeon. And I already forgive you too for what happened.” Jeong-unnie winked and raised her hand for a shake but Sana ignored it and hugged her instead.

The former just let it be, but the bunny girl’s eyes twitched, completely forgetting that she just flabbergasted in embarrassment a while ago.

“Yah! Too affectionate! That’s MY Jeongyeon. Let go of her.” Nayeon, though still a little playful, shoved Sana’s arms away from Jeongyeon. “Haha! Since when did Hyung become yours, Unnie? Was that an indirect confession? Gosh, you jealous bunny!” Chaeyoung butted in and teased the oldest.

I moved to Chaeng’s side and high-fived her. “Guess they need to finalize their relationship and change it to married, huh? Mom! Dad!” I also teased which made the two older girls blush while Sana, who understands the situation, laughed.

The bunny kept on blushing as she pushed Jeongyeon-unnie and Sana off the couch to hide her face from us. Chaeng and I are already holding our aching stomachs from still laughing so much.

‘This is the best day of my life ever since I died. I hope it will last forever someday.’