Someone Like Me

Pieces Of Peace

Dahyun’s POV

It’s been four months since that incident or accident, whatever you prefer to call it, happened. I’m preparing for school now since it’s my first day of college.

After setting everything up and reading Jeongnam-unnie’s encouraging text, I finally left the apartment. I’ll be lying if I said I’m not nervous, but the excitement rush I’m having is greater than it so I’m in a happy feat as I skip my way to my new school. I’m already nearing the gate when I noticed a familiar silhouette.

That hair and body figure, there’s no way I’m guessing it wrong. ‘I’m a hundred percent sure that she’s Sana.’

I got jollier and is about to approach her when a part of my conscience suddenly stopped me. ‘She’s a dangerous person. You should not get near her!’ My thought yelled in my mind. My grip over the strap of my backpack tightened. My lips formed a line as I battled over the words in my head.

‘But I want to know her, right? I must not hesitate at anything if I want to befriend her. You’re already an adult, Kim Dahyun!’

After standing like a tree while staring to the ground for almost five minutes, I abruptly raised my head and took a very deep breathe. “You got this, Dahyun! You’re courageous and brave. BOOMBAYAH!” I let the weird stares of the other students at me be and just focused on my one and only mission.

‘Be close with Sana.’

Every step I gave out seemed so heavy. I know I’m already sweating and my armpits are about to cry coz of nervousness, but it’s now or never. Just like what they say, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!

When I’m finally behind her, I gulped everything that’s inside my empty mouth. My pale right hand was about to pat her shoulder, reaching a little high since she’s taller than me, when I suddenly heard her cold voice. “Didn’t I already advice you to act like you don’t know me at all, Kim Dahyun?”

It sent chills to my whole body. No, not coz of the coldness of her tone or even the fierce look she’s now giving me. The chills I’m having right nowcame from the contact of my outreached hand and her fluffy cheek that I accidentally touched coz of her sudden stop and turn. Even with those drop dead stoic expression, nothing can defies her very soft skin. For one second there, the thought of pinching her delinquent cheeks pass into my dumb mind.

“Yeah, I-I remember.” She then arc a brow. “If you do, then start scramming away.” She’s about to turn around and I don’t know if I’m possessed or something but with the next thing I did, I know it will be the beginning of the chaotic chapter of my life.

My hand quickly got a firm hold of her arm and my mouth just moved on its own. “How about no?” Her confused face greeted my serious one. “What are you talking about?” Her perfect eyebrows are raised as she look at me.

“I-I don’t really know either. I’m really confused myself but I don’t care. There’s just this weird thing in me that makes me want to know you.” Her pink lips became a smirk and her eyes turned sharper as if it’s about to pierce me. “You don’t know what you’re saying, Kim Dahyun. Don’t dig your own grave too soon.” There was a glint of amusement in her eyes as she notices the building fear in me. But I decided to stand my own ground.

“So be it then. It’s my own decision. I want to be close with you and know you, Sana.” The smirk in her face faded away. Her brows ceased to form a frown. “Just who are you?”

“I supposed I should be asking the same.” No it’s my turn to smirk. I still can’t decipher my feelings right now. I don’t even know where I got all this courage. All I know is I must befriend her, now or never.

“I’m giving you one last chance to get away from me, Kim. You don’t know who’s you’re messing with.”, “Yeah, I really don’t know. That’s why I want to be close with you, to have a chance to know you.” There came a few seconds of silence before she left out a sigh of defeat. She pulled her arm away from my hold.

“You’re seriously weird and annoying. Do whatever you want. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though.” Her back is now facing me. A smile crept up to my lips from the next thing she said. “Move your already. We’re gonna be late … Dahyun.”

I followed suit as she walk ahead of me. I felt like jumping nonstop due to too much happiness.‘Mission accomplished!’

Sana’s POV

Ever since I let Kim Dahyun into my life, everything is always loud and messy. She’s too bright and cheery, the total opposite of me.

I don’t even know why I let her be when I can just scare her off in the first place. Her presence never once disappeared as long as we’re inside the school grounds. Even when our grade levels are different, she never missed a single lunchtime not spending it with me.

And I don’t know if she put some tracking devices around me because everytime I decide to slack off and cut classes, she’ll be doing the same. Whether I’m at the roof top, in the library, or the school courtyard, she’ll always show up and accompany me. Pushing her away is futile. At first, I just let her be. Maybe she’ll get tired later on.

But things slowly changed. When she got sick for one whole week without me knowing, it made me restless. I acknowledged that I’m gradually getting fond of her presence. I missed her each day she didn’t able to attend school. And when I finally found out the reason why she’s always absent, another part of me surfaced.

I became caring as long as it’s her. I did everything I can at my very best to help her get well quickly. Of course, I didn’t tell her what’s actually happening to me inside as I take care of her. I gave random reasons and new subjects just to change the topic, specially the part on how I just miraculously know where her apartment is and got inside without having a spare key.

“I don’t know if you’re poisoning me or really just want to feed me with what you called food, but still … thatnk you, Sana-chan. That’s really sweet.” Those words may have been very offensive if the me before was the one who heard it, but the new me now turned into a blushing feat instead. That was the first time I ever feel light and warm.

My heart skipped a beat when her pale hand held my cheek, lightly pinching it before rubbing it with her thumb softly. It was something she alwaysdoes whenever she spends her times with me. I usually pry it away out of irritancy. But that time, I just don’t want her to stop.

“S-stupid! If I’ll poison you t-then I’ll rather give you a p-proper food instead to not make it n-noticeably weird!” My reply became messy and squeaky, something I never expected and only made me blush more in embarrassment. And even though you coughed repeatedly after laughing at me, you still smiled charmingly in the end, your eyes finally getting drowsy as the medicine I bought and gave you finally doing its work.

That day, I just stared at her sleeping, thinking of what’s happening to me. Thousands of questions invaded my head that time as the person who caused it all was in deep peaceful slumber beside me.

‘Please, don’t tell me I’m falling for such innocent angel. No, I shouldn’t. I better not.’

And the next week after, which is the day today, she’s now back to being chummy and annoying beside me while I try to push her away lightly. But who am I kidding? I’ve become much softer and let her be as of today. Before, I’ll glare at her constantly. Now, I can’t even help myself not to smile and feel happy at her presence.

I don’t know if she noticed my sudden change, because she also changed slowly. Her approach turned sweeter and very fluttering. She even flirts in some way which successfully caught me off guard, always.

But just as I realize my own feelings clearer than the day, the nature of my dark secrecy was also fast following behind. Then my mind turned alert and conscious. As much as I’m happy with this, I can’t just disregard the dirt I’m covering on my back, the dangerous hell on the tip of my tail. ‘My life as a yakuza.’

I don’t know if she already put it at the back of her mind for all this time. She never mentioned the incident back then nor asked what I really am. But she’s not dumb and slow. She did acknowledge how dangerous I am. Yet she approached and befriended someone like me as if it’s nothing. Maybe she is playing stupid at it, not minding the fact at all and kept going. ‘Isn’t she scared?’

I’m used to being composed, selfish and prideful, but all of that faded away because of her. I’m more scared now unlike that numb me from the past. I never expected it all to be like this. I’m now facing a nightmarish dilemma, and as much as I want to get away from it, I can’t. I’m already locked in it … in the thing called love.

I finally fell … so hard.‘Just what did you do, Kim Dahyun? Why someone like me?’

Dahyun’s POV

I noticed the sudden coldness of Sana. We’ve been friends for months now, almost a year to be fair.

It was a bliss but beautiful, memorable rather. My study is progressing fine, no sign of falter and failing at all. But I mind something else than that, something much deeper and sensitive for me.

‘I’m falling for Sana, harder and deeper than I thought.’

It’s not that impossible anyway. If you’ll give it a chance and great push, you’ll actually see the softest side of Minatozaki Sana. And I was shot by Cupid’s arrow as I spend more and more time with her. Maybe I already am into her even from the start. I’m just not that yet intelligent enough to acknowledge this type of feeling. After all, she’s the first person I ever fell in love with.

I know I gradually changed my way of talking to her, I can’t stop myself being flirty and all. I’m indirectly conveying my hidden feelings to her. But right now, we’re in a mess.

She’s been ignoring me from time to time, she also turning back into the Sana before … cold and unapproachable that emits nothing but danger. I didn’t give up though and still do the usual no matter how much she push me away. I don’t really know why at first … until I accidentally heard her conversation with someone I know is nothing but a gangster yesterday. ‘Her kind.’

I already know she’s a yakuza but I never minded that to the point where it’s already stuck somewhere unreachable inside my head. And now I finally understand. Why she’s being distant. Why she’s cautious at me all of a sudden.

“No. I won’t let this be. I will never be away from you. I’ll always be with you, Sana. Someone like me is ready to give her all for you.” I said as I look over our picture in my phone wallpaper. It was the first picture of us with me forcing you to look in the camera since you keep saying it’s stupid and childish.

I feel my lips turn up to form a smile. ‘Yup, I am in love with a gangster. And I will make her mine as my new YOLO mission.’