Ding Dong

Pieces Of Peace

Jeongyeon’s POV

With the help of Chaeng and me, we successfully hide Sana from our co-souliers and any deity’s eyes. Nayeon found a temporary seal that can cover Sana’s actual identity. She casted it to the former and it luckily worked pretty well. Since Sana’s innocence were back, it wasn’t that difficult to hide the fact that she’s a corrupted soul, or that she has a dark aura all over her.

“Yes, everything’s safe. Now we can breathe easier!” Chaeng exclaimed before plopping her lazy on my king-sized bed. Right now, we’re inside my house. Since Nayeon’s office is technically her house too, and Chaeyoung is a freeloader in my home, only I was the one who has an actual house to live at.

All five of us stayed inside my room, laying our tired bodies anywhere but the hard floor.

“Say, you two clearly know about your past life, right? Sana has hers all this time, and Dahyun finally got hers back. Can you tell us your story? How you two met or something and how you had your end?” I carefully asked. I didn’t see the nervousness in Sana’s eyes, or even in Dahyun, so I guessed that it’s safe.

“Ok. Sana-chan, can I have the privilege to do the story-telling?” Dahyun cutely said as she lay beside her girl. “Of course, Jagiya.” The other used her cringe-worthy aegyo while hugging the tofu soul. I just snorted at that. ‘I’m a lonely tiger with Nayeon and Jeong together with this cheesy couple.’

Dahyun cleared and all of us turn silent, waiting for her to begin. “So where should we start? Ah, it was about seventy years ago.”

Dahyun’s POV

(Earth: Seoul, South Korea…)

“Yeah, Unnie, I got the sweets and all. Don’t worry. I’ll be home before dinner. Bye.” I said to the phone before ending the call. I just got out from the convenience store, buying desserts and some other beverages for our little celebration later tonight.

I finally graduated from high school with a letter saying that I passed my entrance exam to the university I dreamt to study at. My sister-like friend, Jeongnam-unnie, decided to prepare this special night just for me. She was so glad knowing that I’m just a few more steps away from my longtime dream.

Being in camera lights is my aim since I was just a kid. No, not those model who view their visuals into the camera. What I want to be is a professional photographer. Ever since the first time my father handed me his DSLR to try out new things by my own, I grew fond on using it, even ending me having a special skill where I can sense wherever and whenever a camera is pointed at me.

I was damn happy when I got the news that I passed. It was like I’m in cloud nine for a few minutes until I heard a loud noise of trash bins being kicked down harshly and arrogant shouting coming from my left.

Being a nosy person wasn’t my forte, but little thing I notice for the first five seconds of this moment is that … my curiosity unexpectedly got the best of me. And before I know it, I was already in between of narrow walls and a dim passage way into the dumpsters. The noises gone louder until the owner of them are already visible in my eyes.

A girl is being pinned to the wall by a big guy. He has three more companions behind him. My grip over the plastic bag tightened from the scene I’m witnessing.

“Just because you’re a daughter of a yakuza doesn’t mean we’re scared of you! Maybe you’re forgetting that you’re in Korea right now, sweetheart.” The guy who’s pinning the girl yelled. The girl showed no signs of fear though. She just looked back coldly but I can tell she’s also feeling a little pain from the strong grip. Even though my eyesight’s not that good anymore, I saw the slight hiss she released from her red lips.

“You dare insult us, you ! Better get yourself prepared. You, my boys, and I will have some fun.” He smirked and his free hand went to take something out from his pocket. It was a small knife. The three other guys just sniggered as they watch in amusement over what their leader is doing.

I’m no hero and I’m certainly not brave, but I can’t just stay in my spot and act like I saw nothing. I didn’t even able to read my next actions. All I know was after I blinked my eyes for one second, that leading guy is now holding his head in pain while four pairs of eyes are looking directly straight into my spot. I saw the bottle of ketchup broken and scattered on the ground.‘Sorry for that, Jeongnam-unnie.’

I gulped as cold sweat formed and dripped down from my forehead. “Who the heck are you?” One of the other three guys asked in a very terrifying tone as he approached me with a bat on his right hand. My legs are technically malfunctioning and my hands are shaking in fear while on the other side, the girl is now free to go since the leader’s too hurt to even pin her over the wall again and the other guys are busy looking at me.

The goon is just two steps away from me and I stumbled back with the things I bought, all fell on the ground together with my . ‘This is it. I’m gonna be on the headlines for tomorrow’s news. I hope this guy won’t injure my body too much so it can be a little more presentable to the people.’ I prayed in my mind.

“You’re in a great mess, little missy.” He said while smirking. His grip on his bat became tighter and more threatening. “Yeah, I really am.” I weakly replied followed with a pathetic nervous laugh.

“You should have just stayed in bed rather than being such a nosy teenage girl.” He stood tall in front of me while I looked up to see him raising his bat above his head, ready to blow my poor brain off. ‘Mianhe, Jeongnam-unnie. I can’t reach until dinner after all.’

I closed my eyes, waiting for the blunt weapon to hit me hard. Instead of a sound of bone cracking, a loud bang from a gun illuminated my ears. With my heart beating so fast coz of fear, I slowly opened my eyes and saw the guy lying on the ground unconscious.

“Tsk! Had a nerve to hurt a girl but can faint so easily after getting a single shot. It’s not even aimed to his sensitive spots or anything.” It was the girl’s voice. It was really girly but too cold to be considered innocent and kind. She’s holding a handgun and was staring disgustedly over the goons on the ground. I was still processing what happened when I felt her eyes on me.

I stared back and felt my blood run so cold. She was aiming her gun at me now. “Feel like peeing your pants?” She monotonously asked, unlocking the safe of her gun. Having no strength to speak up, I just shook my head like a scared kid being bullied by her big bad classmates.

She snorted and retrieved her gun, putting it back into her pocket after locking back the safe. “I won’t thank you. It’s not my style. But I’m still grateful for your stupid act so feel free to go, pretty girl. You got no business here anymore. I’ll act as if I didn’t see your pale face here and I prefer you’ll do the same.”

I looked back to the men on the ground. All of them are down unconscious. ‘Did she really beat all of them, or worse, kill them?’

“And next time … think before you act. Not all day you’re lucky.” She then walked away as if nothing happened. Before her figure completely disappeared from my sight, and maybe from my life, I shouted something seriously stupid and unexpected that even I can’t believe my own mouth had such guts tosay it.

“I’m Kim Dahyun!”

I saw her stopped on her track. Feeling my blood gone cold more than twice today, I just buckled my body for the next scenario of my life. But my whole being also stopped after seeing her turn to me with such confused expression that even my heart seemed to skip a beat at the image.

Her cold expression that’s almost looks like scrutinizing my act rather than getting confused, softened and a very slight smile appeared over her lips. It’s more like a smirk actually but it was still beautiful and a hundred percent genuine. “I didn’t ask, stupid.” Then she looked away, sighing so lightly then a giggle comes after. “But it’s Sana.” And she’s finally gone.

It took me several minutes before I regained my senses and also left the place, taking back all of my things inside the plastic bag and patted away the dust off my pants. While walking away, there’s one thing stuck inside my head. No, it’s not the horrible images of what happened earlier. Not even those ugly and creepy looking guys that are still lying around that narrow space. I ain’t having any sign of possible trauma about it at all.

What’s been pinned over my brain full of jumbled thoughts … is her …‘Sana’.

Her cute stunning face didn’t seem to leave my mind. No matter how dark it was on that place, I can fully define her every features as if a spotlight is specially directed to her spot just for me to record and remember every details. My photographic memory goes on overdrive, saving hundreds of pictures of her into my head.

But her gun, the guy mentioning about yakuza, and the dark atmosphere around her, all of it pertains that she’s not like those ordinary girls. And I can bet my life that she’s a very dangerous gangster. ‘I should stay away from her, right? All of those signs are precautions for me to be careful around her, right?’

Well, there’s a high possibility that we won’t cross paths again anyway, she said it herself. And if ever, we’ll both act like we never met at all. She and I are polar opposite, and I sure don’t want to endanger my poor life and receive a bullet straight to my already pale body. ‘But why am I thinking about her? Why is that there’s a very small part of me wanting to know her?’

I started ruffling my hair hard in confusion. “God, what am I gonna do? Just why am I being weird over a stranger?! A gun-holding, seriously perilous, cold-looking … beautiful stranger.” I suddenly blushed for no reason at my last words.

‘Yup, I’ll be pretty restless from now on because of a beautiful gangster. God, why are you pulling me into such confusion all of a sudden, Sana?!’