Flower Road

Flower Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was so good back then
If only I was with you
Even though it was lonely and sad at times
If only I went through it with you
Sing it na na na
Sing it na na na
This isn’t the last time for us
Please, let’s meet again when the flowers bloom

 

Falling in love with your bestfriend is already a common scenario, right? Especially when it's an unrequited love. You know, him being extra-caring that will give you mixed-signals about his true intentions. Him, being extra-tentative that will satisfy your egoistic attention span. Him being extra-thoughtful that will make others think differently about his real feelings towards you.

Him...being him. The super nice guy that can melt every girls' bones just by showing his gentleman side. 

Him...being the clueless him. That one guy who knows nothing about your feelings for him despite the world understanding all the hints. 

Him...being the stupid him. That person who doesn't notice the pain you keep on hiding.

Kwon Jiyong...the sole man I love since I was fifteen. That one guy who will never ever learn to love me back just because...I am nothing but a best friend. 

 

"Hey...you are zoning out again." he gently pinches my nose, pulling me back to reality.

I smile though I know it fails to reach my eyes. "I am just...thinking of something."

"Come on Chae, it's my farewell get together. I don't want you to think of anything else."

I look around and watch our friends exchanging some funny memories about him. Ahreum, Taehee, Soonho Oppa, my sister Harin, Bajowoo Oppa and GeeEun Unnie are all here with the two of us, spending our brunch as a mini send-off party to Jiyong Oppa. It was supposed to be just the two of us but I've decided to call them because I know I won't be able to control my emotion. I don't want him to find out about how I feel towards him...not now.

He grabs my bowl and put some side dishes, "Here, you should eat more."

"I am fine Oppa. Thank you." I sigh. My heart can't help but to skip a beat whenever he does that. I reprimand myself for expecting beyond what he can offer to me. That is utterly embarrassing.

He scoots closer to me and put his arm around me, "You are out of yourself Chae. Are you sad that I won't be around for 2 years? I can bring you inside with me."

Ahreum squeals while Taehee and Soonho Oppa whistle. The rest are clapping while watching us. "You look like a newly wed. Hyorin and Youngbae should see this!" GeeEun Unnie said as she snapped a picture of us.

Jiyong Oppa snorts as he messes with my hair by pulling and throwing away my black cap, "This annoying kid. I might die early if I will really end up with her." he teases me which earn a follow up laughter from the crew.

I feel like shrinking in embarrassment, yet I tried to fight back. "Jiyong Oppa and I will never happen. How can I marry my own brother? That's funny. Right Oppa?"

He hums an 'uh-uh' tone and retrieve his arm. Soonho Oppa offers him a cigarrete and he gladly accepts it. "I better light a pack before military rules take them away."

"Stop smoking Oppa."

He chuckles, "See Chae? That's the reason why you can't be a wife yet. You should know how to give into a man's sinful pleasure sometimes."

I bite my lower lip, feeling slightly offended with his words, "Don't worry Oppa. I won't date a man who endulge himself with your so called 'sinful pleasure'. That's a taboo for me."

"Good for you then." he shrugs and look at Soonho Oppa, "Hey, let's go outside. Chae might beat me before I can enter the army over this." he points his cigar.

I watch as he walks away with the rest of the boys. Sighing, I was about to continue eating when I spot my sister giving me a knowing look.

I know she knows what I really feel.

 

After the brunch, the gang decided to kill time in his PMO headquarter till dinner. Ahreum and Taehee left first followed by the rest of the crew. I was about to leave with Harin too but Jiyong Oppa asked for my help in choosing some arts he was about to ship in his new coffee shop in Jeju. We also had our quick dinner in his area while we were debating over some words and quotes he should doodle on his ACIIIT.

"You sure you prefer walking home?" he asks while checking his phone out. We just finished sorting some of his designs.

"Yeah, I need some exercise too. I'm getting fat."

He eyed my body and I fight the urge to squirm under his gaze, "Yeah, you gain some serious weight Chae. Men like their women slim and fit."

"You and your skinny barbie fantasies." I roll my eyes. "No thanks. I'd rather look fat than become one of those starved beauties."

"Up to you." he shrugs his shoulder. "Anyway, mind to accompany me for a walk instead?"

I check the time. It's already 10:00PM. "Is it safe?"

He scoffs, "Not like fans aren't used seeing us together. Nobody will mind."

"That's not what I mean. Let's go then." I stand up and wear my jacket as he follows suit.

 

"So I guess you won't be around on my birthday?" I ask as we walk in the nearby park. Only few people are around and they seem didn't notice us.

"Uh-uh. I need to open the Untitled 2017 the day before your birthday...and I have to enlist the day after. Aish, I am so busy." he pouts.

"It's okay Oppa. We can celebrate next time, when you finally finish your mandatory service."

"Chae... you are my bestfriend, always remember that."

I bitterly chuckle. Of course I know. How am I gonna forget that? You've been rubbing that bitter truth on my face till the day we meet you know. "Yes Oppa."

"Can...Can I ask a favor then?"

I nod, bracing myself. Somehow, I already got a clue what his favor will be about.

"You...you do know about this girl I like, right?"

I bite my lower lip as my eyes went misty. Thank God the darkness around hides my gloomy face. "Y-Yeah. That L-Lee Unnie? Jooyeon right?"

He hums again, "Lee Unnie." he chuckles, "Anyway, about my favor..."

"Spill it."

"Take care of her for me, okay?" Jiyong smiles at me as he says his last goodbye before entering the military. We might not meet again for a long time after tonight.

I forcefully smiles, unable to turn down the sole request of the man I secretly loved. "O-Okay...I promise Oppa."

"If someone tries to court her, tell me immediately. I will escape and behead that poor guy!" he jokes.

"I will." I reply, sorrowfully.

"You are the best friend ever!" he circle his arm around my head. "A bit stupid sometimes though..."

"I know Oppa...I know."

"I'm gonna miss you Chae...a lot."

My heart skips a beat due to his sincerity. "I will miss you too...but don't worry. I won't visit you."

"Why is that?" he frowns.

"You probably wanted someone to visit you instead." I try to . "So I will give away my slot."

"Chae, I--"

"Just kidding! Do you think I can do that? I might be your first visitor whether you like it or not."

"That...Much more to happen than not." he laughs. "Oh, by the way...Bigbang will drop a digital single after Dae and Bae enlist. My basic training isn't done yet by that time so I better tell you in advance. I want you to do something for me." he smiles.

"I thought you will only ask one favor." I sigh, "What more?"

I send something in your house and it will be delivered on the first week of March. Open it for me when the single drops."

"Tsk!" I scoff. "Yeah right. Is it a gift you're supposed to give her? Perhaps the original drafts of the song? I know you Oppa so don't lie to me. Why don't you just send it to Jooyeon's address instead?"

He scowls. "You are no fun Chae."

"Fine. I will do it for you." I shake my head. I know him. He wanted to keep the surprise more...romantic.

"There's an instructions inside. Make sure to follow them all, okay?"

"Okay...fine~." I roll my eyes.

 

"Unnie? Aren't you going to send Jiyong Oppa today? Seunghyun Oppa and the managers will accompany him right?" Harin lazily asks me as she lies on the couch with Donut.

"He doesn't need me there."

"Says who? You are his bestfriend. For sure--"

"Enough Harin. I'm sleepy." I said.

The doorbell rings before I can run back to my room. I open the door instead, only to find the package that Jiyong Oppa sent to me.

I frown. "I thought it will come on the first week of March? It's still February."

"What's that Unnie?"

"Nothing." I sigh and take the package with me.

 

He told me to open the package when their upcoming song drops but being the curious kid, I find myself opening the box. Jiyong Oppa won't know that I took a quick peek on his girl's gift, right?

Or maybe he knows?

Once I open the package, a white envelope containing his handwritten letter is plastered on top of a smaller box. The letter is addressed to me.

 

Chaerin,

You annoying Brat. I know you so well and I am hundred percent sure you will open this ahead of time...

 

I chuckle at his words. He surely knows me that much.

 

...Chaerin-ah, Oppa lied when I said the package will reach you later than today. I know we won't be able to spend your birthday together but how can I miss your important day when I've been waiting for it too? Did you celebrate well? Were you happy yesterday?

I was hoping that I will catch one last glance of you but I know it's much better not to. I might not be able to carry on with my duty and just go with you instead. That will be funny, right?

 

My tears fall as I can't help but hear his voice as if he's telling those words to me instead. That naggy Oppa surely knows how to send mix signals even by a mere letter!

 

By the time you are reading this, I'm already inside the camp...getting my first injury. Just kidding! Visit me often okay? Now listen to me...the below box contains my birthday gift to you...

 

I carefully caress the small box and smile at his thoughfulness. "How can I not fall in love with this perfect guy? I just can't help it Oppa...I am so sorry for feeling this way towards you."

 

...but you better open this on March 13. That's when the time YG will release our music. Promise me Chaerin. Just this once...listen to me and follow what I said. DON'T OPEN THE GIFT TODAY! Listen to the song first. Promise me okay?

I know I said it before but I'm going to say it again. I will miss you Chaerin. Happy birthday.

Let's meet again when the flower blooms...

 

Your One and Only Handsome Oppa, KJY.

 

I laugh at his capital letters. "Aigoo, as if your words can scare me." I grab the box and kisses it. "But don't worry Oppa, I will follow you. Whatever you are planning...No matter what type of song you're gonn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter